Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: FFXIV - Group Friendly, Elf-less Community?

Comments

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by oakae
    Elves look like an ostrich with heads too small for their bodies.

Square Enix may ask MMORPG to ban my account for breaking the NDA, but... I have to do it!

Here's a brief video of a group of Elezen wandering just outside of Ul'dah!

That was the BEST LAUGH of my day, thanks  :-)  Best part is, its pretty accurate lol

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138
    i think ,as some of you have pointed out, that this is easily explained by the fact the the "giants" and the "cat people" both look cool and have cool animations, the "elves" look so horrible with arms that are way too long and odd heads and necks,i am finally getting into the open beta friday, i am going to make a "cat boy"
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

"16,000 players do paint an interesting picture of what Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn’s community may look like." 

Not at all.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• TorreyHTorreyH Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Of course people are rolling support classes,  since every game now always has (for some god awful reason) abandoned the trinity...

People are excited for a game that has some interdependency and are rolling the support classes they have come to love.

I suspect this is true.  If you like old-school, group-focused MMO's, where else are you going to go? 

• This is one of the skewed polls where someone probably botted a couple answers. One obviously being Roegadyn Hellsguard.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I'd consider an Elezen if they fixed the necks. I really don't know what they were thinking. It was the same thing with Elvaan in FFXI.

I'm going Lallafell since I always thought those types were really neat and scream Final Fantasy. Might be a little weird as a melee job, but I plan to main either a Scholar or White Mage anyways.

• DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I happen to like how the Elezen look.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Namath
    This is one of the skewed polls where someone probably botted a couple answers. One obviously being Roegadyn Hellsguard.

yeah , Roegadyn arent popular and less played race by far

• kantro704kantro704 Member Posts: 3
    • Race: Roegadyn Hellsguard
    • Server: Sargatanas
    • Job (DoW): Arcanist/Summoner
    • Crafting (DoH): Tailoring
    • Gathering (DoL): Miner/Botany
    • Grand Company: Not Sure/Depends on my FC choices.
    • Playstyle: Hardcore

I get the distinct feeling I'm the only person I know who is actually going to play the female Roegadyn. Tall, muscular and beautiful, I actually have never had a problem with their look.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Results from a poll posted to the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn community paint an interesting picture of the community's potential make up. We weigh in on the results in this week's column.

The poll’s race breakdown data is particularly noteworthy to me. Most MMO players would expect the usual suspects (Humans, Elves, insert diminutive race here) to top the charts, but based off the data we’re seeing expect a whole lot of catgirls and boys – and giants. Lots and lots of giants. Elves (Elezen) make up only a total of 7% of respondents while Miqo’te (cat folk) make up 34% and Roegadyn (giants) come in at 23%. Yes, they even beat out Humans (22%).

Read more of Michael Bitton's FFXIV: ARR: The Group Friendly, Elf-less Community?

"Personally, I’m an elf player in most games, but ARR’s gangly, giraffe-necked Elezen just don’t do it for me at all. I’m not sure if other gamers are simply seeing what I’m seeing or people just want to be cats. Probably a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B."

I am guessing Michael that the pointy ears are a significant draw for you in most mmos?

• teakbois2112teakbois2112 Member UncommonPosts: 51

"I still found the results (59%M/41%F) interesting. If the results refer to actual player gender, then there are surprisingly more female players than I would have expected for an MMO."

This isnt surprising in the least.

The last big survey done on WoW (by Nick Yee a couple years ago, results no longer online but some of his old work still is) showed that the female population was in the upper 30% and has showed growth every time hes done a survey.

EQ2 is in the upper 30%s as well.

With more and more females gaming, getting to 41% isnt a shock at all.

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Due to the somewhat limited nature of this particular beta (as opposed to some of the more open and lengthy open betas) I am guessing this poll is not representative of much apart from  fotm snapshot for the beta community as of Beta 3. This is one of the few games lately to have a  significant launch date like back in the day (limited beta, massive hype due to original failure) that will attract substantial attention from the "starved" rpg community therefore it will be a good year before any representative picture of the community could be formed.

My 2 c.  

• emperionemperion Member Posts: 23

• Race: Highlander
    • Server: Ultros
    • Job (DoW): Dragoon
    • Crafting (DoH): Blacksmith
    • Gathering (DoL): Miner
    • Grand Company: Gridania
    • Playstyle: DPS

"Whats That Mr. Death Knocking At Your Door, Who's Gonna Die Tonight?"

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Going Elezen because they will not be plentiful as Hyur and Mi'qote. Damn the head and neck though
    Chamber of Chains
  • VampyVVampyV Member Posts: 2

Race:Miqo’te

Server:Ragnarok

Job (DoW):Thaumaturge

Crafting (DoH):?

Gathering (DoL):?

Grand Company:IDK

Playstyle:Social

• janm69janm69 Member Posts: 1
    • Race:Elezen
    • Server:N/A
    • Job (DoW):Arcanist/Summoner
    • Crafting (DoH):N/A
    • Gathering (DoL):N/A
    • Grand Company:The Order of the Twin Adder
    • Playstyle:DPS/Tank
  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

For me, it's not so much the look, but the running animation of the Elezen. It's a bit too prissy.

Of course, I'm still rolling one over from 1.0 & keeping it real.

Elezen 4 life.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

I went with an Elezen during P3 and I thought it looked pretty good.

Personally I don't mind the look of:

Compared to Miqo'te:

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    MMORPG= Many men online roleplaying girls.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I really hope will be SOLO friendly with a lot of group content for those with a looooot of time. I play actually a lot, but my job does not permit me to schedule my gaming time in advance. Many times I'm back at night when all groups have already been formed. Best ever I have played in this context is Swtor. One can level to max doing just group content or skipping it alltogether.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    ARR will be the MMORPG to play in the second half of 2013 and beyond. Heck, even I am playing it on console. 
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by oakae
    Elves look like an ostrich with heads too small for their bodies.

Ya the Elezen, torso needs to be resized badly LOL

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I think this poll is going to be so far from the actuall truth once the game comes out but it's a good start for me to consider do I want to stay a cat or roll a human. I rolled an elf in every mmo I've played but I was unhappy with the build of my elf in FFXI; so I highly doubt I'll roll an elf in this version of the game. Cat, "Galka like creature" or humans are my options, period.

• Elija7Elija7 Member Posts: 7

• Race: Midlander
    • Server: Midgardsormr (sp?)
    • Job (DoW): Lancer/Dragoon
    • Crafting (DoH): Undecided
    • Gathering (DoL): Undecided
    • Grand Company: Undecided
    • Playstyle: DPS
  • SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by DangerNobuo

I happen to like how the Elezen look.

I agree, except, I wish they could be a little shorter