Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Game HAS Happened

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by EthanC

Anyone else remember that movie "Idiocracy"? Loved it btw and highly recommend watching it because when I hear people doing their best to repurpose words to their own ends, I immediately think of that movie. One such instance is the one or two people I see trying to shoehorn the term "vaporware" into meaning "I have an irrational dislike of a random product I have never tried and somehow feel my opinion is valid."

va·por·ware  [vey-per-wair]  noun

Computer Slang. a product, especially software, that is promoted or marketed while it is still 
    in development and that may never be produced.

Maybe you'd enjoy logging in tonight and telling the random passers by, while they're building their empires, that they have to log out and uninstall because the game doesn't exist. I imagine that'll merit a warm reaction of moderate confusion, then blanket disregard as people go on about their evening ^_^

If you can pay for it and play it that same day, it isn't vaporware. If you disagree, you are wrong.

"Every game that I didn't see a $50M commercial for is vaporware. Every person I don't like because they make me explain my baseless comments is Jason Appleton. I am an authority in mmorpgs."

Need to get back to work. As always, thanks for the kind words those who offered them. Hope to see you ingame at some point :)

Until your product is released your product is vaporware. Sorry Ethen your product is vaporware.

Another definition of the word that supports your position vs Ethan's

Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled.

I'd say this project falls clearly in this definition at this point in time.

It's not the production that's important, it's the release to the general public, the launching if you will that matters.

Many MMO's have gotten right up to the point of launch after years of development, and then failed to release, they were vaporware. This is too, at least until they can really show a mostly finished product.

Incomplete software is not something you can point to as a product, but just a work in progress that may never see the light of day.  The longer this goes on, the more doubt people have regarding the eventual success of the project.

Ethan can solve the problem quite simply.  Announce a target launch date sometime in the near future (2 yrs or less) and hit it. 

Otherwise he's just blowing smoke regardless what people are doing in his alpha world.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Vigg

Do you expect him to get a warm and welcoming response from the community he just insulted?

Any response is just proof this place is a toilet, though.

It's the perfect trap; have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Compared to EQNext, the building element of this game seem lame.

This game needs more voxels and destructibility.

And rounded edges, not square blocks and predesigned placeable objects.

--------------------------------------------

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

On the Kickstarter front, the game went from 71 backers at 7,670 to 72 backers at 10,780 with the person not accepting the 1,000 dollar reward. Not suspicious at all........

Well that means there's about 4,320 to go in the next 10 days. So for fans of the project, it is looking a lot better than it did yesterday.

Be nice if we got some more concrete answers like has been mentioned in prior posts but maybe that is for the next KS.

On a side note has anyone used the link to try the game out yet?

• HerkoHerko Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

Would be only fair to give it a try before shooting it down, right? :)

As noted on other threads & posts: feel free to hop into our TeamSpeak server, and ask around when the servers are gonna be up (they usually are up about 1-2 UTC and are online for several hours, but it depends on what Ethan is working on); also by that time there´s usually some of our more tech-savvy testers, in case you have some questions on that front. On the TS you´ll also find a list of controls, and some tricks for increasing your frame rate in case you need them.

There´s no NDA for screenshots & vids, btw, so feel free to capture & post if you wish.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

On the Kickstarter front, the game went from 71 backers at 7,670 to 72 backers at 10,780 with the person not accepting the 1,000 dollar reward. Not suspicious at all........

Well that means there's about 4,320 to go in the next 10 days. So for fans of the project, it is looking a lot better than it did yesterday.

Be nice if we got some more concrete answers like has been mentioned in prior posts but maybe that is for the next KS.

I just noticed that, as well. 3,000 just showed up giving the campaign a nice boost toward its goal. : link

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by EthanC

People wonder why I avoid the mmorpg.com forums like the plague. That is, until they give them a try themselves lol

I've met many of the mmorpg.com staff and they have all been incredibly decent human beings. It's just the forums are... Well really... kind of... a toilet. But as in real life, toilets are necessary aren't they.

Doesn't look like you are avoiding it right now? Way to trash their forums after they have given you several front page interviews. Wow you truly are a loser, I guess the people on these forums were right. You been blowing steam about this game for like 8 years, still no gameplay except some block building. Give it up, hope your Kickstarter fails.

