Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call the ambulance WoW under 8 million subs now

Comments

• omimessromimessr Member Posts: 5
    I've done enough for this game.. and i need to move on....
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Mothanos

That army of asian bots used in asian net cafe's will be out of work soon, those numbers alone are in the millions.
    Believe it or not, but WoW also has the most bots ever seen in any mmo created to date.
    Just join a battleground and see with your own eyes that in some games 50% are bots.

But we cant say those things about WoW or the fanboys come out of the woodwork to prove they are just noobs,

Fact remains that no1 knows the real number of Asian players who dont pay a sub.
    I gues that number is making at least 70% of WoW so called "sub base"

the game with the most subs is also the game with the most bots...egads... i think you're onto something batman.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Gravarg

These threads always make me laugh.  Oh no, the game lost this many subs but still has more players than most of the competition combined...it's so dead!

Anyone who knows anything about MMOs will tell you that subs gradually go down (well for the good ones anyways), then they get a boost with new content or expansions, then they slowly fall again...I'm sure ANY developer would love to launch with half the subs WoW has after 10 years...

ya but...but...all the current "subscribers" are Asian accounts who only play for 1 hour for 3 cents....

lets say they play 8 hours a day, everyday. thats 240 hours a month. 30 cents per hour is 72 dollars a month vs what we pay which is 15. Even if you were to cut that number in half and say 4 hours a day which would come to 36 dollars a month, that is still over double what we pay over here.

So to you and anyone else who likes to keep copying bullshit quotes they heard someone else regurgitate. Do the math. And kindly please use some logic. REGARDLESS if most "subscribers" are asian accounts as you say. What matters is what does subscriber mean. It means it is someone that blizzard has already accepted money from. And just doing some basic napkin math for you shows that even the less diligent asian player will still pay more than what we do for the most part. Even if you were to further reduce the halved number i came to, to 2 hours a day, it would STILL be 3 dollars than what we american/euro pay.

Is it that hard to use your brains people?

• MagKilnMagKiln Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I know alot of players have left in 5.3 for one single quest.  There's a quest (anyone player that's done it knows exactly which one I'm talking about) called Glory To The Horde or The Lion Roars.  These quests require you to PvP in a PvE questline.  What this has done is made PvPers sign up specifically for these battlegrounds to kill the PvE player with no gear and they get slaughtered.  They do this because the bonus for doing random battlegrounds is negated in full, and then some, but the utter number of kills you can get in these battlegrounds by killing PvE players.  Whoever thought of this quest idea, I don't think works for Blizzard anymore lol.

A PvE quest that requires PvP...isn't a PvE quest....just want to point that out.....

Yeah I am sure a bunch just lost it and quit the game...probably less than you suggest as this quest is a Legendary Quest line which doesn't just give you a cheap green item, you upgrade a Legendary weapon. So lvl 90 Char fully geared Raiding and questing crafting and having fun gets to this part of the line and QUITS I really doubt it.

Maybe a few quit that you know but my question is why would one quit a game so invested over 1 quest. Just stop playing because of one small roadblock....if they did goodbye. I want a community that wants to solve problems and quest regardless of the difficulty. If you ask me this was a TEST by Blizzard to see how people react to change and difficulty.  It's a SHAME that the community out there wants things just given to them. Green and Blue items sure little effort. BUT LEGENDARY items yeah you need to earn it. I think that we should praise them for making something difficult. That way when I see someone with the upgrade I can say WOW good job way to stick it out and get that. Good for you!. On the other hand most of what is happening in WOW is the opposite where people complain how hard something is and then they waiver a bit and now you see people running around with 1,000 legendary weapons in Stormwind OMG! GOOD GRIEF!. This is the true reason subs are dropping, not MOP not Quest lines, its the fact that the community is becoming a GIVE ME what I want NOW because I want it and I don't want to Break a Nail doing it. ITS MINE ALL MINE! 

I remember when seeing someone even get a Legendary item was huge, now people are complaining because the upgrade quest requires they do some PVP in a Battleground really, lets grow up some!

