Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Subscription Model Announced

Comments

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by NBlitz

i don't have a problem with subscription models aside from the entry and re-entry!

Lower/remove the threshold of joining the game for the first time (trial with many features turned off?). 

Lower/remove the threshold of trying out the game again once you've left for a time. You want to see what's up since you left? Suuure, come on in. You can sub when you're ready to come back in earnest.

It was a rare sub based MMO in the past that didn't have free weekend trials for returning consumers, in fact, SOE is famous for it with EQ and most if not all of their other games.  Initial costs, such as the box price is important to the success of the game and therefore important to its ongoing health and expansion.

Agreed. I believe WoW had buddy keys from vanilla, aye? Correct me if I'm wrong.

• nanoentitynanoentity Member Posts: 8

KEY WORD!

"changes to which we just were not ready"

Which means the game will go Free 2 Play like the others at the later date...

Skyrim is only successful becouse of the 9,000,000,000,000 MODS there are for the game.

Skyrim Online (AKA 

Elder Scrolls Online)

will have 0 MODS...

Signature...

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by nanoentity

KEY WORD!

Yep. The long development cycle of MMOs ensured that ESO was married to the past revenue model.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Drakephire

KEY WORD!

Yep. The long development cycle of MMOs ensured that ESO was married to the past revenue model.

Or it could be that the devs, perish the thought, actually thought that the sub based model was a better one to work with given the challenges they had. Which one of us is right and which one of us is wrong won't be known for a long time, if ever, but this assumption that its doomed to fail just because of the payment model is a, quite frankly, rather silly.

• QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by McSire
    I find it hilarious how some people cant find the will to put 15$ or w/e towards a game monthly. Like seriously? 15$ for hours and hours of entertainment? That's a good deal. Heck, some people spend 12$ to watch ONE movie where I live, it's sad.

It's not about being cheap or whatnot, at least not for me. I can easily afford 100 subs every month if I wanted, that's not the point. My point is, is that mediocre games, like ESO (I've seen gameplay), do not deserve to have a monthly sub. All these companies are trying too damn hard to be like WoW and achieve what WoW achieved, which is not going to happen. WoW was a good game for its time, and was worth the sub. WoW is still a sub-based game, but the game is slowly losing its quality. Now, these P2P games coming out, are not as good as WoW is currently, and WoW is NOT good right now! Why should we pay a sub for these other games, when we have WoW, and have invested years into our WoW characters?

IMO, this game will go F2P within a year.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Razeekster
    I am so happy to hear this. I am getting so sick and tired of nickel and dime cash shops. Guess what this means? NO HAVING TO PAY FOR EXTRA BAG SPACE OR FOR EXTRA HOTBARS (looking at you SWTOR)!  

There will probably be a cash shop too.

what he says during the interview makes it sound like there wont be one.  read it.

Why on earth would they not only ignore a large potion of the MMO audience (both sub and f2p fans) and leave money on the table like that?  Will it be a full on shopping mall? I doubt it. However, you will not see an MMO release as a subscription model without further monetized content. It's simple logic that if data shows you can get more than the sub price of cash from a consumer and raising the sub price isn't an option then they'll build some other way to do it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by sunshadow21
    Originally posted by Drakephire Originally posted by nanoentity KEY WORD! "changes to which we just were not ready" Which means the game will go Free 2 Play like the others at the later date...
    Or it could be that the devs, perish the thought, actually thought that the sub based model was a better one to work with given the challenges they had. Which one of us is right and which one of us is wrong won't be known for a long time, if ever, but this assumption that its doomed to fail just because of the payment model is a, quite frankly, rather silly.

It's not doomed to fail, but it will start with a huge number of initial purchases, with a very steep drop off in subscriptions and players. If it's truly like playing the Elder Scrolls games, that steep drop off may not happen nearly as quickly as other MMORPGs, but it will happen. Eventually the game will go F2P, because the alternative will be shutting the game down.

None of this means the game will be a failure. That's just how MMORPGs work. They will probably make bucket loads of money and will probably make additional games because of the revenue generated by ESO. It will probably be successful.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• shadowplaugeshadowplauge Member UncommonPosts: 11

i kinda figured it was going p2p which im okay with as long as they have time cards ill play  .  im just hoping that eso isnt the end of the single player console rpg i love so much. i would have prefered b2p  simply becouse it feels like i am not tied to the game and that if i dont play at least 30 hours a week every week that im wasting money .

as for the f2p its good for those who are tapped out each month due to bills car notes and food were not free loaders were just not rich .  just hope the game i worht the sub as it appears right now its worth maybe a 10 dollar sub not a dime more .

i am the immortal who will find perfect utopia at all cost .

KEY WORD!

Never said it was doomed to fail because of the payment model. It is doomed to fail for other reasons, but payment method isn't the most pressing...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

KEY WORD!

Skyrim is only successful becouse of the 9,000,000,000,000 MODS there are for the game.

Skyrim Online (AKA 

Elder Scrolls Online)

will have 0 MODS...

I think there's merit in your first statement and your second statement shows that you are just saying things.

Not only do the console sales outmatch the pc sales by a significant portion but if you look at the mod downloads that are, available, very very rarely,do these downloads get into thousands. The most popular downloads, on skyrimnexus, not including their mod manager, "might" break into 1,000 plus and I did see a mod that had 3,000 plus.

that's hardly a dent into the 10 million + sales that the game has sold.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • strellokstrellok Member Posts: 48

P2p is the future, I believe that.

But who honestly thinks TESO is worth the sub is completely stupid and regular sheep. Use brain and think about it. Its the IP and marketing that makes you think this will be worth paying for. Wildstar might, not this game. 

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

WOOT!

