Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you miss corpse runs?

ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I miss corpse runs.

1. Seeing a pile of corpses in a zone that you were new to added to the fear/excitement of being there, and increased your alertness/caution. Or maybe it made you laugh.

2. While playing my cleric alt, I would check any corpses encountered, and see if the owner was online and could use a resurrection. Made a bunch of friends that way.

3. Random, "has anyone seen my corpse" shouts remind us we live in a dangerous (virtual) world.

4. Item 3, above, also helped introduce many bards and necros, who might otherwise be soloing, to other players.

5. On more than one occasion, my corpse was in a difficult spot, and friends rallied to retrieve it (and vice versa).

6. The idea of losing corpses kept the riff raff out of coveted dungeons. You didn't have to be a genius to camp the Ghoul Lord, but you couldn't just zerg it back in the day.

7. Norrath felt alive back then, and seeing corpses throughout the land was a big part of that. It was kinda like saying "Kilroy was here."

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Nope. Corpse runs were not fun for me.

I am glad i have choices and there are many games without corpse run.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    No. I just cut myself instead. The pain is more realistic and the fear of bleeding to death has more meaning.
  • ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I agree, it showed you whom the men were.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    No, I don't.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Chuckanar

The manly macho men of video game playing! I knew it!

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I do miss them.

And the real corpse runs from EQ, not the watered down invulnerable ones from WoW

I miss them because:

-like you said, it creates fear.....when you're fighting a mob you need to feel fear, you can not feel fear if there's nothing to lose, XP loss and corpse runs both tap into that fear

-it creates downtime, which helps the community

-it creates community like you said, you needed that cleric and necro in the case you lost your corpse, you needed that druid for sow and you needed an invis or IVU sometimes

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I have some good, funny memories of corpse runs but i don't think I miss it. I'm not anti death penalty in game or anything and if a game had corpse runs it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if the game was good but I can't say I miss it. 
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    oOo oOOoo O oOooo ooOo oOo O oOooOoo OoO
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I miss good content and that has been lacking for quite awhile in my opion.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by Chuckanar

The manly macho men of video game playing! I knew it!

Real men only play permadeath MMOs.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Waste of time.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Not remotely.  I think having to run back to your corpse is a really stupid mechanic, especially given the fact that in a PvP game, the people who ganked you the first time can just stand there and gank you repeatedly, preventing you from recovering your gear or having any real kind of chance.

Stupid mechanic, good riddance to it.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    a wise man climbs mount fuji once.  Some old mechanics we would like back others like corpse runs not so much. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Is this a real question?

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

I miss them. 

They were often the beginning of a great adventure or friendship. 

Of course having to get your corpse back sucks. But I want both highs and lows in my story. If its all highs then it is not interesting.

There are of course other ways to motivate people to play carefuly and to throw challenges in their way. And corpse runs is definatly too time consuming for some games. But deaths and corpse runs are a passable time sink and experience sink that makes experience the game take quite a bit longer and makes going for server/world  first more challenging and risky.

• AriannaeAriannae Member UncommonPosts: 40

I jump off of cliffs to get to where I need to be faster in MMOs now. It's bland and horrible game design.

Couldn't do that when my items stayed where I died. Yes, I miss them.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

They're mostly just a waste of time which sidetrack from a game's genuine challenges.

It's better for a game to focus on providing deep and interesting challenges than to enact elaborate, time-consuming, and painful penalties.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Ariannae

I jump off of cliffs to get to where I need to be faster in MMOs now. It's bland and horrible game design.

Couldn't do that when my items stayed where I died. Yes, I miss them.

In the Age of Casual, though, its a hard sell.

I just hope that we can get a few quality games with proper backing that focus on the old school style of experience. Where dying is a really bad thing, things take time, conflicts over resources with the tools to resolve them, getting to know other players/characters, and realizing that how you play has an impact on your reputation aswell as having an effect on the game world.

I want to play with people. Im not looking to play some watered down singleplayer experience that occationally requires you to click a button to spawn allies (that happen to be other players without needing to be).

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I dont,  I would rather have a more interesting mechanic if possible...maybe a minigame, challenge, or some other more harsh penalty with full respawn.

