Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impressions?

BigpigBigpig Member Posts: 128
Still got my dl coming down darn router and firewall /shakefist

What is char customising like are we all going to look like clones?image

Comments

• LazzerusLazzerus Member Posts: 99

eh its not too indepth, but atleast theres alot of races.

My opinion matters to everyone...

• holycannoliholycannoli Member Posts: 236
    First impression: It's a nice loading screen, and the error and server down messages are colorful.
  • AftonAfton Member Posts: 13

The creation screen is very limited only 3 or so different looks for each race and those differences are only hairstyles. Only one face to choose and you cant alter your size or skin or hair color or anything else.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Honestly I am not very impressed at all.  Yes I know a lot is unfinished but here are my dislikes:

1) User interface is one of the worst I have seen compared to other games

2) Graphics are horrible

3) Very difficult to find your way around to even find a quest period.  At least WoW has a ? to show you who could give a quest.  No need to be running around for 20 minutes just to find the right person to talk to.

4) The movement to me is very bad, I hate to keep double-clicking to the spot I want to move to.  And if I click too far I have yet to find out how to stop and not keep going.

It's just not a user-friendly game at all and I am very disappointed to say the least.

• LordAnubisLordAnubis Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by Deerhunter71

4) The movement to me is very bad, I hate to keep double-clicking to the spot I want to move to.  And if I click too far I have yet to find out how to stop and not keep going.

err its w a s d movement what are u going on about?
  • PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Got to the character creation screen. Extremely lacking. Clicked create, was stuck on please wait for 20 minutes and then the server was taken down again. I was booted to a screen with a half naked elf and a animation of a half orc smashing his Axe in the right corner. This screen was I stuck with for 5 min ctrl + alt + del and if this doesn't get better the game is off my hd before 2 days have passed.

But don't get me wrong it's a very very great game and it's only in beta so this doesn't mean shit for the release in April.

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

wasd or point and click. with the terrible cameras sometimes i would just opt for the bad point and click method.

but my true first impressons....well flying was sort of fun. that being said i sold my pioneer this morning.

• VaskurVaskur Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by fulmanfu

wasd or point and click. with the terrible cameras sometimes i would just opt for the bad point and click method.
    but my true first impressons....well flying was sort of fun. that being said i sold my pioneer this morning.

Point and click movement is the bane of MMOR{G's, one thing tyo learn from Shadowbane.  That, and bad programming!
  • zizi81zizi81 Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by holycannoli
    First impression: It's a nice loading screen, and the error and server down messages are colorful.

Agreed. image
  • Staffa22Staffa22 Member Posts: 22
    You can point and click if you want but you don't have two.  The movement is just like WoW or SWG.  Hold down both mouse keys and you move forward, or you can use keyboard.  I sort of like the click and point option if you want to get to one specific place.  But it isn't the only way to move. 
  • eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

One thing to help the graphics is using this command:

/enginesetquality high

That will drastically improve your environmental and character textures.

• FlashGordanFlashGordan Member Posts: 56

Honestly I am not very impressed at all. Yes I know a lot is unfinished but here are my dislikes:
    1) User interface is one of the worst I have seen compared to other games
    2) Graphics are horrible
    3) Very difficult to find your way around to even find a quest period. At least WoW has a ? to show you who could give a quest. No need to be running around for 20 minutes just to find the right person to talk to.
    4) The movement to me is very bad, I hate to keep double-clicking to the spot I want to move to. And if I click too far I have yet to find out how to stop and not keep going.
    It's just not a user-friendly game at all and I am very disappointed to say the least.

1) Its not the worst, but its not great

2) Did you even set your graphics on high after you got in the game? They arent horrible, they look fine to me.

3) There are ?s above npcs with quests if you took the time to see the one standing beside you in the starter town.

4) You dont have to click to move, you can use WASD.

Play the game for more than 20 minutes before you write a review or go back to WoW and stay off the Dark and Light boards. No sense in being here if you dont like the game? Agree?

EDIT: Did you expect it to be user friendly going in to a game that is 6 months from release?

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I wish I could comment but over the last couple of days have only amanged to stay in a minute or two at a time. With the login server down all the time I sseldom get back in :( Hopefully they are sorting out the major stability things right now). Still looking forward to running round.

• porcelinaporcelina Member Posts: 5

i'd like to point out that you can all remap your movement keys to whatever you want.

• CurrywurstCurrywurst Member Posts: 19

First impressions? ::::07::

What in hell is PacMan doing in this game? You can find him on the starting screen...

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Phoenixs

But don't get me wrong it's a very very great game and it's only in beta so this doesn't mean shit for the release in April.

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101

not too impressed.

lag was severe and the character movement was really choppy. was unplayable. character creation is basically nothing but a choice of three hairdoo's and even that was bugged.

i hope it gets alot better, quickly. in all fairness i beleive its too early to be overly critical but my first impression is i'm a little dissapointed.

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by FlashGordan

1) Its not the worst, but its not great2) Did you even set your graphics on high after you got in the game? They arent horrible, they look fine to me.3) There are ?s above npcs with quests if you took the time to see the one standing beside you in the starter town.4) You dont have to click to move, you can use WASD.Play the game for more than 20 minutes before you write a review or go back to WoW and stay off the Dark and Light boards. No sense in being here if you dont like the game? Agree?EDIT: Did you expect it to be user friendly going in to a game that is 6 months from release?

I'd like to see you back up some of your answers here defending SoG. Seems you're kinda glancing over some things.

