Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class roles, raids, thousands and thousands of orcs in Crushbone, and possible PVP in Landmark

ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

A very good David Georgeson interview has been put up.

Some of the information from the interview:

David confirmed again that combat is MOBA inspired.

He also said that roles still exist in the game, but every situation will need different kinds of roles. You are going to want people that can stand in front of the group and shield them from damage as well as players that will play support such as buffing, healing or even get others out of harms way.

There will be gigantic challenges in EQN, but not structured raid content like found in other games. There will be powerful mobs in the world and players will have to decide and figure out how many players they need to bring them down. The raid mobs are also not static. If players brings down a green dragon in a room, it won't be there for someone else.

He said that the content doesn't just consist of large mobs, but places like Crushbone that will have thousands and thousands of orcs in it.

On the topic of Landmark, he said no one will be able to destroy another player's creation unless he is given permission. He said that the potential for the future in Landmark as they bring in stuff from EQN such as PVP will be players being able to create their own PVP in Landmark.

Comments

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

He also said that roles still exist in the game, but every situation will need different kinds of roles. You are going to want people that can stand in front of the group and shield them from damage as well as players that will play support such as buffing, healing or even get others out of harms way.

There will be gigantic challenges in EQN, but not structured raid content like found in other games. There will be powerful mobs in the world and players will have to decide and figure out how many players they need to bring them down. The raid mobs are also not static. If players brings down a green dragon in a room, it won't be there for someone else.

He said that the content doesn't just consist of large mobs, but places like Crushbone that will have thousands and thousands of orcs in it.

On the topic of Landmark, he said no one will be able to destroy another player's creation unless he is given permission. He said that the potential for the future in Landmark as they bring in stuff from EQN such as PVP will be players being able to create their own PVP in Landmark.

Great info thanks for posting.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    ugh. Where combat is concerned MMO players have been thrown under the bus to attract the MOBA crowd. He says it in the interview. Money-wise this makes sense, but it's a dick move to be honest.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

trains of a few dozen orcs used to wipe everyone in crushbone out, thousands and thousands of orcs?  lol you have no idea how bad itll be....

TRAIN TO ZONE RUN FOR YOUR LIVES 20 ORCS COMIN AND D'VINN! -old shout macro

THOUSANDS OF ORCS HEADIN FOR THE ZONE LINE YOURE ALREADY DEAD HAHAHAHAHA - new macro

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    What I thought was interesting was the comment made about trustees on the land and basically having coops.  Only players that are trustees or  owners can destroy the building unless you are part of a coop.  This kind of suggests that if someone gets pist off at someone in the coop they can go to war and attack this area.  Sounds like an invitation for for open world pvp that is limited to your ability to allow ppl into your coop or ownership.  It will be interesting to see more details on this and how to get land and share it. 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    ugh. Where combat is concerned MMO players have been thrown under the bus to attract the MOBA crowd. He says it in the interview. Money-wise this makes sense, but it's a dick move to be honest.

To be fair the combat once we see it, better yet play it, may be very fun and engaging.  I've been playing 30+ hotkey tab target MMOs for 10 years and welcome something different that could be enjoyable.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Does David actually believe the stuff he's spewing?  He's drinking his own Kool Aid.. lol   SOE only believes they are making a game that "everyone" wants to play..  They are either blinded by lust for their own game, or just outright lying..
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Sounds like great stuff. Just not sure about the MOBA combat since I never played one.
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Speak for yourself.

I know many "mmo players" that have gotten sick and tired of the tab-target /hotkey rotation combat, we've had over a decade of that stuff and it's worn out its welcome.

Also find it funny in your signature, moba = mandatory one button action, pray tell how's that different from a hotkey system? You press you rhotkey, you do an action.

The main advantage moba's have is their combat is extremely reactive and focuses more on things like cc/smart use of tactical skills in relation to your environment and the combat situation rather then the combat becoming super repetitive and mostly going through set rotations of skills.

Moba's with just 4 skills have offered me a lot more fun/enjoyment from a combat perspective then many mmo's I've played over the years with 30+ skills.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Yes another GW2 clone !
    Great game for an hour then you just cant stand it anymore.

EQN will be no diffrent from the looks of it.
    Hope the next mmo doesnt have this shit.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There was some good questions but some of the most important are never asked,like limitations.They talk a lot about building,but we all know your not going to have unlimited building space or options.

