Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nerf sprinting

Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Yeah, that's right. Sprinting should be nerfed. The cooldown on sprint is so low you can sprint just a few seconds after the current sprint ends. As it was in phase 4, it was too convenient to not be sprinting in the game (all the time), and it seems to almost completely invalidate your standard running.

I sprinted, a lot. It got things done faster, but I felt like I was racing to the next objective like a marathon runner (one on performance enhancing drugs). I'd much prefer it to not be something that's overly convenient, and largely mechanic altering.

Comments

• mentoplusmentoplus Member UncommonPosts: 73
    and then you engage 2 mobs with 0 tp and you have to run like a retard for 40 secs to get away
  • PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66
    so...don't use sprint?
  • striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    No one is forcing you to sprint
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

it does take all you tp to use sprint so in a battle it would be a trade off to run faster but unable to use abilities. I really dont see the problem with it

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Did you try not clicking the sprint button in order to play the game in the manner you are most interested in?

Or are you more concerned with how others play?

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Preythan
    so...don't use sprint?

I expected this response. I gave you my reasoning for using it, and I'm arguing against having it because it IS too convenient. I will use it for the convenience, that doesn't mean I like the feature as a whole. I am not going to arbitrarily scale my character against the optimal mechanics in place. I'd much rather the mechanics to be scaled instead.

Right now they encourage everyone to race around, so they do. Don't let people do that, it's that simple. Quite frankly, the mechanic is stupid. I've never seen an mmorpg that invalidated the typical running animation so much.

Originally posted by Shadowguy64

Did you try not clicking the sprint button in order to play the game in the manner you are most interested in?

Or are you more concerned with how others play?

I want it nerfed so nobody can spam sprint. Yes. It goes in line with with the title of this thread.

• RavenHighwindRavenHighwind Member Posts: 25

So because YOU don't like it ... you want 100s of 1000s of other players to get nerfed..

HAHAHAHAHA ... yea not happening. But nice try.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    People are able to run too fast in real life - it's too convenient. Everytime I see someone sprinting, I shout at them to keep it to a brisk jog. I purposely run slower so as not to be ashamed at the convenience with which I can get things done. The fact that it drains all my energy is not good enough - everyone should just move slower.
    Originally posted by RavenHighwind

So because YOU don't like it ... you want 100s of 1000s of other players to get nerfed..

HAHAHAHAHA ... yea not happening. But nice try.

Yes I do want everyone to be nerfed. It's not going to kill them, it would just ease up the pace of the game. Is there a problem with that?

Originally posted by twrule
    People are able to run too fast in real life - it's too convenient. Everytime I see someone sprinting, I shout at them to keep it to a brisk jog. I purposely run slower so as not to be ashamed at the convenience with which I can get things done. The fact that it drains all my energy is not good enough - everyone should just move slower.

You're making a horrible argument comparing real life to video games. But if you want to be snoody and try to attack me in that manner then I'll just use some elementary reasoning skills to poke a gaping hole in your facepalm worthy response.

I don't see people sprinting from their car to get groceries. I don't see people sprinting to get into the movie theater, and I don't see people sprinting to get back into there car, unless they are being assaulted.

It was a bad satirical point to begin with, because if real life comparisons were a smart thing to make, then we'd all be complaining about how running in mmo's 100% of the time is unrealistic. But that's not the point, at all. If you don't like my opinion, tough. It's not like my opinion is wrong, so it doesn't warrant needless bashing. I made a statement on my views, and I was blunt about it because It's how I think about the the mechanic. I would like the mechanic altered so that it's not overly used. Nothing wrong with wanting that. It's not like I'm asking for every player to be forced into having a giant afro.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

I don't want so much a nerf, but a longer duration with a longer cooldown.  Having to press the sprint key so frequently is pretty annoying.

Originally posted by denshing

You're making a horrible argument comparing real life to video games. But if you want to be snoody and try to attack me in that manner then I'll just use some elementary reasoning skills to poke a gaping hole in your facepalm worthy response.

I don't see people sprinting from their car to get groceries. I don't see people sprinting to get into the movie theater, and I don't see people sprinting to get back into there car, unless they are being assaulted.

It was a bad argument to make to begin with, because if real life comparisons were a smart thing to make, then we'd all be complaining about how running in mmo's 100% of the time is unrealistic. But that's not the point, at all.

Oh brother. Lighten up, will you - I was teasing.

The fact is that you need to make a more substantial argument if you want anyone to take your proposal seriously. "It's too convenient" is not going to fly with people, because we *like* convenience (hence why people take their cars places irl instead of sprinting lol). That's what my satire was meant to help you realize.

Explain why 'convenience' is a bad thing, or use different terms, if you expect people to acknowledge your point.

• PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66
    so...don't use sprint?

