Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To anyone thinking of trying EVE: There are NO safe places

BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

I'm not a new player, but I have always been a "carebear" type, preferring Indy and mining over PVP, staying in High sec space, etc.  Well the "Carebear" archtype was finally revealed to be a lie when I got blown up in high sec recently.  Also got a 3/4 Billion bounty placed on me for stepping into the wrong public chat room and telling a boy gamerz to shove after he told me to suck his you-know-what. 

Just a word of warning to the newbies...there are NO SAFE PLACES in EVE.  High sec is a lie, you can get ganked anywhere, there are pirates with multiple accounts that can gank you, get blown up by Concord and have one of their many alts loot your wreck.  Some jerk could place a bounty on you just for saying something in a chat room that he doesn't like. 

The idea of high sec is a marketing ploy to get more people to try the game, including the lucrative carebear/casuals that don't like high death penalties in MMOs.  I will repeat, you can get ganked anywhere in EVE.  There are players in the game with dozens of alts, that can do a lot to cause grief for the non-pvp types.    If you like PVP, EVE is for you.  If your a PVER, you may want to avoid it.

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

Comments

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

The same thing happened to me, I've only been playing a couple months and i lost about 3/4 of the money I spent 2 months making due to a well placed suicide gank between Jita and Amaar (my first noob mistake).  I was mistakenly under the impression that if you put your stuff into secure cargo containers with a password scans wouldn't reveal what you were carrying.  Ya......not true....lol.

The only thing you can do is learn from your mistakes and move on.   it's a harsh universe out there.   Bitching about it only makes the c#$nts that ganked you happier. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

No place in EVE is 100% safe, however one really does have to go some to get blown up in High Security space. It sounds like you got on someone's bad side, but it's not all doom and gloom. That bounty you have on you doesn't change when and where you can be attacked. More on the bounty system can be found here and here.

What do you fly and how do you have it fit? Post it here and more than likely several fellow EVE pilots can offer suggestions on how to make your ship more resilient against suicide attacks. Since anyone attacking you in High Sec is going to get blown up by CONCORD (NPC space police), having a set up that can hold up against the first volley of most attacks is usually more than enough.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

This is why I love EVE. Being impolite might actually get you owned :)

No offence OP, the other guy was probably more of an ass. But I like EVE because most of your actions have consequences and you can't hide forever.

In any other game you can smack talk as much as you want without having to worry about anyones fury. In EVE everything is politics, diplomacy and war. 

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

" Why im Shocked, Im Shocked I Tell You "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

" Why im Shocked, Im Shocked I Tell You "

Problem is easy to solve " Stop giving them Money "

MAGA
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    [mod edit]

Yes, because war is exactly like pvp.

I know after a long day at work I just want to go home, unwind and have some fun going to war. Oh wait, no, scratch that, it's video games.

PvP in a video game has as much relevance to real life war as your coffee filter.

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    [mod edit]

You aren't seriously trying to say playing Eve is hardcore....are you?

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by Zadawn
    Wah I died in a video game wah wah. I wonder what would peoplee like you do in a real life war seeing how you're so scared to die in a video game.

I know after a long day at work I just want to go home, unwind and have some fun going to war. Oh wait, no, scratch that, it's video games.

PvP in a video game has as much relevance to real life war as your coffee filter.

Play minecraft then.

But minecraft isn't fun.

Don't cry when you get blown up then.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Broomy

I'm not a new player, but I have always been a "carebear" type, preferring Indy and mining over PVP, staying in High sec space, etc.  Well the "Carebear" archtype was finally revealed to be a lie when I got blown up in high sec recently.  Also got a 3/4 Billion bounty placed on me for stepping into the wrong public chat room and telling a boy gamerz to shove after he told me to suck his you-know-what. 

Just a word of warning to the newbies...there are NO SAFE PLACES in EVE.  High sec is a lie, you can get ganked anywhere, there are pirates with multiple accounts that can gank you, get blown up by Concord and have one of their many alts loot your wreck.  Some jerk could place a bounty on you just for saying something in a chat room that he doesn't like. 

The idea of high sec is a marketing ploy to get more people to try the game, including the lucrative carebear/casuals that don't like high death penalties in MMOs.  I will repeat, you can get ganked anywhere in EVE.  There are players in the game with dozens of alts, that can do a lot to cause grief for the non-pvp types.    If you like PVP, EVE is for you.  If your a PVER, you may want to avoid it.

Ummm... yes? That's kind of the point. It's not like CCP gloss over this in their adverts or anything. They explicitly advertise EVE as "dark and dangerous" and that you can be a pirate or a mercenary or a bounty hunter.

It's a pity you had false expectations going in, but that's all you have to complain about: that EVE did not meet those false expectations.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Hultay

What I can advice from my YEARS of an experience is the EVEs universal rule: 'Dont undock in a stuff you cannot effort to loose'.

But dont get paranoid to the maximum :) Some paranoia is good, makes you watch for signs of traps, gangs and just makes ur survival way higher but dont to the the extreme with it :)

I wish you luck there and dont get discouraged too easly.

Best

Problem is Suicide Ganking in high security areas and Concord not able to respond fast enough. Why would one pay money to be ganked in an area you should not. CCP might want to figure this out at some point because it is costing them the new folks.

MAGA
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

CCP have repeatedly and explicity confirmed over and over and over again that suicide ganking is an intended mechanic, it's legitimate and also necessary.

As you know quite well, Elsabolts, because you've had this very discussion many times.

BTW I'm still waiting for you to place that bet on when CCP will add a PvE server. You do still believe they will, don't you?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• czombieczombie Member Posts: 82
    Wah I died in a video game wah wah. I wonder what would peoplee like you do in a real life war seeing how you're so scared to die in a video game.