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

wow is old enough now to be free to play anyone still paying a sub. is of their rocker.

rather save your money for wildstar that is going to be the best mmo this year,

in my opinion and if you are going to play something else thats your choise ,your tase .

glad i have got taste.

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

Who cares if its on the decline in subscriptions. Its not like there's many options in the mmo industry, is there? The fact of the matter is that everyone will come back. They always do.

Besides, Blizzard isn't here to please every single one of you. You bitch and moan about every expansion out there because you don't want to adjust to "new" changes. How about you go make a game as if you know something about it by posting complaints; hoping Blizz will magically reverse everything for your sake cuz you say so? IF they did that, not very many people will be playing the game if it was STILL VANILLA (excluding a few that had started IN VANILLA - with resubbingx225727234 times) and that's a fact. It'd be called outdated and it has to be cancelled.

Anyways, they make profits through other things too and you guys need to shut up and quit trying to de-hype the game while it still has a lot of potential after all these years. It isn't their fault that Blizzard is shadowing every gaming company out there, lol. They aren't trying hard enough.

Sheesh.

/signed,

Still a loyal customer.

Originally posted by potlaki

wow is old enough now to be free to play anyone still paying a sub. is of their rocker.

rather save your money for wildstar that is going to be the best mmo this year,

in my opinion and if you are going to play something else thats your choise ,your tase .

glad i have got taste.

your post is full of more holes than swiss cheese.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    WOW is very old now its not suprise that its sub numbers are fallnig a bit.. its only natural..
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by gamekid2k.

You know what?  I agree.  I hate all these Journalist calling for the gloom and doom of wow for few years now.  The argue how it should go f2p.  I DISAGREE.  They will stay sub UNTIL they are NO LONGER profitable, EVEN it it means just 500,000 users.  This is business 101. 

Not true. Business 101 is that you should use the model that maximize your profit.

I guess Blizzard so far think that P2P gives the most profit but if they change their minds the game will go F2P fast.

I honestly think Wow still would be profitable with 500K players still though, at least as long as those players all pay $15 a month even if they would actually be forced to close dead servers for that.

All that does not mean that the investors are happy and Blizzard will surely try anything to turn things around, but I am not sure it is possible with a MMO after 9 years. The alternative is to make a sequel, Wow 2 could probably beat Wows record.

• Originally posted by RollieJoe

What's ironic is that if ANY other MMO "fell" to WoW's current number of subs, it would be considered amazingly and unbelievably successful. 

"EVE's only got 7.7 million active players now, doubt it will last much longer."

"A little less than 8 million people playing Darkfall now, better shut it down."

"Wakfu just announced they are barely over 7.5 million players.  Definitely dying."

See how ridiculous these statements are?  For a non-F2P game to have these kind of numbers its nothing but spectacular. 

You can also frame it in. Game loses over 5 million subscribers in just under 2 years. Last two expansions deemed failure by community as they leave in droves. Less than 60% of the community remains from games all time high.

See how you can spin anything? You saying it is ridiculous is just saying that you prefer to look at it one way instead of how investors look at it.

• hmulasmajichmulasmajic Member Posts: 27

The game has been out for almost 10 years, and just about every MMO company is dying to know what they can do to replicate Blizzard's success. 

It still has more subscribers than almost every MMO combined even though it is one of the oldest MMOs out there.

It is has turned a profit every single year and therefore it is a  commercial success.

Blizzard has a new MMO already in development called 'Titan' and with WoW's 7.7 million subs they have decided to hold off on Titan and focus more on WoW because seriously the game is a cash-cow whether you like it or not 7.7 million people still like it. You can't just ignore 7.7 million subs.

The decline of WoW subscribers isn't something Blizzard hasn't predicted already. Hence why they have Titan up their sleeves. But let's be honest even when Titan comes out there will still be millions of people playing WoW, there will still be expansions for the remaining millions that play the game.

I want everyone in this thread to take 1 second to recall the last MMO you got excited for and it ended up being a complete and total disaster.

Here is a few I can name off the top of my head but I'm sure there is more.

