Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV vs GW2?

CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
Looking at FFIXV, it looks a lot like GW2 (a bad thing). Could anyone provide any insight as to what will make this game better than what is currently done/out there?

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

they are miles apart imo

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by CallsignVega
    Looking at FFIXV, it looks a lot like GW2 (a bad thing). Could anyone provide any insight as to what will make this game better than what is currently done/out there?

It is nothing like GW2:

• Battle system
    • UI
    • Grouping
    • progression
    • Crafting
    • Housing
    • Payment model

In pretty much every aspect of an MMORPG they are completely different.

They are pretty much polar opposites with one feature in common FATEs (optional open world, non-claimable spawns, and events).

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    LOL the games are like the total opposite of each other
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

LoL OP, have you even read up about the game at all? The two games you are trying to compare are nothing like each other.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

The only aspects of those two games that resemble each other are FATEs from FFXIV and Dynamic Events from GW2, everything else is pretty different. There isn't that much in FFXIV that hasn't been done before in some way - besides maybe the specific combination of features - but everything is pretty solid and in a nice FF-colored package. That's fine with me, personally (and apparently the same holds for a good number of people).

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

OP next time you post you should read a little more about the topic you are posting about.

The 2 two games are completely to different games. Unless you think all fantasy game are the same games. That would be the only way you could think they are even close to each other.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Even though I'm fairly sure this is another troll thread, I'm feeling frisky so I'll take the bait.

FFXIV doesn't actually have any one concept/innovation that is better than anything that is "currently done/out there".

The one biggest selling point is the ability to play each class on a single character, and change classes by changing your weapon. Cross-class in and of itself was also a key part of FFXI (among other MMOs), so it's hardly ground breaking.

Totally nothing like GW2. You change your weapon in GW2, you get different skills, but your still the same class, and since there's no trinity in GW2, it doesn't matter all that much. Maybe that's where the confusion sets in.

To me, what has set ARR apart from other games in the genre isn't what it does differently from other games, but in the attention to detail it places in what is there.

It won't be for everyone, Final Fantasy is not Western-native, S/E is not a Western-based company, and the West in general isn't their primary target audience. A lot of people may just try it out of Final Fantasy nostalgia/curiosity. If you don't dig it, it's ok. Heck, I may not even dig it after it releases (I certainly didn't 1.0), but I like what I've seen on the reboot so far and I'm going to give it a shot.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    I think this might be one of the few times i've actually facepalmed in real life. Damn OP...just....damn.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• daystar18daystar18 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Like stated, they are both opposite games.  GW2 is an action mmo while ffxiv is a traditional tab target.  If you're looking for something "new and innovative" dont look this way.  This is a game is more traditional, which alot of people (myself included) enjoy.
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

FFXIV looks a lot like  GW2?

Ya i guess Batman looks a lot like Superman too, right?

i mean both of them are superheroes .

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

huh? what world you guys live in? FFXIV and GW2 are the same, here is why:

1. Both are MMOs.

2. Both of them you need to buy.

3. Both of them require an ID and password.

4. Both of them are playable by keyboard and Mouse.

5. Both of them have a character creation screen.

6. Both of them have different races in game.

need I say MOAR? stop bashing the OP he is right. they are EXACTLY the same.

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang

huh? what world you guys live in? FFXIV and GW2 are the same, here is why:

1. Both are MMOs.

2. Both of them you need to buy.

3. Both of them require an ID and password.

4. Both of them are playable by keyboard and Mouse.

5. Both of them have a character creation screen.

6. Both of them have different races in game.

need I say MOAR? stop bashing the OP he is right. they are EXACTLY the same.

I am guessing you are being sarcastic but.. please i dented my head when i read the op's post. do not give him straws to grasp on please.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

FFXIV arr I can actually tank in dungeons.... GW2.... well I started as a gladiator and planed on tanking, then I discovered there was no agro system, I couldn't taunt/provoke anything. I couldn't even heal a single target. Yep I quickly quit that game, shoulda read up more on it before getting it.

FFXIV arr has the traditional roles, healer, tank, dd, support. GW 2 everyone can pretty much take care on themselves, and no one is really important to anyone. Players will mean a lot more in FFXIV arr, since everyone will play their part and work with others, not everyone just do there own thing like in GW2.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    FFXIV is the first big game coming out thats gonna fail big time.

It might have a shot in Asia but even there I think its a small one at best.
    We already have world of warcraft and 1000 clones of it, we don'ät need this
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I'm not going to get all upset at you and start ranting like the rest of the posts in this thread, but I would like to ask what you found so similar between the 2 games? 

