Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: 5 Things We LIKE About EQ Next

124»

Comments

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    1) Mix and Match Classes

funny can a caster switch skills with a warrior? how about a monk with a ranger? just checking.. as far as I know only one game is giving you complete custom characters including skill swapping and thats Citadel of Sorcery. with all players accessing ALL 1890 skills. SOE loses in a big way.

2) Rallying Calls

Wait, wasnt this done in Vanilla WoW with the opening of Ahn Qiraj? How is this new and fresh? just another wow clone tactic again.

3) AI Sounds Like A Dungeon Master

Ill believe it when I see it. Ever since Citadel of Sorcery announced theyed have smart AI's everyones trying to copy them.. unfortunately they havent spent nearly the time developing it like MOMagic did.

4) Destructibility

I watched a couple of the videos on destructability and laughed... really? a giant robot thing walks through a forest and the trees fall aprat like legos? hell WoWs trees falling over looked better.    

5). It's Frickin' EverQuest

Who cares? SOE is just trying to get the cash grab in before the big two games start pushing hard for development.In a another year or so they will be competeing with Star Citizen and Citadel of Sorcery and omfg EQN is going to look pathetic. so go ahead and fluff the stories about EQN.. its not a great hope for the gaming industry.. its just another watered down wow clone.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by kingotnw
    People keep trying to compare the EQN features to those found in other games. I don't know how much more clear they could have been at the reveal that even if some sound the same, they are not, and when trying to do so you are getting the wrong idea of the game. People need to stop trying to push all these things into a box of 'seen it before'. It actually sounds like SOE is breaking out of all of the MMORPG molds, and while some stuff does seem to have a little in common with other games, it seems to me that even those things are very, very different. If they weren't, they wouldn't have spent so much time trying to beat it into people's heads that this is all new ground. They would only be hurting themselves if what they were saying is not true.

That's the problem, if you've been in the gaming industry and played the multitudes of games you start to see that Everquest Next isn't new and unique. Graphics don't make a game that's just eye candy..

however mechanics are something that a game needs and if you are just using what has been done before then its not  "New" its just an upgrade of what was . but its still the same damned thing. Rally call is the same event that we ran in WoW to open Ahn Qiraj... they just made it more flashy.. no big difference.

If one is going to say they are breaking the mold of gaming you cant take what has been done and just stamp a new face or title on it, you have to build an game from scratch and push the boundries of what can be done.

Want a damned good example of what it looks like when you're actually trying to break the mold?

Look at Citadel of Sorcery. They are actually trying.  for the last 8-10 years its all they've done and the game is still in the works. They are busting their asses with an engine that they designed, and tool set that is theirs alone.. and they are doing wonderful things with it.

So before anyone starts claiming they are "breaking the mold",  they need to first learn what the hell that means and show examples. So far EQN hasn't showed a damned thing other than it only breaks some idiots check book.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Akumawraith
    Originally posted by kingotnw
    People keep trying to compare the EQN features to those found in other games. I don't know how much more clear they could have been at the reveal that even if some sound the same, they are not, and when trying to do so you are getting the wrong idea of the game. People need to stop trying to push all these things into a box of 'seen it before'. It actually sounds like SOE is breaking out of all of the MMORPG molds, and while some stuff does seem to have a little in common with other games, it seems to me that even those things are very, very different. If they weren't, they wouldn't have spent so much time trying to beat it into people's heads that this is all new ground. They would only be hurting themselves if what they were saying is not true.

That's the problem, if you've been in the gaming industry and played the multitudes of games you start to see that Everquest Next isn't new and unique. Graphics don't make a game that's just eye candy..

however mechanics are something that a game needs and if you are just using what has been done before then its not  "New" its just an upgrade of what was . but its still the same damned thing. Rally call is the same event that we ran in WoW to open Ahn Qiraj... they just made it more flashy.. no big difference.

If one is going to say they are breaking the mold of gaming you cant take what has been done and just stamp a new face or title on it, you have to build an game from scratch and push the boundries of what can be done.

Want a damned good example of what it looks like when you're actually trying to break the mold?

Look at Citadel of Sorcery. They are actually trying.  for the last 8-10 years its all they've done and the game is still in the works. They are busting their asses with an engine that they designed, and tool set that is theirs alone.. and they are doing wonderful things with it.

