Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] WildStar: Revenue Model Revealed

Comments

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I don't understand why people think a sub model "keeps the kids out".  I can understand that people are going to be more invested into the game and aren't just going to log on to troll, but the $60 price already takes care of this.  Sub models are dated especially at a $15 price tag when upkeep on the game has been proven to be significantly lower than that.  People seem to consider WoW full of kids and yet that uses a sub model.  How exactly is the sub model keeping kids out anymore than a B2P model? 

I'm definitely someone who is in favor of a FAIR B2P model (like the one used in MOBAs) over a sub model since subscriptions are basically a needless waste of money to me.  With all the cosmetic possibilities in Wildstar through things like minipets, housing items, cosmetic clothing, and other fun aesthetic items I'm really surprised they went the no cash shop route.

I'd argue the CREED system benefits Wildstar developers the most as that's a $5 extra premium they get for people who want to benefit off the CREED system in both aspects (which I can only imagine will be the majority of hardcore players and a few whales who want control over the market) and maybe even a way to get revenue indirectly from players who wouldn't normally want to pay for a subscription similarly to how free players are paid for by whales in F2P games.  The only major negative I see the system having is that it gives whale players way too much control over the market so depending on how important the basic currency is in Wildstar this could have a negative impact in the long run over the economy.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

it's healthy "sum" author, not "some".

And why are there so many replies to this article, do people actually give a crap about this game? 

Sadly, there's a huge amount of inconsistency in the mmo fanbase when it comes to buying power.  Money in these games is power.  It certainly was in EVE, and it will be in Wildstar.  When a game does NOT allow these transactions, the fanboys are in total agreement that anyone who buys gold should be castrated immediately, perhaps even cutting in front of pedos in the castration line.

But when a game allows it, fanboys make all sorts of apologies and excuses and argue all day long that it's not pay2win (which can mean any number of things, so they get to pretend they win that argument when it means nothing to do so).

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by BrooksTech
    F2P is a trend that is nearing the end of its run.  I, for one, am very happy about this.

You're forgetting about the upcoming big-kids on the block, EQn and Titan, both of which are slated for F2P.

Titan was confirmed as not being sub based, but they mentioned nothing about it being "F2P".

You were saying?

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/blizzards-titan-looking-at-a-f2p-model/

"Blizzard’s Upcoming MMO, Titan, will have a free to play model!"

You should probably stop reading only headlines and actually read the content of the article you quoted...

And I quote, "unlikely to be a subscription-based"....which is exactly what I just said...it will not be subscription based, but they havent confirmed F2P.

That article literally states "Blizzard could go the buy to play route", confirming that the only thing thus far confirmed is no subscription....this is getting too easy....you literally proved yourself wrong :P

MMORPG.com forum logic strikes again ;)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    F2P is a trend that is nearing the end of its run.  I, for one, am very happy about this.

You're forgetting about the upcoming big-kids on the block, EQn and Titan, both of which are slated for F2P.

Titan was confirmed as not being sub based, but they mentioned nothing about it being "F2P".

You were saying?

You should probably stop reading only headlines and actually read the content of the article you quoted...

And I quote, "unlikely to be a subscription-based"....which is exactly what I just said...it will not be subscription based, but they havent confirmed F2P.

That article literally states "Blizzard could go the buy to play route", confirming that the only thing thus far confirmed is no subscription....this is getting too easy....you literally proved yourself wrong :P

Wait what? What is there besides sub or f2p? What are they going to charge by skittles or something?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

You were saying?

Blizzard as plenty of time to figure out what's going on with their business model without making any commitments just yet. You know dam well, they are looking at things like GW2, EQN, FF14, EVE, Now, Wild Star and are going to see what looks best.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Blizzard as plenty of time to figure out what's going on with their business model without making any commitments just yet. You know dam well, they are looking at things like GW2, EQN, FF14, EVE, Now, Wild Star and are going to see what looks best.

My guess is they're holding their cards until they see how EQn handles their exact business plan, and will go from there.

You were saying?

Wait what? What is there besides sub or f2p? What are they going to charge by skittles or something?

Buy to play...you know...what GW2 and TSW are?....please dont tell me you frequent this site and didnt know that?

Let me guess, you are going to imply B2P and F2P are the same thing now in order to save face? lol

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Am I missing something. Who does Wildstar have as a major backer?  Sub models are just difficult to pull off. As mentioned, Wildstar would be the second this year, with Mega company Square being the 1st one and most likely to succeed because of it's IP.  

With Elder Scroll, EverNext and Archage on the horizon, this seems like a poor business move on Wildstar's side being a new IP and not having the major clout.  

Blizzard is in the same boat as Square, great IP, large company backing it.  Man Wildstar, just feel like they tanked the game before it started. 

• THEchad88THEchad88 Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by AIMonster

I don't understand why people think a sub model "keeps the kids out".  I can understand that people are going to be more invested into the game and aren't just going to log on to troll, but the $60 price already takes care of this.  Sub models are dated especially at a $15 price tag when upkeep on the game has been proven to be significantly lower than that.  People seem to consider WoW full of kids and yet that uses a sub model.  How exactly is the sub model keeping kids out anymore than a B2P model? 