1. What's "not the worst" about the UI? There's virtually nothing intuitive about it. Claiming your pre-order pet. In EQ it was /claim and there it was. In SoG it's L for skills, train mounts to 1, then use a spell to get it. How about checking your XP? Click what looks like a minimize unlabeled button on your health bar that expands it. Then click some strange ^^^^ bar that doesn't look like what you just learned was a button to expand (the same effect the other different button did) your character attributes. On the chat bar is what looks like a button to select what "channel" to talk to, instead it does nothing, you click the channel word. Information messages fly across the screen into an icon above your menu button, but you can't do anything with them, why is that there?

2. Graphics can be attractive, if you click /enginesetquality high. Problem is, how does your average user know that? That's a tidbit I picked up in IRC chat from another player. Most players wouldn't be playing with that on. Why are there three places to change graphics, /slash command, "Engine level" and apparently something in Options? Do any of them work? How do they work?

3. Never did see any quest NPCs. I saw maybe 5 and non would talk to me. In fact, the only reason they talked to me was even though I got the "ATTACK" icon when i moused over them, I tried a right click and tada, talk. Chat bubbles, if you can call 'em that, ugh. Enemy players AND mobs are both the same red dot, even in Non-PVP zones. There's no indication on the radar what type of target the dot is.

4. Why the two forms of movement? Why is flying S = up, W = down so that if you wanna take off you have to press W for forward, then 0 (!?!?! why not just hold jump!) then S right away or you land because you're now.. backwards?

Now, I know in a beta UI can change drastically, I've watched DDO change for the better, but they were tweaks, not the sort of complete useablilty and intuitive use overhaul SoG/DnL needs. You're defending the product but I'm afraid Deerhunter has some pretty valid points. Point that a consumer will expect to be addresses and should already have been addresses, if not optimized, after 4 years of development.

DDO is about 6 months out, and it's quite user friendly. Vanguard is several months away, again, already user friendly. DnL you need more information than is available to an average user to control and we have nothing from NP3 showing they know how to make a fully fleshed out UI, and AD we know won't be able to provide us with accurate information about any of it.

Eoweth - Exactly what I was conveying also.  U went into more depth but very good job indeed.  I like you could not get any quests from talking to any of the NPC's at all.

This is just not what I was expecting period and its been in development for years; it should be a LOT farther along and more user friendly than it is now.

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Wow! After seeing the myriad of probs on the DnL site boards, I decided towait to even download the SOG.exe

Not in a hurry to do so atm either. I would have to agree with many of you however, after the YEARS this has been in production, to hear the horror stories of a first glimpse is EXTREMELY disappointing. I understand these guys are new to the MMO thing but jeez louise! Have they even been testing this????Did the chinese (snailgames ppl who contributed $3M to the game) get the tested, better, user-friendly setup? As with many many things with this company, I think they dropped the ball BIG TIME on their fans this time around.

As a pioneer also, even without looking at the game yet , I too feel ripped off.

• clinteastclinteast Member UncommonPosts: 159

Eoweth - Exactly what I was conveying also. U went into more depth but very good job indeed. I like you could not get any quests from talking to any of the NPC's at all.
    This is just not what I was expecting period and its been in development for years; it should be a LOT farther along and more user friendly than it is now.

SOG is not DNL it is a prelude to it. But what did you guys seriousley expect to see? I to am slightly dissapointed by SOG but early days yet and hopefully if DNL is released in April it has most of its features.

Anyone that has tested games no they have hickups/bugs from the start so comparing this stand alone game for the fans to the controls in WoW or EQ2 is a bad comparison indeed.

I personally think peoples expectations was too high but i have to agree with most that they seem to have had sufficient time to bring something better to the plate. Only time will tell. Hope they improve the UI tho.

• FurrbawlFurrbawl Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by clinteast

SOG is not DNL it is a prelude to it. But what did you guys seriousley expect to see? I to am slightly dissapointed by SOG but early days yet and hopefully if DNL is released in April it has most of its features.
    Anyone that has tested games no they have hickups/bugs from the start so comparing this stand alone game for the fans to the controls in WoW or EQ2 is a bad comparison indeed.
    I personally think peoples expectations was too high but i have to agree with most that they seem to have had sufficient time to bring something better to the plate. Only time will tell. Hope they improve the UI tho.

I have been through lots of MMORPG launches, and been through a couple of beta's too.

But what did you guys seriousley expect to see?
    - I expected feedback from the Dev's/AD as to status when servers crash. Someone other than other players.
    - I expected the Forums to stay open for communication from the Devs/AD, and help from other community members.
    - I expected to be able to play on Dec 8th as the Pioneer offer stated, then on the 12th, then on the 13th. I expected to be able to log into the game the first week.
    - I expected to be able to connect when the servers were up. Not get a too many connections error when there is only 8881 of us trying to connect.
    - I expected the IRC chatroom we were told to use to be staffed by AD, not a bunch of yahoo's talking about their adventures in SWG.
    - I expected to get a response from the tickets I filed with the DnL site since the moderators there have nothing else to do with the forums shut down.

I expected NP3/AD to act like professionals.

I guess I expected too much.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
    J. R. R. Tolkien

• two2litrestwo2litres Member Posts: 50

even tho the game is nowhere near complete (and they said it would be nowhere near complete) with many of its features missing, daaamn, it looks promising.

a few bugs you have to get used to (alot actually hahaha hopefully theyll be fixed sooonish) but after a while u get used to it and just enjoy the features that are working.

lets give these guys a chance, its thier first game.

BUT, lets keep the complaints flying, so they know what we dont like.

• DaEm0nDaEm0n Member Posts: 520
    To be honest people, I don't see the big deal on this game. "The Largest MMORPG" Not much of a big deal. So, it's a big game. I do admit that the info so far does make a good impression. But, i hope they also focused on gameplay than just the environment. image

This siggy is CGI that my cousin made in 4 hours.