Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Subscription Model Announced

Comments

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I was interested in both TESO and Wildstar, but was thinking the payment model (say, F2P or even B2P with a dominant cash shop) would probably turn me off.

Nice to find out that doesn't seem to be the case with either game. I don't like the idea of that Plex-like scheme in Wildstar (neither did I in EVE, though at least it's got permanent item destruction as money sink), but I guess I'll take a look and see how it's going to work in the game.

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168

Enjoy your P2P games guys. Won't be paying a sub for a game that they said themselves is not a MMO.

Also I'm sure the fee will be like all other P2P MMOs. Close to $15 per month. Of course, why put the price a bit down when there is a whole bunch of P2P elitists who are happy to pay that amount of money for one single game thinking that it obviously guarantee a high quality game.

If you think that a payment model will bring back good game design choices, you are wrong.

This game should clearly be B2P IMO. Too bad. Ok next game.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Hard to tell what their angle is here.

On the one side they said they are pushing the game back to make it more true to Elder Scrolls games and something fans of the genre could expect to be the next iteration of the franchise.

But the payment models seems to be specifically for the MMO crowd that has seen such for years; it alienates the console players (and thus their majority fanbase) who only played ESO on their consoles and without monthly fees (many consoles still scoff at having to rent a game they already purchased).  These "fans" are used to buying a game and playing, not to mention perhaps picking up DLC and microtransaction processes.

This is contradictory to all logic and reason if the two are considered parts of a whole (and not just looking at it from a business / investor "money grab" perspective).  Though it doesn't take a genius to understand that milking the P2P for all it's worth with a box + P2P to offset development and new server costs and then switching to F2P will not only boost numbers of people who are then thankful to play, but give dramatic profit and increased interest.

This is a very real tactic in which companies milk and "use" people who acquire a sort of mob mentality; they will lure in P2P players with promises and say "we're P2P, we'll stay that way!", and then shortly down the line immediately move to the next crowd to milk once the inevitable happens and numbers sink to a pre-determined point.  The P2P model should not be praised in anyway -- no current model should -- as it just means that something more fair to the community wasn't implemented.  It's just pitting one side against the other, and using both when it suits them.

28:16

While explaining the process quite well, these are things that developers think of.  It's a business, and especially if you have to pay off investors, this is the reality.  There were rumors that SWTOR planned for this all along themselves.

But as far as ESO goes, I'm just not sure it knows what it wants to be.  Does it want to appeal to it's fanbase, or does it want to appeal to the MMO "P2P" base, which will be fractured by FFXIV / Wildstar / WoW / itself as it is?

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Okay so yeah, this game just got a death warrant with this. THis will go TORcraft route fast. 

Any bets on how many weeks after launch till it goes F2P?

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I had given up hope. When I see f2p games it's automatic, I just dont take it seriously. With the news of ESO and Wildstar hope has been restored.
  • ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88
    About time, thank you devs!
  • NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    And they just lost a large chunck of potential customers.. why would you pay monthly for a game when you have hundreds of alternatives. Was curious if they could bring the SP experience combined with friends and the best of MMOs, but I have lost all my interest now. Not everyone has money to spent these days. Sub will just not work for me atm.

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by vmoped
    Originally posted by DrDream
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Well this gonna be interesting. Since ESO and Wildstar plan to launch around the same time and both go p2p, most people who wanted to try both will just choose one of them. ESO might win this fight thx to IP.

Personally im still going for Wildstar, i may try ESO when it has a free trial or if i hear amazing things otherwise im not much for Real time combat in my MMO's i like Tab-target.

From what I understand I believe Wildstar is action combat as well.  Both use telegraphs, dodge mechanics, limited action bars, and cone/aoe for hit determination.  I haven't played either, so maybe I have the wrong impression here.

Cheers!

You are right, Wildstar is not tab-target. Actually even ESO is closer to tab-target than WS, because it has abilities locked on red marked targets.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by 9ineven

Enjoy your P2P games guys. Won't be paying a sub for a game that they said themselves is not a MMO.

Also I'm sure the fee will be like all other P2P MMOs. Close to $15 per month. Of course, why put the price a bit down when there is a whole bunch of P2P elitists who are happy to pay that amount of money for one single game thinking that it obviously guarantee a high quality game.

If you think that a payment model will bring back good game design choices, you are wrong.

This game should clearly be B2P IMO. Too bad. Ok next game.

I do wish to inform you that they never claimed that it isn't an MMO. Just that it feels more like an Elder Scrolls game with your friends. But all the MMO features are still there. 200 players on screen, PvP, economy and such that can only be achieved through a massive amount of players.

But it doesn't matter if it's an MMO or not to you, since you do not wish to commit to one game. You've played SWTOR, Guildwars 2, countless of f2p games and haven't stuck with a single one, and that is alright. But maybe you should consider playing more singleplayer games.

