Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best mmo to be released in 2006 ?

Does anyone else think that this game has the potential to be the best mmo to be released in 2006? Personaly I think it looks amazing from what ive read and seen on here and on the official web site for the game it looks fantastic.image

Great pvp, character build progresion and nice solo player to multi player transition.

Anyone else feel the same???image

Comments

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

i think it could be, it will for sure be one of the best imo. but there are so many good ones that are supposed to come out it is really hard to say.

it also depends on your play style, i am really looking forward to vanguard but it is a completely different game. but i think AOC's true contender for fan base would be dark fall (if it gets released in '06) and ofcource don't forget about DnL....

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772
    i'd like to hope so. we won't really now until we actually get to play it. but if all of funcom's promises come true, its gonna be awesome.
  • DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

The coming year is going to bring alot of very fun new MMOs, if not the best I think AoC will be up there, simply because the "grind" is going to play like a single player game(as we all know single player provides much more freedom to the devs and is generally a hell of alot more fun) and the endgame will include castle warfare and all that great stuff. So AoC will have the best of both worlds.

Edit: and twitch combat ftw ::::28::.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

• drycatdrycat Member Posts: 119

Frankly, I think AoC Will be a good contender, but will not be the best of the year. Like everyone is saying, there are a variety of great looking MMOs coming out. I think some top contenders with AoC will be Fallen Earth, maybe Tabula Rasa(if PlayNC has their act together) and Vanguard, to name a few. I don't think Dark & Light will come close since it is not presenting itself well graphically(it looks like AO. Which is bad ;p). Though not in the same fantasy genre, Pirates of the Burning Sea looks and sounds like it could make a good showing.

I am definitely anxious to see how well AoC turns out, since Funcom had some great concepts in AO, just horrid marketing and graphical presentation(or lack of any kind of update to their graphics. Which could mean some kind of lack of foresight in planning). Graphics are certainly part of any total package now, as most players can support the higher quality graphics that MMOs can push now, and expect a graphically pleasing experience in addition to gameplay.

Though, I must make a comment about EQ2 whenever I speak on graphically pleasing content. While EQ2 was graphically pleasing, it lacked the gameplay to back it up. Kind of like the quip that the newspapers like to aim at President Bush,"You can dress him up, but you apparently can't take him anywhere..". The same thing holds true for EQ2,"You can dress it up, but you obviously can't go anywhere with it..".

That is unless you enjoy going to the same dungeon or pasture everyday, killing spiders, fish, ducks, cows, geese, jellyfish, frogs, tadpoles, crabs, sea anemone, squids, stingrays, sharks, whales, octupus, alligators, crocodiles, monkies, lynxes, wolves, dogs, cats, plants, trees, vines, beavers, muskrats, chipmonks, deer, stags, lions, tigers and bears. ..Oh my. Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Not to mention some terrible customer service, that will always make things unpleasant. image

This is the kind of content I don't want to see more of.. So, here is to AoC, and the hope it doesn't feature any completely monotonous and mundane content like this. Considering the World it is set in, I think it should be refreshing at least. With no wild rats, geese, ardvarks, moles, muskrats, beavers.. etc. Unless they are demonic hehe

And then, that would be just plain silly..

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451

Originally posted by dominit
    Does anyone else think that this game has the potential to be the best mmo to be released in 2006?

Yes, but SWG had the potential to be the best MMO when it was released, and we've all seen what happened there...

-W.

Originally posted by GrimSkunk2

Does anyone else think that this game has the potential to be the best mmo to be released in 2006?

Yes, but SWG had the potential to be the best MMO when it was released, and we've all seen what happened there...

That is a good point. There was a lot of potential in SWG, that was overlooked, or any that it had going for it was hacked off in the months/years following its release.
  • DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by GrimSkunk2

Lucky for AoC that SOE isn't going to be running it though ::::20::.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

Originally posted by Dinion

A finer point could not have been made..image 

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451

Originally posted by drycat
    Originally posted by Dinion Lucky for AoC that SOE isn't going to be running it though .A finer point could not have been made..image

::::01::

-W.

