Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game will be a let down

GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

The fact is, this small Dev team has bitten off far more then they can chew. EVERY SINGLE indie sandbox in recent years has been crushed under the eight of its own ambition (except maybe perpetuum but that wasn't very ambitious). All these indie sandboxes promise the world, just look at MO, DF, Xsyon, Earthrise. All where hyped up as the savior of sandboxes, only to have many of the promised features not implemented and be a buggy mess.  

The Repopulation is far more ambitious, and promises far more features then any of those games, with a far smaller dev team. The amount of features this game promises would be a challenge for a AAA company to follow through on much less a dev team of a couple people.  Don't give me "but the devs are so responsive and seem to care about their customers." Yeah that was the same thing with Xsyon look how that turned out.

Upon release the game will have lots of hype, with lots of people logging in at the beginning hoping for it to be the savior of the mmo genre. Soon people will leave in droves after its revealed to be an unplayable buggy mass with a fraction of the features implemented

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Gintoh

The fact is, this small Dev team has bitten off far more then they can chew. EVERY SINGLE indie sandbox in recent years has been crushed under the eight of its own ambition (except maybe perpetuum but that wasn't very ambitious). All these indie sandboxes promise the world, just look at MO, DF, Xsyon, Earthrise. All where hyped up as the savior of sandboxes, only to have many of the promised features not implemented and be a buggy mess.  

The Repopulation is far more ambitious, and promises far more features then any of those games, with a far smaller dev team. The amount of features this game promises would be a challenge for a AAA company to follow through on much less a dev team of a couple people.  Don't give me "but the devs are so responsive and seem to care about their customers." Yeah that was the same thing with Xsyon look how that turned out.

Upon release the game will have lots of hype, with lots of people logging in at the beginning hoping for it to be the savior of the mmo genre. Soon people will leave in droves after its revealed to be an unplayable buggy mass with a fraction of the features implemented

So don't play.   Problem solved :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

I don't think I will, just want to warn people so that they don't end up following this game and having their sandboxer hearts crushed after years of waiting.

I mean just look at the features these devs are promising, it's laughable! Its a sandboxers wet dream, every feature anyone could want in a game. It makes Derrick Smart look un-ambitious.

• ZanagiZanagi Member Posts: 30

Someone please give the OP a hug. He needs it. As for broken promises you should be use to that now.

ill still play it when they release this sandbox

• RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267

Simple solution. Don't play it, don't spend any of your money on it.

Sorry but you don't get to make the decision for everyone else, only yourself.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    It was a let down for me a long time ago. When the player shops had to be in pvp areas only that was it for me.  Even in Eve online I can have my player shop where I want in high security space. It was doomed to be a very niche game with pvp as its main focus. 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It's interesting that you choose to post this about the only indie MMO dev team that

• - sends out regular communication on their forums and email
    • - has consistent updates to their work and constant forward progress
    • - playable content and an actual working game
    • - multiple videos showing off the content they've developed so far
    • - a growing, dedicated team of people working on the project

So, cut to the chase for us... what's your real issue with the game or its team?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It's interesting that you choose to post this about the only indie MMO dev team that

So, cut to the chase for us... what's your real issue with the game or its team?

Thats like Xsyon. :( It seemed trustworthy. Good, communicative devs and everything, but somehow it just didn't work out, none of these indie sandbox games do.

• wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    Thats like Xsyon. :( It seemed trustworthy. Good, communicative devs and everything, but somehow it just didn't work out, none of these indie sandbox games do.

Look at Xsyon, it was ugly from the beginning, videos were horrible, graphics were horrible, nothing released by Xsyon ever wanted to make me play Xsyon. Watch a Xsyon character creation video, now watch the new Repopulation's character creation video. Watch a Xsyon crafting video, watch the Repopulation's crafting video. Watch Xsyon Clan building video, Watch the Repopulation's Nation video. Are you not seeing the difference here? Also The Repopulation will be free 2 play, sorry you are hurt that Xsyon ripped you off, no need to come and troll their game from broken promises made by Xsyon.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I'm surprised this game keeps getting threads like this made about it. I don't think there are a ton of people wagering their house note on this game, but I also don't see how it is the apocalypse if it sucks. If you don't understand that this is an indie sandbox game and have commensurate expectations then send me your credit card number and I will buy some good games for you.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

you told us so. got it. we're all really glad you did.

in other news, I now I have a new folder called Who The Hell Cares what some Random Whiner Says, About a Game He hasn't Even Played Yet, on the Forums.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by ignore_me
    I'm surprised this game keeps getting threads like this made about it. I don't think there are a ton of people wagering their house note on this game, but I also don't see how it is the apocalypse if it sucks. If you don't understand that this is an indie sandbox game and have commensurate expectations then send me your credit card number and I will buy some good games for you.

