Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Killer is here

2»

Comments

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Be tough for them to do if they can't even keep their own servers online....
  • CackstaCacksta Member Posts: 4

Remember when Warhammer came out? Everyone said WoW stood for Waiting on Warhammer, cause it was the for sure WoW killer. Every MMO release is just nicknamed, "The WoW Killer".

Been a MMO fan since UO, played it all. UO was amazing, as was EQ. DAOC and Shadowbane were fun. Still play WoW on and off. FFXIV really just feel like most Asian MMOs. I will still give it a go but it doesn't seem that special, yet at least. Biggest complaint? I don't need to watch 1 hour of pointless cut scenes in my first 1 and half hour of playing.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Yes, the WoW killer is here.It's called Vivendi

I came here to post this.
    :|
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Why do the fans of this genre feel like this HAS to play out  like some twisted version of Highlander? Hey, there was only one Duncan McCleod and he already won. There can never be a repeat of what he did. But beyond the used of a redundant forum title/topic FFXIV so far seems to be another solid addition to the mmorpg genre and I'm enjoying it whenever I can actually play...or maybe that's part of SE's plan...no...wait...they tried the "limit playing time" trick last version...well it seems this time it's actually working.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• RizaunRizaun Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Blizzard created WoW... only they can destroy it... and from what I've read they've been doing it for a while.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Thanks for the laugh.  The thread title alone is hilarious.

Please attempt to be reasonably objective and remotely serious.

FFXIV is stupidly easy for 20 levels and until we've seen beyond that and seen endgame, any proclamations are ridiculous.

I'm confident that this game is yet another clone that's even more dumbed down than usual, won't be worth a sub, and people like the OP will be gone within 3-6 months.  My sentiments are equally ridiculous since nobody knows how this will play out - but at least my statements have potential and sadly are far more likely.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by Voqar

Thanks for the laugh.  The thread title alone is hilarious.

Please attempt to be reasonably objective and remotely serious.

FFXIV is stupidly easy for 20 levels and until we've seen beyond that and seen endgame, any proclamations are ridiculous.

I'm confident that this game is yet another clone that's even more dumbed down than usual, won't be worth a sub, and people like the OP will be gone within 3-6 months.  My sentiments are equally ridiculous since nobody knows how this will play out - but at least my statements have potential and sadly are far more likely.

Stupidly easy?  Wow invented stupidly easy.  

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

I had a lot of problems killing level 33 mobs for my hunting log.  I was level 25.

That counts, right?

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

...Seriously?

WoW is so massive in very large part due to a very large Chinese presence.

There is a very anti-Japanese sentiment in China.

FF XIV is a Japanese developed game.

Ergo, FF XIV doesn't have a shot at being a Wow-Killer.

Besides, what the hell does it even matter??

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

WoW currently is already being "killed" and this MMORPG nor any other should be the sole purpose behind its inevitable downfall one time. The thing about killing WoW ironically is that it's going to take a 40 MMO raid to take down this beast and they all need to make sure they remember how the encounter is going to go by watching numerous youtube videos....

• GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79

WoW killer?...NO.....Does it matter? No

Why do we need an MMO to be a WoW killer? Just be happy its a solid, good game, that you want to play. Lets be happy for all us who are sick of the "new" type of MMOs that destroy trinity and dumbdown so much, that we got ourselves an old-school, but fresh and refined MMO....in a awesome setting...Final Fantasy.

Listen, i was all gung-ho for SWTOR, who, yes, has old school style play. But sadly, it was a collosal failture at end-game, content updates, and basic must have features that MMOs have....and currently they still dont have most of them.

Power to old school MMOs!

• sumnayinsumnayin Member UncommonPosts: 19

I laugh when I read that these games are done better and all this jazz, this is WoW....it follows the same exact formula as WoW and will not kill it because it will keep a small sub base like every other copycat.

Quest hub to quest hub, instanced dungeons/raids, more questing, no system to differentiate anyone from anyone else(everyone ends up in the same gear with the same appearance).  There is no old school feel to this game like people mention, because there are no old school elements.

