Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth coming back - GW 2

kasyoskasyos Member UncommonPosts: 23

Hi ,

I'm thinking about coming back to GW 2 after leaving it few months ago.

The only thing is , I'm not sure is it worth it because I'm a casual player so one week I may play for few hours,another one for much more or less.

Is it possible to catch up a bit gearwise with other players or it's a loosing battle due to much grinding need?

I like PVE but some PVP from time to time as well.

Any advice on that will be more than welcome please.

Comments

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129
    Well I am also a casual player and after a few months of break I came back and I'm enjoying it. If it's worth or not I can't answer you, because that's completely up to you... DO you feel like playing? I fealt like playing it and so I did. Did some content that I haven't done before, did some Living Stories, mostly do sPvP, also some WvW... Basically I'm doing a bit of everything. You're probably going to get some rewards from achievement chests, which should help you get some exotic armor from WvW vendors right away if your armor isn't great, you could also buy a piece of ascended jewelry maybe...
  • crashdxcrashdx Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by kasyos

Hi ,

The only thing is , I'm not sure is it worth it because I'm a casual player so one week I may play for few hours,another one for much more or less.

Is it possible to catch up a bit gearwise with other players or it's a loosing battle due to much grinding need?

If you still have your account to come back is completely free. So load it up and see. There is no gear grind here, if you had exotic gear before you left you still have top tier gear. You can get ascended items but you don't need them.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Out of every mmorpg there is, GW2 requires the least grind to get gear. Since there's no "real" gear progression.

You can get gear just by doing dailies and monthlies. I still don't have ascended gear and I'm doing just fine in PVP or PVE.

I'm playing rarely now because I've got no time for it, but when I manage to log in I always have fun without feeling any disadvantage because I'm not ascended geared.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    If you haven't reached max level on a character it's definitely worth it.  I feel like the main shortcoming was lack of long-form PVE progression, so playing through the first time is great (and as a casual player there's no pressure to finish quick, since there's no subscription.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• spaniard81spaniard81 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by korent1991

Out of every mmorpg there is, GW2 requires the least grind to get gear. Since there's no "real" gear progression.

You can get gear just by doing dailies and monthlies. I still don't have ascended gear and I'm doing just fine in PVP or PVE.

I'm playing rarely now because I've got no time for it, but when I manage to log in I always have fun without feeling any disadvantage because I'm not ascended geared.

Absolutely!

Both my wife and I are incredibly busy (between work and kids) and hardly have enough time as we once did as hardcore gamers; I guess we now fall under the casual category. GW2 is perfect for us because we can get on whenever, have fun, and not feel like we're being left behind; and no monthly fee reduces our stress level, unlike with WOW back in the day.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Always a great game to go back to. I have left and came back about 3 or 4 times now. I still play it quite a bit here lately. It is just a great game. You can play this game for the next 10 years without having to waste your life away on it.

Awesome game. Lot of improvements in the past few months as well.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

The way dungeons are set up now, you actually make a lot more as a player who only has 2 or 3 hours to spare.

I would focus on purchasing gear with dungeon tokens. It takes about half an hour a day to get 120 tokens from Citadel of Flame, or 45 mins a day to get 120 tokens from Sorrow's Embrace. Either dungeon will give you access to some of the most popular armor/weapon sets in the game.

Also, you have the option of completing dailies for Ascended gear, which is pretty cool.

I play for about 2.5-4 hours a day (about 5 times a week) depending on my work schedule. An hour or 2 is plenty of time to get geared up.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• BezerkinBezerkin Member UncommonPosts: 5

I've also thought of coming back and I guess I left the game for a slightly different reason.  I thought although the gear grind was relatively low, the items (treasure) I was hunting for and working towards were mostly just skins with most of the same or closely similar properties.

I'm a strictly PvE and I know most people don't understand that but I was wondering how the RP and Lore side of the game was going because I kind of got bored with this game.  I know it sounds stupid and I know the game is wildly popular and I wanted to pour hours upon hours into it as I anticipated it's release but somehow it didn't hold on to my attention.

