Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P Freeloader Question

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 5,157

A thought hit me while reading today:
"Do F2P freeloaders actually play with strangers in their F2P MMOs?"

I ask this because their whole rationale for not paying one cent is that "*I* am the content." There are some posters here who make it abundantly clear that they do not pay for their MMOs, do not play with others unless they are already friends or family, and generally despise having strangers in their online games.

So, are these players actually providing content?

Maybe in a PvP scenario, but what about the rest of the game?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,992
    Perhaps they are like more intelligent NPCs, you know, to provide some backdrop but otherwise not to have much impact on others gaming experience. Taken a step further, perhaps they should be cannon fodder for those who pay.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

Hmm, well I recently freeloaded my way through Neverwinter. And for the first time in any MMO, I did not group up with another player at any point from start to finish. I had no need and no desire to do so. Didn't even really think of it as an MMO to be perfectly honest - just a free, fun, soloable action-rpg that was a mindless distraction for a couple of weeks. Did I provide content? Well I could have done so quite literally by creating a Foundry quest, but I chose not too. I might argue that my mere presence in the game contributed in a small way by adding to its overall popularity, but that would give the impression that I felt some need to justify my freeloading and I don't. 

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member Posts: 1,152

Actually we provide the content for them. It helps them feel less alone.

Even though these players claim to not like people, hate to be bothered, hate pugs, but still they would rather play an MMO than a single player RPG.

Why? Because misery loves company.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

All players provide some content by being background noise. Even if they don't group with anyone, they still exist in the game, are still seen in the game and still help fill the game world with all the other players.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 5,157

Originally posted by lizardbones
    All players provide some content by being background noise. Even if they don't group with anyone, they still exist in the game, are still seen in the game and still help fill the game world with all the other players.
    You and Kyleran kind of have a point.

However, with the trend of giving player their own instance in which to play, are players really any different than NPCs?

I mean, look at SW:TOR. Sure, when the Jedis on their starter world all gather at the door to the council room for their personal instance, are they really contributing?

Vindictus is another good example of players leaving the city and heading off to their own instance.

GW2 is like this, too. The personal story instances have the players standing around at their instance's entrance location.

I guess even then, players are still mainly "visible", though they do not do anything.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,882
    Originally posted by lizardbones

There are threads here all the time asking for MMOs that have alot of players....They dont necessarily want others to play with, just to know that the game has a healthy population and lots of others around to look at......As for freeloading, many of us played for years paying 15 dollars a month that added up to thousands of dollars a couple times....Do you really think we should have to do that for every single MMO?...Also the second we stopped paying we haad literally nothing,...Maybe after you've burned a few thousand dollars of your own hard earned money in this genre you'll see things differently.

Originally posted by Theocritus
    As for freeloading, many of us played for years paying 15 dollars a month that added up to thousands of dollars a couple times....Do you really think we should have to do that for every single MMO?...Also the second we stopped paying we haad literally nothing,...Maybe after you've burned a few thousand dollars of your own hard earned money in this genre you'll see things differently.
    How much of those "thousands of dollars" did Arenanet (GW2) get? How about Nexon? How about the newer companies that were not around when the old pay to play games were the norm?

What you paid in the past has absolutely nothing to do with what you pay for now, or anytime in the future.

Try telling your phone company that you have paid "thousands of dollars" over the past 30 years and DEMAND that you get free service now. Does not matter if those dollars went to AT&T, not Verizon.

Or is the whole "company" thing a big sham and it is all run by EA anyway?

I do like your theory when it comes to gasoline, though. I have paid tens of thousand of dollars in my lifetime of owning cars. Can I get some free gas now? Please?

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31
    Well idk if this means anything but... If I dont see players "standing in front of instance doors" I uninstall or find a new server.. I need player backdrop. 

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,771
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I ask this because their whole rationale for not paying one cent is that "*I* am the content." There are some posters here who make it abundantly clear that they do not pay for their MMOs, do not play with others unless they are already friends or family, and generally despise having strangers in their online games.

Three points.

1) The rationale is not "i am the content". At least not for me. My rationale is that it is a free world. If a dev is offering free fun (providing the game is fun for me), i have no reason not to take him up on it.