So before anyone starts claiming they are "breaking the mold",  they need to first learn what the hell that means and show examples. So far EQN hasn't showed a damned thing other than it only breaks some idiots check book.

I said NOTHING about the graphics. Did you even read my post? The AI in the game is revolutionary for a MMORPG. Nothing like it has been done before. It is far and away the main selling feature of the game, as it should be. I don't care about the graphics one way or the other. I want a living, breathing world that I can lose myself in. Also, who are you to tell people what they need to do before giving their opinion? You are assuming a lot thinking I haven't had anything to do with the gaming industry. There isn't a major MMORPG on the market that I haven't tried. I have been heavily involved with them from EQ1 beta onward. So before  you start telling people what they need to do, maybe you need to understand that you are not owed qualification, or even contemplation, from anyone. If  you choose not to believe what the EQN devs are saying then that's fine. That's your issue though, don't project it onto others. You are making the same mistake in your posts than I talked about people making in mine, you are assuming your vision of what they are saying is the reality, when in fact that were pretty much pleading with people to stop trying to force a square peg in a round hole. That's all you are doing here, aside from being arrogant. All you are doing is taking the blue print of what you have seen in the past, and applying it to what has been said about EQN. It's fine if you want to do that even after being begged not to, but don't jump up onto a pedestal and start telling people the color of the sky in your world when people don't buy what you are selling.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    I remember so much hype and claims of "innovation" for eq2 too, eq1 was an accident and even at that only a right place at the right time thing. $oe is incapable of making a decent product and when they take a decent product over they destroy it. Enjoy your optimism for now, because at release reality will bitch slap you.
  • elyssariaelyssaria Member UncommonPosts: 45

Confessions of a formerly hyped EQN player...

First I must admit I was so damn hyped when they was about to start the SOE live event. I had bunkered up with some sweet beer some good snacks and was soo excited that I could feel my heart beat. Then they started and they showed the sand artist stuff and I was about to blow up out of curiosity!

Then I saw the graphics.... the hype factor went down sooo much.. I took a beer and tried to think positively anyway and then they presented the destoyable world, emergent AI, Rallying Call... I could honestly feel the hype restore from the initial loss with the graphics.

Then they showed the combat and again a huge disappointment... I won't go into detail about this since I have already posted about my concerns.

After the event I felt a bit empty... the hype was almost totally gone, I still remained optimistic about the emergent AI, destructable world and rallying call. Then an hour after the event I ran through all the stuff I had seen in my head and pretty soon come to the conclusion that the stuff I was having optimistic thoughts about was not really show "ingame" but instead presented as a concept idea (with the exception of destructable voxels). This is concerning to me since I can't count on how many times developters has announced new features that has sounded so exciting only to end up with a meh. So really the remaining hype I had was gone...

I fail to see how people now can be so "blueeyed" and only get hyped of what they said without presenting something real to witness is more accurately.

I do still believe that some things of this will be part of the new MMO's in the future and that is especially the emergent AI and destructable world. However I am not so sure that it will be EQN that is the game that will be successful with it.

So I guess I will have to wait further until a indie developer understands what us old EQ players are after and then put out their idea on Kickstarter so we can fund it without having mindless publishers and investors asking for something like WoW with some new elements.

So this is a plea to ALL you indie developers and other gamestudios willing to break a path away from the latest trends:

• Create a game that in many ways are similar to the old EQ with updated fresh graphics that are more realistic and certainly not cartoonish.
    • Create a game that is really hard and unforgiving unless you learn and adapt, this means no handholding like red lines on the ground showing what the monsters are about to do, not the standard "go to this quest hub which leads you to the next hub" so you have no incitaments to explore the world.
    • No maps unless you create them yourself! This makes you to explore more by yourself and also something that happened me ALOT in EQ... I got lost!! I still remember my beginning as a magician running around and killing bats and orc runts and I followed after an orc runt fleeing and it ended up with me being totally lost and surrounded by red con very aggresive giant spiders. This incident also cost me my first lost corpse in EQ.
    • A classsystem that actually make you dependable on other classes to be really successful. Of course there will be soloable content as well but it needs to be alot of content that brings incitaments to actually socialize and group up together. Then for me this class system needs to have tons of possibilities to make your character unique so people can be totally different even if they are playing the same "class". To be clear.. it doesn't need to be a system with classes but the important part are the roles that enforce socializing and grouping
    • A combat system that is really challenging which forces you to learn and adapt to overcome the challenges. You will lean by the hard way to actually face the monster and see what he brings to the table and then learn and adapt to overcome his strategy. Also a good combat system need to have alot of skills and hotbars so you actually can choose different strategies along during combat.. So hey those lame 8 hotkeys that EQN has at the moment won't cut it since I want to be able to changes the skills I want to use depending on the situation I am in when I am meeting an enemy
    • Depth in everything is needed. Making things to simplistic also makes people get bored quickly. By having a huge complexity then people have something to learn for long time which helps players to keep the interest
    • Definitely no superfast progression as the "standard" of MMO's today seem to fall in love with. This only brings bad stuff in the long run. First it's really fun to get new tools and things to play with at a fast pace but when the tools are all done what fun is it then? Slowing down the leveling/progression ALOT is necessary since it makes you enjoy and experience the content alot longer for each lvl. This also makes it worth for you to actually hunt for good equipment since you won't have the feeling "I don't care about the loot since I will have new better one in the next 20 minutes when I have leveled anyway. It will also make it possible for the newbie crafters to actually sell some of their crafted items in the beginning and not only vendoring/salvaging it as the standard have come to as of today
    • A crafting system more like the one in Vanguard and not the simplistic tools that are around these days.
    •  Don't overdo the fluff and effects as it was shown in EQN. It doesn't need to look like the world championships in fireworks when every sword swing has to have an colorful effect. Really the only thing that normally make one technique different form another are the animation and results.
    So please dear indie/game developers make something similar to the above I mentioned and you will for sure have my money many years to come alont that I am sure me and many others will GLADLY invest into your eventual kickstarter campaign!

/E
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299

"Hear it for the guys and gals of SOE"??? ok ...your kidding right?? 5 years and 2 reloads and you STILL dont know WTF you want? Yeah...really impressive soe. They are trying to piece together something that sounds good and will sell at least "idea" wise, and ways they can build up the drama and hype to get their pre release sales as frenzied as they possibly can. See this game has NOTHING to do with EQ, SOE is simply using the name  as a draw, because they feel no matter what they do, the game has only about a 4-8 mo. period where they can milk enough of the population  to make it a viable game (profitability wise). Beyond that it really doesnt matter, the game will have no draw ( see GW2), as this game is using the same template (basically). So when you really dont know what to do, go to the 6 Step plan!...1. good name, check..2.hype it up, check...3.put in a few things that look "innovative"...check...4. tell everyone that this will "change your life"..check...5. release a POS game that will make you money no matter how bad it is, check...6. move on to the next game. Want to see what this will be like in the future...check out dragon's prophet.  A few good things, but pieced together like a poor man's frankenstein and very little if any support. So lets hear it for the people at EQN......... TOTAL FAILURE.

• Tek101Tek101 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I think that they need to bring back mage only transport or at least make it pretty difficult to fast travel..... so you are forced to explore. I loved journeying through norrath in EQ1 and then unknowingly walking into a beholder maze in the Karanas.....which led to a theif stealing my stuff "trying" to help me get my corpse lol. These were the good ol' days and if they can bring back some of the nostalgia I feel, I'll be happy.

fear not on how the way of the light hits

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I played the original EQ, and then EQ2. To this day, EQ2 is still my favorite game ever. I LOVE the houses in Halas. The theme music in Antonica still gives me the shivers. No other game has the christmas season feel that this one has, especially with the jingle bells, and the ice area with flying reindeer. 

It broke my heart to leave, and I've been looking for a new MMO home ever since. Even SWTOR didn't fit that even though I love Star Wars. The only reason I left is because, when they announced free to play, the players had dozens of questions that they posted on the forums. At first, we were just told "trust us, we won't screw you over". And they were called on it. As a result, they stopped replying completely because we wouldn't take the "getting blown off" garbage. I honestly don't have a problem with free to play, and have several MMO's that I play that are free to play, including AoC. What I have a problem with is the way they tend to treat their players, which unfortunately has become extremely common in the game industry. 

