Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy 14 ARR will be one of the best PvP games ever

ChronohlChronohl Member Posts: 16

RvR has been considered by many to be one of the best and most entertaining forms of PvP in MMO games

What We Already Know About FF14 RvR system:

Name: Frontline (Realm vs Realm)

1- you will choose your faction (there will be 3 - Ul'dah, Limsa Lominsa and Gridania)

2-you have to defend forts (We don't know how many forts and how works maybe like DAOC?)

3-the frontline zones will be open for PVP 24hrs

4- rewards gears and ranks

Yoshida Quotes:

"And when you gain a certain amount of points, your PvP rank will go up. As you gain ranks in PVP, you'll receive a different type of points. These particular points can be used to obtain weapon skills, for example. PvP players can create certain builds by using these points. These points can also be used to purchase the PvP gear I introduced last time."

"So essentially, your goal would be to gain points through matches to obtain PVP skills, passive abilities, and gear to grow stronger. You can even buy—well, I might get yelled at by the Battle team for saying this but..."

For example, you'll be able to purchase this one paladin PVP ability, and its effect changes depending on what grand company you've joined."

" What we've decided to do is create two separate sets of skills for that players will have the freedom to interchange depending on whether they’re playing PvE or PvP. These PvP actions will be obtained through participation in PVP"

" We are planning to have it so you can view the camera of the players PvPing, but we’re just barely progressing with this, so we will be looking into this as a feature to be released in the future"

"on front line, we are planning to implement it on patch 2.2 or 2.3 we’re talking which one it’s going to be on, it has higher probability of it being on 2.3 but once you go in, depending on your grand company the starting point changes so, you’re going to take over forts against other players. there are parts where crafters also comes to play. the frontline zones will be open for PVP 24hrs"

Comments

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

You point out you know almost nothing about what PvP will be like but still proclaim it'll be one of the best ever.  Ladies and gentlemen, your average PvPer!  /clap

MMORPG PvP is garbage - it's just grief-based dookie for people who can't handle real competition.  Whatever PvP ultimately shakes out of FFXIV months from now will be just another representation of the typical garbage.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• Xenn88Xenn88 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Voqar

You point out you know almost nothing about what PvP will be like but still proclaim it'll be one of the best ever.  Ladies and gentlemen, your average PvPer!  /clap

MMORPG PvP is garbage - it's just grief-based dookie for people who can't handle real competition.  Whatever PvP ultimately shakes out of FFXIV months from now will be just another representation of the typical garbage.

first you blame him for making assumptions,

and next you do the same yourself ^^

Let's just wait and see what it will be like shall we? :)

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168

LOL ^ 

called out

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

check out sword art online.  full VR, open pvp, 1 life, you die in game you die for real.  no magic, no ressurections.

gotta clear 100 levels and bosses to get out alive.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Highly doubtful.  If FFXI is any indication, the PvP in FFXIV will be nothing more than a distraction.

Even though I am enjoying FFXIV quite a bit, I wouldn't even make such outrageous statements.

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by nickster29

Highly doubtful.  If FFXI is any indication, the PvP in FFXIV will be nothing more than a distraction.

Even though I am enjoying FFXIV quite a bit, I wouldn't even make such outrageous statements.

Thats because FFXI didnt have a producer who is madly in love with PVP and wants his system to be extremely fun and versatile.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

What little I've heard about FF14's pvp actually sounds pretty neat so far.

I didn't come in for the PVP so it'd be a bonus to me if they came up with something fun.

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

What little I've heard about FF14's pvp actually sounds pretty neat so far.

I didn't come in for the PVP so it'd be a bonus to me if they came up with something fun.

Yeah after i finished the 20 lvls of main story content available in phase 4 within first day or two, I spent the rest of my time testing out the Wolf's Den just for kicks on my 50's.

