Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do some of you even want an eq1 reboot/reskin?

MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226

I played Neverwinter on AOL, much to the chagrin of my parents when they got the $150 to $200 bills, which they made me pay off doing yard work for people in our church. Maybe it was the fact I played Pool of Radiance/Curse of the Azure Bonds/Secret of the Silver Blades, or maybe it was because I was so fascinated with D&D in general that made the whole experience worth it.

I played Doom and Duke Nukem in the late 90s. I thought to myself, "What if I could 'keep' my character, in a persistent world, and play with others, but with more of a fantasy setting? Man, I'd like to be in on making a game like that."

Then I saw a friend playing EQ, and while my first reaction was, 'Damn, someone beat me to it', I started playing a vertically challenged cleric who spun when he jumped, and died every time he went swimming because I couldn't get it through my head at first to 'look up'.

So the point is, alot of what made the first EQ experience so great for me is that it wasn't neverwinter or doom. It took the best of these worlds and made a great game to which I was instantly addicted, maybe more so once I figured out how to stay alive...

So the question I have is this : Why do you even want a rebooted/reskinned EQ? Those days are past. All the nagafen red scales are sold, all the lord/hand/magi/exe and friends camp checks are silenced, all the manastones have been ebayed 5 times or more...

Isn't it time for something new? We gave them a chance and they delivered in '99. Don't you think they can enchant us again? Isn't it possible we'll be saying to our grandkids in 2035, "well, this new game is interesting, but it's no EQnext."?

Why, why, why do you insist, if they aren't 'going backwards', they can't 'go forwards'?

Comments

• TalinthisTalinthis Member UncommonPosts: 26
    i just dont want chester the cheetah, and less cartoony characters would be a bonus, but maybe they would look weird with the world they already have built i dunno
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Mattatron

Why, why, why do you insist, if they aren't 'going backwards', they can't 'go forwards'?

I'm all for going forward.  I just don't consider Disney, GW2 and WoW to be "forward".  I consider those just as backwards as EQ1.   Not interested in an EQ1 reskin at all, but some things about EQ1 and EQ2 simply weren't broken.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    The real questions is why call EQN EverQuest? It's not like the name packs any weight any more, the only people who care about EverQuest are fans who are all old now. If you're going to make EQN then appeal to your fanbase, if you're going to make something totally different, then don't call it EverQuest.
  • 4chen4chen Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by arieste

I'm all for going forward.  I just don't consider Disney, GW2 and WoW to be "forward".  I consider those just as backwards as EQ1.   Not interested in an EQ1 reskin at all, but some things about EQ1 and EQ2 simply weren't broken.

ouch. Disney, GW2 and WoW are just as backwards as EQ1? For Disney, I wonder what your childhood and your (future) children's childhoods are like. And for GW2 and WoW, what's your definition of going "forwards"? I wonder if your numbers of subs and $ would support your argument.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Ironically, it is likely due to people wanting something "different".

But different "from what" in this case refers to almost every other MMO to come out in the last 5-7 years.

Sometimes staying with an older design is fine.

Older design/game mechanics with new graphics and behind the scenes systems could do very well, it is just that no company has dared to make such a game yet. And it is clear that EQN will also not be that game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by arieste

All of this is superficial, none of it is a gauge of what direction they're really going. The truth of it lies in the pudding, which isn't ready to be sampled yet. I can't imagine many people passing up a good game, if it turns out as such, due to such arbitrary reasons, guilt by association is all this is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Ironically, it is likely due to people wanting something "different".

But different "from what" in this case refers to almost every other MMO to come out in the last 5-7 years.

Sometimes staying with an older design is fine.

Older design/game mechanics with new graphics and behind the scenes systems could do very well, it is just that no company has dared to make such a game yet. And it is clear that EQN will also not be that game.

Until someone actually promotes it. Before it even hits the market it's considered nothing but a clone with updated gimmicks and graphics. No matter what one side or the other will be blasting their horns and beating their war drums in a rally call for something different.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AksoAkso Member Posts: 4
    EQ2 graphic style on the new engine that they are talking too would have been much better than this cartoonish graphics.. not talking about a eq2 remake just talking about characters and graphic.
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I'm tired of theme park mmos with quests hubs, linear progression, and trinity combat. That's why I'm playing SWG pre cu until EQN comes out.