Guild Wars 2, Aion, Age of Conan, The Secret World, All Points Bulltetin, Star Trek Online, Champions Online, and let's not forget the titanic that is SWTOR and FFXIV.

SWTOR and FFXIV were two of the giant fail MMO titanics. Two huge franchises completely fucked up. 

Meanwhile Blizzard executives sit in their lounges laughing their asses off because they have a 10 year old out-dated game that can run on a toaster at this point that is just soaking up cash every single day. Hell, look at the new cash shop Blizzard has people are buying mounts and shit like hotpockets.

Give me one MMO that has a monhtly subscription and a cash shop that isn't dead. 

I don't even play WoW anymore because it's simply gotten old for me (this is natural) I've grown out of all of my older games, clothes, girlfriends, hobbies, etc. this is called growing up.

Life sucks. Things get boring and old. Get used to it kids.

Titan will come out, and I am 100% certain anyone here who is a die-hard MMO genre fanboy will run out to pre-order that game ASAP. 

WoW isn't dying, even if WoW had 300,000 subscribers which is what most MMOs these days AIM FOR it would still be making a huge profit and pumping out expansions for those 300,000 remaining subs. 

Peace out bitches, I made an account just to reply back to this retarded thread. 

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Well, as was to be expected, there'd never be "the wow killer". Over time, the game would just bleed users. New players would be put off by the graphics, existing players would try out other games. Still, 7-8 million users is a number that other games would wish for (exist maybe DOTA 2 or something), especially subscription based games.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Im on a 10 day Pandaria trial atm. I realize the game is not what it was in its glory days. I also let go of the fact that Blizzard made changes to class skills way back in BC when they dramatically changes class specializations and removed spell rankings. That was the start of the path to simplification.

Cata content killed off most of my guild any myself shortly after its release. I decided to try again to see how things are going with the Pandas and see that everything has been abbreviated and simplified for ease of leveling.  Dungeons that used to take 45 mins or so now only take 20. Health bubbles ala Diablo 3 drop of mobs, and I can get experience boosting buffs and gear around every corner.

I see people all around when out in the world leveling but they are all from other realms. I guess the amalgamation of servers may give the illusion of numbers, but I find it an oddity to come across someone from my actual server.

Ah well, WoW is still active and still has a die hard following so I dont think it will be going any where to soon. Besides they always have the fail safe ftp option if the bottom falls out of the ship.

• petrus4petrus4 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Nadia,  I agree with you 100%.

Still, show me a MMO with even a quarter of the WoW subscription base.... Even at this point.

Faboyish trolls like this got old before the end of TBC.

The only thing such statements demonstrate is someone who thinks that WoW or Blizzard are being "attacked," and therefore feels a need to "counterattack."

Attacking Blizzard, or WoW itself, purely for its' own sake, is not the goal.  The goal is to try and bring to Blizzard's attention, the fact that positive change is necessary.  Things actually need to improve.

Originally posted by Vocadi Im on a 10 day Pandaria trial atm. I realize the game is not what it was in its glory days.

World of Warcraft: An Autopsy.

This is how I summed it up back in 2010, in terms of what had gone wrong. I briefly played during Cata, and haven't logged on during MoP; but a look at the current talent calculator on WoWHead really told me all I need to know.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Cirin

Every game starts at end game.

<--- My avatar once again applies.

Every game can be played in many different ways.

Actually, in my opinion, this is the worse WoW has done to the genre... make people think only "end game" matters. EQ started it, WoW made it widely popular so that many MMO players think it's the only way to play such a game.

QFT

I was under the assumption that every game starts when I launch it.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

Originally posted by hmulasmajic The game has been out for almost 10 years, and just about every MMO company is dying to know what they can do to replicate Blizzard's success.  It still has more subscribers than almost every MMO combined even though it is one of the oldest MMOs out there. It is has turned a profit every single year and therefore it is a  commercial success.

This is yet another classic trolling argument, which has been made every year since at least TBC.

What this argument has in common with the last one, is that it does not address the grievances which people have, and it does not even intend to. The only real point of it is to allow the person making it, to feel smug.

