Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long untill they break? Or will they?

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

So one of the most promising things about ARR  at least to me is the fact it is launching as a P2P. For me that's means it will keep alot of the dregs and freeloaders away that ruin so many communities. We see it time and again game goes F2P and suddenly the global chat channels or OOC channels are flooded with nonsense and trash talk. Communities that invest in their community are  usually 100 times better.  

However, in today's market can ARR survive using a P2P  model. Will the publishers break in an attempt to bring in more money and switch to a F2P game with a cash shop.  It seems after Trion broke and went F2P who many thought were the last bastion, there is no hope of maintaining the P2P as there are justnto many other options  available. so what do you all think? Vote and  post thoughts below

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

P2P is a design choice.

FFXIV is self-founded by Square-Enix.

Only reason they would ever go F2P with FFXIV is if they completely abandon the game, which probably won't happend considering how much effort they put into recreation of ARR.

It's highly unlikely this game will go F2P.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I don't think they will.

They already invested a lot of money to completely redesign the game. I think they are clear on what type of audience they are looking for/can expect and as long as they can keep giving players things to do they should be ok.

After all, there are a lot of players who prefer p2p for a variety of reasons.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

I give it a year.  I can't see it doing well enough to keep SE from chasing more money and switching to F2P.

I want them to stay P2P, but it's bucking the odds to bet they stay with the Subscription model.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

FF11 is an almost 12 years old game and is still going pay2play despite it´s reduced playerbase.

I see no reason for FF14 to go free to play anytime soon.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    since in interviews yoshi p has said he has no intention of going f2p i dont see it happening. He said from a design standpoint it creates a more consistent ability to design the game. That way you are not designing something for that next big payday like other games do. Oh introduce this item so they all buy then next month that item. He doesnt want that.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    They aren't chasing WoW numbers. They will stay P2P. They already footed the bill to redo the entire game. As long as they continue to provide quality endgame content, they won't need to go F2P. There is a large enough base of people who hate the whole F2P / B2P market and the cash shops and RNG chests that come with it.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    FF11 has been P2P for 11 years now. Don't expect it to ever go F2P unless it's a complete failure again, which it wont be as they did a fantastic job this time. If Square Enix had the mentality of "it's failing let's just go f2p and we'll make bank" they wouldn't have remade the entire game when it failed the first time.
  • strellokstrellok Member Posts: 48

It absolutely amazes me when they say the game will shut down before it ever goes f2p.

I wanna support that.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    They said they'd shut it down 1st and I really believe that. If it fails, I think they'd pull the plug on 14 and just move on rather than damage the "Final Fantasy" title for future games.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by Torcip
    FF11 has been P2P for 11 years now. Don't expect it to ever go F2P unless it's a complete failure again, which it wont be as they did a fantastic job this time.

I think they'd scrap the game before they'd make it F2P (B2P) again.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    OP I'm sure someone has said this already, but their magic number is 400k.  They are going to get 400k subs in japan alone, worldwide this game will last just as FFXI did before it.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

As Yoshi said before...

He would rather see the game close down than go F2P.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • R1zlaR1zla Member Posts: 25

Many players dont want to play this f2p / b2p cash shop crap. Even WoW sells pets and cosmetics and EVE sells plex. If you want a pure P2P AAA mmorpg this is THE game to go to for those ppl, considering its also a great game

As Yoshi himself has said he doesnt ever want this game to go f2p and would rather close it down if it was failing. Also FFXI is still p2p 11 years on

I think its safe to say that it will not be a f2p game, ever