Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all of the haters of MOBA....

2»

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
          I refuse to play any forms of MOBA or Esport..   Been there, done that..  It's boring as hell in my opinion..  It doesn't matter if it's 3v3, 5v5, 10v10 or 20v20..  Each game play is the same..  For me it's as boring as playing tic tac toe.. I feel better challenged playing in a PvE environment or HUGE 100v100 battles..
  • DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Imagine the outcry from MOBA fans if a certain MOBA game was done away with in favor of turning it into an MMO like EQ.

pretty sure they are not "doing away with" any games..

but if a "moba" was to come out that had MMO play styles. I'm sure people would either play it or not play it..

League has a really toxic player base when it comes to league... but it pales in compairison to this bunch on the mmorpg.com forums.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by Rydeson
          I refuse to play any forms of MOBA or Esport..   Been there, done that..  It's boring as hell in my opinion..  It doesn't matter if it's 3v3, 5v5, 10v10 or 20v20..  Each game play is the same..  For me it's as boring as playing tic tac toe.. I feel better challenged playing in a PvE environment or HUGE 100v100 battles..

but its not a moba, and no one has said it will be..

it will have moba style combat.. big difference. lol

this isn't Everquest: moba

they just said "it will have moba style combat"... COMBAT

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi
    I myself could not bring myself to like this kind of gameplay, but your text have something that i also have been thinking around. How come people cry for "holy-trinity" based gameplay and hate so much on MOBAs? :/

People are crying for the trinity because the only well known mmo to try no trinity was g2 and they've played gw2 and it was horrible.  Their milktoast homogenized class system where everyone is a tank/healer/dps but at the same time no one is a tank/healer/dps was the best PR the trinity ever received.  MOBA style sounds so much better than cloning gw2, at least there will still be roles.  I haven't really seen that much hate for MOBA style.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Dewm
    Originally posted by Rydeson

and moba style combat is boring to me..  hell I can't even handle GW2 for longer then 30 minutes..  EQN will be even worse

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Actually, SOE said that it takes CLASS ROLES from MOBA's, not combat.

And I made a post in another thread about how it could work and be fun. I love MOBA's, I love MMO's, so win win for me.

Here it is, I dug up my post from this morning:

Let's say they use the following roles:

Carry = glass cannon huge dps

Ganker = dps that can take out side mobs real quick, but can't melt major mobs like a carry

Diasabler = CC/debuffs

Nuker = Big spells that can change the course of a battle (think big AoE vs carry melting things)

Initiator = Tanky class that goes in first and might have some cc/debuff, but not to the degree that the disabler does.

Jungler = Really good are self sufficiency and taking on smaller adds (aka off tank with some dps)

Pusher = Hmm, not sure about this, usually a class that takes down towers really well, sometimes can summon or control minions.

Support = heals/buff/cc/utility

So a fight would start with the Initiator going in to draw early fire, the jungler and ganker looking for stragglers the whole time, the Carry and nuker start burning down mobs, and the disablers CC anything that looks like it might get to the carry/nuker. And support is there to help whoever needs help.

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I just hope they capture the essentials of a good MOBA. It doesn't have to be so fast paced as many think. IMO positioning, cooperating and timing is everything. One class to setup another. I also hope most engagements require supports; Crowd Control, Damage Mitigation, Buffs, Heals etc. From what i have read tho this may not be the case. Can't wait to see how it turns out, but i am afraid they just don't know what makes a MOBA good.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Rusque

Actually, SOE said that it takes CLASS ROLES from MOBA's, not combat.

^^^ THIS

I already stated this and so have others but the OP and others are intent on ignoring it.

The reddit quote being misconstrued by people here was comparing class ROLE interaction in EQN to MOBAs because it was the closest thing  that exists.That doesn't even mean that it will have MOBA class role mechanics just something along the same lines.

However I have no objection in someone making a MMOBA(extra M is deliberate) and I'd try one out but it wouldn't be a MMORPG,MMOFPS,MMORTS...it would be it's own sub genre.

EDIT: I could see a MOBA being part of the PvP side of an MMORPG as a mini game or instanced Arena.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

You know, most gamers don't play just one kind of game. They might play mostly one kind of game, but there's usually at least two different types of games played. MOBAs happen to be one of the most popular type of games in existence, so it would not be surprising that a lot of MMORPG players are also MOBA players.

Holy cats MOBA players can be a bunch of d!ckholes though. Seriously. Matched based FPS shooter gamers have nothing on MOBA gamers. Although, it's possible that most of the d!ckholes are playing LoL and not DOTA2. Maybe. It's hard to say.

