Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoG Opening Postponed - official announcement

13»

Comments

• elvigyelvigy Member CommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by Fadeus
    Originally posted by Signe
    I have to agree. Evidently, the wee bits of information that trickle in come from people watching the irc channel. It shouldn't be that way. The information people need should be on the website, in a place where it is easily found. Most everything I know to this point has been posted by just regular people who have taken on what seems to be the overwhelming task of trying to sort through the fog. It really is rather unprofessional. I'm just someone who picked up a freebie SoG thingy, though, so at least I haven't invested any money in it. I'm sure those people are wanting information a lot more than me.

It's common for MMO companies to dump an annoucement in a forum or somewhere obscure and not be forward with it to people that don't wish to keep up with the forums or other means that they use. Many people don't know about IRC, don't want to deal with it, or just don't get into the game at such a level that they have to not only play the game but keep up with the news of it all day long on the web.

It's really unacceptable but accepted none-the-less these days. In SOG's defense, if your signing up or this you probably do keep up with all those things however I am fairly certain this practice will continue once the game goes to the shelves and your getting the average MMO player that doesn't keep up with forums and chatrooms.

I think most here, though not all judging by the intellectual lackings of some of these posts, lol, understand this point. However, the problem is they can't seem to keep their forums up and online. Plus, there are people in IRC with the devs and they don't seem to be getting any more information than anyone else. :(

• azgarthazgarth Member UncommonPosts: 188

After SWG NGE i'm not the happiest person in what concerns MMORPGs, and lack of information. I have played other games though, and so far UO expantions launch was always a failure, with servers going in and out or keeping us in queue before they droped, with some reverts after we finaly did, WOW kept us also out on launch day for ...about a day or two with queues, and this is only what i remember the most. I don't think any SWG expantion launch caused this much problems, mostly because it didn't have that many players....

This is a game with limited servers, and we are all trying to enter it on day one at same time. Too many for what they can bare most likely, but try to be pacient, the game hasn't started yet and already seems to have a very healthy community, hehe. Let's be pacient and give it some time.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by eddieoctane
    i say we start a pool on how many more delays there will be. i'm putting a bet on that through all the next week, the servers are still down. that should be what? about 10 days?

I think they are realizing now that giving people 4 1/2 to 5 months of gameplay time with SoG is overkill. They run the risk of people getting bored because SoG won't have a whole lot of features to keep players hooked.
    I think this is just a stall tactic. If the servers don't go live today then I wouldn't be surprised if they postponed it a few more weeks.
  • LazzerusLazzerus Member Posts: 99

Just found this on another form...for those fan boys who care ::::01::

"Latest update from IRC is:

Last minute issues found with spells..server delayed till 2100 (GMT) ETA. NP3 working on fix."

My opinion matters to everyone...

• TarValonTarValon Member Posts: 59

Well I have been following this game for almost 3 years.  I dreamed about roaming Ganarath the way I used to roam Dereth.  I am sad to say that I was a fanboi.  Perhaps, still am although my faith has been tested and wavers.  I have been occupying my game time with GW.  And, I hate GW....imageimage

Totally burned out on WoW so I have been thinking of renewing DAoC.  It has been almost 3 years since I been there.

I would say to NpCube "what are you waiting for?.....Christmas"...but I think I already know the answer......image

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412
    Nice find Lazzerus and thanks for the posting it.  :) Lets hope they come a little closer to this 6th deadline of the day than the past 5.
  • fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

man i got to admit this is getting to a point where it is beyong comical.

• elvigyelvigy Member CommonPosts: 249
    That's just weird. What could possibly be wrong with spells that they would not want the server to launch? People would be a lot less mad if they would just launch with a notice saying spells are bugged, will be fixed in an overnight patch (or whatever) than to make yet another deadline that they will most likely miss.
  • differentdifferent Member Posts: 180

problem with spells??? shouldn't this have been tested like ages ago, or is it old bug when you you cast you cr...

ooops

• LordAnubisLordAnubis Member Posts: 112
    actully considering this is basicly open beta you should really expect bugs like this
  • ZvorakZvorak Member Posts: 234

Originally posted by Lazzerus

Just found this on another form...for those fan boys who care ::::01::
    "Latest update from IRC is:

Last minute issues found with spells..server delayed till 2100 (GMT) ETA. NP3 working on fix."

WTF does that have to do with anything ...?

Is NP3 that incompitent to shut down server and gameplay becuase of somthing superficial as that..? Why not keet the patch server up, let all the pioneers finish downloading the patch and at least start creating their character...etc.  I highly doubt the spell issue will effect many of us, because most will not go leveling and gaining EXP the first day.

Most people spend the first hour remappping their keyboard and customizing their character, then heading out to explore and get fasmilair with their surrounding..  They then meet up with their friends and head out to go try the combat system.

So why kill the patcher and why kill the game login because you can be fixing your spells while we play....!  dumb

• UriasUrias Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by LordAnubis
    actully considering this is basicly open beta you should really expect bugs like this

Like many have said in both forums im only unhappy about 2 things at this point.

1 is the lack of information since ive been following this game.

2 and the next is the way they slipped the chinese in and the info they get.

I dont mind about all the bugs and delays ive been there done that like many of you guys.

CNurias

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412
    game server is up :)
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by elvigy
    Originally posted by Fadeus
    Originally posted by Signe
    I have to agree. Evidently, the wee bits of information that trickle in come from people watching the irc channel. It shouldn't be that way. The information people need should be on the website, in a place where it is easily found. Most everything I know to this point has been posted by just regular people who have taken on what seems to be the overwhelming task of trying to sort through the fog. It really is rather unprofessional. I'm just someone who picked up a freebie SoG thingy, though, so at least I haven't invested any money in it. I'm sure those people are wanting information a lot more than me.

It's common for MMO companies to dump an annoucement in a forum or somewhere obscure and not be forward with it to people that don't wish to keep up with the forums or other means that they use. Many people don't know about IRC, don't want to deal with it, or just don't get into the game at such a level that they have to not only play the game but keep up with the news of it all day long on the web.

It's really unacceptable but accepted none-the-less these days. In SOG's defense, if your signing up or this you probably do keep up with all those things however I am fairly certain this practice will continue once the game goes to the shelves and your getting the average MMO player that doesn't keep up with forums and chatrooms.

I think most here, though not all judging by the intellectual lackings of some of these posts, lol, understand this point. However, the problem is they can't seem to keep their forums up and online. Plus, there are people in IRC with the devs and they don't seem to be getting any more information than anyone else. :(

Part of the problem might be the 25,000 people trying to access the forums. 8881 pissed off Pioneers + 10,000 worried settlers + 7,000 to 9,000 Trolls, Haters, Flamers, Fanbois, Newcomers, Silents Observers = Good chance of crashing site. Or it could just be because they suck. ::::28::

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• hypersanhypersan Member Posts: 63

game server is up dl crashes every time

ati radeon 9700

1 gig ram
    p4 3.06 ghz

oh and what does the game type 4 mean

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by hypersan
    game server is up dl crashes every time ati radeon 9700 1 gig ram
    p4 3.06 ghz oh and what does the game type 4 mean

Have you updated your Catalyst drivers yet? (Or what's the other popular one... Omega?)

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.