Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8 year old game still very visually stunning!

DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA7e33TA_is

Just wanted to share this video with you guys. Also i would like to mention here that EQ2 has one of the best soundtracks of any MMO out there. (imo)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Comments

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

It can be, the Isle of Refuge had so much detail to it, then you have places like TS which are just barren and bland, looks horrible. You have the nasty character models which I still don't understand why they never remodeled them. What about those Griffins? They have the worst model ever and doesn't even look convincing that is is flying, WoW looks much better compared.

https://www.everquest2.com/images/en/features/gu37/griffin2.jpg Come on SOE, get rid of that nasty model that animates poorly already!

This is what character models look like... http://images.wikia.com/eq2/images/1/1d/Soga_human_female.jpg

This is from alpha http://beldin.be.funpic.de/eq2/eq2_screen002.jpg

Why are the footsteps so loud and always sounding the same? They need to change easy things like the default levels of sound. 

I'd love to be a game designer on EQ2, I'd get everything changed that has pissed me off since beta.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    EQ2 never really did anything for me...The game always felt plastic and artificial.....I always felt much more immersed in EQ1 than EQ2.
  • CamoebCamoeb Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I've always loved the graphics in EQ2. There are games out there that are better in terms of graphics but considering how old EQ2 is it's still very impressive. I don't think there is a game out there with anywhere near  as much quality content that EQ2 has.
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    EQ2 never really did anything for me...The game always felt plastic and artificial.....I always felt much more immersed in EQ1 than EQ2.

That was my impression the first time I played it - plastic.

And let's not forget the animations, especially when riding a horse. Ugh.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Camoeb

I've always loved the graphics in EQ2. There are games out there that are better in terms of graphics but considering how old EQ2 is it's still very impressive. I don't think there is a game out there with anywhere near  as much quality content that EQ2 has.

Some areas and details look great, still, though I would say the majority looks it's age. They've really went over the top on the specular shenanigans, and the low resolution textures makes alot of things look claymation-like.

Totally agree on the amount of content though, it's pretty impressive. Even most of the quests are great.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

EQII always looked very plastic to me.

Rift looks better.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

It feels plastic for one reason...... the character models. 

The world feels like clay for another simple reason and that's the lack of time put into making it, SOE love to shit out expansions. I still stand by the IoR and the areas around the cities feeling amazing, then after that it's like they had to rush zones and it all felt very cheap. The only zone I liked in the game was CL and that was probably because it was meant to be barren lol.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

EQ falls into the exact same category for me as LOTRO and vanguard did.  the scenery is at times flat out awe inspiring.  but the characters look very underwhelming compared to the environment.  (in the case of vanguard, it's actually comical)

if i had to pick an overall best looking MMO, taking into consideration art direction, graphics quality, environmental design and character models i'll take either FF14 or another old game, eve.  of course space is probably a lot easier to make than a vibrant fantasy world (see also: negative space) so i'll give the slight nod to 14.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    I agree, EQ2 has more to offer today than most other MMO's. It is just amazing to play! When they added flying to the game it just took it to a  whole new level!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I know people poo poo this game for one reason or another, but I do enjoy playing. Tons of quest, my house is the sh*t and I really like crafting random stuff.

Not for everyone, but it is for me.

Life is Short, Read a Book.