Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Just Don't Get It... Help Me Out Here.

kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

I really don't want to slam ARR here because I've always liked FF games and I really want it to do well but let's be honest here, it doesn't seem to bring alot of new to the table.

It seems to have very pretty graphics but so do plenty of MMOs i.e. Tera.  And sure it's detailed but so are plenty of games i.e GW2.  Maybe a good story but that didn't do much for TOR.  I know it isn't the combat... I see absolutely no difference from that and a game from 2005.  Yet, Everyone that  plays it seems to really like and enjoy the game.  What's more strange is that ARR doesn't seem to have a hate following like many of it's competitors do for whatever reason.  From never playing ARR on the outside looking in I can't see what the big draw to the game is and I hope someone can explain it to me.

tldr:

What is the major draw in ARR that pulls you back enough to make it your favorite new MMO?    Is the story really that good?  Is the world really immersive?  That would make sense combined with the music I'm sure square put into the game. Maybe it just gets alot more fun later on?  What is about the game that makes it so good for you?

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
Why is it still such a big deal?

Comments

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293

Hmm.... maybe because it is so much better than the original FFIV?

I don't know if it is going to be a favorite, but they are giving me a free month to try it out.  Also the massive undertaking to completely revamp the game - I admire that they admitted they made mistakes and are attempting to fix it.

Whether they succeed or not - I don't know.  I played about 2 hours of beta 2.  Decided I was going to give it a try and then didn't play again as I want it to be fresh.  I would have probably played more if I was going to have to decide whether I wanted to buy it again (actually I  probably wouldn't have bought it again I was so disappointed with the first version - so it is a good idea that they are letting everyone that bought 1.0 try it out :) )

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by kDeviL

I really don't want to slam ARR here because I've always liked FF games and I really want it to do well but let's be honest here, it doesn't seem to bring alot of new to the table.

It seems to have very pretty graphics but so do plenty of MMOs i.e. Tera.  And sure it's detailed but so are plenty of games i.e GW2.  Maybe a good story but that didn't do much for TOR.  I know it isn't the combat... I see absolutely no difference from that and a game from 2005.  Yet, Everyone that  plays it seems to really like and enjoy the game.  What's more strange is that ARR doesn't seem to have a hate following like many of it's competitors do for whatever reason.  From never playing ARR on the outside looking in I can't see what the big draw to the game is and I hope someone can explain it to me.

tldr:

What is the major draw in ARR that pulls you back enough to make it your favorite new MMO?    Is the story really that good?  Is the world really immersive?  That would make sense combined with the music I'm sure square put into the game. Maybe it just gets alot more fun later on?  What is about the game that makes it so good for you?

Because it brings all those old aspects of traditional MMOs and puts it in a Final Fantasy skin and then polishes it to the extreme.  Not only that, but it offers what I haven't seen in an MMORPG since FFXI.  Multiple content paths that aren't always about just leveling and then raiding/grinding for gear.  There is so much "extra" and it's all done along the journey, with multitudes of goals to strive for as well as being fun and immersive.  The music, sound and graphics are top notch as is the "world" feeling.  The storyline is just awesome and paced well, much better than SWTOR with it's really odd pacing that would put me off of the story altogether.

Then you have the roles being nice and solid and every class having it's own story and feel and place in the world and this includes crafting and gathering, all on ONE character which in turn creates a better community in my opinion because people are now actually held a bit more accountable for their actions. 

So yeah, that's basically it in a nutshell.  Obviously not everyone is going to enjoy an MMORPG that doesn't innovate(although I think it does in ways that have yet to be echoed through out the genre, like the one character any class/job any time aspect and the progression systems that peel back like an onion showing multiple layers of them) but there is quite a following of those like myself itching for this type of game just brought to the modern era with all the new bells and whistles of today's computers.

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168

I'm not sure if my emotions are getting the best of me since I love Final Fantasy in general but, I love the game right now because it is so well optimized and, I feel like my attacks actually have some weight to them. Also the combat has a more strategic element to it that differs from other TT games such as combos, more damage from certain angels, GCD and the limit break system all add to the combat as well.

I also love the class/job system where I can switch whenever I feel the urge to play a different style instead of having to remake a character..not to mention the crafting is worlds better than most MMOs.

I could go on all day about what I like but all this could not mean anything to you so it's best to just try it out if you have the money of course.

edit: The story is also a major draw for me, its very compelling.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Honestly, the only reason I am even giving FF a chance this time is the supposed launch of RvRvR PvP later. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657017

Check that page out.  If that doesn't make one want to play FFXIV, then I don't know what will. 