The size of WoW's subscription base, is irrelevant for the purposes of what we are talking about. WoW being a commercial success, is not so much irrelevant, as it is indicative of some of the very problems we are talking about.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Only 8 million subs? Shit, may as well just close it down now. Only on this website is a game in trouble when it still has 8 million subs. Get a grip on reality and realize WoW is going to be around for a long time to come with or without you. 
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by coretex666

It reached final stage of its product life cycle.

Every product does eventually, so it is not some rare phenomenon. The length of the lifecycle is what I find extraordinary in case of WoW. It has been out for a decade and it is likely to keep going for many more years. Of course the playerbase will be SIGNIFICANTLY lower than it was at its peak or even than it is now.

I believe it can remain a profitable product for a long time. However, the revenues will likely lose some zeros. It is nothing Blizzard would not expect. The question is, do they have anything that will help them maintain as much of their market share as possible? I always thought TITAN was supposed to serve this purpose. At this point, it seems rather unlikely.

From business / economic perspective, it will be interesting to watch Blizz in following decade. I am quite curious how much of their market share will they manage to hold without their only "Titan" which is currently WoW.

WOW is a typical MMO with many servers, so a decline in playerbase does not hurt the player much.

The remaining community does not need much to have the feel of a healthy game, they could just merge everything into 1 server at the end and you still feel like it is very populated.

SWG ran on life support for years with a cashshop and minimal tech support while still making some money, so this game could go on for another decade for the niche player if they really want it.

If they want to turn this around they really have to make a U-turn and introduce a much needed upgrade to the engine.

But they can't keep those numbers in the end, it's a anomaly at the right time when it went Live.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Actually, in my opinion, this is the worse WoW has done to the genre... make people think only "end game" matters. EQ started it, WoW made it widely popular so that many MMO players think it's the only way to play such a game.

The only real goal that most people had where WoW was concerned, in the end, was epeen; basically using the game as a means of either shoring up their own lack of self-worth, or obtaining narcissistic supply, however you want to look at it.

The way they felt that they needed to do that, was to try and make themselves unique in some way; to do something that nobody had ever done before. That was the entire reason why "server first kills," existed, and it is also the reason why in the end, everyone rushed through the content as fast as they possibly could.

Nobody cared about the content. Nobody was playing the game because they actually enjoyed it, or really wanted to be there. The only objective that anyone had, was to find something within the game that nobody else had ever done before, so that if they did it, on a temporary basis at least, everyone else would think that they were awesome.

It is the same with ARPGs now as well, at least as far as the forums are concerned. Borderlands 2 doesn't suffer from this so much, but it is probably the first ARPG which doesn't. The people on its' forums aren't complete assholes; they're actually fairly decent, for the most part.

The Torchlight 2 forums were badly infected with the disease, though. The only goal there was to come up with that one character build that everyone else would bow down and worship, and therefore also the sad, basement-dwelling excuse for human life that had come up with it. As a result of this, you also tended to be viciously abused if it was discovered that you weren't using an approved spec.

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86
    So it still has 7.5 million more subscribers than the next most popular sub based mmo?
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by petrus4

The only real goal that most people had where WoW was concerned, in the end, was epeen; basically using the game as a means of either shoring up their own lack of self-worth, or obtaining narcissistic supply, however you want to look at it.

The way they felt that they needed to do that, was to try and make themselves unique in some way; to do something that nobody had ever done before. That was the entire reason why "server first kills," existed, and it is also the reason why in the end, everyone rushed through the content as fast as they possibly could.

Nobody cared about the content. Nobody was playing the game because they actually enjoyed it, or really wanted to be there. The only objective that anyone had, was to find something within the game that nobody else had ever done before, so that if they did it, on a temporary basis at least, everyone else would think that they were awesome.

It is the same with ARPGs now as well, at least as far as the forums are concerned. Borderlands 2 doesn't suffer from this so much, but it is probably the first ARPG which doesn't. The people on its' forums aren't complete assholes; they're actually fairly decent, for the most part.

