Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you say Final Fantasy XIV is the Game of Thrones of MMOS?

burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

Game of Thrones is the most popular TV show on the planet. I would say Final Fantasy XIV will end up being just as epic and the closest thing in MMOS to come to the tv show.

/discuss

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by burdock2

Game of Thrones is the most popular TV show on the planet. I would say Final Fantasy XIV will end up being just as epic and the closest thing in MMOS to come to the tv show.

/discuss

No. FFXIV is high fantasy while GoT is low fantasy.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

/discuss

/facpalm is the only thing that comes to my mind right now...

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SpeakzzzSpeakzzz Member UncommonPosts: 29
    The first one was a flop.  I played the closed beta for this one, it is nothing special.  Also how do you compare a game that was so bad that they remade it to a tv show that established itself as a success over three seasons?  
  • nightowl79anightowl79a Member Posts: 26

O.o No way Final Fantasy even compares to game of thrones. I love both final fantasy and game of thrones, but Final Fantasy Arr can not compare to game of throne's epicness.  The story I played in the beta(i know its just beta) was forgettable, and barely passed as a story(TO ME =D). The game play is not the most epic I have ever played either. Game of thrones on the other hand I would go so far as to say is now one of my favorite books of all time. I have read all the books out, and watched every episode available. Unless ARR can somehow make me cry like game of thrones has, or give me the same elation as Daenerys, or make me laugh as much as Tyrion  there is no way it can even compare. 

Don't get me wrong Arr is pretty nice looking and I will for sure play, but you cant compare the two. 

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

/discuss

No, FFXIV probably would be robb during the red wedding. The Frey would be us , massacreing it once it is released.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Not even in the same league. Final Fantasy, while polished (finally) and a solid MMO in most regards, is largely forgettable. GoT / ASOFAI is not.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Gotta be troll thread.. surely?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

With all due respect, even the biggest ARR fans wouldn't dare make this comparison.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    No Age of Conan is. Why? More breasts.
  • nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by cybersurfr

With all due respect, even the biggest ARR fans wouldn't dare make this comparison.

Pretty much.  I don't even see how you can even logically link the two, it boggles my mind.

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148
    terrible troll
  • DragonMyth88DragonMyth88 Member UncommonPosts: 245

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

FFRR is not going to be popular amongst the general MMO populace after a month or so. Just core ff fans will keep at it.

GoT is popular because it's days of our lives with different set costumes. I'm still baffled as to why fantasy nerds like it, it's terrible, poorly written (save for a few lines) and the characters are surprisingly flat with little reason to connect with any of them. I read the books long before there was talk about a TV series, but it's just not good fantasy; it is great melodrama though and people will eat it up. For political gamesmanship I'll take house of cards over GoT any day.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Rusque

FFRR is not going to be popular amongst the general MMO populace after a month or so. Just core ff fans will keep at it.

GoT is popular because it's days of our lives with different set costumes. I'm still baffled as to why fantasy nerds like it, it's terrible, poorly written (save for a few lines) and the characters are surprisingly flat with little reason to connect with any of them. I read the books long before there was talk about a TV series, but it's just not good fantasy; it is great melodrama though and people will eat it up. For political gamesmanship I'll take house of cards over GoT any day.

I disagree. I don't think it will have WoW numbers or anything, but it will keep a good number of people occupied for some time. It will be especially popular with the former WoW players that are currently looking for something new. It has a decent amount of endgame and a slower leveling curve so it should keep them entertained for awhile. It won't be like SWTOR, TSW, and GW2 where half the population is gone a month or two later.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I think FFXIV will be the next best online game that will actually attempt to use your graphic card on the market until ESO comes out.    Thus, exploers who love realism like me will play this game until ESO comes out and saves us.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Considering how much I dislike GoT, I am not even sure how to look a this thread. Tbh, the most popular MMO (WoW) already exists. Maybe you should compare them...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

/discuss

I don't really get the comparision Game of Throne was never canceled, or suffered from a horrible first season. So I don't see how the two relate.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

That's all you base the comparison on?

• SkylightFortressSkylightFortress Member Posts: 34

No way the two can compare, Game of thrones is on a differnt scale of epic than Final Fantasy 14 arr. 

Even compared to other new mmo's I don't think final fantasy will be the most popular or even runner up. 

Not saying anything bad about the game, I just think there is a smaller audience for a game like this.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

I disagree. I don't think it will have WoW numbers or anything, but it will keep a good number of people occupied for some time. It will be especially popular with the former WoW players that are currently looking for something new. It has a decent amount of endgame and a slower leveling curve so it should keep them entertained for awhile. It won't be like SWTOR, TSW, and GW2 where half the population is gone a month or two later.

I disagree with you about the game yet I agree with Rusque about the quality of GoT lol.  I too found the books and then the show while mildly entertaining, just not very good in the way I like my stories and fantasy.  All GoT does is make me hate characters with a passion and never get any satisfaction from justice being served or a nice love story etc.  It is just pure melodrama and very depressing at that.  Life can suck, but not as much as that series makes it suck lol.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    GOT, is and amazing show, probably my fave. Damn, a new show has me as excited, and can t wait for season 2, and that's Vikings. I might end up liking that show more. As far as FFXIV, it s a really good MMO, but I still think there we re better.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

I disagree with you about the game yet I agree with Rusque about the quality of GoT lol.  I too found the books and then the show while mildly entertaining, just not very good in the way I like my stories and fantasy.  All GoT does is make me hate characters with a passion and never get any satisfaction from justice being served or a nice love story etc.  It is just pure melodrama and very depressing at that.  Life can suck, but not as much as that series makes it suck lol.

That is because GOT story isn't finished yet. Still 2 more books to go to tie up all the loose ends.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney