Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game offers nothing.

Comments

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I think this is what the problem with every MMO that's come out since WoW (except a few).  The developers all want to make MMOs exciting, fast-paced, and rewarding.  Truth is, a real MMO is none of those things.  

MMOs are not always exciting, there are lulls in the action.  If you want to have excitement 24/7/365, MMOs aren't for you, just stop playing them.  There are times when you go up against something truly challenging and win that are exciting, but if you expect kill 10 rats to be exciting, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

MMOs are not fast-paced.  They're slow, grindy games that take years to master everything.  Recent games are all about, "Get to max level in 3-4 days, then go to endgame".  This isn't what an MMO is about.  MMOs are all about the journey of your character, not the endgame.  Progessing through things like crafting, leveling, and the overall game should be done slowly and enjoy the journey.  If you expect to level every 30 seconds, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

MMOs are not rewarding, in the sense that other genres are anyways.  If you want to have an "omg I can't believe that just happened" moment everyday, then you're not going to be happy.  MMOs are the quintissential delayed gratification of the gaming industry.  If you want everything fast and now, then you're already set up for failure at MMOs.

I've been saying this for years.  The problem with MMOs isn't the games or developers, it's the community as a whole.  You demanded games that were exciting all the time.  You demanded games that were fast-paced.  You demanded games that rewarded you for breathing, walking, and looking blankly in a corner of a pub.  Therefore we all got these games that were no longer MMOs, but a perverse amalgamation we have had over the last 7-8 years.

I'm glad that FFXIV does not follow this trend.  I'm glad that it instead goes with slower paced combat, slower paced leveling, and long drawn out cut scenes.  If you would actually stop to read the text and learn the story, it is actually quite engaging.  I'm glad that FFXIV doesn't reward you but just a small upgrade in gear everytime, which eventually turns into you being undergeared in later stages.  I'm glad that I don't have my heart racing all the time, but when a big boss comes up, it actually stands out, since I just got done with a long lull of excitement.

Thanks SE for redoing this game, and making it what it should've been in the first place.  Great job, and I love it.

Exactly

• ManakarManakar Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by Alamareth

Don't you think it's awful early to lay down a claim of leveling too fast?  Did you even reach the point where you got thin on quests and had to rely on Guildleves/hests or FATE encounters?  Honestly, I'd rather keep that kind of grind to a minimum.  Put the premium on difficulty, particularly on instances where there were hints at some well designed battles.  Freshness is a definite concern, especially once you learn how to fight everything.  All of that can't really be decided quite yet.

FATE encounters could use added challenge.  I think it's a fair criticism.

FFXIV is not "old school" - that's either text based or full loot PvP 2.5D iso games.  I think we progressed well beyond that feature set a long time ago.  It's has the FF "feel" to it and it neatly packages your core set of features plus a few additions we've seen elsewhere.  It's not a groundbreaking innovative game.  It's an extremely well executed game that uses well established MMO features in a FF setting.  I personally like it.

The combat is not "slow".  A lot of spells use up the GCD anyway, so you don't even feel it most of the time.  Think of it as a balancing factor.  Combat clearly shows a trend towards player movement away from mob skills.  Instant casts are easier to land, but the game throttles you on how often you cast them to prevent them being substantially more useful than cast spells.  A lot of cast spells you can use all day long, but if your timing sucks - you are going to interrupt yourself a lot.  That and it forces choice, heal or damage, buff or debuff, ect.  I thought I'd hate early and I did.  Then I got to level 20 and Copperbell Mines and I didn't mind it so much.

It's not early when in less than 24 hours I can get to vl20... Also you bring up difficulty..lvling was so easy, I never even died once.. Half the time lvling to 20 nothing even aggroed me.. I guess the challenge comes from the 8man (don't consider that raiding and its a casual joke) raids and 24man (again a joke but a little less of a joke) raids. It's not well executed, its boring and the same old crap.. Just with a FF theme.. You even say it does nothing new. It's just FF and FF fanboys will always defend a FF game..

• spaniard81spaniard81 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Manakar
    Originally posted by rutaq
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

I can´t help but facepalm at comments such as "Story and cutscenes suck, give me more fights"

Has any of you actually played a classic Final Fantasy before?

lol.

The MMO market is a mess right now,  over the last 5+ years it has been flooded with players looking for Solo, fast action, low risk, high reward, shared Lobby games.  Basically games that look nothing like the original MMOs the genre was founded on.   

