Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sales so successful it had to shut down online sales, but will resume after upgrade 9/2-9/4

Comments

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    Oh I'll just happily wait a week.. NOT!

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Karteli

Sounds like they are upgrading the infrastructure to more powerful individual units, rather than throwing more servers at the problem.

Actually karteli they are doing both increasing capacity of all server AND adding more worlds, because the demand is through the roof right now on this game.

This is directly from their web site here: 

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/

Announcing Server Enhancements and the Temporary Suspension of Digital Download Sales (08/28/2013)

"To address this matter, we are currently working on introducing new Worlds and enhancing the performance of the login and match making processes on both the Japanese and North American & European data centers."

Want to know just how big it went?   The producer says how big it went in his letter to us yesterday.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/70037

he states:  "the game has evolved into something much bigger than we ever thought possible."

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Quazal.A
    Originally posted by fistorm

Curious

"the number of users logging in has been increasing at a rate that is much higher than what we had originally anticipated."

When a game is released, they do projected numbers of people that will play their game.  Each one of those people account for 1 log in.  Each account can be counted as a Log-in.  

When you set up your servers, you know how many people they will hold.   What they stated there, was the orginal anticipation of log-ins, which would be how many accounts are logging into the game, was much higher ( which means a lot more players/accounts/log-ins).  

Each account is a store bought game, and accounts for one Log-in each.   So when they anticipated game sales,  they knew what would be a successful amount of people.   If the log ins/accounts/game buyers were higher then they had originally anticipated, it means the sales of games which equals log-ins/players on each account was more then they had anticipated?  Then that means the sales were higher then they expected.

Which means Sales were so successful it had to stopt he number of sales to stop the amount of log ins.

I hope I covered everything,  but there it is for you in more simple terms so you can understand it better.

This is not said anywhere

let me explain this in laymens terms - 

Some guy expected say 10,000 sales, but the game sold 100,000 this doesn't mean the sales were succesfull all it means is the guy who did the forecasts ballsed up...

MY point is simple. SE ballsed up, and not once have they said anything about sales been good, just that they sales had exceeded their expectations...

If your still confused how about this one

I need to drive 300miles I dont buy fuel for 300miles i buy fuel for 500miles in case of extenuating circumstance such as re-routed traffic etc.

SE did not expect as many logons they should of been prepared, it wasn't volume of sales being super uber all time record blah blah, it was just higher than some guy thought it would be.

Um what are you talking about.  If your actual sales exceed your  projected sales you not only succeded...  someones getting a freaking bonus or maybe a promotion.

Thats how buisnesses work you dont just throw money on projects and hope for the best.

A guy in a suite says the project will cost this much money and this much time. There projected sales say they will sell this much so if everything  goes good we will make this much profit.....  

The guys with the money decide not only if the cost vs potential profit from sales is worth the time and money of said investment but also if there projected sales is some what accurate based on current consumer markets.   When deciding on the investment you dont assume the estimated (thats what projected sales is about) sales will be equal but be somewhere close to that number. If you meet the projected amount then not only were you lucky but  you made a very good investment.

Now why did they assume such low sales..... Well it would be kind of hard to convince the big guys in the suites who have a workforce analyzing consumer data and guessing on current trends that the game you released years earlier that bombed will be a huge success.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Wow those are some great hard numbers. With the way launch has gone so far. I would say that means they can't  add more players because the way it's going players will have then purchased a game they can't even play along with their friends..ohh wait in a month they can after they pay money for a server swap.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Curious

"the number of users logging in has been increasing at a rate that is much higher than what we had originally anticipated."

When a game is released, they do projected numbers of people that will play their game.  Each one of those people account for 1 log in.  Each account can be counted as a Log-in.  

When you set up your servers, you know how many people they will hold.   What they stated there, was the orginal anticipation of log-ins, which would be how many accounts are logging into the game, was much higher ( which means a lot more players/accounts/log-ins).  

Each account is a store bought game, and accounts for one Log-in each.   So when they anticipated game sales,  they knew what would be a successful amount of people.   If the log ins/accounts/game buyers were higher then they had originally anticipated, it means the sales of games which equals log-ins/players on each account was more then they had anticipated?  Then that means the sales were higher then they expected.

Which means Sales were so successful it had to stopt he number of sales to stop the amount of log ins.

I hope I covered everything,  but there it is for you in more simple terms so you can understand it better.

Some guy expected say 10,000 sales, but the game sold 100,000 this doesn't mean the sales were succesfull all it means is the guy who did the forecasts ballsed up...

