Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fixed

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

EDIT: looks like they fixed all the servers by adding a queue.   Fantastic!

Comments

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224
    New character restrictions are constantly updating.  If you really want to play on Leviathan, keep checking back.
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    There's no way of knowing, I'd take a guess that it's for this whole weekend and it'll open up again on early access. They won't be closed come game launch, so you'll get in at the latest then.
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

So my IRL friends and Guild are on the Leviathan server, but it says I can't create a character on this server because its full.  I have to wait for the restriction to be lifted, but it gives no indication of when this will be.  A few hours?  Few days?  Next year maybe? 

So my options are either to 1) Not play with the people I play games with or 2) not play Final Fantasy?   Unless they are going to allow free server switches at launch, its looking like 2) is the correct choice.

Servers fill up early at the beginning of every AAA MMO I've played. 

Not sure how they would know when the restriction would be lifted to give this information to you.   If a server is full then it has reached capacity.  It'll be full until it no longer is at capacity, which is decided by players playing on it or not.

Server switches at launch seem extremely likely as well.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

This was poor planning, plain and simple.  Give a warning to player's creating characters on a full server that there WILL be queue times, or whatever.  But to completely disallow it is ridiculous, and turns off anyone who plays with a clan, their wife/husband, friends, anything.

If they offer free server transfers at launch that will help remedy this, but it seems highly unlikely to me this will happen, unless someone has seen them mention it.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

This was poor planning, plain and simple.  Give a warning to player's creating characters on a full server that there WILL be queue times, or whatever.  But to completely disallow it is ridiculous, and turns off anyone who plays with a clan, their wife/husband, friends, anything.

If they offer free server transfers at launch that will help remedy this, but it seems highly unlikely to me this will happen, unless someone has seen them mention it.

They are updating the servers min by min. My wife got in and I could not, I kept restarting my client like reddit suggested and 5 min later I was in. Lots of my guildies did this and got in, Just keep trying every few min you will get in.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Odds are these restrictions are based on how many folks are in the starter areas and as they clear out they lift the restrictions for a bit and let the next wave in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

It's technically beta, i don't think they really care atm whether everyone gets in or not. They will care when early access starts. Stop being dramatic and keep looking at server updates, it changes frequently.

• teknotazteknotaz Member UncommonPosts: 112
    i will not be able to play until tomorrow so i hope i can make a toon on the server i want.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

This tends to be a theme with all MMO releases.  Either just fiddle around on another server for a bit, or just hold off until you can make your character on the server you desire.

It isn't like waiting a few hours is going to kill your entire experience with an MMORPG that could last a person years.

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301
    First world problems.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Torcip

It's technically beta, i don't think they really care atm whether everyone gets in or not. They will care when early access starts. Stop being dramatic and keep looking at server updates, it changes frequently.

It's most likely that people get to keep their characters so it's not quite a typical beta phase.  And it's short.

In this day and age well made MMORPGs usually have better ways to keep friends/guilds together and if they don't have that kind of thing now, it's unlikely they'll have it a week from now.  This isn't the kind of beta issue that they'll resolve in a few days.

/shrug

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    Why dont you call up your friend and tell them to make a charecter at exactly the time you do ?
  • sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by nickster29

This tends to be a theme with all MMO releases.  Either just fiddle around on another server for a bit, or just hold off until you can make your character on the server you desire.

It isn't like waiting a few hours is going to kill your entire experience with an MMORPG that could last a person years.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Been checking back in every 10 minutes or so, server always full.  Weren't queue's invented like back in 2000?  
    Been checking back in every 10 minutes or so, server always full.  Weren't queue's invented like back in 2000?  

It has nothing to do with queues, they disabled character creation for certain servers to ease congestion.  If you are too impatient to wait for them to open up again then play on another server or shelf it until the game actually releases.

• casper333333casper333333 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Yea just kept checkin back and finally it opened up so no they aren't locked for the weekend.

Call up your friend and make a toon at exactly the same time !

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

I really do wish they did like GW2 in this regard.

Have a Queue system and an "Overflow" system where if the server you want to play on is full, you can still make a character and play the game on the overflow, and once a spot is available you can go into the main serer.

Originally posted by Stiler

Have a Queue system and an "Overflow" system where if the server you want to play on is full, you can still make a character and play the game on the overflow, and once a spot is available you can go into the main serer.

It's probably a tech that they didn't want to take the time to develop for a problem that would really only exist in the first week or two.

Originally posted by Stiler

That crap that GW2 did with the overflow screwed up our guild events for the first month !

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well there are more sides to this book's cover.

Maybe it was VERY good planning,maybe they don't want to even have the chance that tons of players might all trip to the same server and crash it.

It would of course be a good way to further test server stability,but Square never had a problem with that in FFXI,even when over crowded.On launch they will have the proper amount of players they need per server.They will of course restrict movement ,somewhat to keep players from switching back n forth abusing various economies.

You know the purpose of Beta is to let the developer know what you want,not just get free game time.if you really want to make sure FRIENDS can be on the same server,let them know through feedback.I have never had a problem in FFXI ,so i fore see no problems here either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

So my IRL friends and Guild are on the Leviathan server, but it says I can't create a character on this server because its full.  I have to wait for the restriction to be lifted, but it gives no indication of when this will be.  A few hours?  Few days?  Next year maybe? 

So my options are either to 1) Not play with the people I play games with or 2) not play Final Fantasy?   Unless they are going to allow free server switches at launch, its looking like 2) is the correct choice.

Servers fill up early at the beginning of every AAA MMO I've played. 

Not sure how they would know when the restriction would be lifted to give this information to you.   If a server is full then it has reached capacity.  It'll be full until it no longer is at capacity, which is decided by players playing on it or not.

Server switches at launch seem extremely likely as well.

this... it isnt their fault you were slow to make your character. With ANY AAA MMO you need to plan in advance with your friends and if you cant make a toon first off with your friends let a trusted friend do it for you. This isnt ideal but its the only way to asure you get to play with your friends or... you all reroll to a low pop server.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

To those saying 'it's your fault'...

Every single EU server is now locked!

I'm pretty sure that leaves us with no option at all.

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Alberel

To those saying 'it's your fault'...

Every single EU server is now locked!

I'm pretty sure that leaves us with no option at all.

Yes - that's a real issue..... I could create a character on NA - but then any progress I make would be wasted (or I'd have to put up with playing at the wrong times for the rest of the server). Only 5 servers for the whole of the EU. However did they imagine that would be enough?

I could keep trying - but my guess is that I'm not going to get in at all until 11pm or later - and only then if they open new slots.

And I was so looking forwards to playing tonight.

If it's like this today, then what's launch day going to be like?

Small update: Ragnarok is now accepting players. So I get the option of playing with the legacy folks. Not sure I want to take that quite yet

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Small update - I'm now in. Cerberus server. Not my first, or even second choice. But at least it's EU!