Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game offers nothing.

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

All of the information I am getting from reading the various post open beta forum threads is that FFXIV will do a very good job of separating gamers with distinctively different play styles and preferences.  This is a very good thing for the FFXIV community.  In doing so it will succeed in weeding out many, if not all, of the undesirables who would otherwise log into FFXIV and ruin an otherwise enjoyable and cooperative community, comprised of like minded players. 

Just imagine a community devoid of F2P freeloaders, PvP E-peeners, "FPS action combat" MMORPG wanna be gamers," the "I am too lazy to read GIVE ME VO NAO" types, and the various other dissidents.  I mean, how great would that be?  So how about stop trying to convince the "Doom-N-Gloom Shills" and let them spout their "game is awful" nonsense.  Because you who are enjoying the game may not realize it, but this is actually the biggest gift to the community these anti-FFXIV folks could ever give you, and that is a community devoid of their poisonous presence. 

A true blessing indeed.  

I am afraid it would be a very small community. I believe that most people are shades of grey. The same person who can be the PvP E-peener can very well be the lore-focused team-player in FFXIV.

The "too lazy to read, give me vo nao" can actually be a person who is enjoyable to play with and is good at other aspects of the game.

Most importangly: the FPS action combat player can very well seek FFXIV for the non-action combat; why play FFXIV for FPS action combat when you can play another proper FPS for the FPS and play FFXIV for other reasons?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Quazal.A

Curious

Why do people counter the "I dont like this game" argument with "you must play it more later on it starts to kick ass"

Because too me thats counter productive, how many of us eat food and after the first / second bite we realise we can't stand it, do you carry on eating in the hope that it tastes better later on, or do you just pass and get something else.

Fact is the games industry is the same as dining , if people dont enjoy it from the off, what most people will do is leave the game, infact i saw some studies few years back that suggest if a player within 2hours of turning the game on, doesn't get the joy then they will not play. The day that developers get this in their head the better... (maybe this is what blizz clicked onto with their games)

No one is telling you you have to play it more if you don't like it.

But don't play the game to level 10 and then come here and tell us it has nothing to offer when the OP has no clue what it has to offer.

• FullyhollowFullyhollow Member Posts: 1
    This is why Square doesn't want Video or Audio to get out about it. Because one idiot with negative opinions like "it's not WoW" is going to ruin it by posting their opinion on a forum site. It's a Final Fantasy game, it's not supposed to hold your hand through the questing like other MMO's. Even still, that's your own negative opinion, and it's wasting space on this forum. The combat is "slow" because of the GCD being 2.5 seconds. Again, it's meant to feel like a Final Fantasy game, not WoW. Not Rift. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. If you don't like the GCD, go play a game where you can faceroll through it. And there is "pvp?!???," if you actually gave a shit about the game and didn't just join the open beta, you'd know that Yoshi P intends for FF XIV to be an eSport. It's depressing that uneducated people have the ability to cloud the minds of those who are wondering about this game. You're playing a beta like it's the final product, and you're complaining about it like it's supposed to be WoW. You should read a little bit before posting negative things about a game.
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Quazal.A

Because too me thats counter productive, how many of us eat food and after the first / second bite we realise we can't stand it, do you carry on eating in the hope that it tastes better later on, or do you just pass and get something else.

Well, that's how people get to like stuff like coffee, beer or even spicy food :-)

On a more serious note, I agree that the weakest point of FF XIV so far might be the first few levels of the game. And if that's turning off so many people, maybe SE should look into it.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• SirHorseSirHorse Member Posts: 1

Hey, have you even read what was in the latest beta test?? If you had you would know that they have implemented PVP.... Get your facts straight before you start ranting off. Also if you dont like cutscenes you can do what any normal person would do and skip them. =O omg what no!?!? that's incredible. (sarcasm) Yeah sure the combat gets a little tiring, but if thats the case go fight something harder, the only person stopping you from actually enjoying the game is yourself.

