Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphical difference between PC and PS3 (and PS4)

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

I haven't seen FFXIV: ARR on PS4 yet, but I can show the comparisons between the two graphics between PS3 and PC. I mean not a lot of people can afford a high end PC in which the graphics can destroy PS3. Do graphics matter to you or are you just wanting to play the game on a console? A PS3 right now costs 200 dollars compared to a high end PC at 700.  Especially if you already own one.

PS3 graphics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H90I39KdCU

PC graphics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b721_9WPthU

Comments

• madishiftonemadishiftone Member Posts: 11

I'm liking the game as it is on PS3, and I think it looks pretty nice. However, it for sure looks a bit dated on the PS3 and the PC looks so much better. I'd rather relax and play in front of the television though. ;)

Very much looking forward to how much it will change with PS4. Or at least, I hope they do update it for PS4. I already pre-ordered my PS4 and FFXIV is one of like maybe three games I will have for it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Graphics matter to me. If i am going to play a game with the visual caliber of FF14, TERA, TSW, AoC i better run it smoothly on ultra settings or play another game. Right now on Ultra settings i play FF14 form 35-60 fps depending how many people are nearby. I am definitelly upgrading my PC as soon as i can or ill jsut not play it if every group content takes my fps below 35.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    To me I think on either pc or ps3 it looks good but I am not all about the looks of a game if it plays good and feels good I play it. Beta for both and to me I like how it runs on PS3 and pc so its no biggy here.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    I'd expect PS4 to not have SSAO or the highest resolution shadows, and maybe not Antialiasing. Other than that though it'll probably look similiar to PC, the biggest difference will be the fps. My PC currently runs this on max settings at 80 FPS minimum, usually near 100 fps when I don't have a hundred people running around. The PS4 probably won't touch 60 if there's more than 10 people around.
  • obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82

the ps4s jaguar cpugpu is probably going to be equal to any pc out there even ones with smoking cpus and double gfx cards and will probably run games better

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by obsolete5

the ps4s jaguar cpugpu is probably going to be equal to any pc out there even ones with smoking cpus and double gfx cards and will probably run games better

Except that by the time PS4 is released it is already old tech.

according to ?  similar tech to the pc still has no release date
  • striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    according to ?  similar tech to the pc still has no release date

Technology trends. It's using current generation technology and it comes out at the end of the year? So that is 4-month gap and considering how fast technology changes that is a very long time.

• poyozopoyozo Member UncommonPosts: 33
    My GF is playing on PS3 and Im playing on PC with settings on high. PS3 graphics and animations are horrible compared to PC.
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

$6k dollar pc > ps3, or even the new ps4 as far  as that matters.

although being a ps3 game its stuck in dx9 unless they make a nice dx 11 pc client.

right, when its released similar apu will likely be on pc market as relatively mid range items, but the consoles will be built around using these processors to play games.  pc tech may get better in some aspects but the details of how the processors are used can get overlooked.  for example take killzone 3 for the ps3, its near the end of the ps3s time and runs very smooth and looks amazing, quite possibly better than any pc game available now.  not everything can be explained by just the raw numbers.

not to derail the topic, but for now speculation aside id say if ur on a borderline frame ratey pc the ps3 will ensure a solid framerate at some cost of graphics.  

for myself, i found connecting the pc to the tv gives the best experience.  

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by neorandom

although being a ps3 game its stuck in dx9 unless they make a nice dx 11 pc client.

That is the stupidest comparison ever. I would rightly hope that a $6k PC would beat a $400 gaming console if it wasn't able to then that person got seriously ripped off...

DX 11 will be added with the PS4 launch of the game.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

Also anyone getting horrible FPS drops the people I had been playing with were fine but I have heard a few others are having this issue. The game's auto graphics setting for my laptop are high with everything set to max with FXAA set to x4 but if I leave it at those settings I randomly bounce around between 14-50FPS even simply walking through the same area with no one around so right now I am stuck playing on standard with 1600x900 resolution to avoid major FPS drops.

I have an I7-3610QM

8GB Ram

and a GTX 660m

• simulacrasimulacra Member CommonPosts: 93

Nobody pays $6k for a computer. Unless you're an idiot.

I recently built a computer for $1k.  Intel i5 3570k, 8GB DDR3, Radeon 7850 2GB, SSD, etc. It's very good and runs the game at 1080p on maximum at 45-55fps. If I upgrade anything, it'll be the video card since that's the only thing holding the fps down. I'm waiting on the new Radeon 9xxx series for that. My CPU is fine and barely gets 60% usage during gameplay. 

PC will undoubtably look better on PS4. The reason is that PS4 will cost $400, while a good gaming PC will cost at least $1,000 (if you put it together yourself). I'm sure that Alienware or whatever will mark up the price to $1,500 at least. Just like Sony and Microsoft mark up their consoles. It's not like the hardware actually costs $400. They need to still make a profit. 

I thought about getting a PS4 to play on the couch.. but then I realized that you can still play a PC game on the couch with a gamepad on a big screen. Really no need to play a console that you can never upgrade and will always be subpar to PC.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Breaking news!

Ferrari > Moped.

It would be better to compare PS4 graphics with a PC built on a budget of $400. ( including the cost of mouse and keyboard input devices ) 

could a PC built on current tech for $400 even run FF14?

