Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Firefall: The Beginning of Something Great

Comments

• TLa77TLa77 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by jammerben87

Spot on review. 

I love the game and can't wait for it to improve, its getting better at every turn.

+1, definitely!

I've tried to be a good tester and provided tons of feedback of this and that, as that's close to what I do for living, it feels just natural :)

At this particular time, I wish they get the server loads to a better shape. As the way they acted after last Friday's patch, it felt that there's some 'memory leaks' that got the servers down to their "knees". Maybe they'd setup some more automate testing to loadout server build system to see if the current milestone marker can hold up with the simulated load instead of throwing the propably-unstable server set for beta tester community for a tryout "if it would work"..

Anyway, this game is very innovative and so far quite well thought. Let's hope their economy can hold up the growing demands!

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor with Antec Kühler 920 liquid cooling
    Memory: 2x4 Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
    GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1 Gb TOP
    Enclosure: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
    PSU: Enermax MODU82+ 625W
    No rotating HDD at my mouse at all, all goes on SSD.

• TLa77TLa77 Member Posts: 4

for the post one before my last one..

For the split map thing..think about how lost would someone be, if they'd just enter the game and ACCIDENTALLY jump to a dropship and be drop off to Thump dump or even better, to Northern Shores?  That would definetily get people confused..

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor with Antec Kühler 920 liquid cooling
    Memory: 2x4 Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
    GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1 Gb TOP
    Enclosure: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
    PSU: Enermax MODU82+ 625W
    No rotating HDD at my mouse at all, all goes on SSD.

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Having played both - If this game deserves a 7.7, Defiance deserves much higher than a 6.6.
  • SidQFTSidQFT Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by utvetteguy

I like the game, and enjoy what content they do have. 

Open world PVP and improving armies needs to be their focus to put the MMO into this game.

this should be there number 1 priority imo!

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Here's the deal. I log in and time passes quickly. I am enjoying the game a lot. I did not think I would. They are improving it bit by bit and I have had less lag lately. I bought the cheaper starter pack and will be buying Red Beans in the future because I want to support this game. Nothing better than being a sniper and picking off a invasion team one by one. The combat is awesome and the AI is good too.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Completely agree, what is so innovative about this game, very little!  The value is a bit ludicrous too.  

It is a fun game, but it has a ways to go to get those scores.  Lately game reviews on this site seem to be pandering to the advertising budget instead of actually giving a fair review.

Normally, I'd not respond to this kind of comment... but come on.  Go look at our recent scores. To think that ANYONE would pay for the terrible ratings of games we've reviewed lately is just ludicrous.  

Firefall's whopping 7.7 is about one of the highest the site's seen all year, and while I think it's a fair score and reflects my experience with the game, it's likely not exactly what Mr. Kern was hoping for.  Of the several dozen titles we've reviewed this year alone, only two have scored a flat 8 and none have scored higher than that.  Our review average, compared to other sites, is actually below the industry average. Just look at Metacritic if you don't believe me. Our average score over the past 80 reviews we've published is a 67/100... in other words a D grade for the industry.

I deal with publishers, developers, and PR folks all the time who think we're "too harsh", but it seems we're not harsh enough for some.

But yeah, I'll go back to rolling in my pay-off cash while naked and giggling now.

/snark

Ok Bill you make a good point on the scores.

However as someone who plays these games 10-12  hours a day, 24/7 9/10 times since early alpha I tend to see a lot more than most people playing a game. 

So that being said let me ask you this when you review a game how many hours of actual game playing is that review based on?

Too be honest I ALWAYS find your reviews and numbers to be pretty far out of wack with the reality of the actual game, however if you are basing your reviews on only a few days of limited play I could understand.

Most games are pretty ok and exciting and solid in and around the first few levels the starting areas, but fall apart the further you progress in game. Where 90% of the games out there really show their true colors is end game or lack of it.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by sheller
    A fair review, but I wish you guys had waited for the next milestone patch on the 20th. Being that it's only six days away I find that this review could have been delayed to give players a more accurate understanding of what's in the game.