-SirHorse

• noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Ok. This is a review by a person who has no idea what FF is all about. If you would of played FFXI,which by the way is still going strong after 11 years,just so you know. FF is about the lore,if you dont invest in the story then chances are you won't play long. This game will survive,I am sure. But it will survive not because of NA or EU players,but because Japanese players adore this franchise,plain and simple. You can't form an opinion of this game after 10 or so levels,you just can't. FF offers so much to do, there really is no comparison. If Tera was as good as you say, then it would still be a sub. Rift, same thing. You want to talk about dull combat, play Rift for a while. If you want a game that you get the best gear,etc.... without doing much of anything,this is not your game. Like FFXI, you will earn everything you get. In FFXI, the sense of accomplishment I felt from getting my AF armor was special. No other mmo out there provides that thrill. The thrill of beating Matt in FFXI in order to progress in levels, again no other MMO provides that. Don't jump on a forum and bash a game when you have no idea what the game is about. I f  you play a sub game you will get your money's worth, I promise that, look at the sub games still going strong, WOW, Eve Online, DAOC, FFXI, all top quality titles. F2P is ruining the MMO landscape, with people soaking money into cash shops for extra bag space, unique gear and boosts, areas of the game locked out,unless you pay. I will take FF over any game out there, just my opinion. Fellow FFXI players will know what I am talking about and I hope some chime in on this thread.
  • wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    Ah, was looking for these threads. I had a hard time in the starter city, there were too many doors/zones to run through, got confused , couldn't figure out how to switch maps. just a more work than I thought it would be. After I got out, found some NPC guy, told me my gear was crap, basically go back to the maze city and grind quest. The graphics are awesome, but the game became a chore instantly. Didn't like the heavily zones areas and having five maps for such a small area.
  • David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by wowclonez
    Ah, was looking for these threads. I had a hard time in the starter city, there were too many doors/zones to run through, got confused , couldn't figure out how to switch maps. just a more work than I thought it would be. After I got out, found some NPC guy, told me my gear was crap, basically go back to the maze city and grind quest. The graphics are awesome, but the game became a chore instantly. Didn't like the heavily zones areas and having five maps for such a small area.

I really like this game and plan to stay as 11 was also great, but i do agree with everything you just said. It gets better after the 1-15'ish city stuff. It just so typical mmo, the storries are great and the npc's seem geniune but the intro stuff could have been done a little better, good for first timers though. The cities are chunked in a strange way but you get used to it.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

You played less than 5-6 hours of the game. Enough said.

The game is a tutorial up until level 18-19.

You didn't even scratch the surface of the game OP. So don't say it "tanks" from there on out.

Hell even people that GOT to 20 still have no idea how the game is going to play out later. But just the ifrit content was enough to say the game is great. Just because I know we're going to fight more primals.

It can only get better and I personally can't wait to make it my personal MMO for a long time. I've played all the "Highly anticipated MMOS" in some way already at this point and XIV has been the only one that doesn't feel very shallow so far like guild wars 2. (even though i like GW2 it's not something i play constantly.)

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Logs into WoW...

Wants to log back into FFXIV.

Logs into DAoC...

Wants to log back into FFXIV...

uh oh, I is teh addicteded!

Originally posted by derek39

Seems like we hear this excuse for every MMO game. It took you level 18-19 for you to get into the game. Sorry, 5-6 hours should be plenty to get into any game. 5-6 hours into Skyrim I was amazed, far out into the world, felt epic. 5-6 hours into WOW I felt like I accomplished something and was far out into the world, character was progressing nicely. 5-6 hours in this game felt like I was doing homework or something, so many small zones. Not saying it is a bad game, but just didn't draw me in, guess I am more of a sandbox guy, I like big worlds, few zones etc. Glad you are liking it though, maybe if it goes F2P in the future will give it a try.

Originally posted by jayvierl
    You argument is weak. Yes its beta but it releases in less than a week. Lmao

I lol'ed.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Seems like we hear this excuse for every MMO game. It took you level 18-19 for you to get into the game. Sorry, 5-6 hours should be plenty to get into any game. 5-6 hours into Skyrim I was amazed, far out into the world, felt epic. 5-6 hours into WOW I felt like I accomplished something and was far out into the world, character was progressing nicely. 5-6 hours in this game felt like I was doing homework or something, so many small zones. Not saying it is a bad game, but just didn't draw me in, guess I am more of a sandbox guy, I like big worlds, few zones etc. Glad you are liking it though, maybe if it goes F2P in the future will give it a try.

I disagree, that's a very console driven mentality.  MMOs are specifically designed for slow progress.  You are throttled in nearly every aspect.  You can expect roughly 30-40 hours of gameplay from a console game.  If an MMO can't deliver hundreds of hours, it won't last more than a month.

The more features a game has, the longer it is going to take to teach all of those functions.  It took me about 3 hours of semi-casual play to really understand the core functions.  The game wasn't terribly easy to just pick up and understand, a lot is thrown at you fast.  However, since I have played games for so long I knew the general purpose of each function once I realized what was happening.  I wouldn't have the same expectation of someone new to MMOs and that's clearly the mentality SE took.  There's a lot of information I didn't need in that tutorial, but it was info that someone else likely did.  That takes time.

Maybe SE tipped the scale a bit too far to the newbie.  When reviewing a game you have to recognize what the tutorial is.  If you can't, you shouldn't review and if you are unwilling to pass that you shouldn't review.  It's a valid point to have in a review, but it's an invalid review to solely focus on that tutorial.

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

OP I'm sorry you feel that way. I loved it and found it refreshing to have an MMO that didn't try to go with a one trick pony but instead considered all aspects of the genre.  Is it perfect? No. However, I can't wait for early release! 

