Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] WildStar: Revenue Model Revealed

Comments

• doug200463doug200463 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    My last comment: Good luck Carbine.. see you in a year, when you go free to play :)
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Fantastic news !

I love the P2P payment model, because it suits my gaming style. One 12-month sub for access to EVERYTHING in the game world is a total bargain. It would cost me at least 5 times as much to get access to everything in a F2P game.

Sure, in most F2P games I could play to level-cap for free. But half the fun (for me) is to earn the perks and cosmetic items in the game world. 

When can I pre-order ? image

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Damn it all! I was the biggest Wildstar fanboy, and now with this going P2P the person I wanted to play it with won't play and I do not plan on playing the game alone so I'm going to have to sit out on this one until it goes free/buy and we can play.

Looks like this Gen i'll be moving to consoles, PS4 here i come!

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• ZeroPointNRGZeroPointNRG Member Posts: 70
    awesome news
  • DedishDedish Member Posts: 1

After reading most of these comments all I have to say is wow really? The amount of self entitlement is astounding.

Some of  you honestly think people are leaving wow because it is sub based? No, people are leaving wow because it is dated, blizz has changed it to much ie talent trees and other things plus have dumb the game down so much that the old school players got fed up.

I am so sick how every time a new mmo comes it it is called a wow clone. You don't think wow is a clone of other mmo's older then wow itself, like everquest, daoc and others? Really?

It's simple you get what you pay for and you can't expect a game with constant content updates and new content added without paying a sub. Don't even bring up Guild Wars 2, it is a horrible game with no end game and is just one huge ass grind fest for cosmetic crap.

Personally I'm glad it is going to be sub based. That should keep the kids  and the undesirables out. If you can't afford 15 bucks a month then honestly you shouldn't be spending your time playing games to begin with and should go get your broke ass another job. 

If you want free to play games please stick to console games and leave the online pc gaming to the big boys.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by seegeekrun
    Originally posted by kaz350

I'm SHOCKED at the amount of people that would perfer F2P over a sub...for $15 you get the ENTIRE GAME !!

You dont have to pay for your

1. helmet show/not show
    2. your last name visable
    3. Special story quest
    4. mounts
    5. compainions
    6. flavor gear
    7. bag space
    8. bank bag space
    9. pets
    10. clearly P2W style enchants
    11. Passes to PVP
    12. Passes to Dungeons
    13. Passes to Raid
    14. Dyes for gear
    15. items to change your gear to other looks

Need I go on? You people are INSANE!!!

It's an interesting point. I suspect most diehard F2P players will counter that they have no interesting in those things, which is perfectly reasonable.

Though, I would be curious to see that revenue numbers a month per user that are spent in the different payment models. Unfortunately, I don't think there's such a degree of transparency from the various companies.

super casual folks aside....

The fluff I can understand, but passes for major content? Which those passes are usually extremely limited. You're missing so much, and purchasing them is a rip off. Lets take TOR for example. Pay close to ten bucks or so, for a few days of play.... or.... Pay 15 and get everything for 30 days? Plus free points to spend.

The cheapest way to go is sub three months, get the free points, use them to unlock access fully for things you want, play free a month or so, rinse repeat. Yet more prefer to go piecemeal (like it's cheaper) If's confusing because it isn't. There's just too much you can't do. That would be fine in TOR if say every single level could be done through the class stories, there just isn't enough of that, and the game really deteriorates due to it.Too many filler quests in between, and not nearly enough distractions from it without paying extra. You're stuck essentially grinding fed-ex and kill quests, with long boring hikes in between. For someone extremely casual yeah I can get that being okay. Yet someone actually wanting bang for their buck?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

"The important part about going F2P or Subscription isn’t the revenue model, says Jeremy, it’s “whether the game’s any good.  Quality speaks louder than cost.” It doesn’t hurt, he added, that with a subscription model, players know they’re not getting part of the game, they’re getting it all."

Simply that $10-$15 per month is VERY CHEAP in terms of entertainment dollars. It won't even buy you movie tickets and a bag of popcorn. Yes, the guys that play a dozen MMO's per month won't go for it...that's a bad deal financialy for them, F2P is the model for them. However the guys who are doing that don't make up the majority of the gaming audience....and clearly not this MMO's target audience. What Jeremy said is right on target as far as I'm concerned.....the vast majority of gamers aren't going to base thier primary decision to play a game or not based on it's business model....and they aren't going to refuse to shell out $10-15 per month on something that they get alot of entertainment from.