MY point is simple. SE ballsed up, and not once have they said anything about sales been good, just that they sales had exceeded their expectations...

I need to drive 300miles I dont buy fuel for 300miles i buy fuel for 500miles in case of extenuating circumstance such as re-routed traffic etc.

SE did not expect as many logons they should of been prepared, it wasn't volume of sales being super uber all time record blah blah, it was just higher than some guy thought it would be.

Sounds like your disappointed because the game is successful, the analogy your using is a bit weird tbh, stretching credibility in an attempt to further your argument, but its clear, FF XIV:ARR was far more successful than was anticipated, but i can see how they might have gone wrong, projected sales for an earlier game, Tomb Raider, the new one that is, undersold projected figures, and it could be that this influenced them to be a bit more 'conservative' in their estimates for FF XIV:ARR, that their now having to massively increase capacity etc, clearly indicates that the game is selling well, and while i can imagine that they would love to sell more copies of the game, they have to be circumspect, as it can be very frustrating to be sat in log in queues, or worse. So putting a temporary stop on further sales until they can improve capacity is a sensible action. I would be very interested though to see what the actual sales figures were, i have a feeling that they exceeded 1 million by quite a bit.image

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

In the words of Illidan: "They were not prepared."

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    lol!yes someone took a gamble on ff14 v2!but let's be honest here,when was ff1 lunched,wasn't it on PlayStation?I mean final fantasy franchise is older then blizzard lol.so the ODs were. on s e favor .if they didn't UniSoft ff 14 security wise.the sale should cover v2 cost.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    lol!yes someone took a gamble on ff14 v2!but let's be honest here,when was ff1 lunched,wasn't it on PlayStation?I mean final fantasy franchise is older then blizzard lol.so the ODs were. on s e favor .if they didn't UniSoft ff 14 security wise.the sale should cover v2 cost.

The first final fantasy was for the NES.  And, actually I doubt it would cover the v2 costs especially since they were in the hole after the v1 failure(like really in the hole and CEO had to step down).

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    S-e is not lucky!closing sale this long is never a good idea(ask gw2)

It's a week and I don't think they wanted to do this but I would say they aren't unlucky if they have to either.

• MagKilnMagKiln Member Posts: 46

Curious

Where in any of that corporate crap do they say sales so succesfull

In fact when i read it what i read was

"we ballsed up the possible volumes of sales" 

the direct quote is

Now tell me where it says about sales figures or expected volumes, all it says is they misjudged the volume sold, which is as likely a ***k up on their part as it sales volumes.... 

please please please like the game but dont make up crap to make it sound like SE doing well coz hell no they doing bad mmmkay

Kudos, I was wondering the same thing. 

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Little early to be calling their sales a success story, this is a sub based MMO, the numbers in 6 months are all that's important.

That same statement applies to B2P and F2P as well...

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    nm
  • WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

FFXIV was so successful that Yoshida had to apologized, then cried like a little girl because of such a grand and "successful" launch.

<talk about spin>

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Shutting down sales must be the latest PR gimmick when launching a game nowadays.

Next drift on these forums will be "game XY sucks! they haven't even sold enough units that they had to shut down sales..." and "if three days after launch you can still buy it, better don't buy it"

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

From those in game:

How many people are AFK? I've been reading the official forums and it appears that a LOT of people are afk so that they don't have to deal with the 1017 error. I hope that these afkers are not a major segment of the total amount of people in game as there are others that would like to play.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Karteli

I applaud them for that.  At one point WoW cut sales (2004-2005), making the game really hard to find even months after launch.  SWTOR was supposed to do that, but instead went the route of accepting as much money as possible, as quickly as possible, then opening up more servers, which later had to be shut down, with forced transfers to servers not of the players choice.

GW2 had the overflow servers, which was really good.

Limiting sales accomplishes 2 major happenings:  It lets people who already have the game enjoy it, and it increases demand for the next wave.

I'm glad SE is taking their relaunch seriously.

Even with the overflow servers GW2 stopped sales for a couple of days also.

I played all day and I see about 50-100 people around npc's.  Out of all of them I think maybe 10 or so are afk or watching cutscenes.   its pretty amazing.   Everywhere you go, theres people doing quests. lol
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I played all day and I see about 50-100 people around npc's.  Out of all of them I think maybe 10 or so are afk or watching cutscenes.   its pretty amazing.   Everywhere you go, theres people doing quests. lol

First MMO launch? O,0

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Curious

Um what are you talking about.  If your actual sales exceed your  projected sales you not only succeded...  someones getting a freaking bonus or maybe a promotion.

