Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking a failed launch to new levels

Comments

• eowdaoceowdaoc Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Alamareth

There is a queue.  It is filled, thus the error.

The queue doesn't seem NEARLY big enough though.

From what I have read the que is 500.  This raises a question that I do not know the answer to because I honestly know nothing of servers or any of the code needed to run an mmo.  Why would you limit the que?  How much in the way of resources does a que take?  There must be a reason why they would set the que so low, but I can't imagine that a que would take up enough server resources to need it to be so low, but then again, like I said, I don't know anything about server capacities.

A queue is a simple data structure in comp science. The first person who enters the queue is the first to leave, opposite of what a stack is.

Anyways, it seems they are using a static array of size 500, as opposed to using a linked list (or another dynamic structure), which dynamically increases in size to accommodate more items.

Each item in the queue is probably just an integer representing an account ID, so I for one have no clue why they would not just use a linked list for it. You aren't going to bring down an entire server with a linked list of integers (unless we're talking in the billions).

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Mannish
    If the problems still exist today then its just total fail on Square. I had no problem with the downtimes over the weekend but they have had 3 days to get this fixed for the official launch day. 

Well, I consider the game launched at the point of EA.  EA wasn't a beta, it's not a testing and tuning period - it's supposed to be early ACCESS, not denied access or broken game the majority of the time if you got in.

I as actually able to login on my first attempt after work last night and did two instances.  Being in duty finder for 5+ minutes as a tank seems a bit odd so I don't think they have all duty finder issues sorted out.

If people can't even log in again...sigh.

I do agree that it's unreasonable to expect them to go over the top with hardware for what will be a brief period of getting this slammed, but, you still need to be able to reasonably facilitate your players.

I also get tired of hear "x mmorpg was so much worse."  There have been some overall bad releases, for sure, but if you say "I had queues in SWTOR, it was a horrible release" yet I never had a queue for SWTOR ever...was it really a bad overall release?  Same for WoW, people regularly say it was a horrible release.  I never had a queue in 6.5 years from the day of release onwards.  Ever.  Granted, I played a pop RP server that was at the bottom of the list for raid progress - but no queues!

For FFXIV it's not like it's a server specific issue.  It's more like luck.  They are intentionally not letting people play and if you get on, it's luck.

The fact that not only can they not meet demand but the are intentionally throttling logins to try to give performance to the few that get on is just shows how rough this launch has been.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    You imagine buying the game retail today and your all excited and go to find out you can't even make a character on any server. :P

When a big new store has a grand opening in a big city people don't just assume they will be able to go at opening, get a close parking spot, walk in and find everything they want, and then check out without having to wait in a line.

They know they have a choice of either dealing with waiting for parking, stuff not being in stock that they want, waiting in a huge line, being cramped by other people.  They make the choice of either dealing with it or waiting till the grand opening weekend is over and everything is calm and normal.

That is the exact same choice that you have with a major MMO release.  Either deal with the lines and not getting everything you want the way you want it.  Or sit back and chill knowing that in a few days all the craziness will be over.

Not really the same thing at all.  For one, you don't pay an entrance fee for a store.  In this case, we already paid for these days (now lost) with the initial purchase.

This would be more on par with buying tickets to an amusement park for a certain date and then being told the park is full and come back later in the day.

Which does in fact happen.  You can buy a ticket to Disney World in advance, but if you show up at the wrong date at the wrong time, they will tell you the park is too full.

But a better analogy might be you buy your ticket, go in the park and an unexpected thunderstorm rolls through and they close down all the rides.  Doesn't matter if that storm lasts 4 hours, you don't get a refund, you just live with it.

Yes in that case it would be dismal.

But this is not caused by some act of nature outside of the company's control.  This is like that same trip but finding out you can't enter because the amusement park has an outstanding electricity bill.  And no refund either.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    You imagine buying the game retail today and your all excited and go to find out you can't even make a character on any server. :P

When a big new store has a grand opening in a big city people don't just assume they will be able to go at opening, get a close parking spot, walk in and find everything they want, and then check out without having to wait in a line.

They know they have a choice of either dealing with waiting for parking, stuff not being in stock that they want, waiting in a huge line, being cramped by other people.  They make the choice of either dealing with it or waiting till the grand opening weekend is over and everything is calm and normal.

That is the exact same choice that you have with a major MMO release.  Either deal with the lines and not getting everything you want the way you want it.  Or sit back and chill knowing that in a few days all the craziness will be over.

Not really the same thing at all.  For one, you don't pay an entrance fee for a store.  In this case, we already paid for these days (now lost) with the initial purchase.

