Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To anyone thinking of trying EVE: There are NO safe places

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Wizardry

In real life we tend to treat competition with respect,we tend to group ourselves in like skill levels.There is always going to be some weaklings that feel the need to build a triple A team and join a DD division ,but then the guy in charge usually boots them to a higher division.

people tend to look for like quality in opponents in all sports.So why the need to feel superior ganking or attacking someone who doesn't want to take part,is beyond me,the common sense of it,shows me no common sense.

If we were talking about a team sport and not a conquest game or warfare simulator, that would be relevant.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

yes, there are some people who have no life and lots of money in that game. Not surprising to find people with 10 alts and 1 shoots and run and the lowbie alt finishes you off and then gets blown off, and then the other alt just loots everything...

Not paying to get grieved...

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by cagan

yes, there are some people who have no life and lots of money in that game. Not surprising to find people with 10 alts and 1 shoots and run and the lowbie alt finishes you off and then gets blown off, and then the other alt just loots everything...

Not paying to get grieved...

Humm, Well Malcanis are you seeing a trend here ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    [mod edit]

I play and mmoRPG and i roleplay the bad guy therefore i will try to blow you up .You can be stronger  or weaker,it does not matter.

Originally posted by bubbabill
    Originally posted by Zadawn
    Thanks op for the warning. I was actually considering trying the game out.  Guess ill wait for Elite Dangerous and have a solo space game with no 12 year old snot nose kid showing me his 1337 skillz. 

A 12 years old with guts. I believe that's much much better than a 40 years old wuss.

lol guts?  ganking is a act of a coward.  so next

You forgot "in my opinion". Of course the weak will never admit it.

no i didnt forget my opinion,  you just wont admit that its a act of a coward to gank.  no worry im sure you can see a shrink when you get older to help you with your anger issues. 

Never play RISK or Axis and Allies. You have no chance of ever winning in either.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

I see all the comments, and yeah it boils down to whether I want to pay money to get ganked.  Well I don't, so that's really that.  I just want to let anyone thinking of trying the game know, High sec is a Lie, you can lose it all anywhere.  And all that "new player" experience is still BS.  People will kill you for shits & giggles in this game, new player or not.  Eve can keep its "fanbase", the game allows trolls to dominate with griefing.  And for those that say "Don't piss people off" in my instance I suppose I should have said "Yeah Ill suck your 3 inch pp for you!" in order to keep the peace...NOT ON YOUR LIFE.  Maybe that's what YOU would do, but I don't. 

And I'm not crying about being blown up, I am warning those that think some areas are safe.  AND YES there is a BIG misconception that certain high sec areas are safe, I'm here to say THEY ARE NOT SAFE, that's a marketing ploy put out to sucker in new players. 

Safe flying!  (In another game!)

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by cagan
    yes, there are some people who have no life and lots of money in that game. Not surprising to find people with 10 alts and 1 shoots and run and the lowbie alt finishes you off and then gets blown off, and then the other alt just loots everything...Not paying to get grieved...

There's a difference between something that can happen and something that's common.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Broomy

I see all the comments, and yeah it boils down to whether I want to pay money to get ganked.  Well I don't, so that's really that.  I just want to let anyone thinking of trying the game know, High sec is a Lie, you can lose it all anywhere.  And all that "new player" experience is still BS.  People will kill you for shits & giggles in this game, new player or not.  Eve can keep its "fanbase", the game allows trolls to dominate with griefing.  And for those that say "Don't piss people off" in my instance I suppose I should have said "Yeah Ill suck your 3 inch pp for you!" in order to keep the peace...NOT ON YOUR LIFE.  Maybe that's what YOU would do, but I don't. 

And I'm not crying about being blown up, I am warning those that think some areas are safe.  AND YES there is a BIG misconception that certain high sec areas are safe, I'm here to say THEY ARE NOT SAFE, that's a marketing ploy put out to sucker in new players. 

Well said !

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

I have never seen this "marketing ploy".

Everyone always says to not fly what you can not afford. I can't remember anyone saying that you are perfectly 100% safe in high sec.

Can you give an example where or how they are trying to lure new players with high sec?

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    Thanks op for the warning. I was actually considering trying the game out.  Guess ill wait for Elite Dangerous and have a solo space game with no 12 year old snot nose kid showing me his 1337 skillz. 

