Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF RPG

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I am looking for a RPG to play. 

Singleplayer

In the last 10 years or so

On PC

I do not want action combat.  I have been playing a lot of Skyrim and now want an old school turn based game.  I think I have played all of the ones in the last 5 years. 

I am looking for a game with more strategy and customization. 

Good story.

Decent graphics.  I prefer not having click to move.  I have a ton of controlers so it can be a port from a console.

Thanks in advance.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Well their is Might and Magic X deluxe preorder  that one can play the Beta right now, though it feels more like alpha.  The game is due to release in January.  Only 30 bucks.  Of course your limited to only the early stuff.

There is also Legend of Grimrock, story isn't really the strong suite I think but more of reverting back to old school RPG mechanics.

Both games are tile based movement with M&M X being turn based so you can carefully think out attacks while Legend of Grimrock is sort of turn based as you have to wait for your turn again but mobs will attack whenever their attack is done cooling down.

Old school turn based games withing the last 10 years will be real hard to find as RPGs went away from turn based a long time ago and only recently returning.

Shadowrun Returns also comes to mind which allows UGC and there is a new campaign coming out in Oct I think.  Shadowrun I think would be your best bet.

Or if you like strategy games there is always Heroes of Might and Magic 6.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I have already played Legend of Grimrock.

Not sold on M&M. 

I guess it is further waiting.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

The Witcher series

The Witcher 1 (great story, poor combat, drm free)

The Witcher 2 (amaizing graphics, the best story, medium combat->after installing combat mob released by devs it is way better, DRM free)

In 2014 The Witcher 3 :)

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by rastapastor

The Witcher series

The Witcher 2 (amaizing graphics, the best story, medium combat->after installing combat mob released by devs it is way better, DRM free)

Where can I get that mod.  The Combat in Witcher 1 was horrible.

Although if i want action combat in with swords I can play Skyrim.

--John Ruskin

• gaiusmariusgaiusmarius Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by MMOman101
    Originally posted by rastapastor

The Witcher series

Where can I get that mod.  The Combat in Witcher 1 was horrible.

Although if i want action combat in with swords I can play Skyrim.

The Witcher series and TES series are completely different games. You can't exactly say it's action combat with swords. It's a true masterpiece of RPG. 

The mod in question: http://witcher2.nexusmods.com/mods/635//?

Makes a lot of changes other than just combat.

[Playing] SW:ToR
    [Played] AoC, WoW, Rift, EQ 1, 2, SWG, DAoC, WAR, GW1, EVE, PotBS.
    [Watching] GW2, Archage

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Kingdom of Amalur is what you are looking for! Is on PC,Xbox 360, and PS3, I currently play it on PC and PS3, Its R.A Salvatore at his best! Im about 10% into the game with about 20 hours spent. But im a side quest junkie! And KoA has lots of them, The combat is brutal. Lotsof combat, magic, crafting,, Should give it a try!
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Expeditions: Conquistador has great writing, turn-based combat, HoMM-like overworld traveling and lots of other goodies. It's an indie game, too, so it's pretty cheap on Steam.

Other than that, Temple of Elemental Evil has the best D&D combat in my opinion, but its story is very generic. If you decide to play it, download the Circle of Eight mod/patch, because the game is full of bugs without it.

While they're not RPGs and have forgettable stories, XCOM, Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2 and King's Bounty: Crossworlds are great turn-based games with character development. XCOM is the prettiest and newest, but Silent Storm and JA2 are deeper and (IMO) better.

I'd recommend against Amalur, because it has action combat and is very generic storywise. It has great lore, but IMO it's pretty much just an inferior version of Skyrim.

• mersant12mersant12 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    aarklash: coming out in sept.active pause system.looking good.
  • Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Expeditions: Conquistador has great writing, turn-based combat, HoMM-like overworld traveling and lots of other goodies. It's an indie game, too, so it's pretty cheap on Steam.

Other than that, Temple of Elemental Evil has the best D&D combat in my opinion, but its story is very generic. If you decide to play it, download the Circle of Eight mod/patch, because the game is full of bugs without it.

While they're not RPGs and have forgettable stories, XCOM, Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2 and King's Bounty: Crossworlds are great turn-based games with character development. XCOM is the prettiest and newest, but Silent Storm and JA2 are deeper and (IMO) better.

I'd recommend against Amalur, because it has action combat and is very generic storywise. It has great lore, but IMO it's pretty much just an inferior version of Skyrim.

It's still massively buggy even with it. I cursed so loudly when I realized Maximize Spell wasn't working on my Cure spells. Worked fine on others, but Cure Spells ignored it. Waste of a precious feat ><

But I'd recommend that as well, if it weren't for the fact that ToEE has a very poor story. It's always been a monty python haul hack and slash module, really.

Still, if you can look past the bugs and live with the story, it's turn-based combat is very top notch. I wish others would use a similar system.

Beyond that, Agarest War is coming out on PC soon enough. It's been on PS3/360 for a while, so you can easily find videos of it. It may suit your fancy.

Drakensaang RPGs, while I do not enjoy personally, I would still recommend. They are not turn-based though, and are more akin to Infinity Engine (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.) style pause-and-play. They are from a small studio, so don't expect excellent polish.

Turn-based RPGs, especially on PC, have definitely been a dormant genre for a while.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by xpowderx
    Kingdom of Amalur is what you are looking for! Is on PC,Xbox 360, and PS3, I currently play it on PC and PS3, Its R.A Salvatore at his best! Im about 10% into the game with about 20 hours spent. But im a side quest junkie! And KoA has lots of them, The combat is brutal. Lotsof combat, magic, crafting,, Should give it a try!

MMOman sorry, misread your OP while I was at work. KOA is definitely not for you if you are looking for a non action rpg. I recommend Wizard101 or Pirate101. They are mmorpgs but have some of the best turn based combat out currently. You can try either free til level 15 or so.

Now your next bet is a Playstation EMU. Just to get a hold of Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy 1-7. Chrono Trigger. Also a Genesis Emu would do well. With Genesis, you get the entire Shining Force rpgs. But in all honesty, the Final Fantasy set the era for turn based rpgs. That and of course the best rpg of that era which is Chronotrigger!

Also I believe on PC you can still get your hands on Wizardry 10 which is a killer turn based rpg for the PC.

• Reiken_BirgeReiken_Birge Member UncommonPosts: 59

If you like Cyberpunk and Fantasy you might like Shadow Run Returns. It's turn based and very mod friendly so you'll have lots to play with.

Its only real down fall is the lack of a proper save system so you'll be going from check point to check point. Luckily there are plenty of them in the base campaign though. With custom campaigns it's hit or miss.

Kingdom of Knights - Community Manager