• indiindi Member UncommonPosts: 149

My impression of AOC is very positive. I really like the ideas, concepts and graphic, also the gameplay seems to be smooth (it SEEMS to be that way, sure there is no objective point of view since you can't play it yet. It's my personal impression of the movies, dev announcements and forum threads). Also appreciate the fact that it's Funcom who develops the game, since Anarchy Online has been my favorite MMORPG so far, played it from US beta till AI expansion, even up to 90h a week during holidays :)

I also never met such a mature community in any other MMORPG so far (just check their forum, no flame wars, even the most stupid request or question is being discussed in a constructive way).

Age of Conan and Vanguard SoH are my personal favorites :)

• CaniguaCanigua Member Posts: 233
    Real time combat!!Nuff saidimageimage
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by iNDi

Also appreciate the fact that it's Funcom who develops the game

Cant say enough about this statement right here.. While WOW took AO's spot in my hart as the most fun and complete MMORPG that I have ever played.. WOW doesnt hold a candle to the complexity that AO offered with all the shops and the implant system and even PVP that had a purpose behind it. Shadowlands really ruined AO for me and alot of others so if they can just stay away from making extreme gameplay changes in AOC like they did in AO I will be around for a very long time.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• cdeepalcdeepal Member UncommonPosts: 148

Graphics looks awesome definitely. But, that doesn't mean anything to me when I want to chose a game to play. I bought EQ2 and WoW, both of which have superb graphics, cool user interface and smooth gameplay, but none of them could keep my interest. Both of them have no adventure feeling, no excitement, no challenge and extremely low role playing community.

Therefore, I went back to the game I was playing earlier which is called Tibia, a 2D game, which is of course an outdated game considering graphics and sound. But it has a great community aspect, very exciting and challenging game play.

I want that challenge and excitement with nice graphics. I hope I can find it in this game. But, time will tell.

• Fangs78Fangs78 Member Posts: 3

AoC promises to deliver an "adult" experience, which I find incredibly bold. They're aiming their game at 20+ age group (which do play alot of games) and having content rather than just eye-candy. THIS is ALOT harder to do than to create a EQ clone, and slam some new graphics onto it (WoW, LOTRO etcetc) ... I personally hope that they emphasize freedom to act (in which ever way you want) instead of the tried-tested-and-found-crap quest-levelling-ladder systems.

I hope DnL's content will be copied by many that have bigger budgets in the years to come, because frankly I don't think they can pull it off now. I hope they do, but don't think they will. Too bad.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I predict next year to be very demanding on my wallet.

Im mainly looking foward to Age of Conan, but im also following Vanguard

Personally I think Vanguard will end up raking in an assload of subscriptions.  It seems to cater to a broader range of folks than Age of Conan

the only thing that bums me out about age of conan is its level based as opposed to Vanguard which is more skill based.  Mature content could over throw that though as well as age of conans projected PvP model.  Its looking like PvP in vanguard is going to be more of an after thought

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • SiftSift Member Posts: 258

I personaly Think Star Wars was worse off when it was being run by the original company and the only reason it has lasted as long as it has is because of SOE and yes I have played it for a long time. Ya they messed up on the lattest expansion but they had to do somthing the game was going nowhere and could not survive off its fanbase but anyways back to Aoc.

I wasnt sure when they said the first 20 levels were going to be played single player but when I thought about it afterwards I think its an awsome move. That way the game HAS to be fun enough and deep enough to be fun to play single player. Im getting bored with online games that develope the whole game around have undeveloped unrounded characters.

and to be honest what really gets my blood pumping is the way they have described the combat system it makes me want to drool

Derect from their webpage
    "“Real Combat” engine. A new multi-point melee system allows the players to swing their weapons where they direct it, in real-time, going head-on against the formulaic nature of online RPG combat"

Ahhhhhh Man you mean I get to swing my weapon and actually try to hit him in the head because its not gunna hurt him as much if I hit him in the leg. No more point click (auto attack) next enemy. I want to try this game so bad its hard to wait and its gunna be a loooooong wait.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I am beginning to believe that AoC will be the most revolutionary MMORPG to date with its RealCombat(tm) system.

I remember the early days of Anarchy Online (although unstable and buggy in the beginning), when Funcom really broke the mold of online games by producing a complex yet fun scifi adventure game.  I mean, Omni Corp, the Clans, the Neutrals on a hostile alien planet, plus your own personal flying car (Yalmahas); it had a lot of innovative ideas.

