Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To anyone thinking of trying EVE: There are NO safe places

12346»

Comments

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by Broomy

I'm not a new player, but I have always been a "carebear" type, preferring Indy and mining over PVP, staying in High sec space, etc.  Well the "Carebear" archtype was finally revealed to be a lie when I got blown up in high sec recently.  Also got a 3/4 Billion bounty placed on me for stepping into the wrong public chat room and telling a boy gamerz to shove after he told me to suck his you-know-what. 

Just a word of warning to the newbies...there are NO SAFE PLACES in EVE.  High sec is a lie, you can get ganked anywhere, there are pirates with multiple accounts that can gank you, get blown up by Concord and have one of their many alts loot your wreck.  Some jerk could place a bounty on you just for saying something in a chat room that he doesn't like. 

The idea of high sec is a marketing ploy to get more people to try the game, including the lucrative carebear/casuals that don't like high death penalties in MMOs.  I will repeat, you can get ganked anywhere in EVE.  There are players in the game with dozens of alts, that can do a lot to cause grief for the non-pvp types.    If you like PVP, EVE is for you.  If your a PVER, you may want to avoid it.

Right you are Broomy, right you are.

Anyone here that says otherwise is just trying to encourage new inexperienced Players to try out EvE so the Pierats have more victims. Old strategy but still works like a champ.

Just like the fictitious "marketing ploy", I don't think there's been a post here where an EVE player ever told someone anything other than "you can get ganked anywhere." I'd love to see the post where an EVE player said otherwise.

You are correct. Most say the same as this one, but there have been a few posts now and then, expounding EvE's virtues and great PvE gameplay in HiSec , while making sure their suicide alt is ready.

Depending on what you do, it doesn't take much to get the attention of the Pirates, honest and otherwise. If you are for instance a Miner, it only takes a week or two before you get someone telling you that you "need" to buy a "Mining License" or risk attack. There are many other things a Player can do in EvE to draw attention to themselves even if they don't want it.

Broomy was talking about Carebears, and so was I, from being one myself and playing the game for over 4 years, and I can say for a fact that if a Player is a Carebear it is only a matter of time before they become a Target of other Players in EvE. That's just how EvE is. The only real safeguard against this sort of gameplay is to join a 0.0 Corp/Alliance if you can. Then I understand you have a relatively "secure" time playing EvE.

On average, you are approximately 16 times more likely to lose a ship in 0.0 than you are in hi-sec.

Nevertheless, there seems to be this idea that ship loss risk for some people should be zero. The EVE economy absolutely depends on item destruction and replacement. Can you explain to me why you think certain categories of players ("Carebears") should be allowed to accumulate assets indefinitely and never have to risk losing them?

Additionally, do you think you can answer the question I posed above:

I have used both my main and more often alts to make ISK in hi-sec for nearly 7 years now. I have never been suicide ganked even once. I have some nicely fitted mission ships, and I routinely fly in and out of Jita with valuable items.

And yet I have never been ganked.

Can you explain how this can be? It certainly isn't because people are scared of me or even my alliance.

I was thinking about this a few days ago. The explanation is called confirmation bias. If someone believes EVE isn't 'carebear' friendly, and then gets ganked, they assume their experience is true for everyone else. And yes, this bias can go the other way as well...if some players avoid gankers (as you and I both have), we assume it is easy to do.  Of course we couldn't know the truth unless we had data showing the frequency of such attacks.

But I suspect that ganking is far less likely than the fear surrounding it suggests. 

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

@ Hazzelle

this sounds like the exact opposite of how I played EvE. In fact, this type of play would be hated by me. You know what's great?YOU figured out a workaround to YOUR playstyle in a game dominated by PvP. I applaud you good sir.

Thanks for posting a seasoned, tried-and-tested method that works for you. I think that for people that are looking for answers to how to only do PvE, mining and no PvP activities...this should be required reading.

To the OP:

You are paying to play a game that you obviously either didn't research prior or ignored. You alone are responsible for your lack of knowledge. Not knowing the speed limit doesn't stop you from receiving a traffic ticket. Either learn from your mistake or stay miserable. 

Losing your ship, isk, clone, shinies is inevitable. Your response is what determines your future. 

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by sancher36
    Originally posted by mCalvert

I'm not a new player, but I have always been a "carebear" type, preferring Indy and mining over PVP, staying in High sec space, etc.  Well the "Carebear" archtype was finally revealed to be a lie when I got blown up in high sec recently.  Also got a 3/4 Billion bounty placed on me for stepping into the wrong public chat room and telling a boy gamerz to shove after he told me to suck his you-know-what. 

Just a word of warning to the newbies...there are NO SAFE PLACES in EVE.  High sec is a lie, you can get ganked anywhere, there are pirates with multiple accounts that can gank you, get blown up by Concord and have one of their many alts loot your wreck.  Some jerk could place a bounty on you just for saying something in a chat room that he doesn't like. 