I'm definitely someone who is in favor of a FAIR B2P model (like the one used in MOBAs) over a sub model since subscriptions are basically a needless waste of money to me.  With all the cosmetic possibilities in Wildstar through things like minipets, housing items, cosmetic clothing, and other fun aesthetic items I'm really surprised they went the no cash shop route.

I'd argue the CREED system benefits Wildstar developers the most as that's a $5 extra premium they get for people who want to benefit off the CREED system in both aspects (which I can only imagine will be the majority of hardcore players and a few whales who want control over the market) and maybe even a way to get revenue indirectly from players who wouldn't normally want to pay for a subscription similarly to how free players are paid for by whales in F2P games.  The only major negative I see the system having is that it gives whale players way too much control over the market so depending on how important the basic currency is in Wildstar this could have a negative impact in the long run over the economy.

It DOESN'T keep the "kids" out. WoW has always been P2P and everyone who ever played it always bumped into "UNDESIREABLES" or kids as you've stated. 

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Free to play at the end of 2014 or mid 2015.

Also pity on all you fools that keep saying this doomed to change anyway P2P model will keep a certain type of player out. Have never heard of anything more stupid before.

Keep dreaming THAT and you hopes and dreams will crash just like the subscription model before too long.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by Flex1
    Free to play at the end of 2014 or mid 2015.

That would totally suck. I loathe and despise those that require subsidized gaming and I don't want to be a darn part of that!

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Won't the credd system just get exploited? Look at games like GW2 and Neverwinter.  People will find ways to cheat the system and rack up vast sums of money which will cause in game money to have very little value.

And as in game cash looses value, the cost of sub goes up which means only farmers will be able to afford it.

This will ruin the in game economy, so the price of everything rare bought with in game cash will be high and basic loot will be cheap as farmers dump it onto the market.

Btw EQN which also has cartoon graphics, but is more sandbox could be releasing that same year (not to mention ESO), so how does Wildstar plan to retain its base, since it HAS to?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Subscription model..? I'll pass and wait for the game to become B2P or F2P in the future. All other NCSoft titles are already F2P/B2P and this one will become that pretty quickly as well I guess...
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Faith in the industry restored... will be nice to play a game without the remoras fending for scraps of the sharks back!

Count me in for (1) box and (6) month sub!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Magicabbage

Well that settles it. I won't be getting it. I have so many quality games that are F2P that there is no reason to pay a monthly fee. That model is old and dated. The typical "13.99" a month? Really? Why not some random arbitrary number like 5.99? It's not the price that makes me shy away. It's the fact that I don't want to pay anything unless I want some "skins" or mounts or housing stuff or bag slots.

The game looks great and fun and I don't care if the game is a "WoW clone" (I hate that term)

I am kind of happy this is their model choice. It's one less game I have to worry about getting. With Elder Scrolls Online and EQNext on the horizon I can just now follow them.

Peace!

Why do you worry about getting a game? Its literally people like you, who hop form F2P game to F2P game and utterly kill the community, that P2P gamers are hoping to avoide. This isnt Call of Duty or Unreal Tournament....

P2P people always say this (I guess that was your MMORPG.com logic eh), but then when a game crashes and burns and has to go F2P they always pull out excuses how the devs did this and that to ruin the game or they would still sub.  However, they're very excited for the next game on the horizon which they hope will be P2P so they can dump it 3 months after release.

If P2P people were so plentiful and committed there wouldn't be a debate over payment models because P2P would have already won.  But they aren't plentiful, and most of all they aren't committed, and their game hopping is just as bad as the F2P players.

I didnt necessarly mean to imply that F2P kills community, I said people exactly like him, who "worry" about playing all these F2P MMOs, hoping from game to game, kill the community. I am sure there are F2P players out there who stick with 1 MMO and help build guilds and clear content etc....and If you want to throw my "mmorpg.com logic" at me...how about you gripe about stuff I actually said, and not stuff ur mad at others for posting lol Check my post history....you will not find me posting about "zomg I cant will till game X comes out"

So yes, you once again confirmed mmorpg.com logic strikes again

Buy to play...you know...what GW2 and TSW are?....please dont tell me you frequent this site and didnt know that?

Let me guess, you are going to imply B2P and F2P are the same thing now in order to save face? lol

What's the difference? I've always felt they're essentially the same thing because long term sales are garnered through the same avenue, cash shops. There's also no reason to be so damn snarky we're just having a conversation here.

"saving face",that would mean I've changed my stance which I haven't, it's just a semantics game.

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89
    I just hope that they will stick to the sub model. If they do, this will most likely be my next mmo, finally. I HATE F2P games with shops..

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I applaud them for adhering to tradition - but that adherence has to be holistic across the game. They've certainly shown enough of innovation and respect for MMO standards, a nice contrast compared to GW2's defiance of MMO standards. If they implement enough content with the awareness that players are locusts, then they'll be fine. They have to have raids, dungeons, ease of life features, and a dynamic world. They have to combine the best of GW2 and WoW to really offer anything of value. Their feature list is impressive, and so far my experiences have been stellar. 