Raid content ,i don't like at all.I have my reason.If there is an area such as Crushbone ,he says thousands of Orcs,why do you need a raid,why couldn't a few players go in and slowly dwindle away the Orcs?It sounds to me like the combat i never liked in either EQ game and that was where you get an entire area all on the exact same AI pathing that all come at you at once,it looked very unrealistic.

What i am getting at ,is if everything links together,and you need Raid size group,that gets real messy and unorganized,no way can you organize a tank to handle 50 Orcs coming at you at once.I prefer content that actually gives you CHOICE as he likes to keep mentioning.Meaning if there are 1000 Orcs,a larger team could do it faster but it would not stop a smaller team from doing the content,it would just take them longer.That is the way you create content that never alienates players from doing all the content.

Now what i do accept and like,is if they create a World boss but NOT limited to a dungeon or any kind of instance,but out in the open world so EVERYONE can interact and play it as a true MMO world.In other words ,i am NOT a fan of any kind of instance gaming.

The "Wireframe" part kind of baffled me,not sure why you can't save a "file" or MESH as i like to call it and import into the game when goes live.He made it sound like all you get is a save file for the AREA and you have to actually rebuild into that area.Example i can build something in a totally different program and import it into the Unreal engine as long as the file format works of course.Then once the base LOD form is loaded you can use EQN textures to color it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• trinixtrinix Member UncommonPosts: 51

Let's start by saying not everyone is looking for the same game and that's fine. Yes there are f2p games out there, that offer tab targetting, but there are also f2p games out there that provide MARPG (multiplayer Action RPG) so yes. It's up to the devs to decide what they want, players will either like it or leave it, like it has always been. I prefer tab targetting and going for a more strategic gameplay rather than an action/tactical gameplay, but I will try this.

As for smart AI systems, we don't know yet. They are indeed trying to sell it good. Will it work out right, will it keep working right, who knows. We have to wait and see. Will they be smarter, maybe.

The raid, well don't forget the respawns. They could spawn so fast that a normal group would never be able to reach the throne room. You'd fight your way through some of the mobs and try to maneaver to a safer spot, try to get a few bosses and your done. You've achieved something.

And why do you need 1 tank to tank 50 mobs. Why not have a raid with 4-10 tanks, each fighting their own group of mobs, groups focussed on their mobs, while other groups are doing their thing, a group who assists where they are being overrun. Man the best raid has to be the ringwars with Giants and Dwarves just attacking each other and stuff. Well this will be something like that.

It sounds to me that EQN will require a lot of out of the box thinking. I like it. I don't like classes, roles and the action based system yet, but as we get more info it might turn out better than expected. I hope it won't be another GW2. Other than that, I'll just wait and see.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

I thought they said repeatedly that there won't be a holy trinity that the fans have constantly berated and praised.  Sounds very tank/dps/healer structured to me. 

Am dubious on the who thousands of Orcs thing though.  Sounds nice but show me it instead of talkng bout it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by furbans

I thought they said repeatedly that there won't be a holy trinity that the fans have constantly berated and praised.  Sounds very tank/dps/healer structured to me. 

SOE said there would not be any dedicated class roles

SOE also said there is no taunt

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Yes another GW2 clone !

The only thing these two games have in common is they are both action combat, and EQ Next is making theirs more like Neverwinter.

• BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98

I wouldn't say he gave a confirmation of MOBA inspired combat in this interview. He wasn't even describing the combat when he mentions MOBA. The question was asked, "What is your target market and how do they interact?" In regard to the numerous game styles offered in EQN, Georgeson responded in part, "...what we are doing with the classes is actually kind of similar to the way that classes are handled in MOBA games." He makes the connection to MOBA players in describing how they will recognize the similarity to classes; in hopes that this will be a factor in attracting them to EQN.

edit: (...starting at about 2:18 of the interview)

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Can't wait to see some big battles. Grown so tired of farming raid content.

Hopefully places like Crushbone are always changing and you can't YouTube a how to.

Would be fun to roll in with a group or two and the faster you kill the grunts the more "boss" types pop out. So you have to be careful or you'll pull more then you can handle, can't just leeroy the place.

Have to have a good mix of builds to deal with multiple types of encounters.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Interviewer:

To the people that are talking about specialization vs utility:  If everyone can be a healer, if everyone can be a warrior, how do I make my real niche and stand out?