The idea of high sec is a marketing ploy to get more people to try the game, including the lucrative carebear/casuals that don't like high death penalties in MMOs.  I will repeat, you can get ganked anywhere in EVE.  There are players in the game with dozens of alts, that can do a lot to cause grief for the non-pvp types.    If you like PVP, EVE is for you.  If your a PVER, you may want to avoid it.

Um, duh? I thought we all knew that pirates ships run on carebear tears.

In fact this is what all new MMO players should START with EVE. Then all other games will seem easy by comparison.

I would love to pod kill this guy :) 

Wouldn't be the first time! Lemme just clone jump first.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Originally posted by nennafir

It is not about skill, but more about time played.

I am continually amazed by the people who like a pvp system based on time played rather than skill.

Too many people are too addicted to their crutches...

You just described almost every MMO other than EVE.

Level disparity and gear-dependency are the most important factors in combat in most MMOs. In EVE, your applicable skill level in any combat scenario is capped, as the only skills you can use are those that apply to the ship and modules you are using at the time - all others are immaterial. On the gear side of things, most MMOs take you through a horizontal line of gear, with each prev piece becoming useless over time, necessitating having the next higher piece to continue to be effective. In EVE, even in battles waged by entrenched alliances of players who have been around for years, you will often find hundreds of frigates and battlecruisers present. Combine those two, and a character several months old in EVE is on a far more level playing field with a character that is several years old than the same scenario in most other MMOs.

Of all the things that can affect the outcome of battle in EVE, time played is one of the most marginal factors.

You say that,,,and yet,,,EVE is the only MMO out there that increases skill when you are logged out...  This is very obviously the most "time played" friendly system you could come up with.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I am continually amazed by the people who like a pvp system based on time played rather than skill.

Level disparity and gear-dependency are the most important factors in combat in most MMOs. In EVE, your applicable skill level in any combat scenario is capped, as the only skills you can use are those that apply to the ship and modules you are using at the time - all others are immaterial. On the gear side of things, most MMOs take you through a horizontal line of gear, with each prev piece becoming useless over time, necessitating having the next higher piece to continue to be effective. In EVE, even in battles waged by entrenched alliances of players who have been around for years, you will often find hundreds of frigates and battlecruisers present. Combine those two, and a character several months old in EVE is on a far more level playing field with a character that is several years old than the same scenario in most other MMOs.

Of all the things that can affect the outcome of battle in EVE, time played is one of the most marginal factors.

You say that,,,and yet,,,EVE is the only MMO out there that increases skill when you are logged out...  This is very obviously the most "time played" friendly system you could come up with.

However, it doesn't increase stats through gameplay. More importantly, only a fraction of those skills will be relevant to any particular scenario the player engages in, partially because there is a finite amount of skills that apply to any given set up.

Again, time played is one of the factors that contribute least to the outcome of a battle in EVE Online, where it is one of the most significant in most mainstream MMOs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

Is it that hard to understand that the skill system in eve is much more based on horizontal progression than in most games you're used to? A 2m SP pilot is exactly at the same level as a 150M SP pilot when flying a small ship with the core skills maxed. And there is no such thing as a ship progression either that is based on SP either. You do not unlock 'better' ships with more SP. Your argument of training skills 24/7 is completly irrelevant because during any situation you are only making use of a limited amount of SP. And people don't usually fly things witouth most of their support skills trained up.

next

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Have you ever played poker?

How many cards are in your hand at any given time?

If I played with a full deck of cards and you played with half a deck how many cards are still in our hands at any given time?

Have you ever played rock paper scissors?

How many of those three are you able to use in each round?

Imagine if I'm able to use all three but you can only only use scissors and paper.  I commit to rock and you commit to paper and we cross paths; who's going to win the encounter?  How does my knowing scissors help me when I've commited to rock and you've commited to paper?

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273

...   If you like PVP, EVE is for you.  If your a PVER, you may want to avoid it.

If you want just o pvp be prepared to sink huge amount of real money or to make eve a second job.

To be signifiant you need to spend at least 5-6$$ on  ship and fit that you can lose in seconds. This can easily go to 50 -100$ if you want a capital ship and hundreds to thausants if you want supercap.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by apanz3r

...   If you like PVP, EVE is for you.  If your a PVER, you may want to avoid it.

If you want just o pvp be prepared to sink huge amount of real money or to make eve a second job.

