Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
I've "tried" this over a dozen times expecting to get something out of it each time. I'm completely confused by it and have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I get that its a sandbox, but I'm not finding fun in just walking around. I've read about building stuff, and what not but I'm just totally not understand what I'm supposed to be doing.. especially as someone new?

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

Like you I have tried this game several times in the past, which had never took.  This is a sandbox game, so for a new person there is a very strong lack of direction, goals, purpose which we have been programed to expect in MMO's.  And there is a bit of a learning curve regarding controls and inventory and such.  But that is what a sandbox game is.  If you are looking for a quest hub or action packed combat this is probably not for you.  That being said, it has all the freedoms of a sanbox game.  You can be anyone, do anything with anyone you want pretty much.

Now I am new just decided to give it another try since I have no MMO to play at the moment and felt that itch.  So what I have done as a new person to SL.  Start by clicking yoru destinations and click newcomer friendly area, there are several there that will help you learn the controls (camera angles and such).  Then there are some free places where you can get bodies, clothes, hair, and so on.  After learning the basic controls (which is not very difficult for a MMO gamer) and getting dressed, explore a bit.  Check out the editors choices or whats hot or events.

If you are an explorer type like myself this really satisfies that interest.  If you are a roleplayer this is a great place for that, the roleplay community still seems very active.  If you are a socializer again a great place, a lot of areas boil down to chat rooms with avatars.  And I think its worth keeping on your computer just to fill those itches when you have them.

I have been able to enjoy a fancy Jazz club with my wife (while chatting in real life), then go dance our hearts out at a techno club  inside of a sun (where about 5 people joined us like a "Step up' movie) , then go explore a couple of sureal art instilations.  Wasn't bad for a tuesday night date kind of thing, and it sure beat grinding on some mobs or something in another MMO.

That being said there are several downsides to this game.  Firstly the world is extremely large and that can be overwhelming to people who are new (its also a plus the large world).  Next, a lot of the areas can be empty.  The game is not new and it shows with some places being abandoned.  But I will say in hot spots on a busy time it is not uncommon to see 50-75 avatars in the same place, so though it is empty I run into more people then say in GW2 or EQ2 (no this is not a bash on those games).  And lastly it does sometimes have a junior high school prom feel.  What I mean is that there are several places where there is just many people standing around in silence not really interacting.  This is common with a lot of chat rooms from my experience, so if you want to make friends you really have to take the initiative most time, which can be hard as a new person as well.  Most talk seems to happen in private messages so places can seem silent.

Overall the community though has been friendly and especially helpful for a new person with several going out of their way to teach me things or give me items/skins.  Much of the players do seem to be European, there are a good mix of men and women (just some observations).

So after you learn how to control things and explore a bit, think of things you are interested in (anime, games, fantasy, vampires, adult stuff, fetishes, whatever) search out that stuff and just push yourself in, you'll be glad you did.

PS - Im sorry this is so long, thanks for reading it all (or most). :P

• AlterkAlterk Member Posts: 5

It appears that you're both victims of the new Linden Labs management's decisions about how to treat new people in Second Life.   I've been in SL almost daily since 2006.  I own an island that pays for itself with a little left over for RL spending money.   Referring to the current management as new means they were hired about 2010. 

When I started we had "orientation" areas.  The exact nature of that area depended on where it was and who was sponsoring it, but basically they all did the same thing -- taught people how to use Second Life.    Generally you were fed to Hub areas and sandboxes.  These areas had mentors, some paid, some volunteer.   A lot of people would get bored and teleport out to stores and freebie markets, but at least they had some idea what to do by then.

That all began to end in 2010.   LL tried several things, including putting people in the middle of this silly crystal-gathering game they invented.  By the middle of 2012 the process was complete.  You come in completely mystified and without direction.   Those who notice the Destinations system and are astute enough to choose the beginners areas generally end up staying long enough to start making a life for themselves, especially if they start making friends.   I'm afraid most people, especially males go haring off to the Adult areas or simply quit.   My then-partner Cindy had come into SL in 2010 just as LL was shoving everybody into the Adult areas, god knows why.   We got to talking about that late in 2011 so we each made 3 alts and tried to make friends, roleplaying as newbies.   Firstly it was nearly impossible in the first input island before you go through the portals.   There are all these ghosts and new avatars milling around.    When you try to talk to them, they don't know how to reply.   The whole experiment went downhill from there.   It was a fun thing for us to do as a couple but pretty much a failure as a social experiment.   One problem was we only had a few hours in the weekday morning to do this.

One thing that should be noted briefly is that the current Linden Labs management are all gaming industry veterans.    I'm reasonably certain that most people who have been in SL for a few years will tell you that it's not a game at all.    It has games within it, but in itself, it's less a game than social environment.   I feel a rant coming on so I'll stop it right here.  lol

So, yes you should try again.   One thing to try is finding Help Island Public.  I'm not sure, but they may be putting a landmark for that in your Library under the  Landmarks folder.   White Tiger is good.  They generally have mentors working there.   Builders Brewery has a little-known orientation area.   I don't know why they don't advertise it better.    You should join Builders Brewery and NCI anyway.   NCI is short for New Citizens Incorporated but searching for NCI will find it.  NCI Kuula always has people willing to help as well as a nice stock of freebies.   Look for Happy Hippo, too.    

Oh and bring your best gaming hardware.   I know people who use $500 Walmart specials, but they're generally not entirely happy.   You can make them work, though.   The Firestorm viewer people are especially good at helping you tweak things if you're having trouble.

Have fun, and remember, RL comes first.  :)

AB

• FoxyfluffFoxyfluff Member CommonPosts: 31
    Yeah, i remember that when i first joined SL, i started at that orientation island castle that gave a walkthrough on everything. But what i'm hearing from many new people is that they're thrown into the world and given a path with doors and  no walkthrough. I wonder if the Lindens are purposely trying to destroy SL by doing that. I met many newbies at newbie friendly places who comment on being lost.