Georgeson:

So, um-

um--

[pause]

We'd -

We're not getting rid of the old roles

[pause]

um --

there are still

--uhb--

[sigh]

[pause]

-- how to put this.  

Every situation is going to need different kinds of roles to participate in it.  

You are going to want people that caaan

[pause]  

stand in front of

--uh

[pause]

in -

uh-

stand in fr--

in-

stand in front of the group and shield them against damage.  

You're gonna want to find people that are willing to support other people by

-- uhm

--iee

-uhhya-  

throwing up buffs on them or being able to

uh--

eh-- or by

uh-- 

occasionally heal and do different things...

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by furbans

Am dubious on the who thousands of Orcs thing though.  Sounds nice but show me it instead of talkng bout it.

Pritty sure they said there wont be a triunty as you know it or somthing like that, in other words u wont be taunting a mob making it a tank and spank, ur tank now need 2 either stop dmg happening on other players by interupts and stuff or moving infront of AoE and stuff i noticed the fight with the earth elemental video the warrior got infront of a aoe aimed at the mage and only the warrior took the hit and mage seemed unharmed. Seems like it will be much more engaging combat.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Well, MOBAs sort of have tanks of sorts, sort of, so maybe that's what they mean. :P

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• arcatomarcatom Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by Wizardry

What i am getting at ,is if everything links together,and you need Raid size group,that gets real messy and unorganized,no way can you organize a tank to handle 50 Orcs coming at you at once.I prefer content that actually gives you CHOICE as he likes to keep mentioning. Meaning if there are 1000 Orcs,a larger team could do it faster but it would not stop a smaller team from doing the content,it would just take them longer.That is the way you create content that never alienates players from doing all the content.

I think with the way they are building the world and how dynamic it will be, there won't be any lack of content for people with a smaller team to take on. Personally I find it cool that there will be places that will be very challenging without a group.

These types of things help create a better community IMO. If you can just roll through any content the excitement of doing things as a group lessens. Having elements of danger makes for a more interesting world. If the world feels bigger than you, it brings a sense of wonder and intrigue, which I feel is missing in today's MMOs.

As long as there is always something for smaller teams to do then I am all for having dangerous areas for a good sized group can take on. Why should 2 or 3 people be be able to take on a whole Orc city? Be kinda lame to me.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

The two first EQ, but also WoW, Rift, LotRO and many more all have traditional MMO combat. You can still play those, most for free. It's not a "dick move" to not want to make all games the same.

They're making it the same as the other MOBAs. And while I don't find traditional tab target fun, I also don't like 3 buttons and a thumb up the butt either.

The EQ fans didn't get much out of this game, thus the comment.

Originally posted by Mothanos

Yes another GW2 clone !

A little picture of the people who actually can stand it... taken on an EU server in the middle of the day during work hours.

I think the rumors of people not able to "take GW2 anymore" is highly exagerated... ;-)

I was on last night and a guildy was complaining that there are never enough people on to fight Dragons any more. Anecdotal.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

They're making it the same as the other MOBAs. And while I don't find traditional tab target fun, I also don't like 3 buttons and a thumb up the butt either.

player roles may share similarities w MOBAs

but 8 skill "active" hotbars existed in older mmos too 

(example:  8 spell slots that EQ1 casters had for the first 4 years)

GW1 was not a traditional mmo and was limited to 8 active skill slots

but GW1 PVE had more in common w mmos than MOBAs

I'm hoping EQN offers the group dynamics of GW1  (not GW2)  but it's a big unknown

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

The two first EQ, but also WoW, Rift, LotRO and many more all have traditional MMO combat. You can still play those, most for free. It's not a "dick move" to not want to make all games the same.

EQ fans still have EQ, with a new XPac in beta right now. This is a new game. This is a different game, set in a different Norrath. If you want EQ, you can play EQ. There are plenty of games that offer what you are looking for. There is nothing this game has in common with MOBAs outside of possible group role playstyles

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

Originally posted by Tygranir

EQ fans still have EQ, with a new XPac in beta right now. This is a new game. This is a different game, set in a different Norrath. If you want EQ, you can play EQ. There are plenty of games that offer what you are looking for. There is nothing this game has in common with MOBAs outside of possible group role playstyles

And the small number of buttons on the bar. And the fact that combat was designed to appeal to them and draw that "huge" audience in to the game per the interview.

But if you are right, the MOBA crowd won't be interested anyway, so the whole thing was not successful at what they wanted.