I like to be surprised and try new things. Kinda like food, some people are excited by weird food and others rather eat the same bland food everyday.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

In its golden years this is why I liked EQ:

1. was dropped into the world and had to figure out things for myself

2. Rushing to end game was not important early on

3. Met and talked to alot of people

4. My class meant something and even made money oiffering services to other players

5. Fear-you did not run amock in EQ1 early on with corpse runs

6. death penalty-I learned how to play my class so I wouldnt die easily

7. world exploration and finding new bosses

What ruined EQ for me:

1. Mercenaries-no one wanted to group anymore

2. solo oriented game and my class no longer needed

3. too many expansions and too much money to keep up

4. WoW took away alot of the playerbase

5. guild halls and tutorial

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Fundamentally, EQ1 was a very good game experience.  It had a variety of game systems that other games completely ignored; many weren't executed well, but they were there -- swimming, crafting, stealth, pick pockets, pick locks, begging and all sorts of combat skills.  Despite the now-dated graphics, concessions to hardware constraints of 1999, an overly large original UI, a less than pleasing 'new' UI (why did they change the graphic icons), occasionally awkward combat system and others, the original EQ1 is still a better game than many of the newer games and remarkably playable.   A lot of the original customers would love to see a more modern adaptation of the same game -- something with high polygon counts and a seamless world would still be amazing.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Mendel
    Fundamentally, EQ1 was a very good game experience.  It had a variety of game systems that other games completely ignored; many weren't executed well, but they were there -- swimming, crafting, stealth, pick pockets, pick locks, begging and all sorts of combat skills.  Despite the now-dated graphics, concessions to hardware constraints of 1999, an overly large original UI, a less than pleasing 'new' UI (why did they change the graphic icons), occasionally awkward combat system and others, the original EQ1 is still a better game than many of the newer games and remarkably playable.   A lot of the original customers would love to see a more modern adaptation of the same game -- something with high polygon counts and a seamless world would still be amazing.

And what would that do to EQ1? If they love it so much, why do they wish it to die?

• DandalusDandalus Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Yep. Liked that too.

What? Guess on my server, things were different. People were always trying to be the one who reached max level first and did <dungeon X> first.

Still do that in today's games, albeit not as much. But that's partially because I choose not to. 

4. My class meant something and even made money oiffering services to other players

True. Druids and wizards screwed over...err, catered to players for lots of $$ for ports.

True

Met lots of wee-tards in EQ1 at higher levels that couldn't play worth jack.

I thought the journey was the fun part, not raids/bosses?

What ruined EQ for me:

Due to a declining population and people multi-boxing, how can mercs be blamed for any of that?

EQ1 is NOT a solo-oriented game, by any stretch of the imagination.  Which class (besides rangers) are no longer needed?

Guess FTP sounds pretty good to you then. The little bit of $$ it took to stay current was never an issue.

And why do yout hink that was? Maybe because EQ1 was <gasp> wrong in so many ways?

I agree. Guild halls suck. Tutorials, on the other hand, if done right, are a valuable asset.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Mendel

And what would that do to EQ1? If they love it so much, why do they wish it to die?

It would be a replacement for EQ1.   And I never said it would be good business sense for SOE to do that, just that a modernized version of EQ1 is what many of SOE's existing and former customers would like to see.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Theocritus

What ruined EQ for me:

UM ?  Solo oriented ? lol try again up until ROF you really couldn't solo without raid gear unless you were a caster and found the rare mob that doesn't summon.  

Too many expansions ? lol they sell every expansoin + the new one for 40$ total go see what WOW charges :) 

Mercenaries work for a 15 year old game it kept more players then they lost.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

"just because you're goin forwards // Doesn't mean i'm goin' backwards"

Billy Bragg

Something about the OP reminded me of those great lyrics :)

anyhow I think people are confusing "the EQ feeling" with specifics about EQ.  I dunno if anyone who played EQ can ever expect to have "the eq feeling" again because we're never going to have another first MMO.  HOWEVER!!  that doesnt mean we can't have another GREAT experience.  God knows i had one with eve and still am.  not the same EQ but different, a new sense of awe.  I think EQN might be another game which can deliver this sort of feeling, but it won't happen if we are stuck on how EQN is not EQ1.  Let it be its own game, and enjoy it on its own merits.

and for f's sake dont let your disagreement on character models stop you.  the artwork on my original "eye of the world" by robert jordan is godawful.  but inside was the best series opener that i have ever read- even better than GRRM's.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

I would of preferred an updated EQ1.   The game is fine to me and would of loved an up to date game engine.   