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

One Word: Yoshi

I've never played a game he was in on that I didn't like :)

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

I don't understand why gamers decided that a game had to bring something new to the table.  I don't mean this in a bad way.  New is good and we should always be innovating but you don't always have to throw the baby out with the bathwater to improve things.  That's the thing FFXIV has done for me and why I will play it.  Instead of choosing one gimick that is "new" and will focusing on this to the detriment of the rest of the game as some games have done (then shout about how they're new an innovative). FFXIV decided to take features that some gamers like and polish or tweak it to fit in their world.  There is so much do in this game and no one way to go about doing them.  Eorzea fills like a world to inhabit instead of just a place I visit for a few hours.

FFXIV:ARR has become the game I was hoping 1.0 was going to be! :D I'm super excited and can't wait for release!  

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

tldr:

2 games follow the same basic format for a theme park.
     One developer wants to capitalize on another game's player base in order to make money quickly. Game is half finished and is released too soon.

Game 2 is designed for the players with the intention to make a real MMORPG with a soul to keep the players going for a long time. It's released when it's ready (For real this time)

Does it really need to offer something new? or can it just offer a solid MMO experience?

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174

Biggest thing for me is it's not trying to be some innovative, genre-redefining game. It's just trying to be a good old school style MMORPG which seems to be a rather big appeal to a lot of people who are probably sick of all these shallow action RPGs with people rolling around everywhere (Tera, GW2). FFXIV ARR has heart and soul.

It also helps that it is very well polished, has an interesting story,  and has tons of things to do other than level, PvP, or raid.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422

I am giving this game a chance for 2 reasons:

1: FFXI was and is a very fun game and doesn't hold your hand. Same can be said about all previous non mmo ff titles.  FF titles are in my eyes just as much a game as it is art and a story.

2: Square Enix admitted it made a mistake and corrected it in my opinion, unlike other publishers weve seen that will go unnamed that don't care about the customers and will release an awful title take your money and be done with it.  If im going to pledge a monthly sub to a company id rather pledge it to one that makes quality games.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I wish you the best in finding a title you like.  As you said nothing will please everyone.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by elocke

**snipped for length**

Because it brings all those old aspects of traditional MMOs and puts it in a Final Fantasy skin and then polishes it to the extreme.  Not only that, but it offers what I haven't seen in an MMORPG since FFXI.  Multiple content paths that aren't always about just leveling and then raiding/grinding for gear.  There is so much "extra" and it's all done along the journey, with multitudes of goals to strive for as well as being fun and immersive.  The music, sound and graphics are top notch as is the "world" feeling.  The storyline is just awesome and paced well, much better than SWTOR with it's really odd pacing that would put me off of the story altogether.

Then you have the roles being nice and solid and every class having it's own story and feel and place in the world and this includes crafting and gathering, all on ONE character which in turn creates a better community in my opinion because people are now actually held a bit more accountable for their actions. 

So yeah, that's basically it in a nutshell.  Obviously not everyone is going to enjoy an MMORPG that doesn't innovate(although I think it does in ways that have yet to be echoed through out the genre, like the one character any class/job any time aspect and the progression systems that peel back like an onion showing multiple layers of them) but there is quite a following of those like myself itching for this type of game just brought to the modern era with all the new bells and whistles of today's computers.

This is not the first time I've seen this explanation presented, but it honestly doesn't make any sense. And I've been playing FFXIV since closed beta, and played the original launch as well.

- Multiple content paths that aren't just about lvling & gear. Like what? There are multiple content paths, but this entire game is oriented around lvls & gear. It's your typical vertically progressing gear-grinder.

- Old school feel. Really? Because as someone who started on MMOs like UO and EQ, I don't see much oldschool at all in FFXIV. It's not 'oldschool' enough to be considered new or refreshing. It's about oldschool as SWTOR is, tbh. It has very few features one would recognize from an older game, it has modernized combat (if still tab-target based), dynamic events, dungeon lobbying, etc. None of those things are old school. Polished? Definitely, but not old school.

Perhaps the most believable explanation I've heard for this game, so far, is that people enjoy it's simplicity, and it's aesthetics. There's no denying that FF tends to not disappoint when it comes to graphics. Something most people tend to jump on, when it comes to new games. It's new, it's shiny, people want it.

Essentially, it's the only game right now that isn't really trying to do anything different. It's perfectly status-quo when it comes to themepark MMOs. And I suppose, in a way, that makes sense to get excited about.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

I'm usually the person to give a long-winded explanation here, but after doing it many times in many threads on this site, I'm just going to say:

Play it. If you aren't sucked in, you are either overanalyzing things or the game is not for you. Plain and simple. Everyone who has played the game and is excited for it intuitively knows why they are, and trying to dissect it into game mechanics always falls short of capturing what really excites those people.

If you absolutely won't accept such an answer (which is perfectly valid in my view)...

