Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gender lock still on or dropped ?

Watching this the narrator talking about gender lock might have been dropped but theres no concrete evidence that this is right. Does anyone here know anything about it ? 

Comments

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by KamikazeKite

Watching this the narrator talking about gender lock might have been dropped but theres no concrete evidence that this is right. Does anyone here know anything about it ? 

Gender lock is in, although PearlAbyss are somewhat denying it.  By that I mean, they are trying to make male and female versions of the same class (see the Wizard and Sorceress who will be the male/female counterparts respectively) but they will both be gender-specific classes.  There will also apparently be no female Predator class (the giant with the two axes).

Unlike in other MMOs, I imagine character creation in Black Desert will have you pick your class first, not your race/gender.

• KamikazeKiteKamikazeKite Member Posts: 38
    Sad :( that is a major deal breaker for me. I hope they change that before release if not, then its going to be Archeage for me. And thanks bunches for the reply buddy
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Gender Lock is about the dumbest thing to ever come out of any game, I hope they change that ASAP because this game looks really solid.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• KamikazeKiteKamikazeKite Member Posts: 38
    Totally agree. also i'm not THAT exited about the class system and about the weapon choices, however i could live with that as long gender/race lock was not there.
    Totally agree. also i'm not THAT exited about the class system and about the weapon choices, however i could live with that as long gender/race lock was not there.

I think it's because they are a small company, they don't really have the resources to expand the class options to all races, and to all genders.

• Wow hearing that is a HUGE bummer. Classes and sexes being locked gives me pause, and I start to wonder what else will be locked like this? For a supposedly sandbox game it's odd that they would go this route.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Sad :( that is a major deal breaker for me. I hope they change that before release if not, then its going to be Archeage for me. And thanks bunches for the reply buddy

I love it tbh...anything to add more diversity.  To the people qqing about it...really guys, get a date out of the game and stop staring at some chicks ass.  Just saying.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I don't care how great the game is, gender locked classes will destroy it's potential popularity in the west.  I don't even care that much about it, but I can promise you a LOTTTTTTT of people do.

A new post by the pearl abyss devs states they are still considering adding a female version of the giant/predator class.  And they confirmed that there will be gender-based classes (i.e., distinctive male and female versions of a class which will not play the same).

• HoekzemaHoekzema Member Posts: 14

I found this on their facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pearl.Abyss.Black.Desert

"PearlAbyss (????) Yes, we are preparing each genders of classes, but each genders will be personalize by skills and stats. It not totally same.

We can't tell about business model now, it depends on which model publisher decides."

Sooo I guess the gender lock thing is dropped :)

Originally posted by Hoekzema

I found this on their facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pearl.Abyss.Black.Desert

"PearlAbyss (????) Yes, we are preparing each genders of classes, but each genders will be personalize by skills and stats. It not totally same.

We can't tell about business model now, it depends on which model publisher decides."

Sooo I guess the gender lock thing is dropped :)

They're saying the gender lock is in, lol.

Don't you read?

There are gender-distinctive classes.  So for archer, there will be a male and a female VERSION of the same class, but they won't be exactly the same.  Likewise with the mage/wizard.  In other words, there are more differences than just a penis or lackthereof.

They also say on their facebook page that they haven't decided whether to make a female Giant yet.

"PearlAbyss (????) we will make each genders of classes (not sure Giant class yet). You should know that male and female has a little different, we mean they are all personalized. We don't want to make it same and just look different. "

• dwarfkinglordsdwarfkinglords Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by SirBalin

I love it tbh...anything to add more diversity.  To the people qqing about it...really guys, get a date out of the game and stop staring at some chicks ass.  Just saying.

right... cuz thats the reason we want both version of each class.. listen to what people are saying before you jump to insane conclusions.. its about diversity and options

• HoekzemaHoekzema Member Posts: 14

Hah, I guess I read: We are preparing genders for every class.

I try guys, but english is obviously not everybody's first language. Don't hate on me for bringing information.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

If that's gonna stop you from buying a game, fine, but don't pretend that we won't buy it for that. The game looks great and we don't all have to look at a chick's ass to enjoy a game. Get a date out of the game like someone else said.

Diablo 2 sold millions of units and locked genders did not make everyone turn their back on it. There was enough classes for each genders and it fitted in perfectly. The same thing will happen in black desert after release, but now, we just have a small minority that are mad about it.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

If that's gonna stop you from buying a game, fine, but don't pretend that we won't buy it for that. The game looks great and we don't all have to look at a chick's ass to enjoy a game. Get a date out of the game like someone else said.

Diablo 2 sold millions of units and locked genders did not make everyone turn their back on it. There was enough classes for each genders and it fitted in perfectly. The same thing will happen in black desert after release, but now, we just have a small minority that are mad about it.