This would be more on par with buying tickets to an amusement park for a certain date and then being told the park is full and come back later in the day.

Which does in fact happen.  You can buy a ticket to Disney World in advance, but if you show up at the wrong date at the wrong time, they will tell you the park is too full.

But a better analogy might be you buy your ticket, go in the park and an unexpected thunderstorm rolls through and they close down all the rides.  Doesn't matter if that storm lasts 4 hours, you don't get a refund, you just live with it.

Yes in that case it would be dismal.

But this is not caused by some act of nature outside of the company's control.  This is like that same trip but finding out you can't enter because the amusement park has an outstanding electricity bill.  And no refund either.

You know the amusement part analogy is a good one, you buy your ticket in advance and you can enter the part, there are just endless hours of queues for every ride, Ive seen queues for amusement park rides vary betwine 2-8 hours.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Lexin

Servers are full how is that a failed launch? When you can get on there are no problems so again how is it a failed launch?

Don't get me wrong I'm pretty pissed I can't get on to play but can't really call this a failed launch.

People can't PLAY a VIDEO GAME.  And to add to that, one that is eating up their "free" month of a subscription.  That's a problem. 

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290

I don't think may of the crybabies have any history of launches. The world favorite was almost the worst in the history of MMOs. And I aint talkin AO.

Get used to it.

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST

I don't think may of the crybabies have any history of launches. The world favorite was almost the worst in the history of MMOs. And I aint talkin AO.

Get used to it.

...fanboi

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Worst MMO launch would have to be Anarchy Online..... omg this is nothing compared to that.

I still have AO launch nightmares.. *shudder*

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• NafunieruNafunieru Member UncommonPosts: 152

Get used to it.

You are a sorry excuse of a person if that's your mentality. You know what, I have long list of mmos I've played (most of them right when they launched) and this is still unacceptable.
    How are you going to have the mentality of "It's launch, just deal with it." "It's a new game."

Some people have full-time jobs, families, real-world responsibilities. If you feel like playing a game to unwind during your off time, a game that you paid money for and will pay a subscription fee for, it is unacceptable to be locked out of playing that game because of a poorly implemented system in the game.

Yeah, let's not implement an auto-kick feature for AFKers in the game cause that's a brilliant idea. That won't get abused at all.  I'd deal with it if this was a fully f2p game, but it is not. People made money for this game, and the fact that many people can't even log into the game is ridiculous.

Originally posted by WhiteCross

Get used to it.

...fanboi

I dont play the game...and never will.

troll

• Zohdi118Zohdi118 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Forgot to add quoted post.....deleted.
  • Zohdi118Zohdi118 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Bad analogy.  You don't pay the store just to attend their grand opening and deal with all of the BS involved with said grand opening.

Folks are paying for the game to be available and playable on launch day...finished....the end.  

Originally posted by Nafunieru

Get used to it.

You are a sorry excuse of a person if that's your mentality. You know what, I have long list of mmos I've played (most of them right when they launched) and this is still unacceptable.
    How are you going to have the mentality of "It's launch, just deal with it." "It's a new game."

Some people have full-time jobs, families, real-world responsibilities. If you feel like playing a game to unwind during your off time, a game that you paid money for and will pay a subscription fee for, it is unacceptable to be locked out of playing that game because of a poorly implemented system in the game.

Yeah, let's not implement an auto-kick feature for AFKers in the game cause that's a brilliant idea. That won't get abused at all.  I'd deal with it if this was a fully f2p game, but it is not. People made money for this game, and the fact that many people can't even log into the game is ridiculous.

Wow...and I'm the sorry excuse....IT'S A GAME!!!

Telling you the history does not make me a bad guy. Telling you what you are new to doesn't either. You can get all upset about something that's supposed to be a luxury is up to you.

I know the history of releases and do get upset a bit. But I don't take to the internet site that has NOTHING to do with game to say so.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

I think people some times do not realize what they asking for.  No matter how good an MMO is there is still going to be a huge spike in the first 10 days or so...at least for major releases.  They are never going to see this many people online at once again or not for a very long time.  So what you are asking them to do is spend money(probably lots of money) on servers to support something for only a few days.  Really where is that money going to come from?  Design budget?  increased price?

Come on it is not realistic to expect them to waste money to support a spike that will only last a few days.  It is realistic to expect them to be able to keep the game up during launch and to have servers capable of supporting the game easily without problems once the login traffic is stable.  But expecting them to spend tons of money so you don't have to sit at a login screen for a few days seems like wasted money to me, I would rather see that money go into more game content or hell a bigger customer support team or whatever.