-The Community

-Solid/polished mechanics

-It's Final Fantasy.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

i can do lots of things that are fun and progress my character, while not feeling pressured about it. most other games i feel like its just a massive rush to endgame then thats it. i feel like in this game i can take my time and not feel penailized about it. if i decide to do change class or do some sort of crafting or gathering instead, its OK because its all still on the same character and leveling other classes actually helps out your primary class by granting access to new skills. plus the community is so nice and the game is so immersive that i dont have to rush to endgame since i am already having fun right now.

also looking forward to housing and other stuff.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

The biggest reason I like it is that it let's you play the game however you want without punishing you. Want to do a bunch of quests, go for it. Feel like just being lazy and killing mobs, go ahead and watch your level go up just as fast. Want to only dungeon run, yup, you can do that too. Did you like the dynamic events in GW2, those are here for your leveling purposes as well.

Of course we all know the real reason though...

Chocobos

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Theres just a mix of all the elements it has. The class system, while not as great as FFXI is still drawing and entertaining to me. The graphics, the animation, the story. It just seems to mix in so many elements in just the right way that it appeals to me. Personally jumping in a dungeon and seeing that crowd control was useful, even in a low level dungeon made me oogle at how relightful it was as simple as it is and how it can be trivialized I'm sure easily.

Its one of those games that, while I don't think its the best thing out there, it just has that attraction to me, perhaps a guilty pleasure from. It knows it doesn't have to do stuff new to be good, it keeps things very old school in style. I think its learning to take old with new, something games like GW2 I feel suffers greatly for (aka its very lack luster combat and very reparative feeling heart quests) or SWTOR trying for that story focus and not doing it right. I think its how it uses moderation in which it gives those elements in gentle doses that it doesn't overwhelm or even stand out like a sore thumb and can be enjoyed because of it.

That is not to say of course that a new game can't work with new mechanics and sell them well. Games like Tera did an amazing job at introducing a great new combat system into the MMO market place (even if many other areas of it were 'meh') or heck take a look at the Dungeon Crawl scene with path of Exile which ended up scrapping the system everyone knows and loves and changing how the 'leveling' works with the passive grid and skill gem combinations.

In short: I feel that its attempt to very gently bridge the gap and mix elements in that are new rather then revamp everything helps to give that draw in that doesn't alienate people, while also helping to maintain solid mechanics behind it. I'll admit i don't think its a top game (at least looking at it objectively, on here considering what the 'top' games are, it probably would be since those scores are quite terribly wrong if looking at each of the games critically) but one I find great enjoyment from.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

hehe I feel like this question gets raised every other day around here ;p

All of the various game systems in FFXIV are robust. There are no afterthoughts in this game. That in and of itself makes it unique and dare I say innovative. It makes me want to play it!

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Just pay the 30 bucks and try it.  It has a good storyline, music, lore, graphics, combat (2.5 GCD and tab targeting), cool classes, crafting, and good group dynamics.  You wanna know what makes it special?  All of the above mentioned things being high quality and fun. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    they never said this was going to be some groundbreaking mmo, they said it would be calssic style. I like . live ff series and im excited like a lot of people are
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by aesperus

**snipped for length**

This is not the first time I've seen this explanation presented, but it honestly doesn't make any sense. And I've been playing FFXIV since closed beta, and played the original launch as well.

- Multiple content paths that aren't just about lvling & gear. Like what? There are multiple content paths, but this entire game is oriented around lvls & gear. It's your typical vertically progressing gear-grinder.

- Old school feel. Really? Because as someone who started on MMOs like UO and EQ, I don't see much oldschool at all in FFXIV. It's not 'oldschool' enough to be considered new or refreshing. It's about oldschool as SWTOR is, tbh. It has very few features one would recognize from an older game, it has modernized combat (if still tab-target based), dynamic events, dungeon lobbying, etc. None of those things are old school. Polished? Definitely, but not old school.

Perhaps the most believable explanation I've heard for this game, so far, is that people enjoy it's simplicity, and it's aesthetics. There's no denying that FF tends to not disappoint when it comes to graphics. Something most people tend to jump on, when it comes to new games. It's new, it's shiny, people want it.

Essentially, it's the only game right now that isn't really trying to do anything different. It's perfectly status-quo when it comes to themepark MMOs. And I suppose, in a way, that makes sense to get excited about.

Housing, chocobo breeding and an in-depth crafting system are all alternative progression systems beyond combat and gearing. Expect more in the future as well.

Honestly the housing alone is a throwback to more oldschool MMOs simply because the genre has tried to kill the feature for years now. Mob grinding is also a viable leveling method where most recent MMOs have done their utmost to gut that in favour of quests. Personally I would use the term 'traditional' rather than oldschool though. There is a huge audience for a traditional MMO right now in a sea of nothing but shallow action-MMOs.