Hopefully the Traditional style, subscription costs, cut scenes and god forbid..  Reading of Quest text ....   will scare away the new crowd so the rest of us can enjoy the game in peace  :P

Just like GW2 and my Beta testing of ESO scared me away from the new ADHD Adventure DayCare style of game...  Fast action, no risk,  tons and tons of rewards ,no effort or time investment , anti grouping,and advancement that come so fast and so easy it makes the whole thing largely forgettable.

You know that includes FFXIV.. Just because you have to read some text and there is a slow global cooldown that doesn't mean FFXIV is like the old school mmorpgs.. You lvl way too fast, no real death penalty, too solo friendly, public events where no communication needed.. On and on and on. I love public events where no one says anything and when it's over everyone walks away like all the agent smiths in the matrix when neo escapes them.. Stop acting like FFXIV is old school because its very much a modern day themepark mmorpg with some text reading and slow combat..

All that's going on is some FF fanboys are defending the game because its a FF themed game..

Don't you think it's awful early to lay down a claim of leveling too fast?  Did you even reach the point where you got thin on quests and had to rely on Guildleves/hests or FATE encounters?  Honestly, I'd rather keep that kind of grind to a minimum.  Put the premium on difficulty, particularly on instances where there were hints at some well designed battles.  Freshness is a definite concern, especially once you learn how to fight everything.  All of that can't really be decided quite yet.

FFXIV is not "old school" - that's either text based or full loot PvP 2.5D iso games.  I think we progressed well beyond that feature set a long time ago.  It's has the FF "feel" to it and it neatly packages your core set of features plus a few additions we've seen elsewhere.  It's not a groundbreaking innovative game.  It's an extremely well executed game that uses well established MMO features in a FF setting.  I personally like it.

The combat is not "slow".  A lot of spells use up the GCD anyway, so you don't even feel it most of the time.  Think of it as a balancing factor.  Combat clearly shows a trend towards player movement away from mob skills.  Instant casts are easier to land, but the game throttles you on how often you cast them to prevent them being substantially more useful than cast spells.  A lot of cast spells you can use all day long, but if your timing sucks - you are going to interrupt yourself a lot.  That and it forces choice, heal or damage, buff or debuff, ect.  I thought I'd hate early and I did.  Then I got to level 20 and Copperbell Mines and I didn't mind it so much.

It’s disappointing to see that elitism is still alive and well in the mmo community. I find the above condescension quite repulsive; as if a genre is defined by a select few, or by outdated mechanics, or even primitive graphics. EQ1, WOW and even DAoC were amazing when they first released, but now they look extremely dated; and not just with regards to graphics.

The mmo genre is always in flux, ever changing and evolving; either you stay with the current, or you get left behind and drown.

Not all of us get to spend all day playing a game while others support the unproductive lifestyle of a “full-time” gamer (me a couple years ago); some of us have to work and support our families (me now), or choose to have a life outside of the computer. A game like GW2 is perfect for my wife and I, who only get about 1 to 2 hrs per day (if we’re lucky).

I have nothing against the traditional style; all I ask is that you have nothing against the new style which has allowed so many of us working-class people to enjoy mmorpgs. You don’t have to like the new style just as I don’t have to like the old style; I think that’s where condescension could have been left out of the conversation.

Play and let play... after all it’s just a game!

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Played the last beta. I didn't think I was gonna like it, but I did and pre-ordered image I don't know how much this one will last, but I'm sure I will, at least, enjoy quite a lot my first month.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    I like it. The dialogue is generally well written, the story seems good, the world feels like a world (so far, haven't gotten too far out) but the cities feel massive, as they should and it's kind of nice to have the old school trinity tab target combat. Oh, and the chars and armor look awesome. 
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by spaniard81
    Originally posted by rutaq
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

I can´t help but facepalm at comments such as "Story and cutscenes suck, give me more fights"

Has any of you actually played a classic Final Fantasy before?

lol.

The MMO market is a mess right now,  over the last 5+ years it has been flooded with players looking for Solo, fast action, low risk, high reward, shared Lobby games.  Basically games that look nothing like the original MMOs the genre was founded on.   