However the fact that people are not auto-logged for inactivity(afk) is not acceptable.

they only need a couple more servers

• NafunieruNafunieru Member UncommonPosts: 152

Telling you the history does not make me a bad guy. Telling you what you are new to doesn't either. You can get all upset about something that's supposed to be a luxury is up to you.

I know the history of releases and do get upset a bit. But I don't take to the internet site that has NOTHING to do with game to say so.

I'm not as upset about it because I actually enjoy the game quite a bit and I like the FF universe. However, put yourself in the shoes of someone that gets home from work at let's say 5PM. They cook their food, shower, etc, go to log on to the game to unwind for a bit and continuously get "The world is currently full," would you not be somewhat upset at this? Especially since you paid money for this? 

• Soulsaint1215Soulsaint1215 Member Posts: 16
    Sadly most of the people staying online endlessly are not actually players enjoying the game.  I am seeing lots of  "gold" gil farmers building up items and such for selling to the lazy instant gratification players.  I would even like to guess that 20% of the people staying online 24/7 are gold farmers taking away a spot from one of us real players.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Soulsaint1215
    Sadly most of the people staying online endlessly are not actually players enjoying the game.  I am seeing lots of  "gold" gil farmers building up items and such for selling to the lazy instant gratification players.  I would even like to guess that 20% of the people staying online 24/7 are gold farmers taking away a spot from one of us real players.

Then the question becomes.  Have you notified the GMs?

• Soulsaint1215Soulsaint1215 Member Posts: 16
    No.  I sent a letter to the company hoping to get a quicker response because in-game is just not working.  Can't even log into the game 80% of the time so I think that would be a waste of time.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Mako482
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Worst MMO launch would have to be Anarchy Online..... omg this is nothing compared to that.

Most recent terrible MMO launch would be SWTOR, I was in que for 2 to 3 hours during that early start. Which the Time I was able to get in was about the same time im able to log into FF.

I sincerely don't care, I paid $50 to play THIS game and I don't appreciate paying money for something and having it be a one sided transaction. At least let me create my toon and get in a queue. 

Then we sincerely don't care about your plight.

His point is that this is a recurring, common theme with MMO launches and any individual that cares so strongly should protect their own interests.  Instead, people throw their money on the table, no questions asked, then flip off the deep end when the dealer has to shuffle the deck.

Does it suck? Sure.  Could you have prevented it? Yup. 

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

A rough launch indeed.  They need to do something.....  Or not so people can leave and I can play!!!  image

Joking.  But wow, like I have said before.  Really fun game but the connectivity issues are just rough....

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    WHY  dont they just do what gw2 did with the overflow servers...at least u could play the damn game!
  • MetzaMetza Member Posts: 160

I get what you are saying, but first off you do not pay money to enter said store and then are not let in when you show up. We have not even been given A "line" or a "far away parking spot" (a queue). This is much more like a grand opening of said store that says "HAY U GUIS BUY DIS IN ADVANCE AND COME PICK IT UP KAY?" so you do and then when you get there you have all those problems you mentioned then they do not have available what you paid for. That is a lot closer to what is actually happening right now imo.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    op!put your self in s-e shoes!this title as been buy to play almost right after v1 was lunched!someone inside she stable decided v2would work!even tho v1server were buy to play they still werent populated!so s-e expected say 3 time v1 player .they received about 300% more then they expected .s-e didnt have the amount of server required at v1lunch (witch sold well)so it will take about 2 to 4 week to have everything needed rolling .it isn't just server.the bandwith s-e for saw won't be near enough .so let's say they expected 1 terabyte an hour .they need about 1 terabyte a minute . all these things take time to fix if unforeseen.I bet a lit of phone call are being made everywhere the game is big.remember also this is a global server game.in the sub genre you almost never meet these.this means player from everywhere on the planet can play same server as towellie.
    Originally posted by Nafunieru

I'm not as upset about it because I actually enjoy the game quite a bit and I like the FF universe. However, put yourself in the shoes of someone that gets home from work at let's say 5PM. They cook their food, shower, etc, go to log on to the game to unwind for a bit and continuously get "The world is currently full," would you not be somewhat upset at this? Especially since you paid money for this? 

See...I getcha. Cause I have been there MANY times. The whole point is this is nothing new. Not by a long shot. Yet so many think it is. So many cry babies about this launch.

I don't like this game....never will, never have. But I will defend the launch to all the cry baby ppl that have never been through a bad launch. At least 80% have been bad since AO (that I can remember). And AO was the worst I can remember...it's still kicking yer arse today.

• pingworriorpingworrior Member Posts: 12
    I strongly feel this topic has been covered sufficiently