A 12 years old with guts. I believe that's much much better than a 40 years old wuss.

lol guts?  ganking is a act of a coward.  so next

You forgot "in my opinion". Of course the weak will never admit it.

no i didnt forget my opinion,  you just wont admit that its a act of a coward to gank.  no worry im sure you can see a shrink when you get older to help you with your anger issues. 

I play and mmoRPG and i roleplay the bad guy therefore i will try to blow you up .You can be stronger  or weaker,it does not matter.

you are right it doesn't matter.  Myself ill be playing Elite Dangerous when it comes out and be able to play in peace.  you can play your little Eve and gank away.  Simple isnt it.

Now, now, let's be truthful here. I can say with complete certainty that you've never seen a CCP ad or email that has claimed that, at least not in the past five or so years.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Reactions like this is why a tiny bit of research goes a mile to provide against disapointing experiences. Anyone could have told you that Eve has a learning curve of a wall. It is brutal... In fact it is so brutal that most quit within a week, but at the same time once you get to grips with it and make some friends it is very rewarding.

But it is not for people who are not in to PvP.

This have been a good conversation

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by TalRasha

I have never seen this "marketing ploy".

Everyone always says to not fly what you can not afford. I can't remember anyone saying that you are perfectly 100% safe in high sec.

Can you give an example where or how they are trying to lure new players with high sec?

I don't think its a marketing ploy... I do think that people who don't know about EvE will try it because they hear "hi-sec" ...  However, if they actually do a little searching its pretty easy to find that people can do suicide runs on you even in Hi-Sec.

When I was active in EvE I never had this happen to me.. but heard about it often enough.

Originally posted by tawess

Reactions like this is why a tiny bit of research goes a mile to provide against disapointing experiences. Anyone could have told you that Eve has a learning curve of a wall. It is brutal... In fact it is so brutal that most quit within a week, but at the same time once you get to grips with it and make some friends it is very rewarding.

I highlighted the point I'm addressing.  In my original post I said exactly that.  It's a game for STRICTLY PVPers.  I am in total agreement with you.  If one prefers PVE (Mining/Industry/Missions)  EVE IS NOT FOR THEM because a PVPer can come and take it from you AT ANY TIME and ANY WHERE.  PVE in the game is completely pointless as is the Bounty system. 

I highlighted the point I'm addressing.  In my original post I said exactly that.  It's a game for STRICTLY PVPers.  I am in total agreement with you.  If one prefers PVE (Mining/Industry/Missions)  EVE IS NOT FOR THEM because a PVPer can come and take it from you AT ANY TIME and ANY WHERE.  PVE in the game is completely pointless as is the Bounty system. 

The things is your posts come of as both angry and surprised... So i assumed you were unaware when you started playing that hi-sec is not the same as totally safe.. a face that anyone who have played the game could have told you long before you started playing. Thus my comment about doing a tiny bit of research first.

If not you are just another tin-can crusader and i would like to make you aware of the windmills to my right...

Edit: Actually the bounty system is a very nice feature to shut annoying little limp noodels up. They play high and mighty, next they know every low bit desperate BH is gunning for them. =P That or you sell their name to some of the ganker corps... Either way works.

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

I disagree. PVE is a great way to get you started in order to actually afford PVP. A 1 month old pilot focused on PVP is very welcome to try and take what I mine... he might be up for a surprise. PVE is not pointless, PVE is ISK.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Hultay

I know what you mean Elsa. But as person who followed you in replies said, it is a mechanic and it was there from a start and it is intended. Better just to get used to it.

I admit that even I did take part in suicide ganks in high-sec. It is a really easy way to get money couse many people put officer stuff on their pve ships (why I got no clue) and just carelessly travel.

But I am not a one that stays there 24/7 and does that .. once a year or two years?

Anyway ... keep playing and have fun .. and let it get to you :)

Actually, you'll find officer stuff on more PVE ships than PVP because there is a much smaller chance of losing them.  As to why, certain mission running ship builds as well as most ships run in incursions are faction ships/faction fitted in order to achieve maximum efficiency.

Of course this makes them very expensive, and when I fly a 2-4B ISK ship in high sec I make sure there's no one trying to gank it by never AFK flying, always warping to zero, sending scouts on ahead and paying very close attention to the incursion intel channels which almost always warn people where the suicide gank gangs are.

OP is correct, there are no safe places in EVE (well, except when docked in a station, you are untouchable there) and the simple fact is sometimes you're going to screw up and lose your ship/stuff.  I've always tried to fly smart, but sometimes.... I took one too many chances and paid for it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

The things is your posts come of as both angry and surprised... So i assumed you were unaware when you started playing that hi-sec is not the same as totally safe.. a face that anyone who have played the game could have told you long before you started playing. Thus my comment about doing a tiny bit of research first.