And it looks like they will break the mold again (although, I think with their game development experience, we can expect a "smoother" release) with the brutal, barbaric, violent and gory world of Conan.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• 1madmark11madmark1 Member Posts: 2

The combat and theme are what hooked me. Will deffinately be one of the top 3 mmo's of 2006.

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

This game has mammoth potential.  The intellectual property in and of itself is huge.  The concepts being discussed by the dev team are pretty awesome, especially things like "drunken brawling", which I feel will really set this game apart from the "same old boring game" syndrome I've been seeing on the market recently.

But potential isn't enough anymore.  There have been too many games that had frightening amounts of potential that just didn't come close to living up to it.  Let's hope that AoC does more than just promise huge things.  I sure am.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Until we get the opportunity to get a hands on with any of the upcoming titles, the only way we can really judge them at all is based on potential. I don't see anything wrong with this kind of speculation at all, as long as people remember that our opinions are based on what limited information is available. :)

One of the first things we can judge a game on is looks. Yes, a really great game may not have the best graphics and vice versa, but people are expecting the next generation of games to bring us closer to the ideal goal of detailed, beautiful and fully immersive graphics. I was going to say photorealistic graphics, but I think the MMORPG market is one that is willing to sometimes accept artistically beautiful/ overworldly vs. realistic. In any event, we all are going to expect superb graphics from any MMO competing to be the "next best thing" or even "the mmorpg we have all been waiting for".

After looks, we can look at the design goals and any innovative game play and features that have been disclosed, as well as other hints at the quality of story and world design. Of course, this is where reality can quickly seperate itself from intent. There have been a couple games the past year or so that have looked incredible on paper, but launched as games no where close to their hype and potential.

I think community outreach and responsiveness to the fan base should also be a consideration when looking at a game's potential. The quality of consumer outreach before launch isn't always indicitive of what customer service will be after launch, but I think most of us a very weary of companies that share very little information and don't establish good connections to the community during the development process.

I think there are a few games that pique my interest and seem to have a lot of potential. Age of Conan is one of them. I think the title and source material will appeal to a segment of the market, but also have some negative conotations for many others. The game will need to overcome this to set the stage for success.

Hero's Journey flew beneath my radar for a while, but also looks very promising. The community outreach has been superb, with a couple of the devs actually participating in the game's forum on this site.

The Chronicles of Spellborn has yielded some very nice screenshots and the official web sites are trying to draw people in now with simple online narrative "adventures" that impart some of the feel for the game world. The game design seems to be pretty interesting. I'm not quite sure how the anorexic look of the characters will fly with most people, but it still looks very good.

There are some other interesting titles as well, but these are the three that have really popped out for me so far.

One thing I'm a little cautious about though, for AoC and other titles touting a similar mechanic, is the "twitch based" combat. Although it seems a cool concept at first glance, it has to be done extremely well and supported by excellent NPC AI, otherwise we will find a combat experience that is actually much worse than the most refined examples of stat and roll based combat we find today. DDO is a good example of how this kind of combat can go very wrong. Anyone who has participated in the stress tests probably knows what I mean.

I'm at least happy that there seem to be some real contenders in development with the potential to be the next big thing.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Leonard_SixLeonard_Six Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Dinion

Heheh Lucky for us all!
  • Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292

First, I'd like to say: Released in 2006? Come on, you all should know better then that.image

I am really looking forward to this game though. Although I just don't know if the developers can handle creating a world spawned from the mind of Robert E. Howard. I've been reading his work and I'm worried that the developers might "pull too many punches" when creating the content and that putting it in game form might cheapen it. I really hope they work hard on giving the world the ability to maintain a strong "suspension of disbelief" feel for it players.

I'm sure it will turn out to be a great game though. From what I get from the devs on the official forums, they are gonna give it one hell of a try.

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    I have a feeling this game could be sleeper of the year.  Everyone is talking about DND and LOTR. But this game might top them both.  I'm looking forward to this game and Vanguard.  Guess we'll have to wait and see a Beta first.
  • icecrossicecross Member Posts: 78

Hero's Journey. Period. :)

• JennyfyrJennyfyr Member Posts: 62
    I thought Vanguard would be the one as well. But after seeing this, I see why it was MMORPG.com's choice for this award. Far more "Next Gen" than Vanguard, and certainly much more appealing in the combat department.image