I guess this was put up yesterday on their forums:

Taken from this thread: http://www.divergence-online.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=344

'll keep it short and sweet...

We're in a snag.

It was a one/two punch between having no control over our own campaign due to a security breach at Kickstarter for almost two weeks, and that (and this is shocking but 100% true) as it turns out, you cannot donate to kickstarter through paypal... I know right, insane!

Those two things coupled together have really done a number on us, and so we need a little help to get over this hump.

The reality of the situation is, with Kickstarter, if you don't make the goal you get literally $0, unlike with Indiegogo. With ten days left and almost $5K left to cross, I don't know any other way to approach that without asking the community to pledge and/or help spread the word about the project. I have nothing left even if it would let me, which they won't.

Therefore, in addition to contributions, I'm willing to open the doors for anyone able to contribute enough to get it over the hump, several hundred to a couple thousand dollars even if I have to give that person their money right back after September 2nd. It isn't ideal, but it's a lot better than having to say "sorry guys, I know you were hoping for more cool stuff in the near future but we got $0 out of kickstarter and now we're screwed."

I don't think anyone wants that outcome, so please if you have the means, drop me a line through email or here and let's hash it out.

-Ethan
    [email protected]
    http://kck.st/18XeqZ6

Not going to throw the guy under the bus with Kickstarter but seems like something they might frown on. Also Don't they take out about 10% in fees or so? Who would eat that cost? Well either way probably better to put in 3k of your own money, take the hit on the fees to get the 7 or 8k of the other pledges. Not saying that is what happened but guess is one way of thinking when you have a close drive like this.

Well good news for people who want the project to succeed or at least move ahead to whatever phase is next is that they only need to get 3,620 in  9 days.

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Now you see here? Ethan comes in a trash talks this forum and I expected he was in a pinch. Then you come in and confirm it. Okay, so... why should people pay a man who just tried to insult them? the man thinks ass backwards. Sorry if the project doesn't get funded; it's obviously a there were quite a few potential customers who were looking forward to this game. However, I don't believe Ethan deserves the generosity.

Well this was probably for the "real" fans. This forum and us in general are more than likely viewed as a lost cause.

You never know though,maybe someone feels bad and throws in a few bucks.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

So he comes here insulting us as readers of mmorpg and then begs for a penny ?
    hope this guys dream will be realised, but no support from this toilet dweller.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Well this thread popped up while I was on main and it did explain the 100 posts spammed across the ‘sewer system’ (board) the other day.

Just a few tidbits of advice.

Never trash talk your potential customers or supporters.

Never promise something you can’t deliver. I see you are using Inesis code and probably using it straight out of the developers source with some models. The code is fine but the database is going to kill the game before it gets off the ground. You can’t simply use SQLite in a massively online game. It will tank the server so fast it will make your head spin after 100 CCU. Of course pissing on others corn flakes probably keep you under 100 CCU anyway.

Do not under any circumstances piss off your team members. I pissed on a lot of others in my quest for making my game (KoW) and in the process lost some really talented people. I still work on it as a solo developer and a personal project because I still love the genre but it will never get completed. By posting things like “this is the toilet’  that leads to a bad rep later and real talent will jump your ship. Keeping your developers is number 1 if you intend to get it finished.

Stop using Kickstarter. You are not ready for it. Nothing shown is nothing more than what I could do in a matter of a few days since most of the code is existing in the developers game engine.

Go back and make some mechanics into this like harvesting, crafting and maybe some combat then go to Kickstarter with some solid game play.

My 2 copper.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    I've cleaned things up a bit in here. it started off on the wrong foot. OP, perhaps not generalize about the people you're trying to connect with here. Giving things another go and leaving this open. Some civility from here, please.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Oh do I love drama... I thought I drop back in, though I did think I was done... but the drama is soooo irresistible.

But very well.  Actually, I am quite confident that the Kickstarter will succeed, even if it remains as it is to the very last day.  I suspect one person will give it the final push.