Although, the posters are right, assuming you are trolling or are stupid doesn't make them any better for saying what they said.  Just curious though as to which features GW2 has that you thought you might have seen in some way with FFXIV?  Once you give us that, we can help clarify, hopefully in a less demeaning way. ;D

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

So, because you think it's too similar to WoW you think it will fail?  Have you played FFXIV:ARR?  While similar, it deviates in setting and lore and STORY and carries the awesome Final Fantasy IP very well, one that has been around longer than the Warcraft IP.  Not that really matters too much but I for one loved WoW and I love this game.  So for me and others like me, we DO need this.  

It's the first real game since WoW to feel like WoW yet still stand on it's own merits to pull away from the pack.  It will do well, you will be surprised at how many FF fans their are and who will pick this up on the PS3 and PS4.  I know I'm going to get a copy for all 3 platforms so I can play with my sons because the game actually has "longevity" unlike WoW where I took a break after 4 months once I had maxed a character out. 

Bah...why did I respond to this troll,  stupid FF passion lol.

• XarusXarus Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

We are all entitled to our opinions .. However  "???????????"  

Edited to add: That series of question marks was originally Kanji .... it loses a lot in translation so you win this round. 

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    FFXIV is the complete opposite of GW2. For that , I ll be happily playing it.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Soki123

Same for me, but the other way around, FF as the 2nd attempt to launch a failed game, I am happy playing GW2 with a healthy community.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    If you love crafting.....FINAL FANTASY XIV  has far better crafting than GW2.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Muke

Same for me, but the other way around, FF as the 2nd attempt to launch a failed game, I am happy playing GW2 with a healthy community.

I think Final Fantasy will have a pretty stable community this time around. There are lots of people who seem to be really into it. The simple fact that you feel that you need to state that GW2 has a healthy community says something.....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Muke

If by healthy community you mean a community that probably has schizo-affective disorder or possibly avoidant personality disorder and love that single-player GW2 experience, then yeah, I can probably see what you mean.

• dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152

i agree totally 

To me why i play these games ff types of games is your role.

your role in a dungeon,  is to help, acomplish, and work as a team!!

And you feel good about yourself ,cause you actually did your job worked as a team, and  your teammates actually depend on you doing your job  because with out you they cant complete the task at hand ,and they let you know hey mann,

goood job!!! you kept me  in healz,  you kept aggro, you saved my life lol cuz that mob had me. and what ever class you play your role is important in a party . 

but games like guild wars2 ya while fun but where is the real fun in it. no class is dependant on onother so not fun to me ,why do u think peeps still play ff11 cuz the fun factor of people working together ,tank healer dps ,agrooo, heals  revive shield hey lol im sure you guys see my point.

gammer 4 life
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

A lot different in how the games function really. Try both (when you can for free) is my suggestion... otherwise I would say personally Final fantas XIV. Not a perfect game but to me its a much better designed game. Wasn't at all times mind you, but its remake fixes a lot of the issues. GW2... yeah... its just not very mechanically sound. I'll just leave it at that.

But again, try them both yourself, FFXIV during the beta weakend if you can, and GW2 when they do the free trial again sometime. FFXIV will probably be a bit tougher to judge long term, though GW2 you can tell after an hour of playing whether you like it or not since it changes very little on the way.

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

FFXIV:ARR and GW2 do share some things in common -- which is not at all saying FFXIV copied off of GW2, since other games, including pre-ARR, already included some of these things -- besides basic login and character creation, experience points, armor, weapons, and spells, dyes, classes, dungeons, and so on...

- Similarity of FATEs and GW2's dynamic events (RIFT's rifts as well) has already been noted. The system for both games offer three levels of reward.

- Both offer a level syncing mechanic.  GW2's is of course inherent.  FFXIV's, however, is only automatic for, I believe, dungeons and story "missions", and there's a manual sync of participating in FATEs.

- Both allow you to explore a story that includes personal instances/phasing.

- Both have the player selecting one of three cross-race factions to join later on as part of the story.

- Both have non-competitive gathering nodes (ie you can't steal somebody else's node).

- Both games allow any player to gather all material types (BUT FFXIV requires you to switch gathering classes to accomplish it).

- Both games allow any player to produce items from any crafting profession (BUT they accomplish it differently: FFXIV is structured as crafting classes, while GW2 limits you to two professions at any one time).

- Both games allow players to be rewarded for (sufficiently) participating in a kill.

- Both games have loading screens when moving to an adjacent zone.

- Both games have two or more zones "grouped" into regions that share the same visual theme (obviously so do TOR, TSW, etc., but WoW mostly doesn't).

- Both have a quick travel system inside their cities (although mechanically they are somewhat different).

Overall the differences between the two games are far more striking than their similarities.  They seem to be designed around mostly different philosophies.