Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I see not much has changed then

2»

Comments

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

Thought about playing tonight. Logged in and even thought about buying the expac Makib (or what ever it's called). But then I realized my characters had all run out of level-appropriate quests during the time I played on just premium account.

So now, even if I buy the expac and sub, my characters are woefully behind the leveling curve.  That's when I  logged off.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Drakephire

Thought about playing tonight. Logged in and even thought about buying the expac Makib (or what ever it's called). But then I realized my characters had all run out of level-appropriate quests during the time I played on just premium account.

So now, even if I buy the expac and sub, my characters are woefully behind the leveling curve.  That's when I  logged off.

Not sure what you mean at all , ran out of level appropriate quests ? Can you elaborate a bit more ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Not sure what you mean at all , ran out of level appropriate quests ? Can you elaborate a bit more ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

yeah. As an example, my 23rd level Sentinel has finished all of Taris and is now on Tatooine. All the quests are orange or red. The leveling penalty for premium players eventually locks you out of content.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It is still as much fun as it was. Which means, moderate solid fun, but nothing to write home about.

It is sad that THE singlemost expensive MMo of the biggest IP ever fell so short. Can't say Bioware lacked good avise, because by all means they COULD have made better. Autopilot seems to describe it well. Though I assume the cash shops does at least bring back the money. Who knows how good their pofit is.

I recall Ohlen said some time ago, it wasn't the VO which was so expensive it was the crappy engine which could initially only handle a dozen people, if you can believe it. So I guess the game is stuck tech-wise. Sad to see they made so little of it in those 2 years they managed it. They never recovered from the narrow-minded, self-righteous and arrogant concept designed by the original crew which now is mostly gone; guys like "players can't identify with non-humans" Mr Erickson. God, I hope that man NEVER gets NEAR a MMO in development. Liek ever. This Joseph Campbell-like "Hero Story" archetypes are just so OVERUSED, and Star Wars simply didn't know whent to quit that idea.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Elikal

It is still as much fun as it was. Which means, moderate solid fun, but nothing to write home about.

It is sad that THE singlemost expensive MMo of the biggest IP ever fell so short. Can't say Bioware lacked good avise, because by all means they COULD have made better. Autopilot seems to describe it well. Though I assume the cash shops does at least bring back the money. Who knows how good their pofit is.

I recall Ohlen said some time ago, it wasn't the VO which was so expensive it was the crappy engine which could initially only handle a dozen people, if you can believe it. So I guess the game is stuck tech-wise. Sad to see they made so little of it in those 2 years they managed it. They never recovered from the narrow-minded, self-righteous and arrogant concept designed by the original crew which now is mostly gone; guys like "players can't identify with non-humans" Mr Erickson. God, I hope that man NEVER gets NEAR a MMO in development. Liek ever. This Joseph Campbell-like "Hero Story" archetypes are just so OVERUSED, and Star Wars simply didn't know whent to quit that idea.

We only got a gleam into SWTOR's budget because of the EALouse, which in turn caused a deeper look.  I'd bet that if any financial info on EQN was ever released it would be comparable.  While SOE is using a lot of COTS / pre-fab components, they are all quite costly, collectively.

SWTOR has the unique disadvantage of giving LucasArts (now Disney) a royalty, speculated by financial groups at 30%.

But yes, SWTOR was mismanaged.  There is a huge number of reasons why, but I feel EA buying BioWare was the #1 (5000 word essay condensed to a couple sentences, sorry).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

yea, they had resources and Manpower, that most other mmos can only dream of

i wouldnt be surprised, if the next incarnation is in the Works already,  since they began working on this one

in 2005

Cheers,

BadOrb.

yeah. As an example, my 23rd level Sentinel has finished all of Taris and is now on Tatooine. All the quests are orange or red. The leveling penalty for premium players eventually locks you out of content.

O you mean preferred player , I see well you have a number of choices there. I will mention a few , Flashpoints , Warzones , go back to taris and do some heroic 2's maybe with people. 

Here's my thread on how to get quick xp on tatooine.