Agreed. it's the haters, the guys that thought TOR was going to be the messiah of MMOs and got let down. They see a strong indie creeping up on the charts and want to cast stones at it. Such a useless waste of energy making these threads for a game that will be free to play. I believe the last 4 big AAA games on here got a 5 point something score on this site. The indies are welcomed at this point.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Nothing like Xsyon. Xsyon...

• touted "90% done" which was never true
    • big talk about plans but little ever delivered
    • had a very small team with a very big ego at the top
    • rarely ever sent out updates. Emails were almost non-existent during development
    • barely anyone heard about it until six months prior to their first release date when they started taking pre-orders

You can verify all of that just by looking at the Xsyon boards here. Were you lying to yourself there or just hoping we knew nothing about Xsyon and you could slide by making crap up? The Repopulation doesn't have any of the red flags of Xsyon, Divergence or some of the other "indie" projects.

So, again, what's your agenda here? Do you have something against Repop or one of its team members?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Probably true. But it is using the Hero Engine which supposedly saves a lot of development time.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by wowclonez
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Agreed. it's the haters, the guys that thought TOR was going to be the messiah of MMOs and got let down. They see a strong indie creeping up on the charts and want to cast stones at it. Such a useless waste of energy making these threads for a game that will be free to play. I believe the last 4 big AAA games on here got a 5 point something score on this site. The indies are welcomed at this point.

I'm one of those haters lol, and even I don't get the chronic beating this game is taking. I think you must have meant the TOR white knights, the ones to this day who insist that the most restrictive and simplest game is the best game.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Nothing like Xsyon. Xsyon...

• touted "90% done" which was never true
    • big talk about plans but little ever delivered
    • had a very small team with a very big ego at the top
    • rarely ever sent out updates. Emails were almost non-existent during development
    • barely anyone heard about it until six months prior to their first release date when they started taking pre-orders

You can verify all of that just by looking at the Xsyon boards here. Were you lying to yourself there or just hoping we knew nothing about Xsyon and you could slide by making crap up? The Repopulation doesn't have any of the red flags of Xsyon, Divergence or some of the other "indie" projects.

So, again, what's your agenda here? Do you have something against Repop or one of its team members?

Well said.

• joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    It was a let down for me a long time ago. When the player shops had to be in pvp areas only that was it for me.  Even in Eve online I can have my player shop where I want in high security space. It was doomed to be a very niche game with pvp as its main focus. 

We have been mulling over that issue for awhile and haven't quite announced the solution (or well option) that might help with that issue yet. The real concern we have is moving to much of the features that drive a thriving player city out into a completely safe area is that most people will choose the solution that doesn't involve any risk. We plan on having some transport options and a bit of an adjustment to how the player cities work that we hopefully can sit down and detail further after PAX that should help (but not completely resolve this issue) for players looking to trade and run shops without getting hacked down running around out in the open world. It will come at some cost to the city owners, but part of building a thriving city will be attracting a wide variety of players.

There is a lot of PvE and PvP options to go around and the trick of course is trying to find the right balance to support both play styles and of course the hardcore server is for those who want to go further past what most players are willing to deal with in regards to casual PvP.

Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

• JahosefatJahosefat Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by joshuahalls

We have been mulling over that issue for awhile and haven't quite announced the solution (or well option) that might help with that issue yet. The real concern we have is moving to much of the features that drive a thriving player city out into a completely safe area is that most people will choose the solution that doesn't involve any risk. We plan on having some transport options and a bit of an adjustment to how the player cities work that we hopefully can sit down and detail further after PAX that should help (but not completely resolve this issue) for players looking to trade and run shops without getting hacked down running around out in the open world. It will come at some cost to the city owners, but part of building a thriving city will be attracting a wide variety of players.

There is a lot of PvE and PvP options to go around and the trick of course is trying to find the right balance to support both play styles and of course the hardcore server is for those who want to go further past what most players are willing to deal with in regards to casual PvP.

This is exactly why I have faith that this game will succeed. Devs that care enough to respond to critics in a constructive way. Not by just saying how great the game and ideas are, but working through the thought process and involving the prospective players in their decisions.  They are not "my way or the highway" types of responsed and it shows that they do genuinely care about making a game that works well. it may not be perfect for everyone but a nice balance is what they are looking for.

The effort that they make to respond on not only their own forums but other media as well goes a long way to build confidence. This game may not be the savior of sandbox MMO's but it is something that I want to play and it has the features I want. They have already proven with their demos and videos that they are getting stuff done and making it work.  That's enough for me right now.

