Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Divergence Online: Checking in with Divergence Online

2»

Comments

• EthanCEthanC Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by XAleX360
    Uhm, the article says that the campaign was supposed to start on August 1st, but it's already August 2nd and there is nothing on Kickstarter.

Hi, sorry about the one-day delay. Kickstarter insisted we remove the portion of the site which lists we're "ok with people buying our products and selling them to other players" because that's considered to be an "investment-style perk" which they do not do.

What we were attempting to point out (which i'd like everyone to know is still the case) is that we choose not to criminalize our players should the decide to "Get out of the game" at a later date and either give or otherwise sell the contents of their account to other players. We may ask they pay a small percentage tarriff on this, but in no way will either the seller or purchaser be severely punished as with other games.

Thanks and can't wait to finish this game up so please don't hesitate to check us out on our kickstarter listing. Gold-level contributors are allowed to join our public teamspeak and get in on the nightly tests as early as this coming week!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/372333499/divergence-online

www.Divergence-Online.com

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by EthanC
    Uhm, the article says that the campaign was supposed to start on August 1st, but it's already August 2nd and there is nothing on Kickstarter.

Hi, sorry about the one-day delay. Kickstarter insisted we remove the portion of the site which lists we're "ok with people buying our products and selling them to other players" because that's considered to be an "investment-style perk" which they do not do.

What we were attempting to point out (which i'd like everyone to know is still the case) is that we choose not to criminalize our players should the decide to "Get out of the game" at a later date and either give or otherwise sell the contents of their account to other players. We may ask they pay a small percentage tarriff on this, but in no way will either the seller or purchaser be severely punished as with other games.

Thanks and can't wait to finish this game up so please don't hesitate to check us out on our kickstarter listing. Gold-level contributors are allowed to join our public teamspeak and get in on the nightly tests as early as this coming week!

So you don't want to "sellout to the man" but you are more than willing to be both pay 2 win and sell out to the gold farmer. Truly impressive sir.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I think if I was going to give someone money for something, I'd be looking at curing cancer or helping the poor.....It seems like trying to fund video games is a waste of money.....WHo knows how many years and millions of dollars it will be before one of these kickstarter games even becomes relevant.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by EthanC

Add in another stretch goal to cover the cost of an economist and a lawyer. Other than that, good luck with the campaign, EthanC!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

BIG huge mistake allowing others to destroy all your hard work.There is a simple reason players keep playing older games even after they get bored,they don't like to lose all that hard work they put into a game.

IMO it removes a feature,since what you are able to build can be destroyed faster than you built  it.Then i see another huge factor,it sounds like he is going to tie into the kickstarter better quality or faster,bigger building machines.I see absolutely no positive what so ever allowing your hard work to be destroyed.That is EXACTLY like perma death in a game,you are removing that players hard work.

Well good luck on this game,i do not see it succeeding with such an open system.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• shadowrwolfshadowrwolf Member Posts: 9
    i have the perfect game for you Wizardy it is hello kitty online. they are more than happy to hold your hand.

Divergence Kick starter going on right now

Between this:

"We came close to $2K tonight and it's been less than 12 hours so I'm hopeful that, if we can keep up the current momentum and perhaps build a little more, we could beat our startup campaign! This would be a huge help because I set the goal at $15K simply because... There's no actual reason to set it higher than $10 if you think about it. With these sites, the amount of money you get is based on whether you meet your goal or not, whether that goal is $10 or $10M, it makes no difference. It can only hurt you to set it higher as opposed to lower because if you don't make the goal, whatever it was, you don't get anything."

and this:

"On a financial note, if you're thinking about pledging $1 for the privilege of being able to leave a comment, please don't. I rely on my ability to say that our average contribution was above average because our fans are awesome but the occasional $1 ones murder that and i'd refund these if I could. However Kickstarter says I cannot raise this amount nor can I do that, so I'm asking people to not do that."

One must really question motive here. I mean he has stated pretty clearly that he is setting goals low because he can just run another campaign when they need more money, and yet is telling people not to pledge small amounts because it makes his marketing look bad.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• FradenFraden Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

Between this:

"We came close to $2K tonight and it's been less than 12 hours so I'm hopeful that, if we can keep up the current momentum and perhaps build a little more, we could beat our startup campaign! This would be a huge help because I set the goal at $15K simply because... There's no actual reason to set it higher than $10 if you think about it. With these sites, the amount of money you get is based on whether you meet your goal or not, whether that goal is $10 or $10M, it makes no difference. It can only hurt you to set it higher as opposed to lower because if you don't make the goal, whatever it was, you don't get anything."

and this:

"On a financial note, if you're thinking about pledging $1 for the privilege of being able to leave a comment, please don't. I rely on my ability to say that our average contribution was above average because our fans are awesome but the occasional $1 ones murder that and i'd refund these if I could. However Kickstarter says I cannot raise this amount nor can I do that, so I'm asking people to not do that."

One must really question motive here. I mean he has stated pretty clearly that he is setting goals low because he can just run another campaign when they need more money, and yet is telling people not to pledge small amounts because it makes his marketing look bad.

He's not saying to not pledge small amounts. There was a problem with trolls whom don't even believe in the project pledging the $1 minimum to talk badly about it. There is not reason for people to do that and he's asking them to not troll. That's all.

(It sucks you dont wanna see it)

Originally posted by Fraden

He's not saying to not pledge small amounts. There was a problem with trolls whom don't even believe in the project pledging the $1 minimum to talk badly about it. There is not reason for people to do that and he's asking them to not troll. That's all.

Which is why he stated that it hurts his ability to market the game right?