Yesterdays consumer is not necessarily today's or tomorrows consumer. What game companies could get away with in the past  will not necessarily fly with consumers who have more choices and more gaming experience.

Gender locking is developer lazyiness/cost cutting.It's yesterday.

I would never accept that constraint.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Yesterdays consumer is not necessarily today's or tomorrows consumer. What game companies could get away with in the past  will not necessarily fly with consumers who have more choices and more gaming experience.

Gender locking is developer lazyiness/cost cutting.It's yesterday.

I would never accept that constraint.

It's not lazyness. It does not make sense for a man to be a valkyry without the (ie) in it. 

You talk about lazyness when black desert is gonna have the best graphics of all mmo's. I think they're going mostly for a realistic approach in the name of men and women. 

Last thing, the fighting style of each classes looks to be mainly or girly based on their animations. 

You're totally wrong too. When you say cusumer, i bet you mean yourself. I'm sure you don't play call of duty or battlefield just coz you can't make a female. Don't you play GTA too because there has never been a playable female.

Think about what you're about to post before you write and click post message.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• puffmousepuffmouse Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by SirBalin

making a class only have one gender available REMOVES diversity.  Allowing certain classes to only be male and certain other classes to only be female means any of these locked classes are less diverse.

you are complaining about guys should go out and get a date, complaining that they stare at chicks ass, but then celebrate the possibility that they do not have the choice to play that same class as a male. the are FORCED TO PLAY IT AS FEMALE

exactly what were you thinking when you said this?

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Wow, so much fuss over a complete non-issue.

<3

• QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Wow, so much fuss over a complete non-issue.

To YOU it is a non-issue, but to others it is a real issue.

Personally, this is a deal breaker for me. Period. Moving on...

• AceMasterAceMaster Member UncommonPosts: 35

i don't get what the fuss is about..

They did say they will have both female and male version variants for the same class.

Even if they play different they will probably have shared skills, etc, otherwise it won be same class.

From a guess, i would think 80-90% of skills will be the same. Even if theyr skill names will be diffrent, they should perform similar or the same way , no?

The only problem i see if  they split them. Forr example fire mages are male, and watter mages are females. Which i agree, i wouldn't like.

I actualy like the idea that a female archer will play different than a male archer.

In most. games, both female and male have same strengths, wear same armor (i can trade me armor which i wear as a female to a male character, and the male version has way more covarage lol) which is quite funny and it's not roleplaying

If you guys watch game of thrones,  in my opinion, for female to play equaly they would have to look like "Brienne of Tarth"

Well basically , more man like. Which i wouldn't like.

In one game, a guy was complaining in the forum, thats males can get + 1 to swordplay, while females could get + 1 sewing .I laughed so hard.the difference wasn't that big, it meant you had to work extra as a female to be better than a male in swordplay.

I'm not biased or anything, but females and males are DIFFERENT. If not everyone one of us would be gay lol.

Most games however ignore this, and thus you got used with it.

Chears

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

"PearlAbyss (????) We don't want to make it same and just look different.   Because we want to stick to a stupid 

aesthetic for no logical reason.  I mean god forbid our players actually make characters that represent them.

"

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Hopefully they change this direction but I can't  understand eliminating choosing a game over an aesthetic choice if you still like the aesthetics of everything else. If you like the beauty of the world, the way armor looks, customization opinions other than gender, etc it's disappointing but shouldn't be a total blow.

There Is Always Hope!

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Originally posted by keithian
    Hopefully they change this direction but I can't  understand eliminating choosing a game over an aesthetic choice if you still like the aesthetics of everything else. If you like the beauty of the world, the way armor looks, customization opinions other than gender, etc it's disappointing but shouldn't be a total blow.

Yeah exactly.  I'm a bit disappointed too, but game-breaking?  Over-reaction or hysterical fuss-making.

And on the other side, I quite like the idea of treating the sexes differently (e.g. the Brienne of Tarth point).  In many games in the past, females had different stats than males, e.g. males having higher STR, but females having higher DEX.  That seems sort of right and vaguely "realistic" (so far as an abstraction goes) -  a class could easily have gender variations like this, and it work well.

Although, going back to the "anti" side again, AoC tried that for a while and it didn't work well - but that's because they didn't do it right, and it was a bit of an oversight.

Whatever, the idea that choice is being removed when the choice between a female and male avatar actually counts for something and makes some sort of gameplay difference, and isn't just aesthetic, is nonsensical.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Only a vocal minority cares about this. Dont care if classes are locked by gender or not.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    So diversity is making everyone the same? Sometimes I do not understand people.