2) No. I usually don't play with others, although i am in a guild.

3) I seldom pvp, except when i play PS2 .. where i have to pvp, and obviously i am content then.

Now i am not much of "content" (aside from a pay customer seeing me as background in a public area) but at the same time, i am not there to "contribute". I am just accepting free fun offered voluntarily by devs.

• healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 100
    according too them they are if you bother to read the neverwinter forums you can find all kind of free player gripes about changes pw has made too there self worth

Originally posted by MMOBlogger
    Well idk if this means anything but... If I dont see players "standing in front of instance doors" I uninstall or find a new server.. I need player backdrop. 
    That does make sense. You are just looking for bodies, ie: other players.

May I ask if you feel that these others players will group if you ask, or is just seeing them there enough?

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by nariusseldon

A thought hit me while reading today: "Do F2P freeloaders actually play with strangers in their F2P MMOs?"I ask this because their whole rationale for not paying one cent is that "*I* am the content." There are some posters here who make it abundantly clear that they do not pay for their MMOs, do not play with others unless they are already friends or family, and generally despise having strangers in their online games.So, are these players actually providing content?Maybe in a PvP scenario, but what about the rest of the game?
    Three points.1) The rationale is not "i am the content". At least not for me. My rationale is that it is a free world. If a dev is offering free fun (providing the game is fun for me), i have no reason not to take him up on it.2) No. I usually don't play with others, although i am in a guild.3) I seldom pvp, except when i play PS2 .. where i have to pvp, and obviously i am content then.Now i am not much of "content" (aside from a pay customer seeing me as background in a public area) but at the same time, i am not there to "contribute". I am just accepting free fun offered voluntarily by devs.
    Understood. Cannot argue with playing what is offered :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• Reiken_BirgeReiken_Birge Member UncommonPosts: 59

I tend to be a total free loader in most F2P games out there, and while I am part of the content, it would be ridiculous for me to assume that I am all of it.

Besides what's the point of playing an MMO if not to be a social gamer?  Sure you can enjoy playing by yourself but it's an MMO because there are lots of other people around for you to meet, make friends with, go on adventures or simply grow to hate and dispise and want to kill because they tipped over your cow or something.

Still not really sure what being a free player would have to do with being a not so social one though.

Kingdom of Knights - Community Manager

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    There is no such thing as a F2P Freeloader, it is a myth. Players who don't pay as long as they interact with people who do play are part of the game's content. Large scale activities such as raiding, rallying calls, PvP, even fast moving dungeon queues require a large and active player base. Without Free players the paying customers wouldn't be able to do these activities on a regular basis. Also consider the player driven markets where one player buys and sells items to other players. For example look at how active the player auction market is in Vindictus. Put up an item and it gets sold within 5 to 10 minutes and chances are the item was bought by a non payer. This is especially true in the armor dye market where the big spenders buy armor dyes in the cash shop and sell them to non-payers for in game coin. If the Free player didn't exist the big spender wouldn't exist either because there would be no one to buy their stuff.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

What exactly are you asking?

• Free players clearly play with others in F2P games.
      • In a PVP game like Planetside 2 free players certainly are the content.
      • In a PVE game players are also content:
        • Vanity targets: show off your gear to other players.
        • Aspiration: view other players' impressive gear.
        • Economy: they buy/sell items on the auction houses (or equivalent.)
        • Active Game World: other players make the world feel a bit more alive.
        • Grouping: they're potential groupmates.
    • Free players don't pay because (a) the game hasn't justified their money yet, or (b) they never plan on playing.
      • The rationale is almost never "I am the content."
    • Neither payers or non-payers really care whether players are content. Both groups are predominantly playing the game because it's fun to them.  Grouping can certainly be a part of that fun, so it's not a complete non-factor, but it's not usually the sticking point.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I think this falls under a basic principle of economics: people will try to do things that improve their position in life (thats a paraphrase). If somebody's offering something that they think makes their lives better (IE more fun) for free, they'll do it. any justification is meaningless. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

This discussion has been closed.