Two things i noticed:

A) PvP mechanics such as kiting peeling etc that are typically found in most games were drastically different due to the variety of skills (sleep being the most obvious) and effects presented in this game.   Landing combinations from the flank or rear position while also maintaining adequate CC and avoiding being a victim of the former yourself, created a much more enjoyable yet challenging pvp experience as a melee character in particular.

B) Lots of PvE players in this game need to improve their pvp skills lol i'd say i won 75% of my matches despite being heavily undergeared on my 50 lancer and archer yet was consistently at the top of the dps charts (wonderful thing to have) at the end of the matches.  Obviously that is subjective and over time players will improve, however the amount of back-peddling and struggles some players seemed to have was surprising, especially when i switched to some of my ranged jobs and realized just how many tactics were available to keep yourself alive if executed properly.

The pvp impressed me and although it's quite early and will need some definite tweaking, (melee range consistency and false animations were my main complaints) a variety of classes and strategies were present that I do not typically find in MMO pvp.  I'm excited to see how it will play out once pvp abilities and gear is implemented as well.

Edit: I realize this is SE's version of arena pvp, not everyone's cup of tea however I enjoy the 4v4 death matches myself.  I think this was a smart idea to start with and balance out any issues initially before launching the open world pvp zones/frontlines, for the flood of qq from the average participant is less forgiving.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

He will it be standing in one spot wailing away at each other like all the PVE videos I have seen?  ROFL

One of the Best PVP games.

This game hasn't even been able to open its servers up for its head start players, nor does it even have pvp in it at this time.

Let's see if it can make it past the first few weeks of actually letting players on to PVE before we start proclaiming it "One of the best".

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    too early say about pvp. cure heals 360, ur damage ability hit 70-90 damage....
  • jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

Huh?

I had over 10k dmg in most matches on my DPS roles...

Maybe if your unable to land cc to set up 3 step combo's you were capped at 70-90 dmg... Or you were playing a tank

My Lancer(wearing greens mind you, not blue's or even as a Dragoon) hit for over 400 consistently on Full Thrust to close out my combo's was dropping squishy's at a faster pace than other MMO's I have played.  Well timed stun + buffs + 3 ability combo easily did 50% of a DoM's health.

Dropped plenty of BRD's, WHM's, BLM's, even some PUG's with decent burst. 

Not to mention the amount of types of damage buffs and debuffs available that could enhance these numbers significantly with proper team comp and coordination.

I found some paladins were ridiculously tanky however the time to dps someone down i found perfectly fine and no longer than other MMO's pvp I have participated in.

I also loved how some matches were over in 3 minutes, yet I would queue again and have a very exhilarating battle that took 15 min+ and was riddled with clutch raises, sleep's, combo's and would witness the tide of battle shift to-and-fro.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

I'm not holding my breath for PVP with such huge GCD's. The graphics are also peaked to the point where such over exaggerated skills and animations would only hurt PVP than help. If they add it as a side thing for sh"ts and giggles, i'll have my fun with it, but "Best PVP Game ever" is never going to happen.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by jskeets916
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

Huh?

I had over 10k dmg in most matches on my DPS roles...

Maybe if your unable to land cc to set up 3 step combo's you were capped at 70-90 dmg... Or you were playing a tank

My Lancer(wearing greens mind you, not blue's or even as a Dragoon) hit for over 400 consistently on Full Thrust to close out my combo's was dropping squishy's at a faster pace than other MMO's I have played.  Well timed stun + buffs + 3 ability combo easily did 50% of a DoM's health.

Dropped plenty of BRD's, WHM's, BLM's, even some PUG's with decent burst. 

Not to mention the amount of types of damage buffs and debuffs available that could enhance these numbers significantly with proper team comp and coordination.

I found some paladins were ridiculously tanky however the time to dps someone down i found perfectly fine and no longer than other MMO's pvp I have participated in.

I also loved how some matches were over in 3 minutes, yet I would queue again and have a very exhilarating battle that took 15 min+ and was riddled with clutch raises, sleep's, combo's and would witness the tide of battle shift to-and-fro.