Two heroic 2's are require to obtain 30,000 xp in 12 mins. They are on the republic side of Tatooine. It takes a bit of travelling to start with , if you are new on that character on the planet. Firstly you need to open two outposts , Thorazan in the Dune Sea ( the furthest left hand side taxi on the map ) and outpost Espelar Settlement speeder ( Far right taxi on the map). You can open them by just travelling ( so i guess this is for alt's or if you have the patience your first character). I did them both at level 26 but I guess you could be lower. Also at Outpost Espelar start and finish the mission off the Jawa called Krikit ( it's the mission were you rescue 8 caged Jawa's) , Expect to die a few times. After handing it in , a Mission terminal will glow and give you one of the missions).

So the first mission is Breaking the code [H2] , it's very easy , at outpost Espelar mission terminal. Run into the doorway , run right and up the ramp ( you might die once or twice ) , press the button. Now return and hand in the mission.

The second mission is at outpost Thorazan , it' s the alien on the right called Lapad Dula , he gives you the mission The Long Goodbye [H2] , it is also easy. Just get to the very edge of the sarlac pit and then throw in a bomb , return to Lapad Dula.

That's it 30,000 Xp , o and the 12 mins is from cantina to cantina ( once you open the ouposts ofcourse). It is expecially usefull if you leave a character on Tatooine for a few days , I should imagine you could do these two missions from about 25-33. If you have questions ask away and happy hunting. I also tested going there at 23 and it works.

TL;DR
    Outpost Espelar Settlement speeder , do mission [H2] Breaking the code , then at Outpost Thorazan , do the mission [H2] The long goodbye.

link -: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=527953&highlight=heroic

That should do it  , good luck.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

so , what youre saying is, that he has to grind XP, to continue his STORY DRIVEN mmo?

and furthermore, use exploits, to do so?

am i the only one seeing several problems here?

Originally posted by simplius

so , what youre saying is, that he has to grind XP, to continue his STORY DRIVEN mmo?

If you think playing a game for 12 mins a day is a grind then I'm not sure what rock you have been living under and there was no mention of any exploits in my post. Also they can then do some heroic 2's on taris too , still no grind. I never told him to kill 1 mil rats now did I ? Mind you that is another option I guess but that would then be a grind , which I never mentioned. As to the exploit comment , again you must have a mansion under that rock.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I remember that EALouse bit, nobody believed him and responded with "source" "screenshot or it didn't happen" "troll" "fake and gay", etc. lol. But what EALouse said became true in many ways, Bioware was once a fantastic company only destroyed by EA, EA has destroyed quite a few companies besides Bioware.

I also remember midway through the CU in SWG I saw articles about SWG's "New Gaming Enhacement" tested by the writer and raving about how good it is, we ALL thought that was a joke article because there was NO way SOE would shove the NGE 5 months through the CU, but it happened and man did it ever suck.

If you think playing a game for 12 mins a day is a grind then I'm not sure what rock you have been living under and there was no mention of any exploits in my post. Also they can then do some heroic 2's on taris too , still no grind. I never told him to kill 1 mil rats now did I ? Mind you that is another option I guess but that would then be a grind , which I never mentioned. As to the exploit comment , again you must have a mansion under that rock.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

repeating a mission=grind, but of course, a 12 minute grind is not bad

but my point is the levelling curve,,something is borked there

even the most grindy Eastern mmos dont make the player REPEAT missions, before endgame

i have only seen this problem in 2 other games, STO, and scarlet blade

exploit was prolly too strong , but you have to admit, that it is not good gameplay

yes, i have a mansion..and if you get any skills, you might get one too

Cheers,

BadOrb.

repeating a mission=grind, but of course, a 12 minute grind is not bad

but my point is the levelling curve,,something is borked there

even the most grindy Eastern mmos dont make the player REPEAT missions, before endgame

i have only seen this problem in 2 other games, STO, and scarlet blade

exploit was prolly too strong , but you have to admit, that it is not good gameplay

yes, i have a mansion..and if you get any skills, you might get one too

He could also do some heroic's on Nar Shadda. What i think is wrong really is that when they decided to implement the freemium model they didn't work out the levelling curve for  F2P and / or Preferred properly. the game was designed as a sub game and with all the xp and resting xp , so because of the xp restrictions for F2P and preferred then you might have to do other missions to level as well as the class stories and side stories.

