Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst launch of any *NEXT GEN* mmorpg ever?

Comments

• wandererchanwandererchan Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I kinda remember GW2 being up and down a lot during launch. I also remember it being very terrible at early access. All mmo launches are all bad.

People need to deal with it. Nothing perfect.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Torcip
    Originally posted by nomatics856
    Originally posted by Maelzrael
    Yea I wouldn't call this next gen, it brings almost nothing new to the table that I experienced. Also it's been said that the game hasn't officially launched yet.. if that matters.

This isnt a beta.

And neither has it launched. When it launches then you can come back and say it's the worst launch and no one is going to debate whether it's launched or not.

I really doubt some miracle is going to happen on launch day.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

First off I pre ordered for early access I did not pre order just so I can go out side. Thats not an excuse. Matter fact you have the worst excuse ever.

Don't know how long you have been playing MMO's but I have yet to see the first MMO (re)launch where you can play as a preorder from the moment they open up the servers without waiting for hours/days in login qeues or server outtages.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Since the big shots who actually make the decisions are not at work yet,you need to wait until late Monday to hear their response before over reacting.

As to worst launch a big LOL,not even close.

Two xpacs ago Blizzard shut down forums to keep a hush on all the glitch's and bugs.When i talked to players in game they said the bugged quests were known 2 weeks and still Blizzard did not react to fix them.

Rift had a very big following in Beta's and were no where near ready on launch day,they issued apologies.

EQ/EQ2 both the top end game for their time,full of tons and tons of bugs.

Guild Wars had tons of que ue's ,especially the Eternal  battlegrounds.They asked for more time to monitor and remedy the problems,meaning they were not prepared.Culling problems,known issue but ignored for a rushed release.

Pretty much EVERY game has a poor release and the common trend is que ue's.That is what this network/server team decided to go with was que ue's,so not a huge difference from any other game.

The only game i have ever played that i encountered zero problem  was FFXI,however it did have  a full year in JPN release before here.FFXIV is the highest end game released yet,so over crowding will be a MUCH bigger issue than say Wow with their low end graphics and yet Wow still had many problems with over crowding.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    OP should have preordered and experienced the infamous Vanguard Launch.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

Vanguard was 9 years ago. Shouldn't things be getting better by now? players need to stop giving free pass to companies.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

It's a problem of capacity.

You don't generally design network/server capacity based on the extreme conditions of a launch period, because that will result in a lot of redundancy, and fairly quickly.  The reason is that the launch period is the only time in the history of the game where almost all of the players are playing at exactly the same time and for extended periods of time.  It's not replicated down the line as people's schedules normalize, the new car smell wears off, and people get back to a more normal play schedule, which tends to spread the players out over days and time slots.  If you design infrastructure to handle the initial rush, at the very least you end up with a lot of excess infrastructure, while in the worst cases where games have done this (e.g., WAR), you end up with a lot of dead servers 3 weeks into the game once people are playing on a normal schedule, and tremendous pressure to merge servers or give free transfers and so on (neither of which a game company likes to do because it reeks of "the game is dead" meme).

So, yes, launches are going to be rough for the most part.  It's because it's a unique load that the architecture isn't generally designed to deal with (and in cases where it IS designed to deal with it, this creates other problems).

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Vanguard was 9 years ago. Shouldn't things be getting better by now? players need to stop giving free pass to companies.

Technology is not the same. It's not like they are working with the same tools from years ago and they should have mastered them by now. It has evolved. The market has grown a lot. The player base is way bigger now.
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

vanguard was in 2009 not 2004

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

What you have is a bunch of folks taking out their anger that they can't log on and play a video game. It's mass temper tantrums. I deal with this stuff all the time with my 6 y/o. Give it time.. it will pass.

As for the "launch" (isn't launched yet) It's clearly been shaky with the servers, but overall, when I do get in, the game runs and looks amazing.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Praetalus

What you have is a bunch of folks taking out their anger that they can't log on and play a video game. It's mass temper tantrums. I deal with this stuff all the time with my 6 y/o. Give it time.. it will pass.

As for the "launch" (isn't launched yet) It's clearly been shaky with the servers, but overall, when I do get in, the game runs and looks amazing.

That's what the forums are for apparently, just on and vent all your fustrations. And man threads are on fire and everyone is mad at each other lol.

Originally posted by Syno23

Actually we both are wrong it was Jan 2007. But you get my point. it is really sad that it has become such a norm to defend companies for bad launches in 2013. With all the technology advancements in MMO genre one would have hoped that these problems would be handled in a better way but for some reason we are still comparing launches in 2013 with 6 yeahs old games.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Originally posted by Syno23

Actually it was neither -- it was January 2007.

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261
    It's a good game, be patient, within a few days all of these issues will be gone and we can all enjoy the game 24x7 as intended.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

First off I pre ordered for early access I did not pre order just so I can go out side. Thats not an excuse. Matter fact you have the worst excuse ever.

Don't know how long you have been playing MMO's but I have yet to see the first MMO (re)launch where you can play as a preorder from the moment they open up the servers without waiting for hours/days in login qeues or server outtages.

It's not even just MMOs. Maybe when some of these kids grow up and get some real life experience with things like major purchases such as having a new car break down. They'll begin to realize screaming at the world about it only pisses them off and makes the situation generally worse for everyone involved.........and everyone not involved.

1st, you have to realize there isn't a dam thing you can do to change the situation.

2nd, you have 2 choices from here. You can either accommodate it. Or remove yourself from it. Neither of which changes the situation, only your relationship to it.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Too many "loggers" and "Game is crap, don't even play it!"

Not enough  "loggers" and "Game is crap don't play it, it is dead!"

I don't pre-order. Haven't in years, and several launches ago. I have my reasons.

The one thing I don't get is the complaints abut not having a queue. Is it better to loose connection while waiting in queue for hours on end, or, better to have servers locked? To me that seems to result in the same situation.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It's not even just MMOs. Maybe when some of these kids grow up and get some real life experience with things like major purchases such as having a new car break down. They'll begin to realize screaming at the world about it only pisses them off and makes the situation generally worse for everyone involved.........and everyone not involved.

1st, you have to realize there isn't a dam thing you can do to change the situation.

2nd, you have 2 choices from here. You can either accommodate it. Or remove yourself from it. Neither of which changes the situation, only your relationship to it.

+1

I like to say this, all the time: "Don't like it. Don't play it. You want them to listen? Start talking more with your wallet, instead of your mouth/keyboard."

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    I think so.

It's not next gen. It's current gen. Furthermore, this happens on EVERY MMO launch. 

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237
    I wasn't aware FF XIV: ARR launched... I was only aware of those given early access, which isn't the same as launch.  In fact, early access is a way for game companies to do exactly what Square Enix is doing.  Gauge the load on their servers, identify problems, and fix them before the official launch.
  • Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Silacoid
    I wasn't aware FF XIV: ARR launched... I was only aware of those given early access, which isn't the same as launch.  In fact, early access is a way for game companies to do exactly what Square Enix is doing.  Gauge the load on their servers, identify problems, and fix them before the official launch.

That is what a proper stress test is for.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

1. This game is the exact opposite of "next gen" it is catered to "old style" players who wish some of the old feeling of classical MMOs back.

2. Never preorder an MMO and never play one at launch. All of these stupid failure threads are exaggerating. But hey it happens every time ;)

Actually, they aren't... for myself the game has been unplayable for 70+ out of the last 93 hours... and was plagued by problems the rest of the time...

I think I played for 70 of those 93 hours, thank god for maintenance or my eyes would be bleeding.  Am I the only one that experienced 0 issues throughout my entire playtime?

• VymmVymm Member Posts: 112

Lots of bad launches over the years.  As for a re-launch ... this is pretty sad.

I was there for most of the BAD/TERRIBLE initial launches, including the original FFXIV.  Not sure where I rate this one but ... its gotta be in the top 10 of all time worst re-releases.

Vymm

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Its certainly the worst launch of this year, by a long shot.

Ive never seen a company so inept with the simple task of giving people game keys for their purchases.  Its not just through the main SE website, there you wont even get a key.  If you buy through a 3rd party site youll get an invalid key.

SE hasn't even made a single post, or tweet, or anything to let people know what is going on.  A lot of people paid for the game and have no way to redeem their code, most never even got the code they paid for.

A complete mess.  This is even before you have to deal with the server issues, and in game issues.

Its like this is some 5 man indy studios first launch...its absolutely crazy for a company like SE with now 3 mmorpg launches experience.

You know it wouldn't be so bad, for those of us who paid for no game key or an invalid one, if someone from SE just explained what is going on.  For me, with an invalid code, I don't know if I have been ripped off...the 3rd party site I used says its out of their hands...which isn't very reassuring.

Just wait until more than the lucky few can actually get in game, I got a feeling theres going to be some major issues beyond just getting the game you bought, beyond just getting on the game once you jump that hurdle.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Well, it's not a particularly flawless launch, but is definitely not the worst ever, not even the worst in recent time.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    I think so.

I think not.  Worst by far was Neverwinter.  The servers crashed, and that crash caused all the other Cryptic and PWE game servers to crash.  Any release that has a game crashing that causes all the other games run by the people who released said game to crash earns the "worst release" title in my book.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

This discussion has been closed.