But Everquest Next? We will see. Given their previous behavior, I don't trust them a bit. Heck, I don't trust MMO devs or their financeers. There's no reason to. They promise the world with every game and every single game is just like every other game with a gimmick and different graphics. Will Everquest Next have the things that Everquest 2 does? A good search function on the broker? Proper housing? Collections? Probably not. Because the game devs are more concerned with cool graphics even though that isn't what players are asking for, players are asking for good game play. Players do not want linear storylines and PvP and nothing else. Game developers keep talking about how they are adding features but it isn't even remotely true. Instead they are removing features slowly but surely. Then they wonder why people leave and go back to their old games, or keep jumping game to game. 

Even one of the Firefall devs posted an article on MMORPG about how the players need to contribute more. I don't know how we can contribute more. The same things have been said by players for years over MMORPG and other places but the things always get ignored. Players want things like writable maps, more involved crafting, the ability to have choices that matter to more than just yourself, intelligent US that has random happenings and reacts to the players as they move through the game. And more. 

I've said for years that I want to live in a game world, not on it. I haven't experienced that feeling since EQ2 but even that is not quite what I'm talking about. 

Devs want us to contribute? We already do. They just need to start paying attention. 

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I am certainly "excited" for this game, but only as excited as I can get for something that isn't coming out for about 2 years. Sorry, but I just can't keep up my hype-level for that long. Maybe I am getting old...
  • KalisutraKalisutra Member Posts: 6

Man... lol you guys are just slamming everything.  I have never seen such a group of haters (obviously not talking about those posting logically, and accepting that SOME of the features of EQN seem interesting). 

Think about what the one common trend everyone who hates on almost every aspect and/or says its copied from another game agrees on... The AI concept they're going for.

That is the CORE of the game... In any game really.  All the way back to mario brothers... but back to my point.

It's about the symphony of all the announced features working together.. monsters changing the world, creating in the world, you creating, destroying in the world, the rallying calls happening in a different way on every server, in a different order, based on population balance, player interaction with the world, alignment shifts of players, and NPCs... The combat in this game is more of fluff if you think about all those features working together and how amazing that COULD be.   I'm sure the combat will be super fun and interesting, especially given the customization options that will further min maxing with armor/equipment bonuses to given skills (they stated that armor will be used primarily to modify class skills, not just stats or the norm). 

Everyone is comparing things to WoW's AQ opening event... that was a basically scripted event, with a set number of certain things that had to happen before it could open.  I did it, i was there... with 2 full raids, one for pvp, one for farming the various caves... we all had very specific tasks we did and we knew exactly what the outcome would be.  That will NOT be the case in EQN.  No one will know what will happen ebcause there is no way to plan or even predict at all when the world can think for itself, and change itself... speaking of that, not to mention possible earthquakes, and weather/seasonal effects (which they did mention were in the game as part of the Q and A panel for the world panel).

The point is... this game, IF it all is how they say it is when it actually comes out (i'm skeptical of that, of course... its a pretty big claim), will be DRASTICALLY different than any MMO on the market.  Even if they took a few features from the others... WoW was the first game to do that, after all, and it is the most successful (as far as a playerbase size goes) MMO in history.  It's about taking what you know, and making it better, and different in its entirety, not in its broken down components.

• ReverielleReverielle Member UncommonPosts: 133

These are great ideas from SOE. But like others have stated (and I agree) there's just been not enough actual evidence of them as yet. In fact that was one of the more obvious absences from SOE Live this year: The lack of actual in-game evidence to support what they were saying. 

I'm hopeful that they will make good on all their promises, but really time will tell. Landmark (being released later this year/winter) I think will provide valuable insight into how accurately they are realised in an actual game environment.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818

It is EQ - Yes it is, but that should be the title not a plus.

Destructibility - Done in MMO's before, not sure it adds that much.

AI like a Dungeon Master - If they can pull this off it will be a huge step in MMO's. But it is a big If.

Rallying Calls -  Developing public quests into something that has a permanent effect can only be good.

Mix and Match Classes - They will end up with a handful (at most) templates players will pick from. We have seen this before, you don't have to be clairvoyant to work it out.

• JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62

I find it fascinating that anyone is surprised by the Disneyesque graphic choice of mainstream companies. You talk about their target audience when your pissed and you are completely correct. Why do you think this is? Because who will grow up playing their game the younger generation. 

They are not going to target a smaller niche community who are harder to please when they can target an untouched well of potential customers. I mean what kid hates Disney cartoons? None that I've ever met and if they do help them get therapy. It's like not enjoying Legos or crayons. 

I mean let me be plain. I would take mature graphics any day over toned down smooth faced dove soaped pweteens. However I understand they are trying to make money plain and simple. I might try the game given a free trial or something, but I doubt highly it's going to touch my already aged and almost set in stone style interests. I am mostly artistic when it comes to my graphic tastes so it's hard to keep me interested with silly hats and kiddies wearing them running around. 

I kind of laugh at some people raging about this too. Mainly because I know a small group of these graphical angst players are the same ones who play MMOs that claim maturity yet have half dressed elf chicks and flesh showing child like characters. I'm not slamming them for it as you play what you enjoy. Mature taste is just a question of what you tolerate or have grown to like. 

On the people claiming they have no issues with the graphics and defend the decision. Well good for you. You enjoy what you enjoy however remember how calm you were and understanding the next time something major changes the way you see something you've been playing or watching for years and feel it had a certain style that fit it so well. Much like how they made Cookie Monster all about health food. 

Now both sides have a good point. Some just like cartoons better than others. It's that simple. Some people go for the funnies in a newspaper over the sports section at least when I was growing up that's what went down. I've always liked cartoons and heck I still watch and love them. However I don't want to be a cartoon even if it is a fantasy. I still favor a "realistic" or grittier look to my games depending on the source and lore from where they originate. Imagine Double Dragon in this kind of style. Some would accept it and cheer it on. Others would be near rioting even at the idea. 

Simply put you might tell someone about a story of a animal character who has an adventure. Depending on their imagination person A: might see Felix the Cat, B: sees Watership Down like rabbits, C: has a vision of Howard the Duck. We all see what we want to see something as. Most developers either see characters or they see the dollars those characters will bring. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and some people have hotter opinions than others. If you've never gotten angry over something stupid or pointless please raise your hand. 

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    The graphics, people need to get over it. It's just a style and means nothing. Most games are cartoony in style. Why? Because studies have shown that games that are too realistic are something people have a difficult time dealing with. The problem I have is that the devs are worried about graphics when they should be worried about game play. 
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

The only thing I want to see from soe is a walkback of the Kerra model.  I go no interest in my kerra looking like tony the tiger meets lion king.  It is ugly, silly, and honestly it is a turn off. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Tarnorili

These are great ideas from SOE. But like others have stated (and I agree) there's just been not enough actual evidence of them as yet.

In fact that was one of the more obvious absences from SOE Live this year: The lack of actual in-game evidence to support what they were saying. 

I'm hopeful that they will make good on all their promises, but really time will tell. Landmark (being released later this year/winter) I think will provide valuable insight into how accurately they are realised in an actual game environment.

i agree - I'm excited for EQN but feel the same way

• KamatariPLKamatariPL Member UncommonPosts: 7

This article seems like written just to post something. It's not really a list of what we "like" about everquest next it's more of what we know about EQN. 

I don't really see a point of souch articles about a game that we know little about. We have been teased about EQN but it has not been revealed to us.

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

What scare me the most is actually the limited slot of ability ( 8 total) andx the fact that  weapon are what skill you have for the base.

I't s a little troubling. in EQ1, you had 8spell, could use any weapon and do what youi want. in EQ2 you had all skill you had, and any weapon you wanted to use... in EQN, You're dumbed down to 8skill set witht he weapon you use.

Sigh, this might be the only game breaking thing that turn me off from the game -_-

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by bingo69

What scare me the most is actually the limited slot of ability ( 8 total) andx the fact that  weapon are what skill you have for the base.

I't s a little troubling. in EQ1, you had 8spell, could use any weapon and do what youi want. in EQ2 you had all skill you had, and any weapon you wanted to use... in EQN, You're dumbed down to 8skill set witht he weapon you use.

Sigh, this might be the only game breaking thing that turn me off from the game -_-

MOBAs have half as many skills and the combat is still more complex than any MMO out there

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here