Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next = Metallica's Black Album

Comments

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    Folks assume EQN is going to be kiddie game based on two factors. One the art style and two the 8 button UI. At best this a correlation not a direct cause.

But if they are wrong and EQN turns out to be targeted towards the hardcore crowd, this is not only false advertising, instead SOE would be spreading negative propaganda to denounce their own game.

• trouser03trouser03 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Lets see, the black album was a simpler scaled back version that was easier for non hardcore fans to get into and sold millions ... Sounds lime WoW to me. EQnext seems like it will be more complex and deeper (literally) than EQ 1 or 2.
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by trouser03
    Lets see, the black album was a simpler scaled back version that was easier for non hardcore fans to get into and sold millions ... Sounds lime WoW to me. EQnext seems like it will be more complex and deeper (literally) than EQ 1 or 2.

Sounds like they sold out to me. Just like $OE did when EQN sold out their base for a larger demographic to pack their pockets with 30 pieces of silver.

Metallica didn't sell out with the Black Album ... Lars just couldn't play Dyer's Eve so they had to go arena rock =p

For a Metallica/EQNext comparison ... i'm going to go with EQNext = Master with Black Albums Production value.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    So what game is like Ride The Lightning because that was my favorite Metallica album.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Soki123
    I understand the analogy, but I really liked the "Black Album" I like all their stuff actually.

Agreed.

I never understood the big beef over it back in the 90s.  Sure, I could see how it was different, but it was still enjoyable.

We'd be lucky if EQ Next was as comparable to EQ as the black album was to Metallica's previous.  As it stands, I'd say EQ next will be as different from EQ as Metallica is from Creed.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Xerathule
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Is this in game footage from EQN?

We might want to request it to the EQN team! :)

sherlock confirmed one of the 40 EQN roles, but instead of using deductive reasoning, he's more like the Robert Downey Jr. version where all 4 of his class abilities are used to dps.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Originally posted by Soki123
    I understand the analogy, but I really liked the "Black Album" I like all their stuff actually.

Agreed.

I never understood the big beef over it back in the 90s. 

The beef was that they allowed Bob Rock to turn them into a heavier AC/DC.  They stopped pushing the envelope musically and their technical prowess they were known for was relegated to arena rock.  In their prime in the 80's, they were so far ahead of every other metal band in terms of musicianship and song writing.  They changed their style from 2-3 riffs per song with time changes, to the standard rock formula or 1.  They became boring and predictable.

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by Iadien
    Folks assume EQN is going to be kiddie game based on two factors. One the art style and two the 8 button UI. At best this a correlation not a direct cause.

EQ was a total kiddie game, only 8 spells at a time, easy mode!

Exactly, but like your first love, nothing else is going to recapture that emotion and feeling. I really believe if they recreated eq1 exactly and only upgraded the graphics. We would be screaming for something new and not more of the same. We gamers are a funny bunch. We don't really know what we want other than to recreated the enjoyment we got from that one special game.

EQ1 had very limited skills you could use at any given time. crafting was somewhat of a nightmare. the world  foggy and lacked a sky for years. And lets not forget spending 10-15 minutes staring at your open spell book.  Or the night so dark even a torch barely helped.

I miss the groups, the sense of wonder eq1 inspired and the treasure hunting. And best of all I miss watching the random person fall from kelethin

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Iadien

EQ was a total kiddie game, only 8 spells at a time, easy mode!

Yes easy mode, needing to know which skills/spells go good with what; which combinations are effective against what enemies; having access to only a percentage of your arsenal instead of your entire arsenal, requiring you to plan your fights ahead and do your best to adapt when a set of spells isn't working in your favor.

The definition of easy mode

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Sengi

But if they are wrong and EQN turns out to be targeted towards the hardcore crowd, this is not only false advertising, instead SOE would be spreading negative propaganda to denounce their own game.

Yep. penetrating argument, because you called him on the pretense.

"This thing isn't what it looks like!"

Based on the information available, the trajectory of the game looks more likely to be aimed at a family audience (to include kids) versus some kind of a super bitchin full-featured MMORPG system. And as he said, why would they try and obfuscate the complexity of the game when presenting it at a live event filled with EQ1 and EQ2 players?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Gravarg

The problem is that the majority of people on this site probably don't know what Metallica's Black Album is hehe.

And I have to agree.  So far from what I've seen, it has nothing to do with Everquest.  It might have the same names for races and landmarks or something, but it doesn't look to be anything like Everquest.

