Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Fastest-Selling MMO in History

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by expresso
    Think Blizzard might disgree.  just saying

totaly agreed

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Just looking at the title, one would have already guessed, but damn is this thread so hot!

The OP was detailed though. I don't think it can be interpreted any other way. There is no other MMO in history that sold as much as GW2 did in its first 9 months outing. No need for an addendum...that's that. =/

Lol, and it actually offends some people?

I know, right?   The way some of these people post, I picture them with their arms folded, rocking quickly back and forth in their chairs, shaking their heads with tears streaming down their faces.   The mentality of, " I don't like the game, therefore it can't be successful"  is just so weird, but in a humorous way.   /shrug

Oh well....

The more hilarious thing is people who think "fastest selling game" means something. It simply doesn't. Buying a game and continuing to play it are two very different things. The empty servers show people do not continue to play it after they buy.

Most hilarious thing is that in most of those cases, no one ever says anything about GW2 being great or successful game. Most of the time, it is one simple fact, like "fastest selling". This is as objective as it gets, not claiming it is great, not saying it is even a good thing. But there are people that feel the need to put every single little thing in negative light. Where does it come from? That hate.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Just for the record I'm not criticising GW2 I'm criticising PR spin from Arenanet and others are doing the same, this is only news to overshadow the consistent down trend (or in accounting speak "stable") in revenue and is meaningless with an MMO. Concurrent and unique log ins matter the most but where are those stats? Blizzard puts them out for Diablo 3, why? because they are impressive and promote the game but Arenanet don't do the same because? they are not so impressive?

When TESO releases expect GW2 to lose their unique snowflake title, then maybe it'll go to EQN and then Titan as most downloaded MMO's in history which would be another meaningless title. I also play GW2 casually, love the open world game dislike the Living Story part and the underhanded nerfs to force players to the gem market but I mainly don't like spin as it obscuring the real story that GW2 box sales have fallen of a cliff, the focus now is 100% on the gem store and "course correction" remember it took Warhammer about 18 months to hit maintenance mode and Ncsoft don't do maintenance mode.

Lets hope the changes to how they develop the game keep the gem shop going as that needs to stay buoyant to keep the game afloat. Though unlike f2p games they don't have anything in the shop that is essential to progression ie consumables and once everyone has what they want and all the gold they need with no more box sales where is the new money going to come from? 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Just for the record I'm not criticising GW2 I'm criticising PR spin from Arenanet and others are doing the same, this is only news to overshadow the consistent down trend (or in accounting speak "stable") in revenue and is meaningless with an MMO. Concurrent and unique log ins matter the most but where are those stats? Blizzard puts them out for Diablo 3, why? because they are impressive and promote the game but Arenanet don't do the same because? they are not so impressive?

When TESO releases expect GW2 to lose their unique snowflake title, then maybe it'll go to EQN and then Titan as most downloaded MMO's in history which would be another meaningless title. I also play GW2 casually, love the open world game dislike the Living Story part and the underhanded nerfs to force players to the gem market but I mainly don't like spin as it obscuring the real story that GW2 box sales have fallen of a cliff, the focus now is 100% on the gem store and "course correction" remember it took Warhammer about 18 months to hit maintenance mode and Ncsoft don't do maintenance mode.

Lets hope the changes to how they develop the game keep the gem shop going as that needs to stay buoyant to keep the game afloat. Though unlike f2p games they don't have anything in the shop that is essential to progression ie consumables and once everyone has what they want and all the gold they need with no more box sales where is the new money going to come from? 

You mean like the nerfs that give everyone achievement chests with more gold than most casual players would make?

You mean like the nerfs of the 5000 achievement point chest that give 400 gems?

You mean like the nerfs that include an account wide wallet?

You mean like the nerfs that saw an addition of more tab space for festival materials?

You mean like the Queen pavillion, that is a huge farming spot?

Or the new champion loot bag?

Or giving a kite and mini pet pack for free to people that had bought gems?

Gems pay for the Live team. NCSoft pays for people working on expansions.

GW2 made something like $240M.

Even if GW2 developments costs were $100M (I doubt it was more than $20-30M) it already made $140M profit.

NCSoft has GW1 up and running and GW1 didn't make $240M in its life time.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Originally posted by Volkon
    So basically, no matter how you slice the numbers, WoW and GW2 are the two big dogs in the kennel surrounded by packs of yipping chihuahuas. 

Yet people still say GW2 is a failure somehow.

Never can prevent ignorant "gamers" from posting, sadly.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Expansions don't count. Vanilla WoW  didn't sell 3 millions within a year..

And why expansions don't count? or we count expansions only when it is convenient to make case in favor of GW2?

Because expansions are additions to an already released game.

Which makes it even more difficult to sell it in huge numbers because it is an expansion. And yet Blizzard does it every time.