Of course, you are correct that the subscription cost will be the same as most other MMO's sub fee, which in my opinion is a flaw. But elitist or not, if the game is good, people will continue to subscribe to it.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Great news, I'm glad it's not just another throw away F2P game although I always expected it to be a P2P, so its not really a shock

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

lol?

FFXIV staying P2P, Wildstar going P2P and now ESO going P2P.

Sorry, subscription based games are a dying breed. This is the F2P (or B2P) world now.  The games are going to die (aside from FFXIV, since FFXI is still running as a niche title) so long as they use a subscription model.  Just look at how many have failed in the last few years.

Oh well; guess I really only have EQNext to look forward to.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    A lot of games have in fact not died after going free to play but thrived
  • darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Well this game just committed suicide, this game don't even look good to appear as a P2P title, Watch as this game going to collapse FAST...

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert
    And they just lost a large chunck of potential customers.. why would you pay monthly for a game when you have hundreds of alternatives. Was curious if they could bring the SP experience combined with friends and the best of MMOs, but I have lost all my interest now. Not everyone has money to spent these days. Sub will just not work for me atm.

The only thing they lost were temporary customers (although potential) whom of which will clogg up the game for the first 2-6 months and then never be seen again.

Thing is, if the only reason those customers and you have to not purchase the game is that it isn't B2P or F2P, you would probably not even stick around until the first initial month of TES:O was over.  (Which is included in the purchase of the game)

You are assuming that you will continue to play the game for several months even if there is a subcription, and that you cannot afford that hence you refuse to try it unless it is B2P/F2P.

• AzartenAzarten Member UncommonPosts: 33

Oh damn ... ESO and Wildstar were two games that I had written off expecting them to be F2P so I wasn't following them at all.  Now it looks like I'm going to have to buy and subscribe to both games damn them.

With all the F2P games I've tried I'm well and truly over the cash shop model.  It's like watching a movie where you can't see the ending without spending well above the amount of money that a straight up movie ticket would be.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Good for them, now let the whining begin this will be good to read for a few hours while all the tight gits cry about having to put their hands in their pockets for a change. Oh and as for the console players this will be EPIC to hear too I'm sure of that. image

Asbo

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I don't think it's a wise move. New games are not able to keep their players long enough for it to be worth it. Are they going to sell lifetime memberships?

The best is when you have both models to accomodate any kind of players. I enjoy going back and forth between Tera, Rift,  SwTOR, or Neverwinter without feeling bad because I'm wasting money on monthly fees. Pay-as-you-go models would be acceptable, but game companies refuse to offer it outside of Asia.

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert

The only thing they lost were temporary customers (although potential) whom of which will clogg up the game for the first 2-6 months and then never be seen again.

Thing is, if the only reason those customers and you have to not purchase the game is that it isn't B2P or F2P, you would probably not even stick around until the first initial month of TES:O was over.  (Which is included in the purchase of the game)

You are assuming that you will continue to play the game for several months even if there is a subcription, and that you cannot afford that hence you refuse to try it unless it is B2P/F2P.

B2P customers are customers. In your post you seem to not consider customers if they don't play (and pay)  for months ? WTF ?

As a  B2P game, people can always come back and play it... Oh wait, you don't care, because they're not paying anymore ?

I hope I misunderstood you.

• Jester36Jester36 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Glad to hear this.  So sick of the F2P model.  
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I'll wait for B2P model which will most likely come after a month or 6... ;-)
  • TucnacekTucnacek Member UncommonPosts: 1
    see you when this will go f2p or b2p like wildstar next year... :)
  • sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    This news gives me hope for the game, which frankly had been fading. For all those saying that subscription is dying, remember that even 5 years ago, no one took free to play seriously, and now its in ascendence; what the next 5 years holds is anyone's guess, but sub based games have a lot of advantages over ftp that aren't going to go away, and they will continue to be a force to be reckoned with, even if they don't dominate the market.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I doubt I will play either Wildstar or TESO but I'm glad companies realize F2P and B2P are not the future. If you create a quality game, with quality gameplay and updates, people will gladly pay. Hopefully, one or both of these games can make their subscriptions worth it. I will always prefer a subscription model over the gimmicky, so called "F2P or B2P" mmo's.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by bdew

So FFXIV, Wildstar and now TESO are all sub based, I can't be happier.

So tired of all thos bullshit nickle-and-dime P2W cash shop crap.

One BIG FAT QFT! 

• McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43
    I find it hilarious how some people cant find the will to put 15$ or w/e towards a game monthly. Like seriously? 15$ for hours and hours of entertainment? That's a good deal. Heck, some people spend 12$ to watch ONE movie where I live, it's sad.