Blackthorne Legend Gaming | Join Us! Jahosefat - Deckhand of Blackthorne

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I stopped following this game when it was announced it would be a F2P sandbox. But that's my reason. It's a personal choice I made not to play this game over.

But the points you listed are from your crystal ball. What info do you have that can tell me why I should just blindly accept this? I know, it happened to Xyson. But that doesn't mean it must happen here.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by joshuahalls

Thanks for the reply. I understand what your trying to do and have talked about it on your forums. My thoughts are why require game play mechanics that force players to do something they don't enjoy in order to do something they would.  If players don't want to get involved in PVP I do not feel any mechanic will make them want to join. (Shops in player cities for example) Good luck with your game I will keep an eye out on any changes you might bring to player shops.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

The main difference there is that Xsyon had one main developer who ended up outsourcing the programming to Russia, because it was cheaper.  he was constantly changing the programming team, true, but not growing a dedicated team.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

I don't think I will, just want to warn people so that they don't end up following this game and having their sandboxer hearts crushed after years of waiting.

I mean just look at the features these devs are promising, it's laughable! Its a sandboxers wet dream, every feature anyone could want in a game. It makes Derrick Smart look un-ambitious.

Let me get this right so your posting saying a game will not do well because it has a small DEV team and saying all indies fail? Well guess what DFO has not failed it makes money, ER made money but was buggy like most AAA's..... Oh Mortal Online still online after years, making money... EVE online, the fact that many , many games like Terraria and even Minecraft all Indies, but they all fail?? What have you been playing... Are you jealous of people that can make games and take on such a project?? You must be one of those that wish he was creative even a little... So this must be the worst attempt at a troll post to make such a comment.

By the way I work for an indie and have for AAA I much rather stick with Indies because they don't clone crap and care about what they are making, Indies are taking over and will even more.... AAA's have not idea what they are doing any longer besides remake, remake and remakes.... Like alot of movies.. The comment about the features promised , I have yet to see them promise anything.... You people and promises, so can I go to your work with out seeing anything and say don't buy anything at all, its bad??? Thats what your saying here, you have seen nothing, or played the game... That's the funny part

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I think AA probably already did that for some people? image

The key is that these sandbox games are still small fry compared to the huge marketing exposure of eg AA, EQ:N etc. It does not matter if these indies get the design nailed for a select audience and don't quite match that with high QA. I'm not expecting amazing tings from The Repopulation but I think it's one of the most interesting mmorpgs in development I'm aware of out of about maybe 5.

////

/////////////////////////////////////
  • Jester92Jester92 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Zanagi

Someone please give the OP a hug. He needs it. As for broken promises you should be use to that now.

ill still play it when they release this sandbox

lol so hard at this, I agree, but who can blame him, he is right for the most part lets just look at past letdowns.

Mortal online - Probably the best of the worst, really letdown by dev team being greedy and not listening to player base.

Wurm Online - Great game but out of date and really dead

Darkfall origional - was good but died too young

Darkfall UW - Abysmal community and dev team.

Dawntide - I don't even want to talk about it.

and several more...

LUCKILY I see the light at the end of the tunnel, whether this game is a success or not, I still have Everquest Next to look forward to!   It atleast has one thing that the above didn't have, and thats a AAA studio behind it, being SOE.

J. B.

• redo123redo123 Member Posts: 23

Well most indy developers are just plain stupid.  Off the top of my head I can think of DF/MO/Xyson/Earthrise/Dawntide

All of which (except dawntide) decided it would be really cool to make their own game engine...which resulted in MO/Xyson/Earthrise all being unplayable pieces of garbage.

I don't care how good your game is on paper, or how popular its ideas are...if the game is unplayable most wont give it more than a month to get playable before moving on...

Darkfall was the only one of the bunch with a playable game engine, and it has by far the highest player base, even the new one...as small as that is...it dwarfs its competition.

These guys with this game have a shot at making a decent sandbox.  However.  They are separating pve and pvp servers.  So on the pvp servers you wont have any crafters and on the pve servers crafters wont have peoples gear getting looted so they can sell their stuff. Bad move but I know getting a pve player to play a full loot game is as easy as getting a feral cat into a bath.  Go one or the other...pve only or restricted no loot pvp (yawn) or go full out with pvp.  At least then your player base will be concentrated on one rule set and focused.

Then theres the f2p thing.  So much potential for things to go wrong with this its not even worth it. 

These two reasons alone are why im not jumping in at launch,...and may never try it despite it being free.

I wish the game luck, but I just cant support a game that is both f2p and a sandbox with a divided pve and pvp community. 

This game is also lacking any sort of hype.  Even amongst sandbox fans.