It is just very convenient to not count expansion numbers because they make GW2 numbers look bad. I consider every expansion as a game in itself considering the amount of content it adds to already existing game.

mmmm.  your obstinance is grand young one.  go suck on a popsickle.

• xRegicidexxRegicidex Member Posts: 2

Bloody hell,the amount of hate spewed on Gw2 here is too damn high.I'm not sure whether any constructive criticism even counts on this thread with all the QQ haters bashing this and bashing that,but I've played Gw2 since Lost Shores and I gotta simply say I had an awesome frikkin time.Gw2 has it's faults,like the lack of in-depth story in the Living World,the endgame needing more meat to be sumptuous...but W/E man.The good points of Gw2 by far out weights the bad points and nobody can question the dedication the Anet devs put into the game.They totally deserved a new milestone of success,and I for one believe that they have way more than 3mil players,they had 3mil even by January or something.A game like Gw2 won't simply drop people off that fast.Actual record figures of over 3mil will probably be released when they think it's more dramatic,like at the anniv,or the start of next year.

I play on server Sea of Sorrows and there's a sh*tload of people there on most o the maps at all times.Can't speak for other server populations but I'm pretty certain most of em are the same.Just saying because some people here seem to assume the playerbase is dead for some unknown reason.

Speaking for myself,it's the best mmo I've ever played.And no,trolls,it's not the first.I'm a casual gamer but I've at least played a dozen if not more,to endgame.But wth...why try to reason with forum QQ trolls :)

Tl;dr Gratz Arenanet,keep up the awesome work!

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

And Skyrim sold for over 10 million in under a month? And that was just in North/South America. It's all nice but once TESO releases it will just blow GW2 numbers down the drain.   Also the term "MMO" is starting to be too mainstream.  Who cares if a MMO has 500 or 50 million players? The MMO with 50 million players you won't even play with 0.0001% of the player base within a 10 year span.  And those MMO's with a huge population, admit it or not, we consider 95% of the players being idiots who don't know how to play so in the end you're playing by yourself or with a select few that you consider friends. I'd much rather play a nice niche game with a kick ass community that you can grow into and have a blast. 

Like graphics on a MMO, these numbers mean nothing. The most important number will be 2-3 years from now : How many will still be active?  ... Diablo 3 anyone?   

• nathanknaacknathanknaack Level Designer - CCP GamesMember UncommonPosts: 27

WoW is most of the reason there are even 3 million MMO players out there in the first place. :)

Ask any MMO developer who competes with WoW what they think of WoW and you might be surprised by their answer. Even though few of them will ever get as many customers, they love that WoW exists because it's bringing more people into the market.

Remember, before WoW, all we had was EVE, EQ, AO, UO, and a handful of smaller titles whose subscribers barely added up to one million. Then WoW came along and suddenly there were 12+ million MMO players, most of whom are eagerly looking for their next game these days.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamer

And Skyrim sold for over 10 million in under a month? And that was just in North/South America. It's all nice but once TESO releases it will just blow GW2 numbers down the drain.   Also the term "MMO" is starting to be too mainstream.  Who cares if a MMO has 500 or 50 million players? The MMO with 50 million players you won't even play with 0.0001% of the player base within a 10 year span.  And those MMO's with a huge population, admit it or not, we consider 95% of the players being idiots who don't know how to play so in the end you're playing by yourself or with a select few that you consider friends. I'd much rather play a nice niche game with a kick ass community that you can grow into and have a blast. 

Like graphics on a MMO, these numbers mean nothing. The most important number will be 2-3 years from now : How many will still be active?  ... Diablo 3 anyone?   

Hmm - let us see Padwan. We don't really have that much info on TESO but everything I have read, it will be a GW2/WoW wanna-be.

hmm 300x300 Storage: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow (Part 1)

hmm

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Yay, I was not one of them.  Thanks mostly to playing the beta and knowing when not to buy an MMO having previously learned my lesson from pre-ordering such things like Champions Online.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by nathanknaack

WoW is most of the reason there are even 3 million MMO players out there in the first place. :)

Ask any MMO developer who competes with WoW what they think of WoW and you might be surprised by their answer. Even though few of them will ever get as many customers, they love that WoW exists because it's bringing more people into the market.

Remember, before WoW, all we had was EVE, EQ, AO, UO, and a handful of smaller titles whose subscribers barely added up to one million. Then WoW came along and suddenly there were 12+ million MMO players, most of whom are eagerly looking for their next game these days.

Why do you bring up the history of mmorpg? this thread is about the fastest selling mmorpg, not the most popular. All i said was expansions don't count and as this was within 9 months WoW didn't even have an expansion, they didn't have an expansion released within a year either. Expansions are additions to a game, much like a game update but much bigger. It's not the vanilla, it's not the core of the game. Do you understand?