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

In the following video you can see the differences a little better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0CPRyV7yNw#at=102

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Syno23

I haven't seen FFXIV: ARR on PS4 yet, but I can show the comparisons between the two graphics between PS3 and PC. I mean not a lot of people can afford a high end PC in which the graphics can destroy PS3. Do graphics matter to you or are you just wanting to play the game on a console? A PS3 right now costs 200 dollars compared to a high end PC at 700.  Especially if you already own one.

PS3 graphics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H90I39KdCU

PC graphics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b721_9WPthU

Originally posted by madishiftone

I'm liking the game as it is on PS3, and I think it looks pretty nice. However, it for sure looks a bit dated on the PS3 and the PC looks so much better.

PC indeed looks way better than PS3. The movie with the PS3 gameplay shows little to no detail and the depth of field is very bad. Compared to the PC (wel, mine) the PC wins big-time when it comes to graphics.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13al9n_final-fantasy-xiv-lurkers-in-the-grotto_videogames

Some of the gameplay I recorded yesterday on my PC. Specs in my siggy (not really high-end), but running only 1 GTX460 now since the other one is off for repairs (or replacement) since it broke down last week...

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

No it won't, the PS4 isn't made by a wizard, it won't run on the magic you seem to think it will.  It will be comparable to current mid range graphics cards.

• KesinKesin Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by sayuu

Breaking news!

Ferrari > Moped.

It would be better to compare PS4 graphics with a PC built on a budget of $400. ( including the cost of mouse and keyboard input devices ) 

could a PC built on current tech for $400 even run FF14?

It is possible to do.  I bought a laptop about 2 years ago for school/work for under $400 dollars and it can run FFXIV fine.  Just go to some trade shows or conventions and you can find vendors selling old merchandise for cheap, since they are making room for new items coming down the pipeline. 

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

Graphics have never mattered to me that much, I could play on the PS3 just fine with those looks.

What matters to me more is draw distance and on PS3 during phase 3 it was ultra short. I made a post in the beta forums to give an option/toggle to lower graphic settings in favor of draw distance, but it probably died. I'm aware that the PS3 has severe limitations, especially when it comes to what is needed for an MMO but in a month for a majority of players looks won't matter as much as function and I'm sure many would switch it if given the option.

Edit: I've had good luck finding decent PC hardware on Ebay for cheap, but used hardware can be a risk obviously.

• KesinKesin Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Torcip

No it won't, the PS4 isn't made by a wizard, it won't run on the magic you seem to think it will.  It will be comparable to current mid range graphics cards.

You are 100% correct.  Considering PS4 and XBone have been in development for years, their parts would at best be considered a mid range card compared to current cards.  The biggest thing PS4 will bring to FFXIV is dx11...but I don't think this will be released alongside PS4.  

In an interview YoshiP did at NovaCrystallis he was asked about this.

Nova Crystallis: You mentioned before that the next milestone after launch is the implementation of DirectX 11 support. How is this going to work with the standard client?
    Yoshida: First of all for DirectX 11, we’ll probably ask the players to download a separate client as it’s a totally different technology.

• XarusXarus Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Br3akingDawn
    My brother is running a nvidia 9800 GT with dual core processors and 4gb of ram with lowest of all lowest setting on and it looks way better than the PS3. The only thing that I saw the Ps3 is better than the PC is well.. the rain when it rains. Rain looks crazy on PS3. and not so much on PC, dont know why. But yeah shadows on PS3 look terrible compare to lowest setting on PC. HIs 9800 is ancient and only like 25-50$ on ebay.

I am playing it on my PC which is pretty high end and my wife is playing on PS3., I have noticed that there are 3 or 4 different types of rain storms it is possible you just saw the more intense (severe storm) on ps3. I have seen all of them on both systems and pc completely blows ps3 out of the water....especially when it comes to rain.

Originally posted by Br3akingDawn
    Originally posted by madishiftone

I'm liking the game as it is on PS3, and I think it looks pretty nice. However, it for sure looks a bit dated on the PS3 and the PC looks so much better. I'd rather relax and play in front of the television though. ;)

Very much looking forward to how much it will change with PS4. Or at least, I hope they do update it for PS4. I already pre-ordered my PS4 and FFXIV is one of like maybe three games I will have for it.

You could still relax and play in front of a TV with a PC....

Not mine, it's a high tower made of aluminum that I use for editing video, design, and photos. It's too heavy to bring up and down the stairs any time I want to play, and editing anything design-related on a TV is a bad idea.

If all I did was play games, than your idea would be okay I suppose.

Originally posted by Torcip
    I'd expect PS4 to not have SSAO or the highest resolution shadows, and maybe not Antialiasing. Other than that though it'll probably look similiar to PC, the biggest difference will be the fps. My PC currently runs this on max settings at 80 FPS minimum, usually near 100 fps when I don't have a hundred people running around. The PS4 probably won't touch 60 if there's more than 10 people around.

Oh, that would make me very upset if it doesn't have AA either. :/ My biggest annoyance in any game is if there isn't any AA, which is why I don't own many console games...

</3 JAGGIES!!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Don't forget the pc graphics were dumbed down to ps3 levels, so they look simmlar, the texture quality especally took a massive hit compared to the old ver 1.0 textures. All I know is with my pc Geforce 560 gt 1 gb, i5-3150, and 8gb ram I get 60-80 fps with everything maxxed. The loading screens are a tad annoying but it had to be done due to ps3 not able to handle the larger zones that ver 1.0 had, but if your pc is decent enough the load times aren't that bad, and actually they save time, for example walking out of Limsa Lominsa, you used to have to walk across that huge bridge, which took about 2-3 times as long as the loading screen does.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!