I expected this response. I gave you my reasoning for using it, and I'm arguing against having it because it IS too convenient. I will use it for the convenience, that doesn't mean I like the feature as a whole. I am not going to arbitrarily scale my character against the optimal mechanics in place. I'd much rather the mechanics to be scaled instead.

Right now they encourage everyone to race around, so they do. Don't let people do that, it's that simple. Quite frankly, the mechanic is stupid. I've never seen an mmorpg that invalidated the typical running animation so much.

anyone else finding that OP is contradicting himself?

/thread

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Better get rid of mounts too.
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

So... are you going to complain about mounts being too convenient too, or is your argument that it's okay to be fast so long as it doesn't "look" like your rushing?

Confused -_-

ed:

Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Better get rid of mounts too.

damn, beat me to it

It was a bad argument to make to begin with, because if real life comparisons were a smart thing to make, then we'd all be complaining about how running in mmo's 100% of the time is unrealistic. But that's not the point, at all.

Oh brother. Lighten up, will you - I was teasing.

The fact is that you need to make a more substantial argument if you want anyone to take your proposal seriously. "It's too convenient" is not going to fly with people, because we *like* convenience (hence why people take their cars places irl instead of sprinting lol). That's what my satire was meant to help you realize.

Explain why 'convenience' is a bad thing, or use different terms, if you expect people to acknowledge your point.

The sprint mechanic is just a hair away from being a permanent running mode that completely does away with running in general. What's the point of having a regular run mechanic if every character is suddenly the most amazing triathlon runner.

Things would already be highly convenient in the game without it being able to be spammed.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Some people just look for anything to complain about...

move along folks, move along.

Originally posted by Blazeyer

Touche. But there's nothing wrong with me making this thread. Also, I'm not "some people." Address me as OP rather than skating around me indirectly.

The sprint mechanic is just a hair away from being a permanent running mode that completely does away with running in general. What's the point of having a regular run mechanic if every character is suddenly the most amazing triathlon runner.

Things would already be highly convenient in the game without it being able to be spammed.

So what? I like being able to almost-spam it. Why is the regular running animation a sacred thing? I still use it when traversing short distances, when in battle, and in between sprint cooldowns. If you don't have any better appeal to value than "we don't see the normal run animation when running non-mounted long distances outside of combat enough" then I'm afraid you're not going to convince anyone who enjoys how things already are.

• SpeakzzzSpeakzzz Member UncommonPosts: 29
    People do like convenience no matter how bad the effects may be on our health.  Case in point I would like for you to find a invention that doesn't make life easier in some way.  As humans we are striving to make life easier.  So your argument is for us to take a step back and not do what is natural? Not going to happen.
    so...don't use sprint?

anyone else finding that OP is contradicting himself?

/thread

I'm very well aware of what I wrote. Did I contradict myself? No. A person doesn't have to like something in place to make use of it. I like convenience, but I have found it overly so. Hence the thread.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Touche. But there's nothing wrong with me making this thread. Also, I'm not "some people." Address me by my username rather than skating around me indirectly.

No. The reply wasn't just to you it was to the 100's of other posts I've seen on multiple forums from people complaining about things such as "why can't I pay for legacy?" "why can't I change my chocobo color?" "why do I have to pay a sub!?" "why do I have to pay a sub :(?" (added twice because it's so f'n annoying) "Why aren't there more races?"

and so on... and so on... and by the time I finish posting this there will undoubtedly be another post somewhere of someone complaining that they want a fluffier tail for their mo'quite.

This is a reply to you denshing.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Yeah, that's right. Sprinting should be nerfed. The cooldown on sprint is so low you can sprint just a few seconds after the current sprint ends. As it was in phase 4, it was too convenient to not be sprinting in the game (all the time), and it seems to almost completely invalidate your standard running.

I sprinted, a lot. It got things done faster, but I felt like I was racing to the next objective like a marathon runner (one on performance enhancing drugs). I'd much prefer it to not be something that's overly convenient, and largely mechanic altering.

What sort of sick, weird, masochist are you?

Touche. But there's nothing wrong with me making this thread. Also, I'm not "some people." Address me by my username rather than skating around me indirectly.

No. The reply wasn't just to you it was to the 100's of other posts I've seen on multiple forums from people complaining about things such as "why can't I pay for legacy?" "why can't I change my chocobo color?" "why do I have to pay a sub!?" "why do I have to pay a sub :(?" (added twice because it's so f'n annoying) "Why aren't there more races?"

and so on... and so on... and by the time I finish posting this there will undoubtedly be another post somewhere of someone complaining that they want a fluffier tail for their mo'quite.

This is a reply to you denshing.

Awesome. Well, It's the only subjective complaint I've had about the game, and so I figured I'd put it out there. I expected to be met with mostly negative responses, as people seem to be hyper critical of anything seen as a complaint or dislike. Although I have a hard time discerning how much of it is by fanboi support, and how much of it is by people who are just fed up with seeing those sorts of topics.

This discussion has been closed.