WoW doesn't have 12 million players at the moment, it had during its prime a few years ago but that's over now. WoW have 6-8 million players and the number is slowly decreasing.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by doodphace

I agree with everything you just said...now back on topic to the post you quoted and then went completely defensive and off topic....are you actually saying boxes sold means just as much as active player numbers in the MMO world?

I swear to god...only on the MMORPG.com forums does this happen to this extent lol.

My involvement in this thread history as literally gone as follows:

ME: Claiming to be the fastest selling is all well and good, but they should announce active player

Responder: Ya, but SWTOR failed for XYZ

ME: Thats cool...now back on topic...they need to announce active players and not boxes sold

Responder: ZOMG GW2 is not dead!!, there are all the reason why GW2 is better than SWTOR xxxxxxx

ME: Thats also cool and I agree with you, now back on topic...box sales doesnt matter in the MMO world, only active players

Responder: So you are saying SWTOR server merges doesnt mean they were losing players?????

ME: ....grabs gun and shoots self.....

You said if boxes sold was the only metric than SWTOR would be a success as well but it is in fact a failure.

That seems to imply GW2 is potentially not a financial success.

I went on to explain SWTOR would be a success with their 2 million boxes sold if it hadn't merged servers, hadn't caused the layoff of a ton of people and changed its paying model from P2P to F2P.

Note that the new SWTOR F2P can be or not a financial success - only time will tell, only the original SWTOR P2P was a financial failure.

It is not my fault that you don't really have numbers or other related facts to prove GW2 isn't a success. Financially it is a success - when products aren't people are fired.

Who the f**k mention GW2 not being financial successes? I never once impled GW2 was not a success, and have stressed the opposite in every single post iv made, you are literally ignoring that to try and flip the discussion away form active player numbers....stop, for the love of god, trying to bring other MMOs into the discussion and try and make it seem like im shitting on GW2....thats all you guys do....any comment said that doesnt = "ZOMG GW2 IS THE GREATEST THING EVER" is apprently said person claiming the game failed?

What I said was, SWTOR had (and bragged about) the title of being the fastest selling MMO in history before GW2, and look where that ended up, implying continued active players is the vastly more important number to announce....why the hell are all you guys sooooo against Anet releasing actual active player numbers???

Like, you literally quoted a post that agreed with everything you said, and stressed again that GW2 was a success, yet you added in a jab about how you are sorry that i dont have the numbers to back up my claim of how it failed? Are you and I both reading the same thing? Do we both speak the same language? lol

But, know these forums, this post gonna again get flipped into me saying GW2 was a faileur of some sort lol

Let me try one more time..

GW2 is an amzing finiancial success....now please announce active player numbers instead of  "boxes sold" so that we really know how well the game continues to perform, and all of the nay sayers can be silenced

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I Bought the box, i love the game, it is high quality but i regularly take breaks from the game for weeks at a time.  I am 'active' when i play. Trying to 'measure' the quality of a game by its 'active' members is misleading (beyond the point where it can support its player base and conitnue to evolve), and pointless in the case of games not feeeding on subscriptions.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

I agree with everything you just said...now back on topic to the post you quoted and then went completely defensive and off topic....are you actually saying boxes sold means just as much as active player numbers in the MMO world?

I swear to god...only on the MMORPG.com forums does this happen to this extent lol.

ME: Claiming to be the fastest selling is all well and good, but they should announce active player

ME: Thats cool...now back on topic...they need to announce active players and not boxes sold

Responder: ZOMG GW2 is not dead!!, there are all the reason why GW2 is better than SWTOR xxxxxxx

ME: Thats also cool and I agree with you, now back on topic...box sales doesnt matter in the MMO world, only active players

Responder: So you are saying SWTOR server merges doesnt mean they were losing players?????

You said if boxes sold was the only metric than SWTOR would be a success as well but it is in fact a failure.

I went on to explain SWTOR would be a success with their 2 million boxes sold if it hadn't merged servers, hadn't caused the layoff of a ton of people and changed its paying model from P2P to F2P.

Note that the new SWTOR F2P can be or not a financial success - only time will tell, only the original SWTOR P2P was a financial failure.

It is not my fault that you don't really have numbers or other related facts to prove GW2 isn't a success. Financially it is a success - when products aren't people are fired.

GW2 is an amzing finiancial success....now please announce active player numbers instead of  "boxes sold" so that we really know how well the game continues to perform, and all of the nay sayers can be silenced

They announced it a few weeks ago. 2.5 million active players per week.

Also notice that the 3 million boxes sold was in January..they might as well have sold 5 or 6 millions by now.

I'm sure they will announce it next when it release in China.