Now if only Trion will give ArcheAge a sub model, all will be right in the world.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Superb!!! Is there any raiding?? Goodbye f2p subpar ripoff content games.

No raiding, no battlegrounds, arena or world PVP. Only AvA 3 faction PVP and dungeons. Almost like GW2 (which at least has battlegrounds PVP).

I haven't been ripped off by F2P games thus far, but paying 15$ a month for WoW, since vanilla to WotLK, while having recycled character models and recycled raids, got old pretty fast. Also, SWTOR did not justify sub, hence the F2P conversion.

You do realize that P2P business model does not mean quality game?

There will be raiding. They are just calling it "Adventure Zones". World PvP exists. Cyrodiil is a regular area with questing, dungeons, gathering except PvP is enabled and you can take villages, forts, castles and the Ruby Throne. Hopefully dueling or Arenas will be added later into the game. Arenas didn't actually exists in vanilla WoW either to be honest.

Maybe a bit of research would be useful before spewing out accusations.

I've researched this game very much and there will be no raids. At least not the ones that exist to in WoW, SWTOR etc. World PVP does not exist outside of Cyrodiil (which is 1/4 of the world map). 

As you can see, the game is very similar to GW2, no raids unless you consider GW2 boss zergs as raid. Also, no world PVP unless you consider WvW in GW2 as open world PVP.

Also, Matt Firor has stated multiple times in his interviews,that  there will be no battlegrounds or arena PVP. They are not even considering it because Cyrodiil will be the only place for PVP.

Never said it was doomed to fail because of the payment model. It is doomed to fail for other reasons, but payment method isn't the most pressing...

I apologize for the implication that you were saying that than; the point still stands though, as even if you weren't making that argument, threre are a lot of people who are.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I probably won't pick up this one but I applaud them for not going the scam to pay route.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

This is good news for me because I was trying to decide if I should get Skyrim or try TESO.  Skyrim it is!

FFXIV…TESO.…W* : I wonder which of these will make it trough 2015 with the same payment model?

Also, I predict that when EQNext goes live, one or two of these games will experience hard times.

Originally posted by strellok

P2p is the future, I believe that.

But who honestly thinks TESO is worth the sub is completely stupid and regular sheep. Use brain and think about it. Its the IP and marketing that makes you think this will be worth paying for. Wildstar might, not this game. 

Whether they make it worth the sub or not is entirely a separate issue; an important one, but still separate from the question of which way of making their money back is better or worse.

Originally posted by DeVoDeVo

This is good news for me because I was trying to decide if I should get Skyrim or try TESO.  Skyrim it is!

FFXIV…TESO.…W* : I wonder which of these will make it trough 2015 with the same payment model?

Also, I predict that when EQNext goes live, one or two of these games will experience hard times.

A large part of that will depend on the expectations of the people developing them. If they budgeted for and designed the game for a WoW size base, they will all be in trouble. If they stuck closer to earth and anticipated lower, more realistic  numbers, than having lower numbers won't be a problem, and they won't be forced to change their business plan any.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by NBlitz

i don't have a problem with subscription models aside from the entry and re-entry!

Lower/remove the threshold of joining the game for the first time (trial with many features turned off?). 

Lower/remove the threshold of trying out the game again once you've left for a time. You want to see what's up since you left? Suuure, come on in. You can sub when you're ready to come back in earnest.

It was a rare sub based MMO in the past that didn't have free weekend trials for returning consumers, in fact, SOE is famous for it with EQ and most if not all of their other games.  Initial costs, such as the box price is important to the success of the game and therefore important to its ongoing health and expansion.

Agreed. I believe WoW had buddy keys from vanilla, aye? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wasn't talking about waiting for the company to host a "welcome back" weekend once in a blue moon. 

Or having you sifting through the net for a key or asking "friends." I don't even know how many attempts you get at the keys. Once every 3 months? Etc.

"Come check our game whenever you want! But there are restrictions."

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

wildstar -sub

FF14-sub

TESO-sub

Eve-sub

WoW-sub

either many of you horraying about this have no concept of finances and paying bills...or are multi millionaires. still living with your parents. i pray for your parents.

i myself will not be playing neither of them-it isnt worth it.- so many great games out there F2p. or better cash shop bundles.

a' sub' dosent make one a better dev. thats the truth.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    I'll give it 18 months from release before the F2P model reveal

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

This is great news!!!

No crappy item shops, no more nickel and dime bs, I couldn't be happier!!

This will promote a great community, one that plans to stay, not buzz thru the content and then flame the game on every forum on the internet.

This is just awesome!

I apologize for the implication that you were saying that than; the point still stands though, as even if you weren't making that argument, threre are a lot of people who are.

And let me say for the record that I have no problems, financially speaking, paying for subscriptions. A few years ago, I had five subscriptions going at once to five different MMOs...SWG, EQ, EVE, WWII Online, and City of Heroes. But I played them all casually...maybe an hour in each one a week. It bothered me that I was subsidizing other players who were playing 40 hours a week (or more).

So I was happy when f2p models appeared because then I could just pay for the content I wanted, and pay for the time I spent in game. Subscription models hinder me from playing multiple MMOs because I'm not dumb enough to pay $75 a month on MMOs these days. It's much more prudent to spend money in the multiple f2p games I play, which may or may not be more than $15 a month, but it is far less than $75.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    This just makes the coming F2Ps more attractive, like Archeage, EQN and Black Desert
  • ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I am so happy to hear this. I am getting so sick and tired of nickel and dime cash shops. Guess what this means? NO HAVING TO PAY FOR EXTRA BAG SPACE OR FOR EXTRA HOTBARS (looking at you SWTOR)!

Huh?! Preferred status players has 4 quickbars and 6 characters... on each server.