I do apologize to any forum police if this is put in the wrong section of the forum, but I read this thread and thought I would chime in.  Don't need any negative comments thrown back.  I was just hoping someone who recently returned could give me insight as to how they feel.  The SSD can only hold so many games ! lol

- Squishmitten -

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I mean you have the game, no reason NOT to. As for what you can do being casual, I'd say yes. The game has very little you really 'work for' or you 'need' and is more so there to 'enjoy what it has' and it seemed to add extra stuff to do for activities that might be entertaining. If you enjoyed it before I'd say jump in, why not, you bought the game get your money's worth out of it if you do have some fun playing it.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Catch up? Its impossible to fall behind. Its so easy to get exotic, which is 99% as good as ascended. Ascended can be a bit of a time sink, but that was the point. You wont notice the difference between ascended and exotic, so consider it an optional grind.

As for coming back? There's no reason not to log in and see for yourself since you own the game, the only thing you'll lose is a few MB of downloads.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

tryed game after 8 month break. mainly interest do WvWvW. now as new char (lvl 1) i dont get any skill and others players have all skills! (if over 30 lvl, if i remember right) wtf? 

then i need do some skill point challenges to buy skills, and thouse are mainly out side WvWvW in pve.

why the hell we dont get all skills when we join any level we want WvWvW?

bunishing  low levels in pvp is bullshit.

got zero interesting to pve side of game, i buyed game for pvp not pve.

Another proplem is that u STILL NOT see in WvWvW map where others players are ( i mean friendly players, not hostiles).

u just run around like a headless chicken in WvWvW map to find zerg team, but ofc u get ganged by rogues or others enemy players.

there is potential but no help for newbies. if u buy tis game now, u might as well shoot u self leg.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Before I answer, anything else you want me to decide for you? get it all out of the way at once.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Hi ,

As for whether or not it's worth it to come back, it really depends on why you left in the first place. They've added a lot of new stuff, but the core game is essentially the same. So if you enjoyed the game, but just needed a break or something, it's absolutely worth going back to. If all you enjoyed were dungeons, those are mostly still the same, but they've made a bunch of them harder, changed up some of the boss mechanics to make them less exploitable, and changed the rewards to encourage people to do more than just farm CoF p1 all day. If you enjoyed the mini-games there's a lot more of those, and some of them are pretty awesome (southsun survival, for one).

- DO NOT WORRY about catching up gearwise. This game is NOT a gear grind. Never has been. The gear you had when you left, is just as valid now as it was then. The only part of the game you may need to catch up on would be fractals, as people now have higher AR, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Furthermore, the only people really doing higher lvl fractals tend to be more dedicated groups, so you'd have to spend time finding a more serious group of players for those anyways.

The only think you've really missed out on is Living Story / events-based stuff. New rewards, limited available weapon & armor skins, etc. It's still possible to get a lot of that stuff, but it'll cost a good amount of gold to do so.

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

Hi ,

Depends on what you want to do. You obviously won't be able to do 20+ fractals without agony resistance, i.e. having run the lower ones sufficiently.

For anything else (e.g. Arah explorables), all exotic gear is more than sufficient and obtainable through the trading post.

As for WvW:

If that kind of PvP is your boat, then they really haven't done shit. It's still the mindless zergfest it was, albeit with a lot less participation due to burn out.

Roaming still feels unrewarding and the continued lack of any kind of character reward from winning makes it feel pointless (to me at least).

Since most people in WvW are rather unskilled, all exotic armor is usually more than sufficient, not to mention that ascended doesn't give that much of an advantage (although it does, no matter how much the fanboys will defend it).

As for SPvP: 

Same can of worms. Necros are FOTM due to conditions reigning supreme.

The bottom line is... there is really nothing to catch up to for anything. Exotics are sufficient and now much cheaper than they were near release due to insane increases in supply.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by korent1991

I agree with this. It really is up to you and your mindset about this game. So many people just get off on hating this game. I have a lvl 80 ranger with all exotic gear and could care less about the new gear because you really don't need it to play this game. Its just there because of players with the wow mindset about grinding for the newest thing. I don't do dungeons at all and find that there's still so much i haven't done in this game plus they add new stuff every month. Most of the complaints i see about this game is about not doing things the way wow does. If you can change you head about how most mmo's work, you could really have fun playing this game. Because it really is different.