With that said, as to why there are such "haters" here with this project... is that we have seen this played out before through gaming history.  Below are some links of a similar story, which some of us know of.  If you know nothing of this story, it is a good read.  Take the time to read and understand, and perhaps may help to avoid future mistakes.

History of Battlecruiser 3000AD

Short Story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlecruiser_3000AD

Full Story:

Derek Smart's Side - http://www.loonygames.com/content/1.27/guest/

Nicholas Fang's Case Study of Battlecruiser 3000AD - http://www.stanford.edu/group/htgg/sts145papers/nfang_2001_2.pdf

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

Originally posted by Dracus

Oh do I love drama... I thought I drop back in, though I did think I was done... but the drama is soooo irresistible.

But very well.  Actually, I am quite confident that the Kickstarter will succeed, even if it remains as it is to the very last day.  I suspect one person will give it the final push.

With that said, as to why there are such "haters" here with this project... is that we have seen this played out before through gaming history.  Below are some links of a similar story, which some of us know of.  If you know nothing of this story, it is a good read.  Take the time to read and understand, and perhaps may help to avoid future mistakes.

History of Battlecruiser 3000AD

Short Story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlecruiser_3000AD

Full Story:

Derek Smart's Side - http://www.loonygames.com/content/1.27/guest/

Nicholas Fang's Case Study of Battlecruiser 3000AD - http://www.stanford.edu/group/htgg/sts145papers/nfang_2001_2.pdf

I'd put this more in the category of Glitchless' Dawn or Red Dragon Software. Derek may not be the best at interacting with people, but he does have several titles under his belt and has led numerous dev teams over the past couple decades. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I'd put this more in the category of Glitchless' Dawn or Red Dragon Software. Derek may not be the best at interacting with people, but he does have several titles under his belt and has led numerous dev teams over the past couple decades. 

Oh quite true, plus he does have mad skills.  I thought of this a good lesson of history in terms of hyping and then showing; along with the flame wars.  At a much bigger scale of course.  I'm not familiar with the two you mentioned, so that should be a good read to spend some time.

And on a side note, really, how you can be labeled as a troll is beyond my logic.  Your posts seem to be rather objective.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

Originally posted by Dracus
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Oh quite true, plus he does have mad skills.  I thought of this a good lesson of history in terms of hyping and then showing; along with the flame wars.  At a much bigger scale of course.  I'm not familiar with the two you mentioned, so that should be a good read to spend some time.

And on a side note, really, how you can be labeled as a troll is beyond my logic.  Your posts seem to be rather objective.

I try to stay very objective, however I'm quite the asshole at times, which is where that whole troll thing comes in. ;)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • so much anger and hate

makes me wonder if all your parents did not teach you

"if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all"

• wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by Amana
    I've cleaned things up a bit in here. it started off on the wrong foot. OP, perhaps not generalize about the people you're trying to connect with here. Giving things another go and leaving this open. Some civility from here, please.

Amana for president! Thanks for leaving this open. Hard to believe Ethan hasn't learned from Greedmonger's incident here. Surely he had to know about it.

• FradenFraden Member UncommonPosts: 53

I'm hoping the way he talks to his community here changes. On the forums for his game he is incredibly nice to us and never talks down this way. He doesn't make many wild claims over there either.

I don't know what the reason for this one was but I'm a bit disappointed, I have nothing against the guy but it's truly sad that a project has to suffer because he decided to post the way he did.

At the same time, a lot of the people here who spend time on mmorpg.com are completely rude and immature so it's not all fault of just one. I have seen the previous posts, even if the game seemed like vaporware some people really egged on this guy at the beginning and it's not a surprise he fires back in a passive-aggressive nature to them. It's really both sides attacking one another that have brought this situation that we have now. Even if he did ask for money several times in the past I don't see why people flamed him at first for it. Sure I can see it now where he insulted then asked. 

As far as I can see though the first 2 times he asked for money he didn't do so in an elitist or demeaning way, yet he got quite a bit of hell for doing it.

Well anyway, truly sad to see things go this way, I really want to keep following this project but for now I'm going to take a break. Divergence I wish you the best.

EDIT: To give credit where credit is due, some of you on these forums did respond in a mature fashion, kudos for that.

(It sucks you dont wanna see it)

This discussion has been closed.