How about we actually read the testimonial from someone like the above who has actually PLAYED it.  OP is insane.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Coated

I'm not holding my breath for PVP with such huge GCD's. The graphics are also peaked to the point where such over exaggerated skills and animations would only hurt PVP than help. If they add it as a side thing for sh"ts and giggles, i'll have my fun with it, but "Best PVP Game ever" is never going to happen.

For good pvp the combat needs to be 'crisp', actually its kinda nice for pve too. The combat in FFXIV feels extremely 'mushy' to me. Extremely. Still having fun but hope they can really sharpen the combat so things happen the instant you instigate them and that feedback is given the instant something happens.

• genoshangenoshan Member UncommonPosts: 51

So, after reading this thread, there is NO PvP at this time ?

So what is this talk about matches ? Is there arena style PvP already implemented ?

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67
    Real PvP lets you ruin other peoples gaming experience. Thats what PvP is about and I like it more than anything else.
  • EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

It's not competition that drives players to do RvR and PvP in MMOGs. Hate and revenge is what makes PvP so good. Ask any oldschool L2 player out there, they will tell you the same.

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Tgiordano92
    Originally posted by nickster29

Thats because FFXI didnt have a producer who is madly in love with PVP and wants his system to be extremely fun and versatile.

so did guild wars 2

@OP: i suggest to wait till you can actually test sth, before you claim to know "The best pvp" game out there :P

Originally posted by neorandom

check out sword art online.  full VR, open pvp, 1 life, you die in game you die for real.  no magic, no ressurections.

gotta clear 100 levels and bosses to get out alive.

uh and jus curiious how could a novel be the best pvp game?

there seems to be a tekken like clone of it... but surely nothing that we should talk about here... "no magic, no ressurections." and first of all, no mmo

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Xenn88

first you blame him for making assumptions,

and next you do the same yourself ^^

Let's just wait and see what it will be like shall we? :)

Nice one!

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

Definitely interested in this, but it sounds like Arena style PvP, though larger (like Rift Conquest).  Not DAoC or GW2 RvR.

Is there any word on what the limit on numbers per side is?  Is it 20,40, 100, 200 or what?

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111

http://global3.memecdn.com/Tactical-facepalm_c_122898.jpg

what is it with these posts?

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

This thread is massively silly.  While I do love PvP - it's normally what I play games for, the jury is very much out on this one.  First off, there must be some sort of damage reduction from players. Otherwise, the DPS classes will just own everyone.  Could you imagine a scholar/archer using Bane to spread all of their DoTs around?  Yeah, right.

That said, I *hope* it's excellent.  I think Scholar would be hugely fun to play with in PvP.  However, we know that the 2.0 release won't be until next year and PvP is probably in 2.2/2.3.

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

Definitely interested in this, but it sounds like Arena style PvP, though larger (like Rift Conquest).  Not DAoC or GW2 RvR.

Is there any word on what the limit on numbers per side is?  Is it 20,40, 100, 200 or what?

there will be arena's and then there will be open rvr area's.,

'

Let's never mentioned GW2 and DAOC in the same sentence . ok? GW2 made more money than daoc ever will and is 5% the "RVR" daoc had at it's worst time.

Goes to show, the best games don't make the most money. I have my reserves about ffxiv.... But i am hoping that this will be a game that adds pvp a little late and is a sleeper.. and it's good. We've had games come out with pvp in it at the beginning and they all sucked, gw2, wow etc... actually WoW Vanilla PVP wasn't all that bad.. TM/SH open world fighting was nice until they instanced all those people into bg's and ruined open world pvp. ANYWAY...

Maybe we'll get lucky. Probably not? But let's wait and see

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by OfficialFlow

http://global3.memecdn.com/Tactical-facepalm_c_122898.jpg

what is it with these posts?

Hahaha...lol!!!

I had similar reaction.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    "TEH GRATEST PEEVEEPEE EVRAWR!"

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!