Still don't know what you mean about what I advised isn't good gameplay ? He wouldn't have to just do those 2 missions he could at least try some of the side stories on Tatooine , but surely after doing some heroics on Taris , Nar Shadda and Tatooine then after say 1-3 days he would be more than ready to start tatooine properly.

I just need to get tha skillz to buy a under rock mansion , meh i bettar get training.( I don't normally spell that badly btw ).

Wait a min you played Scarlet Blade ? I hope you don't go blind and also that you don't compare SWTOR to that game ever again.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

mmos are about choices, a player usually has 3 choices:

solo PVE (which most of the content is centered around)

PVP

raiding

when you remove solo PVE, you lose at least 50% of the players

and dont underestimate scarlet blade..yes it is a very primitive game, but its also cheap

seeing, that shaiya is still around, i have no doubt , that scarlet blade will outlive swtor

mmos are about choices, a player usually has 3 choices:

solo PVE (which most of the content is centered around)

PVP

raiding

when you remove solo PVE, you lose at least 50% of the players

and dont underestimate scarlet blade..yes it is a very primitive game, but its also cheap

seeing, that shaiya is still around, i have no doubt , that scarlet blade will outlive swtor

Yeah that's why I mentioned those 2 missions , you can solo them. Also there is at least 2 heroic 2's on Taris that he can solo , so that's 4 missions. All in all though , I can see why some F2P and preferred players might stop playing. That's if they don't work things out like i did , even though I am a subbed. I like to be ahead of the leveling curve.

Scarlet Blade is cheap and primitive you say , well ill knock it on the head and drag it back to my cave. You might be right about it being around longer than SWTOR but that's only because of SWTOR's license of it's IP.

Well I'm off to solo 3 heroic 2's on tatooine on the Imperial side. Incase that one guy has an IMP that's apparently stuck as well. Here's a quick guide for it .

There are 3 Heroic 2's you can do on a daily basis ( if you have other characters to play on in the mean time ). The first one is at the first taxi drop off ( after the starting area ) , it's from a guy stood outside the burning transprter ( he says " aerial bombardment " when you hand in the mission ). This mission takes a bit of practice at level 24 but you can do it , just don't attack the mobs where there are 3 next to each other , you run and click on all the boxes and speeders then run off , then kill the 3 single walkers and any groups of 2 and you will be done.

The second Heroic 2 is called black box , I forget the outpost name ( which doesn't help , but just look t up on the net ) , now this one is even easier ( not sure at 24 though ) , you basically twist and turn and avoid every sand person , then you get to the tent with 3 sand people outside it , kill them , then pick up the black box. Then run for your life if you die just come back at the med droid and hand it in.

The third one is quite tough ( so maybe level up a couple on those first 2 ) , but you can finish it . It's at the dune sea outpost and it involves prisoners and jedi. The best thing to do is kill two prisoners next to the jedi then evade. Then kill two more , until you have killed ( 5 i think it is ) enough , basically you don't have to finish the bonus until you are level 27-28 really. Then hand it in. 

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

I think he is missing the obvious.  He should be buying XP boosts off the Auction house.  They are dirt cheap 500 credits or so and you dont' have to spend any real money.

But the bigger question is why is someone who only has a level 23 thinking of buying the level 50-55 expansion?  if he wants to level faster then he should be spending the $15 on a sub and get everything unlocked and 500 Cartel coins.  Then he should also add the security key for free and get an extra 100 CC 

He will get that free 100 CC even if he unsubs.  

If you play the free version of the game with out any thought yeah you can run into problems.  But if you pay attention and play smart then you can easily play everything in the game with out spending a dime of real money.  Well except for the expansion.  

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Frostvein
    Originally posted by Davynelord
    Bottom line, gamers need to stop acting like their S***T don't stink and realize that nobody's rig is flawless....and all the issues we have aren't always the fault of the developers, servers or the game's we play.   Try to play a game on different PC's before you assume the problem lies with the game your playing....when a game runs near flawless on one PC and runs like trash on yours...guess what, it's your rig that's the issue, not the game.

Let me try and understand this -

My PC, custom built new in January 2012 gets over 70+ FPS in battle situations in several newer, more graphically intensive games like TERA GW2, with performance usually running around 100 FPS. In several older MMO's (WOW, for example) I run upwards of 120+ FPS (all with zero lag, mind you) With single player games, Skyrim, Crysis, Bioshock, I'm consistently running over 100 FPS, spiking over 120.