The holy trinity was never broke.  It's one thing to improve what doesn't work anymore, but they're trying to fix things that did not need fixing.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

I want a remake because it was fun and it was a SOCIAL game. I am missing the fun in most games today and miss the social (as in social like EQ1) in about every current game.

That being said i am not against going forward, i am just afraid that changing everything, just for the sake of doing it differently, is a wrong approach. Change a few things ok, don't change everything. Even a minor and simple change would have been more then we had in the past 10 years anyways. No need to go overboard :-)

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159

I'm along the lines of thinking with William and Zara above me.  I'm reminded of the old saying "don't throw the baby out with the bath water." 

I just feel like EQN felt it had to bend over backwards to 'innovate' and make too many radical changes.  Change for the sake of change isn't a good thing. 

I am one who does not think the trinity is a broken mechanic.  I actually think going backwards to some older elements like 'some' forced grouping to foster community, maybe a bit harsher death penalty, etc. are good things.  In that sense I think it's innovating by looking to the past for inspiration.

Of course there are things that did need improving.  Of course graphics is one of those things.  However, also things like being able to truly affect the world around you and have more open world exploration.

• nahilupvpnahilupvp Member UncommonPosts: 12

Wow Ruined the market, now game are for casual players , do daily weekly, solo based, with instances .... EQ next i dont hype this game at all. it will be solo based new graphics that we gamer dosent care cuz i still play UO EQ1 and all other good game. for me eq next seem like TERA in norrath with sony fail copy paste wow.

I think mmo are ruined in 2013 because gamers also, they all greedy and want everything fast and easy. Game is for challenge, it's something pretty rare nowday.

Im going back 6 boxing in everquest 1, since all game are fail

ty

nahilupvp

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I just want a game with a solid group experience, where people actually need each other and talk to one another. A game with some depth. Tired of quest hubs, tired of almost only solo play where everyone can do everything and get rewarded for just showing up.

From the information available EQN looks like it will be a solo oriented game than people can solo together. Everyone can pretty much be a jack of all trades. No tanks or healers are required. Sure you can be them, but if you are, you're gimping yourself for solo and if people happen to group, they will just want more dps, because the content does not require tanks and healers, thus it will be easier to do and less efficient to use them.

Kind of like every other game out in the last 10 years.

There are some new things, but it seems the core is weak and shallow. We'll see if that is true or not, but I'm not too hopeful. And the real kicker, another 2 years to wait, lol.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Why? Because there are a lot of us who does not think WoW was a way forward but rather backward so why should go back to the origin of what MMORPGs great and build on that rather than the dead-end which ThemePark WoW clones has proven to been.
  • GildenloreGildenlore Member Posts: 23
    Immersion is the biggest draw of a MMORPG for me.  EQN is shaping up to be a TWITCH Console-Centric Button-Mashing Action RPG.  I don't necessarily want a reskin of EQ, but this play style undeniably kills immersion at its very core.  I can make my peace with everything else...

"Walk soft on the Paths of Society...For Subtlety is the Blessing of Sanctuary."

- anonymous

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    And people wonder why we've had eq/wow clones for the last 10 years...
  • WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

The are are 2 points to "going back in time".

First you can experience how it was. And if it was possible to go back to the middle ages to relive the fabled age of knights and damsels in distress, you would soon be frustrated by the lack of sanitation, antibiotics and freedom. Or something similar.. In games you would soon be annoyed with the lack of features you have gotten used to as well as graohics quality and production value in general.

The second reason to go back in time is to change something about the present. Many, I wont say most, gamers dont like the route that game developers went from when they played. They feel that other aspects of MMOs should have been emphatized.

It may be impossible to restart the game "evolution" in another direction. The game "biosphere" might be too hostile for that type of games to emerge.