Don't get too excited in my experience with them over the last two years, big patches usually equate to making something we paid for obsolete, placing a new way to get our money in game, and stealth nerfing like crazy.

Personally I am over $300 into Firefall but if they do not get a decent server that can actually carry a reasonable load soon I am done. 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I gave this game about two hours than uninstalled.

I don't know if it because I've become jaded, or just older. But if a game can't make me want to see what is next during the first couple of hours I move on. Nothing abut the intro or tutorial to Firefall drew me in, if anything it encouraged me to log out and uninstall.This game was just the latest of a long line of MMO's that fail to draw me in.

Back to WoW,... sigh.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111

Yeah , it's too hard for most people. It's a great game once you get over the fact that your hand won't be held like it is in the other 999 MMOs on the market.

I certainly don't miss being told what to do, I'm a grown man, I can decide for myself. Firefall isn't for everyone.

Christ, take away tab targeting and over half the MMO player base pisses their panties because well.. no skill, and that won't get you far in this game.

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234

I've been enjoying the game but with the latest weekend something has gone wrong and while I can log into the web site with both of my accounts I haven't been able to log into the game for over the past 48 hours. My support tickets sit unassigned and no response what-so-ever.

I love the game but the support sucks which will likely cause me to back off of the game.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Gruug

"Value = 10" ?? There is no monetary value in something that is suppose to be "free".

Also, someone said they "made a point of buying Red Beans once a month". This reminds me that this whole "f2p" thing is in fact just a sort of scam. Recently, I as reminded of a term that is used to describe such scam attempts...."ding joint". In a ding joint, mostly associated with carnivals, you have a tent or attraction that is offered to the public as "free". All kinds of little amusement items are sprinkled throughout the tent that are to keep the public interested. Then at the exit there is a bowl. Above the bowl is a sign which says "Donations". The point of the bowl is to get people to feel guilty and "contribute" something for the show. No one forces your hand into your wallet but the expectation is still there.

Value is defined by how much you have to invest and the rate of return from that investment. If you only have to play the game, meaning only time is invested, and have 60% of the content available to you, that is called Value.

Donation is not scam, if so, is free software a scam? Dropbox offers 2gb of storage online for free, with the option to upgrade. Are they making you feel bad and force you to give them some money? They give you extra value for your investment in them.

Same as F2P, or at least the good ones, they offer much of their content for free, or B2P, which offer content for a set price, like GW2, but they propose to you that, you can get even more value if you just invest a bit more. This isn't a donation, they are giving you something for your money, that's called a business.

Would you rather them charge you for extra content that you may or may not want?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• ZephlosZephlos Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by DMKano

Opinions vary but this review was far too generous.

innovation 9? Value 10?

Please.

Aesthetics IMO are 7, longevity 6 I agree, gameplay is 7 at best.

I feel that the review was overly generous, maybe because Grummz posted articles here so there is a bit of bias, again maybe I am completely wrong here but that is what it feels like to me.

overall I'd give it about 6.7, again my opinion.

Completely agree, what is so innovative about this game, very little!  The value is a bit ludicrous too.  

It is a fun game, but it has a ways to go to get those scores.  Lately game reviews on this site seem to be pandering to the advertising budget instead of actually giving a fair review.

Ohh its not being a 'sellout" per say I mean we all know they share staff with R5 and if you think that doesn't color the review well lol2u. The fact that Bill even took the time to defend his review SHOWS that he knows he was far too kind. I wont accuse him of "selling out" however I WILL question his bias on the game. 

Honestly knowing how these guys have sucked up to R5 for the last couple of years I expected them to just throw a 9 on it, but I guess they did not want to be too obvious with the pandering.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Leveling up frames and unlocking more frames is a level system .... Just saying. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

I gave this game about two hours than uninstalled.

I don't know if it because I've become jaded, or just older. But if a game can't make me want to see what is next during the first couple of hours I move on. Nothing abut the intro or tutorial to Firefall drew me in, if anything it encouraged me to log out and uninstall.This game was just the latest of a long line of MMO's that fail to draw me in.

Back to WoW,... sigh.