The PRIMARY concern for ANY game is simply whether it's FUN or not......and for MMO's whether that FUN is sustainable in the long term.  That's an open question for Wildstar.....but someone that's willing to shell out $15-20 to see a mediocre movie for 2 hours isn't likely to avoid shelling out $10-15 for a really entertaining MMO for 10-20 hours of play time per month.

The problem with alot of recent MMO's is that they just haven't been all that entertaining to play for more then a couple months.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Thats great news!!! and thank god it isnt f2p with a nickel and dimming cash shop.
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Dedish

After reading most of these comments all I have to say is wow really? The amount of self entitlement is astounding.

Some of  you honestly think people are leaving wow because it is sub based? No, people are leaving wow because it is dated, blizz has changed it to much ie talent trees and other things plus have dumb the game down so much that the old school players got fed up.

I am so sick how every time a new mmo comes it it is called a wow clone. You don't think wow is a clone of other mmo's older then wow itself, like everquest, daoc and others? Really?

It's simple you get what you pay for and you can't expect a game with constant content updates and new content added without paying a sub. Don't even bring up Guild Wars 2, it is a horrible game with no end game and is just one huge ass grind fest for cosmetic crap.

Personally I'm glad it is going to be sub based. That should keep the kids  and the undesirables out. If you can't afford 15 bucks a month then honestly you shouldn't be spending your time playing games to begin with and should go get your broke ass another job. 

If you want free to play games please stick to console games and leave the online pc gaming to the big boys.

So says a new account hear hear!  Your last statement also told me all I needed to know about your future posts.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    I have no problem paying for quality.
  • jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I'm curious as to how current AAA games in development will respond if Wildstar is successfull at the subscripton model.  I personally love the subscription model.  Too many emersion breaking in game store ads while playing on most F2P games.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by jerlot65
    I'm curious as to how current AAA games in development will respond if Wildstar is successfull at the subscripton model.  I personally love the subscription model.  Too many emersion breaking in game store ads while playing on most F2P games.

Wildstar success will be the end of the so called AAA f2p mmos.

• seegeekrunseegeekrun Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by seegeekrun
    Originally posted by kaz350

I'm SHOCKED at the amount of people that would perfer F2P over a sub...for $15 you get the ENTIRE GAME !!

You dont have to pay for your

1. helmet show/not show
    2. your last name visable
    3. Special story quest
    4. mounts
    5. compainions
    6. flavor gear
    7. bag space
    8. bank bag space
    9. pets
    10. clearly P2W style enchants
    11. Passes to PVP
    12. Passes to Dungeons
    13. Passes to Raid
    14. Dyes for gear
    15. items to change your gear to other looks

Need I go on? You people are INSANE!!!

It's an interesting point. I suspect most diehard F2P players will counter that they have no interesting in those things, which is perfectly reasonable.

Though, I would be curious to see that revenue numbers a month per user that are spent in the different payment models. Unfortunately, I don't think there's such a degree of transparency from the various companies.

super casual folks aside....

The fluff I can understand, but passes for major content? Which those passes are usually extremely limited. You're missing so much, and purchasing them is a rip off. Lets take TOR for example. Pay close to ten bucks or so, for a few days of play.... or.... Pay 15 and get everything for 30 days? Plus free points to spend.

The cheapest way to go is sub three months, get the free points, use them to unlock access fully for things you want, play free a month or so, rinse repeat. Yet more prefer to go piecemeal (like it's cheaper) If's confusing because it isn't. There's just too much you can't do. That would be fine in TOR if say every single level could be done through the class stories, there just isn't enough of that, and the game really deteriorates due to it.Too many filler quests in between, and not nearly enough distractions from it without paying extra. You're stuck essentially grinding fed-ex and kill quests, with long boring hikes in between. For someone extremely casual yeah I can get that being okay. Yet someone actually wanting bang for their buck?

There is a certain amount of shortsightedness that I see with players focusing on the per month charge versus the six or twelve month costs.  I've always paid upfront to get the lowest per month amount.  Why would anyone want to pay more per month? As if it were difficult to see more than a month or two into the future.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

How naive to think that CREDD will stop gold sellers and spammers. Here's how it will work: Carbine will sell you a tradeable month's sub for $19.99. This will sell in the AH for x,xxx gold. The gold sellers will sell you x,xxx gold for $6.66. That's how it works currently in Rift.