Ironically, whilst the graphics are nice, they don't have much impact on my opinion of the game. My personal biggest draw is the 'all classes on one character' thing. I still don't get why more MMOs don't adopt it... it encourages players to play everything the game has to offer and effectively multiplies the level cap by the number of classes available. It also solves the dilemma of which character to focus on and makes it much easier to socialise and be recognised by players you've met before. It was amazing in XI and it'll be amazing for XIV.

When Blizzard released WoW they didn't really do anything new... they just polished all the popular features and mechanics of the genre to a point where they made a fantastic package. The way I see it SquareEnix is doing the same in their own way. I don't expect the game to be as successful as WoW (I believe Yoshi's goal is about 400k subscribers) but there is no doubt in my mind that they have achieved the same thing in terms of polish.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

I think how they have handled character progression in terms of leveling multiple classes and cross-class skills is actually pretty innovative.   I have not played any other MMO that does this, much less does it well.   As a registered alt-oholic in every MMO I have ever played this feature alone makes this game a win for me.

Beyond that, the game just does what it does very well.  Yes, outside of what I mentioned above, there is not much "new" here, but for those of us who actually LIKE the old way of doing things and also LIKE final fantasy, ARR melds the two really well.

I very much enjoy standard MMO tropes, what has prevented me from sticking with other MMOs in recent years is addressed here.

I quit EQ waaay back, simply because the game was getting old and dated.  Otherwise I would have kept playing it.   I played it for many, many years.

I quit WoW a few years ago after playing it for many years, not because I didn't find the game fun anymore but because my main focus in WoW was raiding and they made raiding "too easy".  It bored me once they made it so easily accessible.  But even then, I likely would have kept playing it IF there was a way for me to queue for hard-mode dungeon runs on my max-level character while leveling a low level alt.   This is simply not an option though.  In WoW you have to stay on the character you are working on while waiting.  Too boring, game over, I quit.   FFXIV ARR addresses this problem very nicely.

Other than the two above games, I have not played any other MMO for an extended period.  None of them felt that much different than WoW and pretty much all of them came with the same "issues" I listed for WoW so I did not see any point.

ARR addresses what few issues I had with the other MMOs while still keeping all of the things I enjoy.   And it doesn't have a cash shop (I HATE cash shops).   Looking very forward to playing it long term.

Originally posted by aesperus

**snipped for length**

Ok, perhaps I hyperbolized the leveling and gear part, as that is very much a part of the game.  But it's not the ONLY thing.  You have so much gated content, which I like, behind the leveling instead of just getting gear to fight the big bad boss.  From the chocobo mount to getting one as a companion later, to housing and all that entail to the guild hests and guild leves as well as side quests and various mobs.  I can level to 50 and not feel wierd switching to a new class and leveling that up for a different experience to cap.  Let's see, after playing FFXI I'm sure this game will add similar or newer game systems like  Behest and those other odd named events I can't remember where you had to escort an npc as a raid through a monster filled dungeon for various rewards.  Those have nothing to do with "leveling" and are side activities that are different and fun.  And that's just one or 2 examples from a game that is 11 years old and has a ton more things to do along the same lines of that side activity.

Now, you are complaining about Old school, to you it's not, but to me it is.  I started playing with SWG and then FFXI and it feels like FFXI to me, just with today's modern conviences and more intuitive and flowing combat and movement.  It doesn't need to look 8 bit or play like UO/EQ(games I can't stand control/graphic wise by the way) to feel oldschool.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    If you played 1.0 and then played 2.0 or ARR then you'll understand the difference. It's not always about graphics, which you irrated. And of course the story in 2,0 takes place after 1.0.
  • GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

It offers the promise of new (and hopefully at least somewhat challenging) group content to conquer, and unlike GW2 it does so while giving you a reason to continue doing it once you've capped out in levels ... because harder stuff, requiring the skill, gear, and teamwork one acquires/develops in earlier content, is coming.

Now, whether it can actually deliver on that promise, we'll find out in a month or two.  Plenty of games offer the same thing and fail at it.  In that sesnse FFXIV:ARR just happens to be the next opportunity for the industry to get it right at a time when other games have been moving away from trying at all.

In addition to progression content, however, it also offers other areas of focus.  We don't know how robust the PvP play will really be, but the crafting, exploration, and story experiences are well-developed and there's a certain "gotta catch 'em all" mentality build into the game as well (not regarding pets of any kind, but in the sense that the came has several features that appeal to the obsessive completionist). 

The game also embraces it's Final Fantasy roots, which can be a big draw to people who have enjoyed the franchise (of which there are many).

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

polish

/thread

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?