But even taking that for granted, it's not a sure thing that someone will be a d!ckhole in a MOBA, and also a d!ckhole in an MMORPG. Different styles of games with different goals and different play styles. I am not the same kind of angry person replaying the exact same scenario in single player RPGs that I am playing through an encounter in MMORPGs. Single player games can make me ANGRY, but it's OK, because I'm mostly angry at myself. MMORPGs don't usually make me angry, so it's a much more chill experience.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

I tried League of Legends, Smite and so on but did not enjoy them. The pvp style was not my cup of tea and I did not like the far away camera perspective in third person view, actually the pvp was boring with all this AI in addition to the gods you can choose from. It was very stale in comparison to PANZAR where your own personal skill i.e. movement, environment position and so on plays a role..in other words a lot more action and exctiement.  I did not try Dota 2 so far.

The only new moba game I really like besides TFC 2 is PANZAR, this game reminds more on World of Warcraft pvp style but of course it is more simple. Its really fun and for those who come home back from work and want to play pvp for an hour or two. They have several individual classes and the fun is actually that this game needs teamwork and its not always about 1v1.

There are 2 european servers at the moment, the EU server with lower population and probably problematic for people outside of Europe to find a game outside of the main gaming time and the russian Panzar.ru european servers which have really a lot of players online almost 24 hours.

Check it out, funny game if you like Worldofwarcraft and TFC2 you will probably like this game aswell.

http://panzar.ru (client download right side with the arrow symbol)
    http://www.panzar.com/

You can choose the language for your client into english or other langauges doesnt matter what server or client you choose from both links. But you need for each client a different account with a new email.

I recommand to change the slider at lvl 4 for less xp but more gold if you want to stay for longer in the lower lvl barracks or if you want to upgrade your armor and to collect ressources for it. Iam not investing a lot of time and not a single dime ( they have a cash shop) and so far its really good for a quick and short session.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I didn't play them because I heard the communities were awful...

But after trying LoL and loving it, my experience has been the opposite. Same for DOTA2. The community in LoL is 100x better than any MMO I've played. I don't know where all these a-holes people keep griping about are, but I rarely encounter them. They all must be playing MMOs.

I'll try ESO and SotA but I've given up on the current crop of MMOs. MOBAs are far more interesting and fun.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I don't get why MOBA's are so popular.  I just don't get them i guess.

I also can't stand the isometric camera angle prevalent in them and games like Diablo.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Here are more infos about PANZAR in addition to what I posted in this thread already, did write about it a while ago:

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/forums.cfm/thread/forums.cfm?ismb=1&threadId=393235

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

TL:DR - I think Moba's could be sweet... play one before you judge.

Tried them, still don't like them. They simply aren't fun to me. Not sure why, as I played a bit of the old DOTA back during WC3 days. It was fun for a week or so, then I got bored of it, and every varrient since has been... well... just boring.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

The reason I don't play LoL and MOBAs anymore:

Me as master Yi: I am going to take bottom with Alistar.

Random retard: "YOU SHIT EATING C**T BALL GO JUNGLE BEFORE GIVE YO MOMMA ANOTHER SPANKIN! "

And no, that isn't a joke, that happened my last game in LoL.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I don't hate MOBAs, not my style of game, but I just don't want to see their style of combat intrude into MMORPG space.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Tough crowd and unforgiving. Unfriendly to newbs but if you are interested in playing them stick with the genre and eventually you'll get it. Then the fun can start. Make some friends and do organised matches or even stick with random which is meh but hey. Ask how to play and get the popcorn. It's always funny. But yeah done afew serious matches and it's good if you know what you're doing it's up to the team not to let the others down. So, give it a go if it's your thing but have a thick skin and open mind.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

If I want a MOBA I will play a MOBA. If I want a MMORPG I will play a MMORPG.

In my experience when you attempt to combine 2 memes such as these, you will get an outcome that is LESS than the sum of all its parts.

My 2 pennies.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Random retard: "YOU SHIT EATING C**T BALL GO JUNGLE BEFORE GIVE YO MOMMA ANOTHER SPANKIN! "

And Dave Georgeson said this the crowd he wants to entice to the F2P EQN.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• slash9456slash9456 Member UncommonPosts: 13

MOBA's or ARTS is a good genre.

But one thing to take into consideration that this style of game is highly competitive and so it comes as no surprise that folks here would not like that.

MMO's aren't exactly known for their role in e-sports, whereas the Dota's and the LoL's are highly competitive e-sports so much so that the two games are leading in the e-sports scene at the moment.

It's like addressing FPS shooters on an FPS website about their general dislike or lack of interest in RTS games for example. Take peoples opinions with a grain of salt.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Well, did you go jungle? Try to be more cooperative.

• Reiken_BirgeReiken_Birge Member UncommonPosts: 59

I'm not really against MOBA games I just have a hard time taking them as my main kind of game. If there is any kind of game out there that I play casually it would have to be MOBA's. Hop on with a frew friends, screw about for a few matches and get on with my life. I find myself having a hard time caring too much about them.

Every now and then there's one that catches my attention though, like LOCO. But that game is gone now so the alternative is SMITE. I like the hands on approach quite a bit more than the standard MOBA gameplay but even then that doesn't really drive me past casual enjoyment of these games.

Kingdom of Knights - Community Manager