Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How hard core is it?

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
So like the title says...ARR promotes grouping from what I've been reading. It has some challenging content, then against does GW2. But how hardcore is this game. How long will it take to beat the content? Are there death penalties?  Just curious. I'm currently playing GW2 casually on and off. My friend is trying to get me to look at this game. So that's what im doing.  I'm an old EQ1 fan. 

Comments

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Great question. I would like to know if questing is challenging or is it a solo bore like every other game
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    So like the title says...ARR promotes grouping from what I've been reading. It has some challenging content, then against does GW2. But how hardcore is this game. How long will it take to beat the content? Are there death penalties?  Just curious. I'm currently playing GW2 casually on and off. My friend is trying to get me to look at this game. So that's what im doing.  I'm an old EQ1 fan. 

FFXIV has content for all players really.

The duty finder will be the hub for most of the easier content, you simply que up and a group gets made for you to do whatever instance or content your queing for.  

The hardest extreme difficulty content will require premade groups of either 4/8/24, depending on the size of the raid or dungeon.   This is what hardcore free companies will be aiming for.

Oh and in addition to all of the instanced content, there is open world events some of which will actually be rather challenging like the Odin boss.  

Basically all in all, there is content for casuals and content for really hardcore players like myself.  Hope this helps !

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by vtravi
    Great question. I would like to know if questing is challenging or is it a solo bore like every other game

Most of the side questing is generally solo able, however for the mid-later story quests and group quests which can actually be pretty tough.

Yoshida has said that the most difficult content is not going to be in the form of open world instances or quests because they will just get zerged like in GW2, which isn't fun or challenging.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Some of the hardest areas in AION were open world group areas. They were also the most fun. Hmm I will keep watching and looking. My long term sites are set on EQN. But I will start watching this title. Thanks for the responses. 

Only reason  I haven't really looked much into it. Is I am tired of quest grinding games. Also while I don't have an issue with leveling. I've never been much of an alt person. And always trying to keep up or stay along with friends with my  crazy long hours at work can be hard.  That's one of the things I love about GW2 I can play anytime I want and never worry about getting out leveled or out leveling my friends. 

However I will keep watching this game.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

FFXIV arr gives you multiple options on how you wanna level. In the beginning do your main story line till up to like level 10. Doing the main storyline unlocks other activities you can do. Also do your class's story line to unlock the hunter log.

The hunter log gives you a list of monsters and the amount of time you hafta kill them to get it checked off the list. Once you fufill a group of those you can xp and gill reward. The gill and xp increases as you do those, and you will unlock higher ranks of mobs to do once you complete all of the current ones. Like it starts at rank 1, complete all those to open rank 2, and so on.

Edit: each class has their own hunter log, found that out when I was doing gladiator then switched to conjurer, I had a different list of mobs to do starting at rank 1 again, once I got it unlocked with conjurer though its story line.

There are also guild heist, which are group instanced fights. They start off with a group of 4, I think those start at lvl 10, and new ones every 5 levelish? Those also give xp and gill the first time you complete those. I don't think they give xp/gill more if you reap um though.

During the main storyline you will hafta group up with people to do dungeons, can form groups for that with the dungeon finder.

So ye ffxiv arr gives you a veriaty of ways to play.