To be signifiant you need to spend at least 5-6$$ on  ship and fit that you can lose in seconds. This can easily go to 50 -100$ if you want a capital ship and hundreds to thausants if you want supercap.

apanz3r, you make it very clear in each thread that that you don't like EVE, which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and share your opinions on the game is good. However, your posts have long since shifted from why you don't like EVE to simply making crap up. I miss the old, disgruntled apanz3r. This new one just spouts lies and that's not helpful or constructive.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I'm not much of a PVPer, myself. But the ever present danger is what makes EVE exciting. Despite being a carebear at heart, I wouldn't have it any other way.

<3

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    The title of this thread says it all.   It is the primary reason I quit EVE and will never go back.  It's too bad, EVE had a lot of cool things, but forced PVP is not among them for me.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    I am a complete NOOB in EVE OK. I been playing a trial for the past week so here is my view on this.

The OP must have assumed that Hi-sec is 100% save. WRONG no place in space is 100% safe and it says so here. I checked it out before signing up for the trial.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/A_Beginner%27s_Guide_to_EVE_Online#-_Security_Status

1.0 - 0.5 you are generally considered 'safe'. In these "hi sec" systems, CONCORD patrols each system and will quickly hunt down and destroy any ship that partakes in unauthorized (criminal) aggression. Be weary, however, as suicidal criminals can occasionally destroy your ship before CONCORD arrives. CONCORD's response time varies from a few seconds in 1.0 space to about 20 seconds in 0.5 space.

I am still on the fence about making a sub though because the game is more about PvP than anything else. I was hoping I could explore and find data, relic sites but seems that this requires a lot of skill points to even be effective or a corporation if you plan to go into low–sec. Maybe later that changes when able to cloak but that appears to be months away. I been in 10 systems ranging from 1.0 to .5 and have yet to find any site other than wormhc or combat sites. The fact that it has been a complete waste of time for me spending several hours scanning a system only to find nothing has led to discouragement.

I didn’t train a lot of combat and fly a IMICUS so I am a sitting duck if I travel alone and since I am not really interested in combat as a major part of gaming I think the game is not my cup of tea.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by ArChWind
    I am a complete NOOB in EVE OK. I been playing a trial for the past week so here is my view on this.

The OP must have assumed that Hi-sec is 100% save. WRONG no place in space is 100% safe and it says so here. I checked it out before signing up for the trial.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/A_Beginner%27s_Guide_to_EVE_Online#-_Security_Status

1.0 - 0.5 you are generally considered 'safe'. In these "hi sec" systems, CONCORD patrols each system and will quickly hunt down and destroy any ship that partakes in unauthorized (criminal) aggression. Be weary, however, as suicidal criminals can occasionally destroy your ship before CONCORD arrives. CONCORD's response time varies from a few seconds in 1.0 space to about 20 seconds in 0.5 space.

I am still on the fence about making a sub though because the game is more about PvP than anything else. I was hoping I could explore and find data, relic sites but seems that this requires a lot of skill points to even be effective or a corporation if you plan to go into low–sec. Maybe later that changes when able to cloak but that appears to be months away. I been in 10 systems ranging from 1.0 to .5 and have yet to find any site other than wormhc or combat sites. The fact that it has been a complete waste of time for me spending several hours scanning a system only to find nothing has led to discouragement.

I didn’t train a lot of combat and fly a IMICUS so I am a sitting duck if I travel alone and since I am not really interested in combat as a major part of gaming I think the game is not my cup of tea.

It's generally trivially easy to avoid a fight in EVE, so long as you are aware that there can be a fight and follow a few elementary evasive and safety techniques. I'm happy to talk about those with you if you're interested.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by ArChWind

It's generally trivially easy to avoid a fight in EVE, so long as you are aware that there can be a fight and follow a few elementary evasive and safety techniques. I'm happy to talk about those with you if you're interested.

Let's not take this off the topic to far. :)

I am going to see what else there is that interest me. I see the new stuff coming up in the next release does auto scan and some fixes which sounds interesting. I have seven days left to decide.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by apanz3r

apanz3r, you make it very clear in each thread that that you don't like EVE, which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and share your opinions on the game is good. However, your posts have long since shifted from why you don't like EVE to simply making crap up. I miss the old, disgruntled apanz3r. This new one just spouts lies and that's not helpful or constructive.

please keep the facts straigts and don;t launch personal atacks. 

If somebody wants to do ONLY PVP in eve the only option is to buy PLEX sell it for isk and buy ships. I used the convesion rates from the times i played eve. The rate may have changed but ideea is the same: you want to pvp only, be prepared to spend lots of real money. You may join some corp and get now and then a ship if some "official" war is going on but don;t keep your breath too long for that ships

Don;t even think to start pvp without 2 accounts so like 30$  in subscription plus the ships you will loose probably AT least a plex or 2 per month.  

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552
    I am astounded, "high" security means something different to "total" security? Please tell me more OP, this astonishing revelation needs to be explored further.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272
    One of the best things in EVE - you are always on the edge, never safe!

Keep on rockin'!image