All they're accomplishing with this is they're setting the upper limit on the cost of gold...and they're selling you gold at an inflated price.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

"So says a new account hear hear!  Your last statement also told me all I needed to know about your future posts."

What does the fact I made a new account have to do with anything? I've been playing online mmo's since EQ 1 was released. So what I made a new account to post my opinions. I have enough forum accounts else where, do I really need to be a member of every site that talks about mmo's to have a valid opinion? 

I saw something I wanted to comment on and needed to make a account to do so...bottom line. Your ignorance is simply mind blowing.

So your first post on said account is to come in and bash others of a community you just signed up with? I am not sure what your credentials and other forum accounts have to do with your presentation on this site. I never said your opinion wasn't valid but I implied that it was your tone that was all wrong. Calling those that don't agree with the model "kids" and "undesirables" while  attacking peoples opinions of the sub model by claiming they can't afford it are pretty shitty ways to present your opinions. Like I said, "Your last statement told me all I need to know about your future posts." My ignorance indeed.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Going F2P in 5,4,3.... (months)

Seriously, I don't see P2P as viable model today. Unless, of course the game is awesome. We shall wait and see. I hope Wildstars becomes a sucess with at least 500k active subscribers after 1 year.

• jck87jck87 Member UncommonPosts: 54

For me the main reason not to sub to ANY game is the fact that I hate to be pressured for time. Once I buy something I want to make the most of it and the 30 day limit almost forces me to play whenever I can. I don't want that I prefer to be a casual gamer and maybe play 4 hours a month which with a sub is too expensive. Even the so called CREDD system doesn't take that issue away.

I think this model completely forgets about the casual players which is a shame. Buy to play would have been fine for me. Microtransaction ok too. Even buying game time in hours instead of months would have worked, but I dislike where the seem to be heading.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by jck87

For me the main reason not to sub to ANY game is the fact that I hate to be pressured for time. Once I buy something I want to make the most of it and the 30 day limit almost forces me to play whenever I can. I don't want that I prefer to be a casual gamer and maybe play 4 hours a month which with a sub is too expensive. Even the so called CREDD system doesn't take that issue away.

I think this model completely forgets about the casual players which is a shame. Buy to play would have been fine for me. Microtransaction ok too. Even buying game time in hours instead of months would have worked, but I dislike where the seem to be heading.

Maybe you're not the target market?  I don't go into a pizza joint and complain that I can't order salmon and baked potatoes.  I believe the MMORPG genre as a whole has come far enough that there are now market segments.  The F2P segment is currently being provided for with hundreds of F2P games.

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Awesome. Will keep the spammers and FTP jerkoff community away. A lit bummed about the release pushback, but was half expecting it...as long as GW2 keep their 2-week content updates til then, I'll be OK ;)
  • Prenho2Prenho2 Member Posts: 9
    Themepark + 2003 graphics in 2013...
  • andersalesandersales Member UncommonPosts: 8

This way you can get gold legally. If you have money you can buy how many CREDD you want then exchange this for gold and basically buy what you want from the auction house. You can pay to win, the difference is that you will be buying gold from the Carbine.

Any game where u can buy gold, you can pay to win! 

Sorry my bad english...

• ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    It looks like another WoW clone with different setting and, although this new setting might be fun for a while, I can't see the same quest grind/Raid model game doing well long term with a subscription (I mean name 1 that has since WoW).

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Kudos Carbine! I believe that them picking P2P over F2P or B2P is more than just simply picking a payment model. It really seems like a turning point of some dev studios in realizing that trying to obtain WoW-like numbers is not really a intelligent goal to shoot for. Start your base small and stable and work your way to a reachable goal. A sustainable goal. No need trying to appeal to the mass market when all you need is a solid game, with a solid playerbase and a smart, steady stream of content.

Thank you jeezus! We may finally see the days of investors, publishers and devs trying to chase that magical dragon called WoW come to an end!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by jck87

The problem is that MMO's provide a service.  That service comes at a price.  So whether you pay for it by monthly subs and by being bombarded with CS ads, you will pay for it. 

If you want a game you pay for and then just play constantly for free then theres plenty of SPRPG's out there for you.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Figured it was going to be something like this. Still hasnt changed the appeal for me. While some may compare this to WoW, and they would be right, its the scifi edge that has me intrigued. I would prob SAVE money with a sub model compared to the Gem Store on GW2. But the proof is in the gameplay. We will see....