Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do some of you even want an eq1 reboot/reskin?

124»

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by kjempff

@OP. I doubt many want eq1 in a new skin. What they.. I.. want is a game with the same quality and game feel that eq1 gave us, and that no game has been close to delivering since. Eq1 is to many including myself not only the best game ever made, but by so much that the best mmorpg games only scratches the surface.

Uhm "we" dont see trying to re-make the eq1 magic is a step backwards, that would be a step forward in a genre that has stepped backwards for years. So basically "we" would love to see a living breathing world with roles to play, so that we can get lost in the game and the world and BE one with our character, aka roleplaying. Everquest gave us that, aswell as a meaningful and mystic game with advanced mechanic and systems that combined has not been equalled yet.

So not the same game, but a better version of eq1 with the same qualities.

How can you know that EQN cannot deliver those things? 

If it's because of graphics you don't like.....well, EQ delivered those things with stick figures;

If it's because of a combat system you haven't played....well, why don't you give them the benefit of the doubt? A warrior on day 1 of EQ had: autoattack, kick, taunt, and bash. That's it - four buttons to tank. And that combat system delivered what you decsribed.

So I say, give it a little space; they've blown you away before - just because it isn't the concept 'we' envisioned; it may be that they truly are going to re-define the genre again - you cannot do that with stuff we've had before - and you cannot know until you've got your hands on it, at the very least more info than the art direction and the basics of the combat system.

No can do..  SOE doesn't get a free pass here.. If you are going to sell and hype a product, then YOU better give us customers details..  I would expect the same consideration from Ford Motor too..  I want to know details before hyping and buying a product, and I have yet to hear anything to sink my teeth in..  40 Classes?  Then lets hear them, and describe them..  As a Druid, can I snare and root things?  Will combat will long enough to make DoT'ing useful?  Can we port?   And speaking of that.. WTF?? So I can be a warrior one second in full plate, then turn around after the fight and switch to cloth wearing wizard and port back to city?  Is that how it's going to work?   If so, that is just F'ing stupid.. 

The more I read, the more I think about it, the more I hate the direction this game is going..  It is definitely looking like a marriage between Minecraft and GW2..  We have yet to be given ANY details worth a shit about EQN.. All we really saw was just "concept" hype and tech demo eye candy..  SHIT.. the game is so raw and new, they don't even have ONE city laid out.. They were asked about starting cities and we couldn't even get an answer about that either.. 

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

You can't recapture the feeling. New generations create their own new feelings and magic.

The original magic of the beatles and the feelings of that generation can't be duplicated. However, The following generations each fell in love and had their own magic with the beatles. It was different, but just as strong and even more profitable. They all listen and love and have magic even though for different reasons and are from different generations.

Art is timeless. Not profiting from a timeless medium is were the stupidity lies, Not in the fans nostalgia or rose colored glasses. People should stop believing experts who are always wrong and trust common sense instead.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by kjempff

@OP. I doubt many want eq1 in a new skin. What they.. I.. want is a game with the same quality and game feel that eq1 gave us, and that no game has been close to delivering since. Eq1 is to many including myself not only the best game ever made, but by so much that the best mmorpg games only scratches the surface.

Uhm "we" dont see trying to re-make the eq1 magic is a step backwards, that would be a step forward in a genre that has stepped backwards for years. So basically "we" would love to see a living breathing world with roles to play, so that we can get lost in the game and the world and BE one with our character, aka roleplaying. Everquest gave us that, aswell as a meaningful and mystic game with advanced mechanic and systems that combined has not been equalled yet.

So not the same game, but a better version of eq1 with the same qualities.

How can you know that EQN cannot deliver those things? 

If it's because of graphics you don't like.....well, EQ delivered those things with stick figures;

If it's because of a combat system you haven't played....well, why don't you give them the benefit of the doubt? A warrior on day 1 of EQ had: autoattack, kick, taunt, and bash. That's it - four buttons to tank. And that combat system delivered what you decsribed.

So I say, give it a little space; they've blown you away before - just because it isn't the concept 'we' envisioned; it may be that they truly are going to re-define the genre again - you cannot do that with stuff we've had before - and you cannot know until you've got your hands on it, at the very least more info than the art direction and the basics of the combat system.

I never mentioned EqNext and I didn't have EqNext in my thoughts. I was only commenting on the thought that people wanted a eq1 reskin, and saying I didn't think that was what people wanted, but a new game based on the spirit or philosophy of eq1.. An Eq that was improved on the areas where Eq1 had problems, but keeping what made Eq1 so good. That thing everyone thought Eq2 would be before it launched, or that which Vanguard came a little closer to delivering.