Thats how buisnesses work you dont just throw money on projects and hope for the best.

A guy in a suite says the project will cost this much money and this much time. There projected sales say they will sell this much so if everything  goes good we will make this much profit.....  

The guys with the money decide not only if the cost vs potential profit from sales is worth the time and money of said investment but also if there projected sales is some what accurate based on current consumer markets.   When deciding on the investment you dont assume the estimated (thats what projected sales is about) sales will be equal but be somewhere close to that number. If you meet the projected amount then not only were you lucky but  you made a very good investment.

Now why did they assume such low sales..... Well it would be kind of hard to convince the big guys in the suites who have a workforce analyzing consumer data and guessing on current trends that the game you released years earlier that bombed will be a huge success.

Firstly im not bashing the game although its VERY unlikely i will play it, dont like the style graphically and fighting feels very bland to me.

But back to my original point

Why do you guys try and defend what has been an almighty f**k up on someone behalf,  I have not said the volumes have not been considered a non success im saying the release has been a non success and merely pointing out in my original post someone elses mistake of adding "sales so sucessfull" when no-one (not even SE ) know sales figures.

We do not know what they thought they might sell no more than we know what they have sold, So without knowing them figures NO ONE  can suggest it was a success until the numbers come out, however, what we can see is someone f**ked up the release by not thinking the game will sell what it has.

Had the guessed even close to what the game was going to sell then they wouldn't have had anything like the server problems they are having 

Regardless of success or not people are paid to forecast how many items of ANY PRODUCT will sell usually in 3 stages

stage 1  - Release will be the main volume of sales

Stage 2 - Whole life sales

Stage 3 - Sales at 'sale' price end of life sales

The simple fact is by alienating so many customers by not allowing them to play they have lost money on the total whole life sales so no i wouldn't consider the release a success, now given the missing volume of server space they are going to hit original targets quite easily but bigwigs dont care about hitting targets they care about profit.

And when you have (random numbers) 5mill profit but oculd of had 8mill profit you cannot consider 5mill profit a good release <<< This is what it comes down too, yes they MAY have done well on sales, but they could of done far better, just looking around net i would summise between 10-20% more volumes them are some big numbers when you consider whole life profit.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315

Any reputable company would have had a whole server cluster ready to go so that new servers could be brought online in short order.Instead they block paying customers,blank out websites and all sorts of other goodies. Sadly porting a game made for the east to those of us in the west  has always failed. NCSoft did it with Aion and FF:ARR is doing it...for the second time with the same game!  Just to name 2 prolific examples.

Shutting down access to people wanting to buy the game doesn't bode well at all in anything but the very short term. It shows they as a company cannot or will not adapt to the everchanging MMO landscape and the needs/wants of it's playerbase,which sadly, is evident by the fact that  this is a remake of a failed game and not a new IP.

Maybe it can be boiled down to a different set of gaming ideologies between the East and the West. What may work for one may not work for the other so to speak.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

it's a good fame (finally!!) in a style of game that more people like (personally not my preferred style of game but i still like it enough to play) and it's final fantasy.

in other words it's a money printing press for SqE.

good for them, they are being rewarded with, literally, more players than they know what to do with.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Wow.. The creativity and length they go thru to Not allow players to play amazes me. First you can't log into servers with friends. Now up can't buy the game even if you want to? How is this considered good? I imagine there are alot of  pissed off individuals that were expecting to be able to purchase and now can't.

To sit here and say that SE didn't expect a large turnout of people is just ludicrous. As the saying  goes a sucker is born every second.  This entire launch has went really poorly.

It was a relaunch man! After all the crap and bad press Version 1.0 of this game received the past years, they didn´t believe there would such a huge interest in Version 2.0 of this game!

And honestly, I didn´t expect it either! I am really suprised to see how many People bought the game (again).

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113
    dude, that's not "sales so succesful", its moreoften "operations so broken that we cannot cope with what we had planned for and our systems are running unstable and we do not have sufficient QA personell to follow up petititions and heeeelp!!" than over-sales. May be I am wrong, but I doubt it.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Mouth
    dude, that's not "sales so succesful", its moreoften "operations so broken that we cannot cope with what we had planned for and our systems are running unstable and we do not have sufficient QA personell to follow up petititions and heeeelp!!" than over-sales. May be I am wrong, but I doubt it.

World of Warcraft didn´t suffer from it. In fact, they only sold more after they re-opened sales.