There will be PvP in the game but it's coming later. Since FF's have never been pvp centric I think it's good that they are taking a little more time to craft what that experience will be like.  

Every game is not for everyone.

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

All of the information I am getting from reading the various post open beta forum threads is that FFXIV will do a very good job of separating gamers with distinctively different play styles and preferences.  This is a very good thing for the FFXIV community.  In doing so it will succeed in weeding out many, if not all, of the undesirables who would otherwise log into FFXIV and ruin an otherwise enjoyable and cooperative community, comprised of like minded players. 

Just imagine a community devoid of F2P freeloaders, PvP E-peeners, "FPS action combat" MMORPG wanna be gamers," the "I am too lazy to read GIVE ME VO NAO" types, and the various other dissidents.  I mean, how great would that be?  So how about stop trying to convince the "Doom-N-Gloom Shills" and let them spout their "game is awful" nonsense.  Because you who are enjoying the game may not realize it, but this is actually the biggest gift to the community these anti-FFXIV folks could ever give you, and that is a community devoid of their poisonous presence. 

A true blessing indeed.  

Do you realize how snobbish this sounds? Anyways, it will weed out more than just the Greifing Trolls. This will indeed be a very small, tight-knit community.  I would call this a mixed blessing at best.

It had been mentioned that Yoshida stated he would pullt he plug on this game before ever taking it into a F2P model. Enjoy your year (2 at tops). The Asian market might keep this game pumping for much longer...that's about it though.

No worries, you have one PvP "E-peener" here.  As soon as those systems get rolling I'll be there making heads roll...with a scholar.  Well, actually it will be a group o people.

You don't think PvP'ers like FF too?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

For those that are saying it levels too fast...don't worry, on your 2nd class from one of the cities, you won't have hardly any quests to level you.  Then it's back to old school FFXI grind days :D.  And levels 20+ go a lot slower.  The exp increase needed for each successive level goes through the roof.

Although, you do get upto a 50% exp bonus from leveling another class  :(, but I still think it'll be pretty slow.

Originally posted by Gravarg

For those that are saying it levels too fast...don't worry, on your 2nd class from one of the cities, you won't have hardly any quests to level you.  Then it's back to old school FFXI grind days :D.  And levels 20+ go a lot slower.  The exp increase needed for each successive level goes through the roof.

Although, you do get upto a 50% exp bonus from leveling another class  :(, but I still think it'll be pretty slow.

There's an awkward gap on your 2nd class at about 13-15 where you are a bit stuck with grinding.  Other than that, you can stack up the quests pretty nicely so that you rocket up once you hit 15.

Originally posted by Alamareth

I disagree, that's a very console driven mentality.  MMOs are specifically designed for slow progress.  You are throttled in nearly every aspect.  You can expect roughly 30-40 hours of gameplay from a console game.  If an MMO can't deliver hundreds of hours, it won't last more than a month.

The more features a game has, the longer it is going to take to teach all of those functions.  It took me about 3 hours of semi-casual play to really understand the core functions.  The game wasn't terribly easy to just pick up and understand, a lot is thrown at you fast.  However, since I have played games for so long I knew the general purpose of each function once I realized what was happening.  I wouldn't have the same expectation of someone new to MMOs and that's clearly the mentality SE took.  There's a lot of information I didn't need in that tutorial, but it was info that someone else likely did.  That takes time.

Maybe SE tipped the scale a bit too far to the newbie.  When reviewing a game you have to recognize what the tutorial is.  If you can't, you shouldn't review and if you are unwilling to pass that you shouldn't review.  It's a valid point to have in a review, but it's an invalid review to solely focus on that tutorial.

You say this as if Skyrim or WOW doesn't have 100's of hours of gameplay. You even admitted it yourself  "There's a lot of information I didn't need in that tutorial, but it was info that someone else likely did.  That takes time. Maybe SE tipped the scale a bit too far to the newbie." Console driven mentality, don't forget it's coming out for PS3. A lot of people don't have patience for this stuff. Never in Skyrim or WOW did I feel overwhelmed with an extended tutorial. I understand what you are saying don't get me wrong, but don't disagree then re enforce what I said. Think at the end of the day we can all agree the tutorial crap is just way too long.

Originally posted by Alamareth

You say this as if Skyrim or WOW doesn't have 100's of hours of gameplay. You even admitted it yourself  "There's a lot of information I didn't need in that tutorial, but it was info that someone else likely did.  That takes time. Maybe SE tipped the scale a bit too far to the newbie." Console driven mentality, don't forget it's coming out for PS3. A lot of people don't have patience for this stuff. Never in Skyrim or WOW did I feel overwhelmed with an extended tutorial. I understand what you are saying don't get me wrong, but don't disagree then re enforce what I said. Think at the end of the day we can all agree the tutorial crap is just way too long.

