Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Albion Online: A True Cross-Platform Sandbox MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Albion Online has been flying under the radar but Stefan Wiezorek is ready to reveal more about this cross-platform sandbox MMO. We scored an exclusive interview to introduce our readers to Albion Online. Check it out and then discuss it in the forums.

MMORPG: Right, so let’s start off with the basics – what is Albion Online, and how is it different from the usual MMORPG fare?

Stefan Wiezorek: Albion Online is a medieval themed sandbox MMO, which offers true cross-platform play between PC, MAC, Linux, and iOS and Android mobile devices. All players share the same persistent world on one big server and across all platforms.

Our goals are to create an MMO with an old school feel to it that offers territory-based guild vs guild battles (GvG), full loot, a fully player-driven economy and item based character development, without punishing the player with an endless grindfest, but keeping death meaningful at the same time.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Albion Online: A True Cross-Platform Sandbox MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Please bring back some old school MMO gaming again.
  • pekshmaerpekshmaer Member Posts: 58
    old school!!!!!!

hmm

• BercilakBercilak Albion OnlineMember Posts: 108

We will do our best ;)

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    This game looks perfect in so many ways i hope they deliver! Especially when 90% of android "mmorpgs" are garbage.
  • DalaimocDalaimoc Member UncommonPosts: 29
    i stopped reading after "full loot pvp"  and "all gear is player crafted" - good luck with your niche game

• AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Being the old UO nerd that I am, I can't wait to try this game out!
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Full loot PVP ? I am in as soon as i can..

cant wait to see more of this..

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I lost interest after reading "mobile".
  • nuk3meisternuk3meister Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited February 2016
    Removed.
    Post edited by nuk3meister on
  • DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291
    Full loot PvP????? Can't wait to write new scripts for this..players beware I'm coming...j/k
  • archisisarchisis Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Eww, full loot pvp and mobile? No thanks, but good luck with the game  :)

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I was interested as well up until I read mobile.  You do realize how much that limits your game right? 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• BercilakBercilak Albion OnlineMember Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    I was interested as well up until I read mobile.  You do realize how much that limits your game right? 

We have run several alpha tests already, in particular with some very well known Darkfall guilds all playing on PC and I think everyone was having lots of fun. AO is a full sandbox MMO with all the necessary features. If a typical MMO feature is not yet implemented it is because we have been in development for just over a year. 

We have some very senior developers in our team who have done some great magic bringing this game on tablets.

Kind regards,

Bercilak

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Bercilak

We have run several alpha tests already, in particular with some very well known Darkfall guilds all playing on PC and I think everyone was having lots of fun. AO is a full sandbox MMO with all the necessary features. If a typical MMO feature is not yet implemented it is because we have been in development for just over a year. 

We have some very senior developers in our team who have done some great magic bringing this game on tablets.

Kind regards,

Bercilak

I am dying to give this game a try as a beta tester. I really like the idea of a mobile MMO that I can also play on my PC. I also follow you guys on facebook. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• nuk3meisternuk3meister Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited February 2016

Removed.

Post edited by nuk3meister on
  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

IMO sandboxes need a lot of depth.  In the terms of a huge variety of resources and craftable gear that is meaningful for PvP. 

U mentioned Darkfall and I am a Vet.  The reason the new darkfall is failing is due to this lack of depth. 

DF1 had a very deep enchanting system that really kept players long term.  I hope you guys can replicate systems with that kind of depth.  Or else people will just try this out on mobile for a short time and leave. 

I love your game design from what I have heard so far.  But like most hype,  it only scratches the surface. 

The thing that scared people when u mention mobile is the lack of depth in combat,  I hope you guys are able to create a lot of unique abilities and fun combat.  But also thousands of deep crafting options

• theandruidtheandruid Member Posts: 2
    *sorry, see below

• theandruidtheandruid Member Posts: 2

I alpha tested this game with the guys from Sandbox on my PC; let me tell you, any "mobile" additions or aspects of this game, not only, do not take anything away from an awesome experience... It adds the ability to finally play a good game on your tablet.

Sandbox MMO are not limiting their game by making it for mobile devices; they are revolutionizing the way we think about mobile games.

SO Chirsbox, you can go ahead and wipe and preconceived notions or prejudices you have for mobile gaming right out of your head.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I stopped reading at "Albion." I mean, naming it after the oldest known name of Great Britain. Real nice, good luck with your anglophilia, pervs!

btw this was a parody post.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

It sort of seems like the development team is coming onto the forums and asking their players to come onto these forums as well to discredit any concerns... However it stands to reason that there is a valid concern in the fact that this is a full loot PvP game. It has been proven over and over again how little success these games have (I swear if someone mentions EvE, one of the only games to have significant success...), and my concern is that new players will be overpowered by people who have been playing longer.

This sort of system does have a very large imbalance because of the large gap in power between new and older players. It seems though that maybe the crafting and no levels in this game is trying to address that situation so maybe this will actually be one of the first full loot PvP games that doesn't feel so unbalanced. I'll have to wait and see and will definitely be keeping an out on this game.

Edit: When going on the site I was very disappointed to find this comment in the facebook feed: "An Interview about AO on MMOPRG.com. Would be great if you guys could go there and leave a comment or eventually hype the game. Thank you for your support in advance!"

Asking players to hype the game is, I'm fairly sure, against MMORPG.com's rules.

Smile

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Enjoy guys. Hope ya'll have fun

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Grand Theft Auto 4 exist in android version.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    NO interest after full loot pvp comment.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by falc0n
    This game looks perfect in so many ways i hope they deliver! Especially when 90% of android "mmorpgs" are garbage.

90%? That's generous. :)

Joined - July 2004