Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

16 Million Reached and my (not so) bold prediction...

MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Congrats to Cloud Imperium for reaching another million in crowdfunding!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

I predict that when the hanger module drops on Thursday, that sales are going to shoot through the roof again.  The first thing I thought when I saw the hanger videos from Gamescon was that I need more ships in my hanger.  I think people who only have one ship are going to want to start buying more, and it wouldn't shock me if these guys are seeing $20-22 Million by the end of the year. 

As RIDICULOUS as it is, I've already purchased the Digital Colonel package for $125, and I'm planning to get at least two more ships before launch, maybe three, inlcluding the $110 MISC Freelancer LTI.

To be clear, I am well aware that I am also crowdfunding a project that has an uncertain future, but if things play out as planned, this could be the game I personally always wished EVE was, and more.  EVE is its own game, but Star Citizen is the game that I've always wanted in space.  

The communication of the dev team is second to NO ONE in this industry.  I can't wait to get in my hanger on Thurs.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Unlocks:

Greetings Citizens,

We have just hit $16 million in pledges for Star Citizen! The entire Cloud Imperium team is humbled at your dedication to our game, space sims and the PC. With the imminent release of the first Hangar Module we are going to show our dedication to sharing game development with our fans by giving them the earliest ever look at a AAA game… and with this new funding achievement you have shown your dedication to this project once again!

With this milestone you have unlocked the following stretch goals. You will learn more about each in a more detailed post later in the week!

• Arena mode: The next generation of Wing Commander’s TrainSim allows pilots to test out their combat skills against friends or strangers in a simulation. Gain valuable combat experience without the downside of losing your ship in the game universe! Place bets on competitions across the galaxy.
    • Every pledger who backs before $16 million will receive a laser pistol. Keep your ship safe from boarders with a pistol by your side.

We are also now pleased to reveal the $18 million goals:

• Exclusive star system for pre-launch backers. Only players who support the game before its
      launch will receive the computer coordinates needed to allow their jump drives to access this system.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Nice that you put it here i will edit mine

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I have high hopes for this game. Could be the space sim we all have been waiting for for years. I have my fingers crossed.

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

While this is a very impressive feat in it´s own right (and most likley one of these things that change the industry)

My prediction is that there will be a metric s-ton of people pissed off once release roll around, because there is no way in h.e.dubble hockeysticks that it will live up to the game people are building in their mind

Still it is a very impressive number none the less and i am really curious of how this will go from a academic point of view.

This have been a good conversation

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by tawess

While this is a very impressive feat in it´s own right (and most likley one of these things that change the industry)

My prediction is that there will be a metric s-ton of people pissed off once release roll around, because there is no way in h.e.dubble hockeysticks that it will live up to the game people are building in their mind

Still it is a very impressive number none the less and i am really curious of how this will go from a academic point of view.

Well, the game I've dreamed of playing since Freelancer is amazing... but it pales in comparison to the game Chris Roberts has been dreaming up in his mind. While I think there are some that may be dreaming a little big most have been totally blown away by what the team at CIG have planned for us. Will it please every single backer? Of course not as that would just be totally unrealistic but I don't think the fallout ( if any ) is going to be anything like what you describe. I think those disappointed by their own hype level will be drowned out by the S-Ton of people that will be applauding CIG for a job well done.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by tawess

Well, the game I've dreamed of playing since Freelancer is amazing... but it pales in comparison to the game Chris Roberts has been dreaming up in his mind. While I think there are some that may be dreaming a little big most have been totally blown away by what the team at CIG have planned for us. Will it please every single backer? Of course not as that would just be totally unrealistic but I don't think the fallout ( if any ) is going to be anything like what you describe. I think those disappointed by their own hype level will be drowned out by the S-Ton of people that will be applauding CIG for a job well done.

Bren

I am a backer, too. And truth is, if it is just like Wing Commander/Freelancer + Privateer with some multiplayer i will be already happy, and i think my money is invested well. But it seems to be even more than that. Can't wait.

Hell.. even if it would be just Squadron 42(Wing Commander) my money would be invested well. Ok.. i did not spend hundreds of dollars.. but to each their own.

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Unlocks:

Greetings Citizens,

• Exclusive star system for pre-launch backers. Only players who support the game before its
      launch will receive the computer coordinates needed to allow their jump drives to access this system.

That 18 million goal sounds lame, why create content that will only be available to some? Also it will cost 2 million to create it?!

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Cristina1
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Unlocks:

Greetings Citizens,

That 18 million goal sounds lame, why create content that will only be available to some? Also it will cost 2 million to create it?!

Special areas for early backers and collectors edition buyers of various games are becoming more common.  In this case, it's an easy reward for them to make.  I'm not all that excited about it, but it might be cool.

18 million is a stretch goal for funding.  Its just a reward to the community for reaching another milestone, it's not going to cost 2 million to make the reward.