Nothing about wow draws people in. Its the bane of MMOs. The game is just one giant quest hub. How is that engaging? If you are looking for a more engaging experience try The Secrete World. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• DarkBykeDarkByke Member UncommonPosts: 6
    The problem with the UI and item management is that it's all handled server-side.  While it prevents hacks and cheating, it does make things slow to load since it's calling to the web to display your stuff.  Updating isn't fast enough. 
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

The game pays for ads here...in fact there's an ad for it for me right in the middle of this "review"...so the scores aren't much of a surprise.

I don't really have any interest in this game, I just wanted to see the review for giggles - and it delivered.

This game isn't really an MMORPG so it's hard to say whether it being F2P is the usual travesty but rating any game as 10 for value when it's F2P is so odd.  Value kind of means you get what you pay for, so I guess that means this game gives you nothing?

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    One to play down the line, it seems to me that F2P funding has led to a lack of content. But in other areas the game does try to do something new.
  • ReignsonReignson Member UncommonPosts: 21

I really want to like Firefall, but everytime I re-install it, I'm left with the same feelings.

The game is trying too hard to do to many things, and not really excelling at any of them enough to feel like it stands out, or has any real direction to it.

It has the pvp arenas, which are really nothing new, and the level designs are bland.

It has crafting, but it just feels like a time-sink grind-fest that's totally unnecessary.

It has instances, but not many, nor varied enough in their content or style.

It has nice "town" areas filled with tons of NPCs... that do nothing and serve no purpose.

It has public quest "invasions" that get boring quickly, unless you actually find one that has several players at it. But it's still the same style of public quest dynamic that we've seen since Warhammer and Rift did it.

It is barely a themepark, because the storyline quests are almost non-existent, yet it is not a sandbox either, because players do not make any changes to the world either.

The game I would say that it resembles the most would be Global Agenda.  But every feature the two games share in common - GA does better. 

- If Firefall decided to focus on one or two gameplay elements, and really nail them down, It could become a decent game.  Sadly their "lets add this, and this, and this, and this" mentality is killing the game.  The Devs must focus and give it a feature that truly stands out over the mess of features they currently have.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Id give it more like a 5. The fundamentals are there, but its lacking substance. And claiming to be beta while selling game elements is deceptive. As for innovation, the better word is probably originality, in that its different than other recent MMORPG

-scifi setting

-SWG like crafting

-first person twitch action

-open ended gameplay

Other than PS2, all other games coming out are standard WOW clones.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I uninstalled and runned back to planetside 2.
    What a joke of a game, running around to pray you get in time for the event that is happening 200000 miles further down the road.
    Most of the time you missed it and runned for jack ass waisting your time.
    Same npc's all over the place.

The only good thing about this game so far is the difficulty, both in crafting and contend.
    But its just the same spawns over and over and over again.

Compare this to Destiny and your in for a world of shock.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Mothanos

What a joke of a game, running around to pray you get in time for the event that is happening 200000 miles further down the road.

The only good thing about this game so far is the difficulty, both in crafting and contend.

Running around like a derp will get you that, if you just head in one direction you'll find plenty of stuff to do.

Comparing a game in beta which is currently delivering on its promises with a game which isn't even in closed beta is like me comparing you to a amoeba.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by DMKano

Opinions vary but this review was far too generous.

innovation 9? Value 10?

Please.

Aesthetics IMO are 7, longevity 6 I agree, gameplay is 7 at best.

I feel that the review was overly generous, maybe because Grummz posted articles here so there is a bit of bias, again maybe I am completely wrong here but that is what it feels like to me.

overall I'd give it about 6.7, again my opinion.

I really wasn't impressed with it at all....I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the ones that is shut down in a year or two.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Firefall is a cool game.

If you dont know it and love sandboxes, you propably have fun while the game goes forward .. ^^

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Running around like a derp will get you that, if you just head in one direction you'll find plenty of stuff to do.

Comparing a game in beta which is currently delivering on its promises with a game which isn't even in closed beta is like me comparing you to a amoeba.

I saw an amoeba in game the other night and he was doing missions just fine....oh wait...I see what you did there.