Hopefully the Traditional style, subscription costs, cut scenes and god forbid..  Reading of Quest text ....   will scare away the new crowd so the rest of us can enjoy the game in peace  :P

Just like GW2 and my Beta testing of ESO scared me away from the new ADHD Adventure DayCare style of game...  Fast action, no risk,  tons and tons of rewards ,no effort or time investment , anti grouping,and advancement that come so fast and so easy it makes the whole thing largely forgettable.

You know that includes FFXIV.. Just because you have to read some text and there is a slow global cooldown that doesn't mean FFXIV is like the old school mmorpgs.. You lvl way too fast, no real death penalty, too solo friendly, public events where no communication needed.. On and on and on. I love public events where no one says anything and when it's over everyone walks away like all the agent smiths in the matrix when neo escapes them.. Stop acting like FFXIV is old school because its very much a modern day themepark mmorpg with some text reading and slow combat..

All that's going on is some FF fanboys are defending the game because its a FF themed game..

It’s disappointing to see that elitism is still alive and well in the mmo community. I find the above condescension quite repulsive; as if a genre is defined by a select few, or by outdated mechanics, or even primitive graphics. EQ1, WOW and even DAoC were amazing when they first released, but now they look extremely dated; and not just with regards to graphics.

The mmo genre is always in flux, ever changing and evolving; either you stay with the current, or you get left behind and drown.

Not all of us get to spend all day playing a game while others support the unproductive lifestyle of a “full-time” gamer (me a couple years ago); some of us have to work and support our families (me now), or choose to have a life outside of the computer. A game like GW2 is perfect for my wife and I, who only get about 1 to 2 hrs per day (if we’re lucky).

I have nothing against the traditional style; all I ask is that you have nothing against the new style which has allowed so many of us working-class people to enjoy mmorpgs. You don’t have to like the new style just as I don’t have to like the old style; I think that’s where condescension could have been left out of the conversation.

Play and let play... after all it’s just a game!

Those are lame excuses for the devs to dumb down the genre... DO you think there were not adults playing EQ oR DAOC back in the day? Adults that had jobs and a family to support? Do you think some of those same people do not have jobs and family now that want the old ways back? All of those people at the Soe/EQ conventions are well arounded hard working adults.. Yup look up past EQ fan faires... Alot of those people got their families to be apart of their hobby and thats what it was.. Go look at the recent SoE live videos and see how many people over 25 to 30 where there..

Sorry to break it to you but your time is no more precious than anyone elses.. You dont have time for the hobby you used to enjoy so you ask the devs to charge everything to make it easy for you.. Meanwhile that dumbs down the game for everyone and the genre turns into something completely different.. 10 years from now its going to be even worse and people like you will remember back and think what happened...

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I was extremely impressed with the time I spent in FFXIV. I felt like I was really inside a world of Final Fantasy. It was huge and beautiful. I really loved the controls on my PS3 controller, they were easy and comfortable, I was pretty surprised by that. 

I'm only making this reply in order to possibly help others give it a look without just using your negative thoughts on the game as their only reference.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124

The best mmo I've played In years, this weekend has Been great. This game is more sandbox than most sandbox mmos, with all the classes and jobs etc Ive finally got an mmo worth playing, vanilla wow was the last mmo that showed this much promise. Tab targeting( cool), no action crap (cool) some real character progression that takes some time (cool) and loads of room to explore. 

Would have loved full open world with no load screens but guess u can thank ps3 for that. Awsome game though

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The game has great story and characters, all of that FF charm that makes the series memorable and so loved across the world.

The mechanics are not revolutionary, but they are solid and the pacing is well done - just enough to feel like you are earning and achieving something without making it punishing.

The way the game introduces you to new mechanics, the forced grouping and classic trinity mechanics, and especially the encounter designs that actually make you pay attention and play your role instead of just mindless AoE or ability spam...

I really look forward to higher level dungeons and raids, HOUSING OMG that's a big one I can't wait for, I haven't had a good MMO with a good housing system to play with since UO.

The atmosphere, armor, character design, zones, monsters...

If you like Final Fantasy and MMOs, this game is a 100% sure thing. You must purchase it.

It feels more like an adventure.

An adventure that feels like a MMO - you get the sense very early on that you are just a part of something greater, not the one true hero to save the realm* but a true community. A collective of people trying to help the realm.

This is a game you'll want to get in on early, as they'll release tons of expansions and new classes and jobs and raids and dungeons and PvP systems and more housing... I mean, FFXI has been running 11 years with tons of expansions and content, no reason to think FFXIV will not be the same.