However, I am concerned this won't fare well in the current market conditions. WoW is losing subscribers at an astounding rate and the players don't seem to be willing to adopt new subscription games based off it. However, it may be an issue of supply, not demand. I only hope its content is more substantial and durable than GW2. If their take on end game translates well and their talk manifests into content, then it could be a hit. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Magicabbage

Well that settles it. I won't be getting it. I have so many quality games that are F2P that there is no reason to pay a monthly fee. That model is old and dated. The typical "13.99" a month? Really? Why not some random arbitrary number like 5.99? It's not the price that makes me shy away. It's the fact that I don't want to pay anything unless I want some "skins" or mounts or housing stuff or bag slots.

The game looks great and fun and I don't care if the game is a "WoW clone" (I hate that term)

I am kind of happy this is their model choice. It's one less game I have to worry about getting. With Elder Scrolls Online and EQNext on the horizon I can just now follow them.

Peace!

Why do you worry about getting a game? Its literally people like you, who hop form F2P game to F2P game and utterly kill the community, that P2P gamers are hoping to avoide. This isnt Call of Duty or Unreal Tournament....

P2P people always say this (I guess that was your MMORPG.com logic eh), but then when a game crashes and burns and has to go F2P they always pull out excuses how the devs did this and that to ruin the game or they would still sub.  However, they're very excited for the next game on the horizon which they hope will be P2P so they can dump it 3 months after release.

If P2P people were so plentiful and committed there wouldn't be a debate over payment models because P2P would have already won.  But they aren't plentiful, and most of all they aren't committed, and their game hopping is just as bad as the F2P players.

Except there is still a really solid argument to be made for it though.

SWTOR had 2M people lined up ready willing and able to pay for an ongoing subscription when the game released. Most of those players knew full well, that by purchasing SWTOR, they'd have to pay 15 bucks/month to keep playing it. Still, they bought it. It went F2P because it failed to deliver on a long term investment. Not because it was P2P to start.

• THEchad88THEchad88 Member Posts: 38

You were saying?

WOAH, easy does it there oh condescending one. Lets not bash folks who may not know everything there is to know out there and educate and increase the community in a positive way. Course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

P2P = pay to play (subscription based payment model)

F2P = free to play (no subscription and no up front cost for the game)

B2P = buy to play (one time payment up front and nothing after that)

Did I miss one folks?

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    I'm surprised there's so little talk about the 2014 release date delay... :)

actually as most here either won't be playing the game (Ohh no i have to pay to play this...) or are playing now (or in a week actually) the FF14 ARR - i see no problem here. We will wait till 2014 and see - if FF14 Sub model works then this will as well. Good for customers and Carbin.

Just my 2 cents...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Not all that interested in paying a subscription for any game, but the Commodities Exchange sounds like a really cool idea. Global Agenda did something like this and it worked really well. That idea I really like.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

What's the difference? I've always felt they're essentially the same thing because long term sales are garnered through the same avenue, cash shops. There's also no reason to be so damn snarky we're just having a conversation here.

"saving face",that would mean I've changed my stance which I haven't, it's just a semantics game.

"I've always felt" doesnt in turn make B2P and F2P the same....Rift, SWTOR and Neverwinter are F2P...you dont have to pay a single cent to play them.....GW2 and TSW are B2P...you have to put money down to play them....see? Just because you incorrectly feel something, doesnt mean they are the same thing.

And regarding the "saving face".....twisting your logic to imply B2P and F2P are the same thing, is exactly like changing your stance....

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by THEchad88
    Originally posted by AIMonster

It DOESN'T keep the "kids" out. WoW has always been P2P and everyone who ever played it always bumped into "UNDESIREABLES" or kids as you've stated. 

^^^ THIS    but it does make those with the mindset that P2P = superiority feel better to make that comment distancing their communities from the riff raff. WoW was and still remains the worst cesspool I have ever dipped my toe in. I know I know, it is because it had that many more people than other games but it doesn't detract that it was a sub game with trolls in droves.

As far as Wildstar goes though, I may pass on principle. Not because they are charging a sub, but because they felt the need to make it the usual $15 a month. I have grown to despise that number seeing as how we know that there is little reason to stamp that arbitrary number to it other than because it is the way it has been. I am weird like that I guess.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by THEchad88

You were saying?

WOAH, easy does it there oh condescending one. Lets not bash folks who may not know everything there is to know out there and educate and increase the community in a positive way. Course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

P2P = pay to play (subscription based payment model)

F2P = free to play (no subscription and no up front cost for the game)

B2P = buy to play (one time payment up front and nothing after that)

Did I miss one folks?

I didnt start out snarky, I only got that way when he threw an article at me with a "You were saying?", when the article in question literally proved me right, and him wrong lol. And now hes trying to say hes still right, because he "feels" B2P and F2P are "basically the same thing"...../sigh

MMORPG forum posters have me on edge lately :P