Play minecraft then.

Go join a Mexican drug cartel then.  Why are you making what is essentially fake money in a video game when you could be making a ton of real money?  Put your real ass on the line if you are going to talk like a bigshot.  I don't play Eve and would play any other MMO that exists before I chose to play Eve precisely because of people like you.

• gunjinngunjinn Member Posts: 24
    of course. that's why I stopped playing this game loooooong ago. I had an impression that majority that play it are some kind of mentally troubled nerds with hard childhood. when  I asked about ganking and bullying in safe sectors,GM reply was: it is part of the game. waste of time.
  • bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    Thanks op for the warning. I was actually considering trying the game out.  Guess ill wait for Elite Dangerous and have a solo space game with no 12 year old snot nose kid showing me his 1337 skillz. 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Play minecraft then.

But minecraft isn't fun.

Don't cry when you get blown up then.

I'm not the OP. Also, EVE is a boring pile of poopsicles, I don't play it either. I literally posted in this thread just to reply to your asinine comment about war because you're such an incredible douche. Perhaps you can put on your Affliction t-shirt and go so some crossfit.

• fisch1002fisch1002 Member Posts: 9

Just think, this game is the example people use to say OWPVP works when it comes to griefing and ganking problems. I saw some jita vids on youtube, and to be honest, it is a pvp game. You shouldn't expect to be safe anywhere.

To the OP. The bounty is a good chance for you to make some cash. Clone yourself, find the weakest one shot ship you can find. Have a friend blow you up, split bounty and profit. Unless the bounty system has changed. Maybe I am wrong, thought I had heard that's what people with bounties do, have a friend kill them, collect, and split. What a system.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

In real life we tend to treat competition with respect,we tend to group ourselves in like skill levels.There is always going to be some weaklings that feel the need to build a triple A team and join a DD division ,but then the guy in charge usually boots them to a higher division.

people tend to look for like quality in opponents in all sports.So why the need to feel superior ganking or attacking someone who doesn't want to take part,is beyond me,the common sense of it,shows me no common sense.

You always need rules and you need to give each player the CHOICE,after all ,it is THEIR game.People don't login to a game feeling "Man i can't wait to get home and login to satisfy all those that want to kill me".No they have ideas of what they want from a game and it does not involve what anyone else wants although it could if you so desire but at least the choice should be yours.

Think about it,if the combat is so good,you should have no problem getting people to comply right?IMO if you have to FORCE combat onto the players,it tells me the system is not very good.So by not leaving the choice up to the players,they are saying their game would not work otherwise,that means the pvp must not be good enough to stand alone without being forced.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by bubbabill
    Thanks op for the warning. I was actually considering trying the game out.  Guess ill wait for Elite Dangerous and have a solo space game with no 12 year old snot nose kid showing me his 1337 skillz. 

A 12 years old with guts. I believe that's much much better than a 40 years old wuss.

Originally posted by Malcanis

CCP have repeatedly and explicity confirmed over and over and over again that suicide ganking is an intended mechanic, it's legitimate and also necessary.

As you know quite well, Elsabolts, because you've had this very discussion many times.

BTW I'm still waiting for you to place that bet on when CCP will add a PvE server. You do still believe they will, don't you?

Well Mal im kinda on the Fence now about PVE, Im leaning now more to the F2P model because of everyone else heading that way. I do think there Subs will be affected how much I do not know. I will say this and I think you will agree CCP will lose folks that are starting out if they get Sucide ganked a lot.

MAGA
    Originally posted by Wizardry

In real life we tend to treat competition with respect,we tend to group ourselves in like skill levels.There is always going to be some weaklings that feel the need to build a triple A team and join a DD division ,but then the guy in charge usually boots them to a higher division.

people tend to look for like quality in opponents in all sports.So why the need to feel superior ganking or attacking someone who doesn't want to take part,is beyond me,the common sense of it,shows me no common sense.

You always need rules and you need to give each player the CHOICE,after all ,it is THEIR game.People don't login to a game feeling "Man i can't wait to get home and login to satisfy all those that want to kill me".No they have ideas of what they want from a game and it does not involve what anyone else wants although it could if you so desire but at least the choice should be yours.

Think about it,if the combat is so good,you should have no problem getting people to comply right?IMO if you have to FORCE combat onto the players,it tells me the system is not very good.So by not leaving the choice up to the players,they are saying their game would not work otherwise,that means the pvp must not be good enough to stand alone without being forced.

It is a virtual world.Just like in the real world people can choose to do good or bad things. A criminal will never ask you if you want to be robbed or killed,he will do it. This is not sports,it is a virtual world.

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80

A 12 years old with guts. I believe that's much much better than a 40 years old wuss.

lol guts?  ganking is a act of a coward.  so next

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

High sec is not the same as untouchable.. As you found out.

Now with that being said Eve has some of the most unrefined and brutal systems in a AAA mmo to date, and honestly it is the only reason it has such a loyal player base. Now it has become better over time (especially the new player experience) but you really need to make friends in this game and stay on your toes about who you piss off. If you think pissing off a limp noodel is bad.. try pissing off a decent size corp.

Now i personally got feed up with it and left, i am not much for PvP and PvP rule the rest of the game. But i think it is a good game to at least try once or twice just to see how it is.

This have been a good conversation

• gunjinngunjinn Member Posts: 24
    oh wow. so pressing buttons on ur keyboard iz gutz now. gratz. lol

lol guts?  ganking is a act of a coward.  so next

Excellent response

MAGA
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    You are safe in station :)

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!