Even if the game isn't #1 or 2 or even #3 or 4 in the West, it's already broke records for number of concurrent players in a beta in Japan - it's going to be popular there for a long time (as are all things Final Fantasy.)

• spaniard81spaniard81 Member Posts: 59
    Those are lame excuses for the devs to dumb down the genre... DO you think there were not adults playing EQ oR DAOC back in the day? Adults that had jobs and a family to support? Do you think some of those same people do not have jobs and family now that want the old ways back? All of those people at the Soe/EQ conventions are well arounded hard working adults.. Yup look up past EQ fan faires... Alot of those people got their families to be apart of their hobby and thats what it was.. Go look at the recent SoE live videos and see how many people over 25 to 30 where there..

Sorry to break it to you but your time is no more precious than anyone elses.. You dont have time for the hobby you used to enjoy so you ask the devs to charge everything to make it easy for you.. Meanwhile that dumbs down the game for everyone and the genre turns into something completely different.. 10 years from now its going to be even worse and people like you will remember back and think what happened...

That's the thing though, I don't think it has been dumbed down. GW2, for example, allows me more time to play now that I don't have to run back and forward in the quests, I can just keep on moving. The combat style in GW2 I believe is more dynamic than just standing there (just to name two examples off the top of my head)

I know there were adults playing the "traditional" games becaues I was one of them. Of course I know my time is not more valuable than anyone else's , that's why I'm not opposed to the "traditional" games. I never asked the devs for anything. I just quit the games cause I couldn't play them anymore. GW2 allows my wife and I to play, especiallly since there are no monthly fees to play.

What bothers me is the elitist notion that mmos have to be a certain way, only for the few and not for the masses. From their perspective, its all about money, from our perspective, its about what we enjoy playing and what we have time for. The elitist attittude bothers me because it not only supports a very narrow-minded gaming mechanic, but it criticizes all others and attempts to diminish those who support them.

I have no problem with the elitists playing their "traditional" games, why do you guys have to have a problem with us playing our "new" games?

If you don't like the "new" games, then don't play them, just like I stoppoed playing the "traditional" games. If the genre has changed so much that you no longer are able to have fun while playing, then maybe its time to find a different hobby. The day mmos stop being accessible for me to play and have fun, I'll find something else fun to do.

Play and let play!

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

This is a traditional theme park MMO, it has been stated by people playing it, and even the devs that this is what it is. It offers tons of quest hubs, epic story quest lines, class specific quest lines, 24 person raids, multiple ways to do an instance, pvp, etc.

If you're older than 15, then you have most likely played a Final Fantasy game before, and you knew exactly what to expect with cut scenes and bubble text. There will be voice overs in the final version, and  there are plenty of voice overs.  I personally do not enjoy cut scenes much and I feel like there could be a few too many, but I also knew I was going into a Final Fantasy game, so I expected it.

Combat to me was a little weird getting used to, as I do not like global cool downs, but I got used to it, and it's alright.. nothing ground breaking but it's good.

the instances are traditional instances, and I find them very nostalgic and fun to play through. I also like that you need to follow the quest lines in order to gain access to them.

PVP is coming in manny different ways, RvRvR, Battle grounds, and I believe one more. I personally would have preferred a zone where you could walk into where PVP was active with PVE quest hubs, but it seems open world pvp is coming a thing of the past (unfortunately).

I don't know if this game will be my next "big mmo" that I drop all my spare time and love into, but I'd say it's a pretty damn good theme park mmo that I will enjoy for a hand full of months forsure.

Killing dragons is my shit

Originally posted by spaniard81

That's the thing though, I don't think it has been dumbed down. GW2, for example, allows me more time to play now that I don't have to run back and forward in the quests, I can just keep on moving. The combat style in GW2 I believe is more dynamic than just standing there (just to name two examples off the top of my head)

I know there were adults playing the "traditional" games becaues I was one of them. Of course I know my time is not more valuable than anyone else's , that's why I'm not opposed to the "traditional" games. I never asked the devs for anything. I just quit the games cause I couldn't play them anymore. GW2 allows my wife and I to play, especiallly since there are no monthly fees to play.

What bothers me is the elitist notion that mmos have to be a certain way, only for the few and not for the masses. From their perspective, its all about money, from our perspective, its about what we enjoy playing and what we have time for. The elitist attittude bothers me because it not only supports a very narrow-minded gaming mechanic, but it criticizes all others and attempts to diminish those who support them.