Edit: Kill 'em All is still and always will be their best album :)

or the what the reference to the black album even means.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    As a life long guitarist and gamer, have you ever seen Metallica live? because if you have all comments are moot! They literally suck goat balls live. Metallica died after Kill em' all and Ride the Lightning were the best to date. However, with that said, I would listen to Megadeath any day over metalinuts..... But then, either band pales in comparison to Iron Maiden.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Originally posted by Xerathule

What i'm getting from what I have seen so far is that Everquest Next is going to be ditching a lot of their old loyal fans on this new release in favor of the new crowd.   So for the people that played EQ1 and EQ2 that are looking for the next Everquest, they might be in for a surprise when they see that it isn't going to be hardcore like it was in EQ1.  I wonder about the depth of the game and the interface that has yet to be revealed because that is very important!  I would love to see the depth of EQ1 in the next game and I have a feeling it isn't going to be.  This game is going to be for a console/PC crowd.  That is real important to see here, because you know want to grab as much of that market as they can too.  This is all why I am a devoted Paradox Interactive fan!  Europe Universalis IV and Rome 2: Total War will do fine for me.  You won't see Strategy games go the way of the console (at least the good ones) you know that! :)  I think what we are seeing is a transformation of Games to the Console and it is going to try to take the MMO players with it!  This is what is really going on behind all of the sales!

Your connection to the black album is brilliant! 100%agree!!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• omegadudeomegadude Member UncommonPosts: 21

i would say that black album was there most popular album so akining EQN to it isn't so bad. also when Metallica tried to go back to there thrash roots we get St Anger (bad album) so trying to remake something that is already good like eq1 and 2. i welcome the change of game play, the pace difference, and art style. if gamers don't want change then just keep playing the old games.

p.s. accepting change is a way to have more fun in gaming by experiencing new things

The flip side to the old Metallica sold out opinion is that unlike many of the other thrash bands of the 80's, Metallica were not afraid to trying different things (like EQNext is) and to do what is NOT expected of them which was to keep making MOP over and over again ... or SOE making EQ1 over again ... doing realistic graphics over again, traditional levels over again etc. EQNext is taking chances like Metallica did..... hey that reminds me, to quote an old Met song, "don't end up like others, same song and dance."
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    For God's sake, stop with all the nostalgia. I too have very fond memories of the early days in vanilla WoW, but I'm not suggesting new games should try to follow that path. It's time to move on.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ckeeton999ckeeton999 Member CommonPosts: 53
    Why are we already judging a game we literally have barely any info on? Are people really that shallow? I gues so
  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by omegadude

i would say that black album was there most popular album so akining EQN to it isn't so bad. also when Metallica tried to go back to there thrash roots we get St Anger (bad album) so trying to remake something that is already good like eq1 and 2. i welcome the change of game play, the pace difference, and art style. if gamers don't want change then just keep playing the old games.

p.s. accepting change is a way to have more fun in gaming by experiencing new things

I want change too, but keep what made the original so good-teamwork, difficulty, etc., not just tack on the name and lore to some other game idea. The problem is that some of the annoying changes are copies of other games- art style (WoW), Combat style (GW2). I do like some of the things they are doing, but if they make everything set to copy the casual wow-type games then it's not really going to be much of a new game. At least if they took some of the fun aspects of EQ, they could justify using the name.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    This is a good analogy actually. Heavy metal started with Black Sabbath and ended with Poison, pop songs aimed at girls and guys wearing lipstick. It crashed epically in 1991 and even grunge eventually succumbed to the Spice Girls.

For rock to come it'll take something raw with an with just enough accessibility to bring in the crowds.

MMOs are in the same rut right now. Each one that comes out tries to be more "pop" than the last and its a dying formula.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

I like the name of this topic, too bad many here are too young to understand it... or their taste for music is just bad.

Yes I did just go there.

Anyway, if you take a step back and have a good unbiased look at the Black album, you realize it's actually still a very good hard rock album. Not old Metallica but good, for many newer fans even their best.

So maybe we ought to do that too. Step back a bit and have a good look at what the new MMORPGs are offering. I mean we all know that good old ways of WoW or Lineage2 or whatever are over, we may look at them as the good old times, but I could never play a game like that anymore. Got fed up.

I'm not saying that we will all definitely like what we see in the new MMORPGs when we take a step back, but maybe then it's just time to leave the genre for a few years, until the next "reinvention"...

I do agree that transition of games onto consoles is ruining them tho. It's ruining them bad...

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    So the people that want the same Everquest, you play a lot of Call of Duty? Don't they release a minor upgrade to that game every year? I think there's a particular type of consumer that likes repetitive products with minor tweaks.
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by ckeeton999
    Why are we already judging a game we literally have barely any info on? Are people really that shallow? I gues so

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....