Who the f**k mention GW2 not being financial successes? I never once impled GW2 was not a success, and have stressed the opposite in every single post iv made, you are literally ignoring that to try and flip the discussion away form active player numbers....stop, for the love of god, trying to bring other MMOs into the discussion and try and make it seem like im shitting on GW2....thats all you guys do....any comment said that doesnt = "ZOMG GW2 IS THE GREATEST THING EVER" is apprently said person claiming the game failed?

What I said was, SWTOR had (and bragged about) the title of being the fastest selling MMO in history before GW2, and look where that ended up, implying continued active players is the vastly more important number to announce....why the hell are all you guys sooooo against Anet releasing actual active player numbers???

Like, you literally quoted a post that agreed with everything you said, and stressed again that GW2 was a success, yet you added in a jab about how you are sorry that i dont have the numbers to back up my claim of how it failed? Are you and I both reading the same thing? Do we both speak the same language? lol

But, know these forums, this post gonna again get flipped into me saying GW2 was a faileur of some sort lol

Let me try one more time..

You still trying to draw parallels between SWTOR and GW2.

Let me remind you that SWTOR did indeed sold a bunch of boxes and less than 4 months after it was having problems. 4 months, not 1 year.

I don't have player numbers, you don't have player numbers.

If GW2 has player problems they haven't caused any kind of response.

MMORPGs having player problems generally seem to have something happening. GW2 might be an exception, though.

Note, I'm not saying GW2 has this or those many players. I don't notice lack of players but that is just my personal experience. 

Just so I know what are the nay sayers saying?

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Also notice that the 3 million boxes sold was in January..they might as well have sold 5 or 6 millions by now.

They didn't announce any number of active players.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

They never announced that... Stop telling lies....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Yes they did. If you don't believe me, try search on google to find the post by ArenaNet.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Skyrim sold over 10 million copies in 3 months..

and all thos people want to play the next game in the series, the elder scrolls online..

By this time next year be prepared to see a new champion

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Yes they did. If you don't believe me, try search on google to find the post by ArenaNet.

It was a Google translation from a Chinese site. Those numbers, which were said to be mistranslated by some claimed native speakers on this site, were promptly taken down and replaced with YouTube and Facebook numbers which also appear to translate wrong. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Just looking at the title, one would have already guessed, but damn is this thread so hot!

The OP was detailed though. I don't think it can be interpreted any other way. There is no other MMO in history that sold as much as GW2 did in its first 9 months outing. No need for an addendum...that's that. =/

Lol, and it actually offends some people?

I know, right?   The way some of these people post, I picture them with their arms folded, rocking quickly back and forth in their chairs, shaking their heads with tears streaming down their faces.   The mentality of, " I don't like the game, therefore it can't be successful"  is just so weird, but in a humorous way.   /shrug

Oh well....

It all comes down to personal insecurities, and it tends to go both ways with each game.  If someone condemns a game as bad, especially if done publicly on forums such as these, that judgment becomes intrinsically tied to the judge's identity.  It would be powerful enough if this all just happened subconsciously, but on forums like these, many posters very consciously become active critics of certain games, which only increases the intensity of the effect.  If the game goes on to fail, the poster will feel validated; but if it goes on to succeed, it would then reflect that poster's poor judgment.  Rather than accept that, the inclination is usually to try to reframe the proposed success as failure.  

Conversely, if someone praises a game as good, especially if done publicly on forums such as these, that judgment also becomes intrinsically linked to the judge's identity.  They become advocates and ambassadors of the game.  If the game goes on to succeed, the poster will feel validated; but if it goes on to fail, that would reflect poorly on the poster's judgment.  If the data begins to indicate the game is isn't doing well, the advocate will attempt to reframe the data in such a way to make the game actually seem successful.

Of course, rarely does a game resoundingly fail or succeed.  These are just the black and white words people on both sides like to use.  People are also adept at manipulating definitions of key terms to best suit their own arguments and preserve the rightness of their own judgments on a game.  

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Skyrim sold over 10 million copies in 3 months..

and all thos people want to play the next game in the series, the elder scrolls online..

By this time next year be prepared to see a new champion

Depends if it's B2P or a subscription. If there's a subscription fee, less people are interested and not so many are eager to play an mmorpg, they want single player.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Unfortunatly I am one of those 3m. Lesson learnt tho, no more pre-orders.

I learned mine with AION.

I hope I get the point soon :/ 

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

The thing you are referring to, with 2.5 mil, was a) from a few months after launch, and b) was an estimate form a chinese website (which i'm not saying is good or bad)....it wasn't official numbers released by Anet, which is what im asking for...On a more serious note, you really shouldn't get your news from the mmorpg.com forums...like, even the most frothing at the mouth GW2 fanboy will tell you Anet has never released active player numbers....

How much do you want to bet the facts im stating above will be taken as anti GW2? lol