The Torchlight 2 forums were badly infected with the disease, though. The only goal there was to come up with that one character build that everyone else would bow down and worship, and therefore also the sad, basement-dwelling excuse for human life that had come up with it. As a result of this, you also tended to be viciously abused if it was discovered that you weren't using an approved spec.

The entire premise of your post is that most people play WoW and games like it for reasons of ego instead of playing because they actually enjoy the game. Where do you people come up with this shit?

The entire premise of your post is that most people play WoW and games like it for reasons of ego instead of playing because they actually enjoy the game. Where do you people come up with this shit?

Close to a decade of observation. Also, not everyone plays for reasons of ego. It's actually only around 5-10%; that being the 5-10% who either use the forums, or produce YouTube videos, for the most part.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Vocadi

Health bubbles ala Diablo 3 drop of mobs, and I can get experience boosting buffs and gear around every corner.

They drop from the Monk class passive. They do not drop from every mob or any other class.

Yes the game is made for the casual in mind now. I must say there is far more emphasis on story this expansion than ever before. Tons of voice acting. I found the classes to be more defined than before and sometimes even more complex to play due to each spec often having 3rd and sometimes 4th mechanic despite the loss of traditional talent trees which were limited in choice anyway.

Class skill disparity is still quite the extreme. Paladins are still capable of being played by children with helmets. Hunters still do 70% of their damage between auto attack and arcane shot for those players who want to compete but only hit 1 or 2 buttons. Yet some classes require 10-15 button rotations to come even close ... and hold the interest of some players (perhaps even like me).

Vertical scaling is through the roof. Item levels are ridiculous. Each expansion you level through offers such better gear than greens are far better than the previous best purples. The side affect of this is that open world pvp simply cannot exist. Ignoring the fact that the majority of the players in game rarely even enter the open world (because they queue dungeon runs to level) there still cannot be open world pvp when a level 90 can kill any other player in game pre-80 with one auto-attack hit. Good luck finding a fare fight.

Sadly the game pretty much is a waste of time prior to the last 2 expansions. Honestly new characters should just log into the game at level 80. Cata content is easy and supply the learning curve. Panda content is about the difficulty old players once knew the game at. Anything before this is a pointless grind and so easy it makes you wonder why you are forced to do it. Yet they still make new zones and keep throwing new gear at you while the old world (even though it's redone) remains pointless. I'd prefer them to phase the entire world so players leveling never get to see end game players at all. Once you hit current content the entire world should be in a new phase and content difficulty raised to match end game content. All the level 85+ would be amongst themselves and have endless content. Leveling players have no place in game community any more anyway. They are just expected to shut up and level to current content anyway. No help is offered even by guilds. Queue up and shut up is the new motto.

Bliz continues to copy everyone around them and the next patch is more of the same. It is simply Bliz's take on an open world questless zone ala GW2. I imagine it will be quite different but Bliz simply adopts/borrows systems rather than develop their own ideas. The company is built on this.

What Wow is now is a game you can play with some real life friends and not require dedicated, massive guilds with tight raid schedules. This appeals to a great many players. Bliz still tries to cater to everyone but does so by splitting differing interests into their own sub-communities and has effectively made  their game world a pointless place the venture into. If you enter the game thinking it's the Wow of old you will be disappointed. You have to play it for the game it has become. Only then will you find any fun in it. Many still do it seems.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by simsalabim77

What does that have to do with you thinking "most" (your word not mine) of WoW players play for ego instead of playing because they enjoy it?

Then why was so much emphasis put on "server firsts," practically as soon as WotLK came out, which, while still an issue, had never happened as quickly or to the same degree, prior to that?

Why, as soon as people started levelling towards 80, if they weren't at a given point by a given time, they were told to "get with the times," because of the degree to which other people were rushing?

Why was there so much noise in the forums about players arbitrarily deciding who had or had not "earned the right to experience the lore," where the Illidan scripted fight was concerned, at the end of TBC?

I'm not making stuff up. I'm saying things that you don't want to hear. There's a difference. I'm possibly also talking about people who, by some chance, you just happened to somehow avoid, but that doesn't mean that said people were a minority, or even if they were, that they were not vocal.