Way to twist my words.  I've played games for over a decade, I literally have seen it all.  I will pick up things at a far faster pace than anyone that's new to a MMO.  I'm not re-enforcing, I'm adding some subtlety to a frankly very stupid post by you.

Also, Skyrim has replay value but not hundreds of hour of gameplay.  It's a little tough to compare that to a MMO.  It also comes with a roughly 20 page instruction manual.  Are you advocating FFXIV:ARR do that too? I tested WoW, but I hated it so much that I refused to play it, so I can't comment on that tutorial. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

I can´t help but facepalm at comments such as "Story and cutscenes suck, give me more fights"

Has any of you actually played a classic Final Fantasy before?

Yes.. and the story and cut scenes didn't suck. What's your point?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

I can´t help but facepalm at comments such as "Story and cutscenes suck, give me more fights"

Has any of you actually played a classic Final Fantasy before?

Yes.. and the story and cut scenes didn't suck. What's your point?

He is not saying the story and cutscenes sucj he is saying "story and cutscenes suck" meaning the game shouldnt have them.  I should be an all powerful supercharacter that fights 24/7 for no real reason because hey there is no story after all.  And if i cant one shot every mob in the game its too hard.  Oh and I want top ranked gear delivered to my inbox every morning just for logging in because I deserve it.  Ridiculous.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Just have to say one thing

This review offers nothing

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Lucrecia
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I think this is what the problem with every MMO that's come out since WoW (except a few).  The developers all want to make MMOs exciting, fast-paced, and rewarding.  Truth is, a real MMO is none of those things.  

MMOs are not always exciting, there are lulls in the action.  If you want to have excitement 24/7/365, MMOs aren't for you, just stop playing them.  There are times when you go up against something truly challenging and win that are exciting, but if you expect kill 10 rats to be exciting, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

MMOs are not fast-paced.  They're slow, grindy games that take years to master everything.  Recent games are all about, "Get to max level in 3-4 days, then go to endgame".  This isn't what an MMO is about.  MMOs are all about the journey of your character, not the endgame.  Progessing through things like crafting, leveling, and the overall game should be done slowly and enjoy the journey.  If you expect to level every 30 seconds, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

MMOs are not rewarding, in the sense that other genres are anyways.  If you want to have an "omg I can't believe that just happened" moment everyday, then you're not going to be happy.  MMOs are the quintissential delayed gratification of the gaming industry.  If you want everything fast and now, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

I've been saying this for years.  The problem with MMOs isn't the games or developers, it's the community as a whole.  You demanded games that were exciting all the time.  You demanded games that were fast-paced.  You demanded games that rewarded you for breathing, walking, and looking blankly in a corner of a pub.  Therefore we all got these games that were no longer MMOs, but a perverse amalgamation we have had over the last 7-8 years.

I'm glad that FFXIV does not follow this trend.  I'm glad that it instead goes with slower paced combat, slower paced leveling, and long drawn out cut scenes.  If you would actually stop to read the text and learn the story, it is actually quite engaging.  I'm glad that FFXIV doesn't reward you but just a small upgrade in gear everytime, which eventually turns into you being undergeared in later stages.  I'm glad that I don't have my heart racing all the time, but when a big boss comes up, it actually stands out, since I just got done with a long lull of excitement.

Thanks SE for redoing this game, and making it what it should've been in the first place.  Great job, and I love it.

This is what I want in an MMO.........this is what I expected in FFXIV.......

From my experience, FF14 seems to provide just this experience. It is old school done well. It has all of the feel of an old school game with the polish expected in this day age. I am excited for tomorrow.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• nilelivenilelive Member Posts: 3
    I have to disagree. Delayed gratification? Is that really what we want from our entertainment, to have frequent lulls? I'm not saying you're wrong in preferring the slower pace as I love EVE online which has a much slower pace than ffxiv but there is a real world out there with engaging and worthwhile experiences. It's embarrassing to sit in front of a computer and hit 1234 on your keyboard until the little fairy dies and you can collect her wings for the unimportant questgiver who's name you never bothered to remember. That's insulting to human intelligence, to entertainment. Seriously watch someone playing this game and tell me you're having a good time. It's slow, it's boring, it's not brining anything new to the table, its convention. The genre is trying to break-out of this lull and bring mmorpgs forward. You SHOULDN'T be subjected to sitting in a digital landscape killing owlbears for two hours to get their "fur" (staring at you eq2). This isn't intelligent game design and should be looked down upon. If you wanted a slow pace mmo that sticks to convention you have plenty to choose from but lets not all act like this game is reinventing the wheel or offering anything worth celebrating. The name alone is an insult, Realm Reborn? Since the first Realm they made had to be pulled off-market!