Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Logitech still interested in PC gaming?

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I wonder if Logitech isn't slowly backing out of PC gaming.

They haven't updated their gaming mice in years, they're still the same ones. The "S" series that came out last year are exactly the same mice with tiny tweaks you need to read about in the spec sheet to even notice, they're often worse than their previous versions. Roccat has way better mice now.

Their G13 gameboard is from 2009. Razer has updated their Nostromo to Orbweaver like 4 times now, while Logitech is relying on a G13 with mushy slow keys from 2009, it's 5 years old without one update, it's like they don't care anymore about gaming.

The only new thing they released was the G600 MMO mouse, which I frankly didn't think was very good, it's bulky and uncomfortable to use.

Anyway, I hope they step it up and release something new, it's been literally years.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Has anything changed in the last five years to make it so that you can make a better mouse or keyboard today than you could five years ago?
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    What Quiz said is spot on.. The only thing I hoped they would copy and improve on is the Razer Naga and they did that.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Umm, the S series just came out last April.

All mice are just tiny tweaks on the one before. The mouse, as a device, hasn't changed a whole lot since the very first one was carved out of wood by Englebart.

Logitech's keyboards have shifted away from LCD displays - they were very niche and didn't really catch on (although those that like them ~really~ like them), so there is still a niche for them - the G19S just released in late March of this year, and the G510S just after that. Lately they have been putting out mechanical and hybrid keyboards - The G710 (their flagship mechanical) was released in October of last year.

That's pretty much a full refresh of their entire gaming lineup in the last year.

I don't think they are backing out. Just because you don't care for the products (and I can fully admit that gaming peripherals are as much about preference as they are performance) doesn't mean they aren't still competing in the market.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

It's not even about upgrading their mice, they downgraded them lately.

The G500S for example.

Tthe G500 has a normal capacitor, they didn't upgrade it in the S version, they just changed out the capacitor to a cheap ceramic one. Now it makes a whizzing noise for many people who use it, it's the capacitor doing it.

Their driver had issues registering basic mouse movement, it lagged compared to their old version. They "fixed" it now they claim in their drivers, I don't believe it, there is still lag and the mouse still makes a high pitch noise for most. A gaming mouse with lag that squeeks is their main gaming mouse, seriously.

Their other S gaming mice, same issues, cheap as dirt capacitor and cheap as dirt scroll wheels which tend to skip after a while or cause the rubber to wear off in months.

Their G13, still not mechanical and still has mushy keys with huge travel. 5 years old. Razer is on their 4th iteration of their Orbweaver, with mechanical keys and far better response.

I used to like Logitech, but they released so much garbage lately, while Roccat and Razer release high-quality product after high-quality product. Especially Roccat, they came from an average brand to one of the best mouse brands you can buy right now, far better than the mice Logitech is coming out with.

I have a 500S. A capacitor is hardly the only thing that was changed in the mouse. Be it an upgrade or downgrade, it moves the mouse pointer just fine for me, and the weight/shape/texture of the mouse suits me just fine - I considered it a worthy successor to my old G5 and replaced my Razer Mamba with it. Because I like the way it felt better. That's a subjective opinion - not everyone will like the way it feels, but that doesn't mean it was upgraded/downgraded/sidegraded/whatever.

Just because you (or anyone else) don't like it doesn't mean "it's been literally years" since "They ... updated their gaming mice". The cold, undeniable fact is it's been 4 months.

I don't have a problem with your opinion, your entitled to that. I have a problem with what you are stating as facts - those you are just blatantly and obviously wrong about.

That's a subjective opinion - not everyone will like the way it feels, but that doesn't mean it was upgraded/downgraded/sidegraded/whatever.

Using cheap as dirt ceramic capacitors that cause mouse lag and make people's mouse squeel like a pig after a few months use is not "subjective".

Subjective would be arguing about the shape or design, not about actual flaws.

Logitech used to use high-quality components, they've fallen far below the quality of Roccat and Razer, even Mionix.

There are $10 mouse with better capacitors that don't cause lag, but an $80 gaming mouse has $1 in components. This is not subjective.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
     That's a subjective opinion - not everyone will like the way it feels, but that doesn't mean it was upgraded/downgraded/sidegraded/whatever.

Using cheap as dirt ceramic capacitors that cause mouse lag and make people's mouse squeel like a pig after a few months use is not "subjective".

Subjective would be arguing about the shape or design, not about actual flaws.

Logitech used to use high-quality components, they've fallen far below the quality of Roccat and Razer, even Mionix.

There are $10 mouse with better capacitors that don't cause lag, but an $80 gaming mouse has $1 in components. This is not subjective.

Wait, what?  A capacitor that causes mouse lag?  How does that happen?  That doesn't even make sense.

It's not like a device that can never draw more than a fraction of a watt, is not responsible for passing power to anything besides itself, and will never be meaningfully above room temperature needs high end capacitors, anyway.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Wait, what?  A capacitor that causes mouse lag?  How does that happen?  That doesn't even make sense.

It's not like a device that can never draw more than a fraction of a watt, is not responsible for passing power to anything besides itself, and will never be meaningfully above room temperature needs high end capacitors, anyway.

Do you make the mice or something? Logitech said it was a driver and  a ceramic capacitor issue.

Stop being such an annoying know-it-all Quiz. You're seriously annoying sometimes. Someone had to say it.

I'm pretty sure the engineer at Logitech knows better what's going on than you do.

and will never be meaningfully above room temperature needs high end capacitors, anyway.

You do need decent capacitors for mice, and the fact the G500S makes that high pitch noise for many, and the G500 does not, is in fact the capacitor, not only has it been confirmed by people who have the mouse, by people at logitech, I know it's the capacitor because it's the same noise I heard in class when we used capacitors.

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Do you make the mice or something? Logitech said it was a driver and  a ceramic capacitor issue.

Stop being such an annoying know-it-all Quiz. You're seriously annoying sometimes. Someone had to say it.

I'm pretty sure the engineer at Logitech knows better what's going on than you do.

More like ragingwaters.

Someone around here claims to "know-it-all" about every single G500S mouse ever made, and how much every owner of said mouse hates them because they squeal and track poorly. A lot of conjecture based on, what appears to be, a few posts around the internet and a Youtube video (which is the worlds ~most~ reliable source). Oh, and let's not forget the indisputable first-hand experience of "hearing a capacitor in class one day".

I can't speak for every owner, but we have 2 in our house. Both work fine.

Seriously. You have a nice opinion piece here, but your trying to treat it as fact and your trying to argue against people who are pointing out your fallacy.

You don't like Logitech. Ok, point taken. But your throwing out a lot of crap trying to convince other people to not like Logitech either, rather than just presenting the facts and letting them speak for themselves.