I have no problem with the elitists playing their "traditional" games, why do you guys have to have a problem with us playing our "new" games?

If you don't like the "new" games, then don't play them, just like I stoppoed playing the "traditional" games. If the genre has changed so much that you no longer are able to have fun while playing, then maybe its time to find a different hobby. The day mmos stop being accessible for me to play and have fun, I'll find something else fun to do.

Play and let play!

Almost every MMORPG out today is to cater to people like you... the casual I dont have time to play but want the rewards of playing a MMO(also make sure its not too hard or I will quit).. You guys have so many games made for your playstyle yet its never enough.. Just because the old schoolers want a game that feels like the old school MMORPGs we are selfish and elitist. Yet you casual guys cant even stick to one mondern day MMO for a year.. I played EQ for 4 years without playing any other MMO.. Now who is the elitist again? So you guys get all these new mmos to play and its your playstyle yet you tell us old schoolers to go back to EQ and DAOC...

• shockwaved1shockwaved1 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Don't feed the trolls. This game is fantastic , if your looking for fast action combat you came to the wrong place and as for pvp was what is the big deal . If you want to pvp go play DFUW or something . I say this time and time again but what do u want new in a game ???? There is not a whole lot more that u can add to mmorpg's anymore that has not already been thought of with a few exceptions for example some of the new additions upcoming in EQ Next. If your decision is based off of playing a game and getting 15 levels in then that is just sad. With the talent thing that u mentioned I think the class/job system is better . U can play multiple classes all on one character with the switch of a gearset . And the comes the Jobs that u can even more go in depth with your character creating a whole new experience. Talents trees are just bleh. Whats ur build ?? What ur build?? that crap is old . This game is beautiful , the control is great , and the gameplay from my prospective is quite fun. O and for the people that knock on the first quests on having to kill lady bugs or squirrels let me say something if you were a new and young adventurer would u just immediately go out and slay a giant wolf or beast ? I don't think so.... :)
  • PsycheiPsychei Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by shockwaved1
    Don't feed the trolls. This game is fantastic , if your looked for fast action combat you came to the wrong place and as for pvp was what is the big deal . If you want to pvp go play DFUW or something . I say this time and time again but what do u want new in a game ???? There is not a whole lot more that u can add to mmorpg's anymore that has not already been thought of with a few exceptions for example some of the new additions upcoming in EQ Next. If you decision is based off of playing a game and getting 15 levels in then that is just sad. With the talent thing that u mentioned I think the class/job system is better . U can play multiple classes all on one character with the switch of a gearset . And the comes the Jobs that u can even more go in depth with your character creating a whole new experience. Talents trees are just bleh. Whats ur build ?? What ur build?? that crap is old . This game is beautiful , the control is great , and the gameplay from my prospective is quite fun. O and for the people that knock on the first quests on having to kill lady bugs or squirrels let me say something if you were a new and young adventurer would u just immediately go out and slay a giant wolf or beast ? I don't think so.... :)

I may go slay a giant immediately, I don't know if I should make this information public, but at like level 5 I found out I was the crystal bearer, I know I am totally awesome, and hey since I am the crystal bearer if you ever need help in game hit me up ;)

That is just it, yes u start having flashes of what your will be or what your purpose is in the game but that doesn't make you Mr. Almighty immediately cause at the point in the game u don't even know your class.
  • Aplus007Aplus007 Member Posts: 13
    The real FF Fans play them for Multiplayer Team work not PVP.....Thats why i am so so glad this game is P2P = 98% Troll free unlike F2P with the fucked up community and its so unprofessional and it exploits the game for its flaws for example "League of Legends" it's just getting shittier and shittier 
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Curious

Why do people counter the "I dont like this game" argument with "you must play it more later on it starts to kick ass"

Because too me thats counter productive, how many of us eat food and after the first / second bite we realise we can't stand it, do you carry on eating in the hope that it tastes better later on, or do you just pass and get something else.

Fact is the games industry is the same as dining , if people dont enjoy it from the off, what most people will do is leave the game, infact i saw some studies few years back that suggest if a player within 2hours of turning the game on, doesn't get the joy then they will not play. The day that developers get this in their head the better... (maybe this is what blizz clicked onto with their games)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

Originally posted by Quazal.A

Curious

Why do people counter the "I dont like this game" argument with "you must play it more later on it starts to kick ass"

Because too me thats counter productive, how many of us eat food and after the first / second bite we realise we can't stand it, do you carry on eating in the hope that it tastes better later on, or do you just pass and get something else.