• GreyifGreyif Member UncommonPosts: 17

Obvious Troll, going to reply anyway.

Firstly, I believe calling something a "WoW Killer" is a curse, no game in history has killed WoW, it is still going just fine.

Secondly, I don't like final fantasy, I looked at it, and it's just plain boring. I don't like the dirty upskirt japanese art style, no class at all. Always stay classy.

Third, The only WoW killer will be another MMO developed by blizzard. The moment they announce a new MMO, gamers hardcore and casual will start sandbagging leave from work, buying fresh poop socks, move their beds beside their computers and prepare themselves for another soul crushing, divorce creating and life stealing MMO addiction.

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

The only Wow killer is Wow, but I know the nature of this thread lol.

Still I feel like you could be 5% genuine.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Katilla

I love watching the WoW fans get so upset whenever someone trashes their crappy game.  FFARR is an amazing game and WoW pales in comparison to it.... when the servers are actually up and not pissing you off to no end with an error 90000 and you cant connect, nor view the servers.... not a very smooth "head start" at all so far, kind of sucks that most of my day is sitting in a server que or hitting the refresh button over and over to see if my buddies server has been population unlocked.

So yeah, better than WoW but will not be a WoW killer because its not very noob friendly and doesnt spoonfeed you with everything.  WoW will always be around because it's easy to play.  Troll on

HAHAHA!!!  Why did I even look in this thread?  I'm really trying to figure out what is amazing about this game?  The engine and graphics are good...that's about it.  The rest of the game is the same thing that we all have been playing for the last 9 years.  If you aren't tired of this stuff after 9 years I don't know what to tell you.  Don't you want some freedom, not being led by the freaking nose from quest hub to quest hub?

Edit:  If I hear another person call this "old school" I'm going to take a flying leap.  This is 2004 school.

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by Katilla

I love watching the WoW fans get so upset whenever someone trashes their crappy game.  FFARR is an amazing game and WoW pales in comparison to it.... when the servers are actually up and not pissing you off to no end with an error 90000 and you cant connect, nor view the servers.... not a very smooth "head start" at all so far, kind of sucks that most of my day is sitting in a server que or hitting the refresh button over and over to see if my buddies server has been population unlocked.

So yeah, better than WoW but will not be a WoW killer because its not very noob friendly and doesnt spoonfeed you with everything.  WoW will always be around because it's easy to play.  Troll on

HAHAHA!!!  Why did I even look in this thread?  I'm really trying to figure out what is amazing about this game?  The engine and graphics are good...that's about it.  The rest of the game is the same thing that we all have been playing for the last 9 years.  If you aren't tired of this stuff after 9 years I don't know what to tell you.  Don't you want some freedom, not being led by the freaking nose from quest hub to quest hub?

Edit:  If I hear another person call this "old school" I'm going to take a flying leap.  This is 2004 school.

You haven't read much have you, quest hubbing is not the only way to play this game, nor is it the most efficient way to level.

• truce12truce12 Member Posts: 26
    The beginning is extremely easy, but I'm pretty confident that things change.Good luck with that.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    oh noes!!!!!! the WoW killah strikes again.......RUN!!!!!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Elegance92

Yes, the WoW killer is here.

It's called Vivendi

Last I heard blizz was trying/going to buy their freedom back, actually :P

i think they already did.

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Elegance92

Yes, the WoW killer is here.

It's called Vivendi

Last I heard blizz was trying/going to buy their freedom back, actually :P

i think they already did.

Yea it seems so, I had stopped following before the deal actually happened!

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Sorry but the WOW killer won't be out until next year and it's name is WILDSTAR.

This game does not even hold a candle to that and to prove to you I'm right, I present to you exhibit A:  

A: Wildstar lowest level dungeon VS  FFXIV low level dungeon.

Final Fantasy low level Dungeon  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfCmSWcBK8w

Wildstar lowest level Dungeon   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_82r0RzfI

I rest my case your honor.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Only Blizzard can kill WoW.
This discussion has been closed.