Yet in SWTOR, I cant get more than 60, ANYWHERE, and as soon as someone comes on screen it drops to about 30, 35. Fleet runs at around 20.

So dspite all of this, you want to tell me that my rig is the reason why my performance suffers? Am I supposed to believe that my PC is the problem, even though every other game I am playing or have played recently has zero performance issues?

First of all, no game or PC  has zero performance issues...

What I am saying is most gamers who buy or build a monster rig automatically assume that they are immune to performance issues just because they think they have the best of the best parts.    That's what I mean by saying "...acting like their **** don't stink".    it's that classic case of thinking you have the best that money can buy and so your beyond the petty issues that others have who spend less or who put together a less than stellar rig.

Secondly, I'm not always saying everyone's pc is the only issue when they have problems with game performance...I'm saying an extremely high percentage of gamers never eliminate possible issues on their end first before blaming a game or developer or server for the perceived performance issues. 

For instance, everytime people lag in a game the first thing they often say is how bad the servers are...they never wonder if there was some kind of interference on their end that caused the lag spike.        When it comes to load times, if you don't have a SSD and you complain about load times for a game, it's a good chance that you will see vast improvements by using a SSD instead of a mechanical drive...in that instance, one can say it's your rig or parts in your rig (hardware or software) that is the issue, not the game.

Another example, which is personal experience....I once said SWTOR performance sucked myself but then not long ago I went and found out there was  a new drive update for my vid card...installed it and a lot of issues I had before disappeared...so was it the game or my rig?  It was my rig because I had outdated drivers....

Everything else I said was a personal experience that allowed me to see how ignorant I was being about my rig...while I thought I had a great rig, having playing the game on a friends rig, It showed me that I was wrong about my rig...

Lastly, perception is a big flaw in the human race....the funny thing is we never know we have perception problems until someone or something proves it to us...that's just human nature...we always think we are right about everything we decide until we are shown how wrong we are.

Quick edit:  I am not saying that the game is never at fault or that it's never the cause of bad performance...SWTOR clearly is not a well optimized game (I can tell that by how bad the RAM management in this game is)....but remember, a connection is a two way street...one end can't always be perfect while the other is always riddled with problems...sometimes both end have problems sometimes neither....but before we complain, I say at least figure out AND PROVE which end is at fault before making wild accusations that lead less informed readers believing the allegations that we spew across forums like these...

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Frostvein
    Originally posted by Davynelord
    Bottom line, gamers need to stop acting like their S***T don't stink and realize that nobody's rig is flawless....and all the issues we have aren't always the fault of the developers, servers or the game's we play.   Try to play a game on different PC's before you assume the problem lies with the game your playing....when a game runs near flawless on one PC and runs like trash on yours...guess what, it's your rig that's the issue, not the game.

Let me try and understand this -

My PC, custom built new in January 2012 gets over 70+ FPS in battle situations in several newer, more graphically intensive games like TERA GW2, with performance usually running around 100 FPS. In several older MMO's (WOW, for example) I run upwards of 120+ FPS (all with zero lag, mind you) With single player games, Skyrim, Crysis, Bioshock, I'm consistently running over 100 FPS, spiking over 120.

Yet in SWTOR, I cant get more than 60, ANYWHERE, and as soon as someone comes on screen it drops to about 30, 35. Fleet runs at around 20.

So dspite all of this, you want to tell me that my rig is the reason why my performance suffers? Am I supposed to believe that my PC is the problem, even though every other game I am playing or have played recently has zero performance issues?

Don't worry, I am currently designing a building in 3D for a space agency to prepare their future rockets....those drawings have every bolt and nail drawn in with full detail connected to a material database so we can see what's needed to built that assembly hall.

That rig has 3gb worth in SSD space, Intel I7 cpu, Windows 7 (w8 is sh*t as everyone knows) , 32gb memory and a Geforce Titan built in.

and it still can't run a single Warzone in Swtor without going to 1 frame/5secs when >2ppl start spamming aoe spells.

Bioware recommended upgrading the hardware to more modern specs.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"