Just something else other than a boring rez run or insta-respawn as the penalty for death/failure.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Yes and no. I miss them, but I miss them the same way you see people talk about any traumatic experience from a long time ago.

I hated some of them...the first time my guild raided the Plane of Fear in EQ1, we wiped, and spent the next six hours getting our corpses.

Looking back, it was fun, but there and then at the time, no way.,

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Yes surprisingly. Not because it was fun, but because it made you think about what you were doing and it was a real consequence. You would think twice before trying to solo your way into a dungeon or sneak into a hostile city.
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by Oberholzer
    I have some good, funny memories of corpse runs but i don't think I miss it. I'm not anti death penalty in game or anything and if a game had corpse runs it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if the game was good but I can't say I miss it. 

^This describes my feelings regarding the matter pretty well (though I tend to dislike harsh penalties in any form - this one not necessarily the worst among them).

Corpse runs make for funny stories sometimes, other times it feels like the game griefing you (when you just can't reach your corpse).

Originally posted by Axehilt

They're mostly just a waste of time which sidetrack from a game's genuine challenges.

It's better for a game to focus on providing deep and interesting challenges than to enact elaborate, time-consuming, and painful penalties.

How is enacting corpse runs elaborate? And why would it be in focus?

What happens when you die in a game, is a decission that has to be made at some point. It has a great impact on how you experience and play the game. so it is an important thing to figure out. 

How can you say that corpse runs are a waste of time?

If you dont get your corpse back, you lose your gear and some xp.  It is rare that you can farm the gear and XP back faster. Or did you mean time sink? Well that they are and MMOs need time sinks in my oppinion. 

You may want games with instant, non-stop, bite-sized action with constant rewards and little penalty. But there are quite a few that have little interest in that and who want slower progression, with the possibility of a setback if we screw up, with less action but with more player interaction. So they can truly experience every level of the game, not just blitz through 90% of it.

Originally posted by krage

I dont,  I would rather have a more interesting mechanic if possible...maybe a minigame, challenge, or some other more harsh penalty with full respawn.

Just something else other than a boring rez run or insta-respawn as the penalty for death/failure.

Boring rez run?  Well I guess they could be that sometimes. Although I might have said annoying or inconvenient.

Boring, for me, would be if I had to play "red light - green light" with patrolling mobs for 30 minutes to an hour to get to my corpse every time, but it rarely seemed like that to me.

Of course asking for help could often be time consuming and boring, and sometimes fruitless.

The distance from respawn point to your corpse, respawning of mobs,  wether you have to kill what killed you to get to your corpse or not, and if someone else can get your corpse for you, are all factors in how big of a problem a corpse run is.

But there are other ways of making death a bad thing.

I mean in EQ you could use a corpse as a two way teleport if for instance you were geared in 2nd rate farming gear and needed to go to the bank and equip for a raid.. then you could always have you conveniently parked cleric rez you at your corpse after the raid. (pure speculation, almost)

In DAoC you could lose a little xp while leveling if you died and you would regain half of that if you claimed your tombstone where you died. It was a bit silly since you couldnt lose a level or any at all after level 50, but you still had to pay the healer to get your stats back and your gear took a big durabilty hit if you released from your corpse. But corpse traveling was only one way. If you wanted to get back to where you died, you had to walk there.

Corpse retrieval is by no means an essential mechanic for me, but there HAS to be something bad happening other than an insignificant fee and/or a 3 minute jog.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

I do miss them.

And the real corpse runs from EQ, not the watered down invulnerable ones from WoW

I miss them because:

-like you said, it creates fear.....when you're fighting a mob you need to feel fear, you can not feel fear if there's nothing to lose, XP loss and corpse runs both tap into that fear

-it creates downtime, which helps the community

-it creates community like you said, you needed that cleric and necro in the case you lost your corpse, you needed that druid for sow and you needed an invis or IVU sometimes

agreed.. It definitely separate the social gamer from the anti-social ones..  if you were part of a good guild, corpse runs were hardly ever an issue.. plus the zone normally had people in it to help ya..  Even in EQ, the more popular it became, the more undesirables started popping up..   oh well..