If not you are just another tin-can crusader and i would like to make you aware of the windmills to my right...

Edit: Actually the bounty system is a very nice feature to shut annoying little limp noodels up. They play high and mighty, next they know every low bit desperate BH is gunning for them. =P That or you sell their name to some of the ganker corps... Either way works.

Wow you can ascertain my emotions over the internet!  An amazing feat!  Grats!  You basically just confirmed what I said, ANYONE CAN DIE ANYWHERE IN EVE.  Who was the audience for my post?  New players thinking of trying EVE.  Of course a seasoned player would know this.     As far as the bounty system, it means nothing, I have had a WANTED sign on me for months, no one has tried to come for me specifically.  It hasn't "shut me up" if anything I can talk smack with impunity because I already have a bounty!  So go suck it!  See that?  I can say whatever I want to anyone in EVE.  Bounties mean squat, I love it! 

Originally posted by Madatan

I disagree. PVE is a great way to get you started in order to actually afford PVP. A 1 month old pilot focused on PVP is very welcome to try and take what I mine... he might be up for a surprise. PVE is not pointless, PVE is ISK.

ISK that can be taken away at the drop of a dime in high sec space.  If you want to continue to fund pirates, play PVE in EVE! 

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    after reading all this,  i think im gonna go make an account on eve and get to a space station and just hang out there talking smack to see how many bounties I can get against me.  Should be fun :)

Wow you can ascertain my emotions over the internet!  An amazing feat!  Grats!  You basically just confirmed what I said, ANYONE CAN DIE ANYWHERE IN EVE.  Who was the audience for my post?  New players thinking of trying EVE.  Of course a seasoned player would know this.     As far as the bounty system, it means nothing, I have had a WANTED sign on me for months, no one has tried to come for me specifically.  It hasn't "shut me up" if anything I can talk smack with impunity because I already have a bounty!  So go suck it!  See that?  I can say whatever I want to anyone in EVE.  Bounties mean squat, I love it! 

Actually a fair amount of your attitude shines through in the way you type... Also CAPS = shouting (another fact you seem to be unaware of) and why would you be shouting if you were happy and content..?

Any way... I agree it is a lot easier to just pay a gank-corp to take you out then do a bounty but not everyone have those kind of contacts. and thus the bounty system works fine.. you just need to make the incentive big enough. 

Not saying you are wrong.. just that you go about things in a very backwards kind of way.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

I like PvEing in EVE because I am not "supposed" to and it makes me a thorn in everybody's side. :D

Also, moneys.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

after reading all this,  i think im gonna go make an account on eve and get to a space station and just hang out there talking smack to see how many bounties I can get against me.  Should be fun :)

That's actually an excellent idea.  It would further prove how useless the bounties are.  Make a female avatar and make sure you insult the males that try and say dirty stuff to you.  Fastest way to get the biggest bounties in game!

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I see all the comments, and yeah it boils down to whether I want to pay money to get ganked.  Well I don't, so that's really that.  I just want to let anyone thinking of trying the game know, High sec is a Lie, you can lose it all anywhere.  And all that "new player" experience is still BS.  People will kill you for shits & giggles in this game, new player or not.  Eve can keep its "fanbase", the game allows trolls to dominate with griefing.  And for those that say "Don't piss people off" in my instance I suppose I should have said "Yeah Ill suck your 3 inch pp for you!" in order to keep the peace...NOT ON YOUR LIFE.  Maybe that's what YOU would do, but I don't.  And I'm not crying about being blown up, I am warning those that think some areas are safe.  AND YES there is a BIG misconception that certain high sec areas are safe, I'm here to say THEY ARE NOT SAFE, that's a marketing ploy put out to sucker in new players.  Safe flying!  (In another game!)  

How many times have you been ganked in high sec? You say griefers are "dominating" the game, but something tells me that's not true.
  • danefahlerdanefahler Member UncommonPosts: 22

I've been playing for months in care bear land and not once have I had an issue.  (Save for the time I got popped leaving Jita in a shuttle with an officer fit in my hold)

Money which I made back in no time.

Fly a tanked ship and stay clear of Jita.  You will probably never have an issue again

You can play PVE, and be antisocial, and make isk hand over fist without a single stressful moment.  If that's what you find fun I guess.