Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardware Question

Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31

Hey guys, I'm pretty tech savvy if I do say so myself but in the makings of planning out a new computer I was advised something.. 

Quantity over Quality 

Explaining more is it better (Video Card wise) to have Quadro NVIDIA K600 Video Card or just a straight up NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Video Card? 

I know it might not be an accurate example of Power/Performance/& Cost. But in theory Is Quantity better then Quality? 

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I was under the impression that professional graphics cards (Quadro series) are designed for video and 3D modeling work.  They aren't made for gaming, from what I've read.

Your choice will depend a lot on your budget.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by MMOBlogger

Hey guys, I'm pretty tech savvy if I do say so myself but in the makings of planning out a new computer I was advised something.. 

Quantity over Quality 

Explaining more is it better (Video Card wise) to have Quadro NVIDIA K600 Video Card or just a straight up NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Video Card? 

I know it might not be an accurate example of Power/Performance/& Cost. But in theory Is Quantity better then Quality? 

They're both the Kepler architecture, but a GeForce GTX 760 has 6 SMXes, while the Quadro K600 has one.  The GTX 760 also has vastly more memory bandwidth, so ignoring drivers, it will get you about 6 times the performance of the Quadro K600.

So why would anyone get a Quadro K600?  Drivers and customer support.  GeForce drivers are optimized for consumer applications, especially games.  Quadro drivers are optimized for certain professional graphics applications that may run poorly on a GeForce card--but are not optimized for games.  If a GeForce card dies while under warranty, you can send it off for warranty service and likely have your replacement back in a few weeks.  If a Quadro card dies or is otherwise having trouble, PNY will be rather faster than that about helping you out.

For consumer use, there's no point in getting a Quadro card, nor its AMD equivalent, a FirePro.  But if you need one of the professional graphics programs that the cards are optimized for, or are going to give the card some enterprise use for which getting prompt tech support if it goes bad is vital, then the professional graphics cards may well be worth the money.

• Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31
    Oh, I see.. Hmm Guess its quality for me!

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com