Fact is the games industry is the same as dining , if people dont enjoy it from the off, what most people will do is leave the game, infact i saw some studies few years back that suggest if a player within 2hours of turning the game on, doesn't get the joy then they will not play. The day that developers get this in their head the better... (maybe this is what blizz clicked onto with their games)

I believe Blizz uses subliminal message in their game they trigger the same addictive part of your brain as heroin, and I agree everyone has the right to like and dislike a game and we shouldn't get all touchy if someone does not like ours, just play and have fun, you don't want haters in your game, don't try to convince them to give it another shot. Besides this game hit as home run and the fans are gonna stick with.

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by jayvierl

I agree. No pvp? Wtf? Other than that, I love the game. 

But come on. NO PVP? Get real Square Enix. This is your second try at the game. Atleast incorporate the mmo aspects we all love and enjoy.

This is a FINAL FANTASY game... It's 99% focused on PvE...

This is not and will never be a PvP game lol... If you want to PvP, you should try to find another game because in FFXIV the PvP aspect will always come second to the PvE. Sorry to disapoint you lol...

• agentsi1511agentsi1511 Member UncommonPosts: 47

[mod edit]

I've played most MMO's out there and to say Rift is better than this is just laughable. Rift is the epitome of clunky/unresponsive combat. Not to mention having what 8 or 9 talent trees that all vary slightly. For a game that is so much about creating your own spec and playing it, the community will laugh you out of instances if you arent the best cookie cutter spec for your specific class.

I'm not here to say FFXIV is going to be the best game ever made. But this game is made to cater to the FF fan base, and it does that extremely well. He didn't even understand how the classes/jobs worked. Or how to advance your character through mastering/leveling the other classes. What FFXIV has is typically a good community, nicer than average player base, and a connection with the game you just don't get with most other MMO's. Voice acting on their time table would not of been worthwhile, which is why only certain parts of the story quest have voice acting. And if you click through all of it because you don't care about the story, wtf are you even complaining about?

Originally posted by agentsi1511

[mod edit]

I've played most MMO's out there and to say Rift is better than this is just laughable. Rift is the epitome of clunky/unresponsive combat. Not to mention having what 8 or 9 talent trees that all vary slightly. For a game that is so much about creating your own spec and playing it, the community will laugh you out of instances if you arent the best cookie cutter spec for your specific class.

I'm not here to say FFXIV is going to be the best game ever made. But this game is made to cater to the FF fan base, and it does that extremely well. He didn't even understand how the classes/jobs worked. Or how to advance your character through mastering/leveling the other classes. What FFXIV has is typically a good community, nicer than average player base, and a connection with the game you just don't get with most other MMO's. Voice acting on their time table would not of been worthwhile, which is why only certain parts of the story quest have voice acting. And if you click through all of it because you don't care about the story, wtf are you even complaining about?

Touche

Great post!

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

This game was made for Final Fantasy fans in a Final Fantasy world.  All the mechanics revolve around that.  Yoshi already stated he made this game for a niche market, the FF market, not for the usual roaming MMO player audience that games like SWTOR and GW2 were made for.

Its pretty simple, if you don't like Final Fantasy you will not like this game.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

All of the information I am getting from reading the various post open beta forum threads is that FFXIV will do a very good job of separating gamers with distinctively different play styles and preferences.  This is a very good thing for the FFXIV community.  In doing so it will succeed in weeding out many, if not all, of the undesirables who would otherwise log into FFXIV and ruin an otherwise enjoyable and cooperative community, comprised of like minded players. 

Just imagine a community devoid of F2P freeloaders, PvP E-peeners, "FPS action combat" MMORPG wanna be gamers," the "I am too lazy to read GIVE ME VO NAO" types, and the various other dissidents.  I mean, how great would that be?  So how about stop trying to convince the "Doom-N-Gloom Shills" and let them spout their "game is awful" nonsense.  Because you who are enjoying the game may not realize it, but this is actually the biggest gift to the community these anti-FFXIV folks could ever give you, and that is a community devoid of their poisonous presence. 

A true blessing indeed.  

<3 Final Fantasy ARR , NUFF SAID .  Didn't mean to burst ur bubble either ... lol
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I'm already having withdrals haha