About EqNext, it is not impossible that it could turn out to be that, because we really don't know much yet and even after launch games can change alot, so it will be a long before we can judge that for real. I love the core ideas about Rallys and AI on a grander scale for example, and I am suspicious about alot of other features, but everything is in the details and those we don't know about yet. But if EqNext is going to be that thing Eq1 players yearn for, there are some basic ideas that can't be thrown away. Roles, teamplay, excitement & consenquence, living world, believability to mention a few, and looking around at 10+ years of mmorpg, that doesn't seem like something easily achieved. EqNext is the best news in years, but I still want to see some of the promises for real to beleive it.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

for those who want eq1 reskinned,  go play Vanguard with the other 100 or so people who play it

I for 1 will never play another race to max lvl so you can camp raids all night to get a chance to roll for gear again

I miss DAoC

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

Everquest 3 versus Everquest Next

http://www.eqnexus.com/2013/08/everquest-3-vs-everquest-next/

"EverQuest 3 would be a short term, hard core success story.  It would be a low risk, low reward move. "

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by donpopuki

Everquest 3 versus Everquest Next

http://www.eqnexus.com/2013/08/everquest-3-vs-everquest-next/

"EverQuest 3 would be a short term, hard core success story.  It would be a low risk, low reward move. "

"I do not know what we have in EverQuest Next yet, but I am excited.  I do understand why EverQuest Next cannot be EverQuest 3.  For now, I am willing to give SOE time to show me exactly what it can be."

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by 4chen
    Originally posted by arieste Originally posted by Mattatron Why, why, why do you insist, if they aren't 'going backwards', they can't 'go forwards'?
    I'm all for going forward.  I just don't consider Disney, GW2 and WoW to be "forward".  I consider those just as backwards as EQ1.   Not interested in an EQ1 reskin at all, but some things about EQ1 and EQ2 simply weren't broken.
    ouch. Disney, GW2 and WoW are just as backwards as EQ1? For Disney, I wonder what your childhood and your (future) children's childhoods are like. And for GW2 and WoW, what's your definition of going "forwards"? I wonder if your numbers of subs and $ would support your argument.

"ouch. Disney, GW2 and WoW are just as backwards as EQ1?"

you fail at comprehension. Let me break it down for you...In regards to the EverQuest Universe a game that reminds him of Disney, GW2 and WoW is not moving forward for the franchise. Don't mean there is anything at all wrong with Disney, just not in the EQ universe.

Better ? Some people just need their hands held, I was happy to help out. Enjoy.

• supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68
    I wouldn't want to go back to camping mobs because it's already been done, but you can probably recreate some of the EQ magic by incorporating a lot of its elements. Developers have done nothing but strip this genre of everything that made it worthwhile. 
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Play Guild Wars 2 and imagine a world modifiable by players and you have EQN. SOE is not going to reskin a 14 year old game they will add tweaks to the latest game. Just makes sense. My only question is will they improve upon GW2 or just make a buggier version of it LOL. After EQ2, SWG, and Vanguards launches and subsequent improvements and patches I have faith in SOE to screw anything up

I miss DAoC

• I would like to see a next gen eq1 game mainly because I miss the depth the game had in everquest 1. The community depth and where your actions mattered. Death in the game was important rather than trivial.
    Lately the games including swtor have catered to players with zero patience and it shows by declining player base. Everquest 1 players knew you had to earn and respect each other to obtain gear rather than selfish solo play

Just watch how as the time progresses on EQ Next the "if I Do not get X I will quit " attitudes pop up on the eq next forums
    Hopefully SOE stays true to a design approach that will truly make for a epic gameplay as eq1 did. If its catered to the you can be everything at once crowd will the game have stamina beyond initial launch.
    I have high hopes they are seeking a balance of both freedom of choice combinations and true balance of powers so that things do not become rapidly trivial and/or irrelevant
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

OP, I agree with you.

I think that the rose colored glasses are in full effect here with a lot of these arguments.  Not sure about you guys, but this is how I remember EQ1.

You start off with hardly any direction and then randomly wind up murdering scores of rodents.  After a sufficient slaughter, you are strong enough to fight bigger foes and then you have to group, which usually involves spamming LFG for 45 minutes.  Once you get in a group, you then have to convince your group to attack one target and not DPS too much, which usually results in you banging your head against your desk.  Oh, and woe be to you if you are an enchanter in a group with an AoE happy wizard.

And you know what? 

I FREAKING LOVED IT.

But that said, it's over and I don't really want to do that again.  I want something new.  EQ was fun, but it was fun because it was novel...looking back, it was insanely frustrating.

For folks that want the same game reskinned to be released over and over again...then may I direct you to CoD and Madden.  Both of those games do that lol ;).  And they are rightfully criticized for it.

Please don't encourage MMORPG makers to make the CoD of MMORPGs...because believe me, they would love to sell you the same thing with a slightly different look every year for $60.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?